Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

On the off-chance anyone cares, recent trailers uploaded by the FFXV YT channel (subtitled versions of existing trailers) suggest that there may be two French and two Spanish translations of FFXV (NA and European for each). Not sure about Portuguese.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

NikkolasKing posted:

I wanna play Xenoblade someday. I hear it isn't too bad in terms of story and stuff but, as you said, it doesn't seem to have been filled with the same kind of ambition as Xenogears. Xenogears has a mess of problems, as all its fans acknowledge, but we forgive those problems because the characters and story and world are just so damned good.

Xenoblade doesn't seem to have that. I am not saying its story is bad, but I've never heard anything like it being the prime reason to play the game.

Also Xenogears has one of the best OSTS in JRPG history. Never heard much about XC's music either.

Xenoblade is definitely filled with the same sort of ambition that Xenogears was, it's just that ambition wasn't mainly directed at story telling this time. Their ambition was in creating a huge open world based on a really neat idea (the world map is on giant gods) a good battle system, a simple, but fairly well told story.

I am a huge Xenogears fan, but I think the sum of all its parts makes Xenoblade so amazing and well done. Xenogears kind of coasts on its story. Both games I love, but for wildly different reasons and both are pretty ambitious games for what they set out to do.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
the only reason anyone ever liked xenogears ever was because it was evangelion the rpg complete with hot red head anime babe

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

corn in the fridge posted:

the only reason anyone ever liked xenogears ever was because it was evangelion the rpg complete with hot red head anime babe

seems like pretty sound reasoning imo

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
If I'm going to subject myself to TAY, what's the best version to get?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ApplesandOranges posted:

If I'm going to subject myself to TAY, what's the best version to get?

The one where you shove glass in your eyes instead

PSP

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

But I don't like Evangelion while I love Xenogears.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Evangelion and Xenogears aren't even that similar? :shrug:

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

MonsieurChoc posted:

Evangelion and Xenogears aren't even that similar? :shrug:

But religion and giant robots!
Sact sam ething

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is some Evangelion in Xenogears but there are a whole lot more other giant robot stuff in there as well, the whole game is basically a love letter/homage/parody to the genre.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I love Xenogears and I couldn't get into Xenoblade at all.

I made this post the last time I played the game in the RPG thread.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The more I play Xenoblade, the more bored I am by it. I'm at the snow mountain about 35 hours in. It's a slog. 3,000 steps down the mountain. The characters move so drat slow that it would be tedious even without being interrupted by battles. While I like that the battle system is unique and makes you do more than just press attack, in each area you'll fight the same 2-3 monsters over and over and you do the same thing in each one to win. It's repetitive.

I finally got down to the destination at the bottom of the mountain, then I went on a fetch quest to get an item to open a door. Now I have to do 1500 more steps of walking through the snow, goddammit.

Story is sub par. Except for Rayn, characters are devoid of personality. Dialogue is bland "You are the chosen one to wield the Monado" type stuff.

Unless I'm totally not understanding something, the shopping system for weapons and armor is a nightmare. It takes me a minimum of 20 minutes each time I get to a shop. You can't compare weapons and armor straight up because you have gems equipped. So I have to write down what gems each character has, remove the gems, then compare them, buy things, go through the mountain of collectables I have and see what I can sell, then equip it all and put the gems back. At this point I'll usually go do gem crafting to get that out of the way. That's another 10-15 minutes.

The music is good and the environments are pretty, I'll give the game that.

I can't understand how this game got better reviews than Nier. Even the side quests are much more enjoyable in Nier. At least there they're accompanied by witty banter.

And everyone either agreed with me or said "why are you still playing a game you don't like." So I quit.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3353352&pagenumber=343&perpage=40#post438653087

It's kind of exactly what I felt about FF12. Dull characters, uneventful story that I didn't care about, slow monotonous MMO gameplay, extremely tedious skill system and weapons/armor system, annoying filler sidequests. Music is good and the world is pretty, but that's not enough.

How did you feel about FF12, Nikkolas?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I appreciate that quote for the following convo about how there's no way we'll get Trails past SC.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also got bored of Xenoblade and sold it pretty quick. I didn't realize it had MMO combat before I bought it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Her hair is brown excuse me

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

I don't understand how anyone could dislike a game where you kungfu fight in giant robots and kill God.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

From the next page in that RPG thread:

The Black Stones posted:

ImpAtom posted:

Xenoblade is a fine RPG but it got really way overhyped as the second coming of JRPG Jesus for some reason.
Because it's been only one of the very few big RPG's that people felt didn't need to asterisk with a "contains anime" on it or "Is actually a bad game" like we have to do with the more recent Final Fantasy's (excluding XIV)

The Black Stones posted:

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's literally out there to recreate anime in exactly the same way Xenosaga and Xenosaga were. It isn't recreating high school anime but it's heavily leaning on the same kind of mecha-and-action show stuff that those games did. That is the reason why the sequel literally has goddamn giant robots.
You love being really obtuse don't you?

THE GAME DOES NOT LITERALLY LOOK LIKE AN ANIME.

IT ALSO HID IT FAIRLY WELL ENOUGH THAT YOU ONLY GOT INTO IT FAIRLY WELL OFF INTO THE CRAZY AS poo poo ANIME STUFF FARTHER INTO THE GAME.

Endorph posted:

xenoblade is a game with giant robots and a cute mascot that refers to itself in the third person

'hmmm... no anime here'

pictured: non-anime art

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

the only reason anyone ever liked xenogears ever was because it was evangelion the rpg complete with hot red head anime NAZI babe
Excuse me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Hide your animes

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

mycot posted:

I know nothing about Xenoblade outside of Smash Bros does it have a prepubescent girl in a stripper outfit?

U-DO Burger posted:

it does not, one of the game's many flaws

Someone who works at Monolith Soft was reading that thread and writing down notes.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm glad in the Final Fantasy thread we can safely assume everything is an anime.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you have to loving try and act like the game is hiding anime or something please stop playing jrpgs

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF15 is Stand By Me: The Anime.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Super Ninja Fish posted:

From the next page in that RPG thread:

Oh no. You revealed my horrible past where I don't think the game showed a high anime influence until you got into the game.

Congrats on quoting years old stuff that has nothing to do with topic at hand?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lol

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mega64 posted:

FF15 is Stand By Me: The Anime.

Should take a cue from another Stephen King book and have a evil clown be the villain.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Black Stones posted:

Oh no. You revealed my horrible past where I don't think the game showed a high anime influence until you got into the game.

Calm down

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

The Black Stones posted:

The topic at hand seems to be Xenoblade and Xenogears. And lmao.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Baal posted:

Calm down

I'm totally calm? I did a stupid type in all caps thing and it was dumb. It's funny I'm being quoted for it like a year later. Lol.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
He's mad 😡

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

In Training posted:

I also got bored of Xenoblade and sold it pretty quick. I didn't realize it had MMO combat before I bought it

Honestly I think MMO combat is actually a bit more interesting. At least, that's how I feel after playing FFXIV. At least in that game you need to work together with actual people and also dodge AoEs and control placement of targets and deal with convoluted boss mechanics and stuff. It felt like in Xenoblade I was mostly just doing the same arts rotations and nothing else.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Time to go super.

:goku:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Super Ninja Fish posted:

How did you feel about FF12, Nikkolas?

I liked it. The story was refreshingly different and it had a superb antagonist line-up. Main party was pretty weak though and License Board was bleh. But I enjoy big, open worlds like Bethesda's stuff. As long as the combat is good, anyway. If it's bad, then I hate it, like I hated Dragon Age Inquisition.

Kulkasha posted:

I don't understand how anyone could dislike a game where you kungfu fight in giant robots and kill God.

Ironically, Gear combat is far worse than on-foot combat IMO. It gets boring very quick. It's all well and good to have us fight Deus in Gears, because story says you need Xenogears to beat it, but there couldn't have been some on foot bosses leading up to that?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I liked it. The story was refreshingly different and it had a superb antagonist line-up. Main party was pretty weak though and License Board was bleh. But I enjoy big, open worlds like Bethesda's stuff. As long as the combat is good, anyway. If it's bad, then I hate it, like I hated Dragon Age Inquisition.

Then you'll probably really enjoy Xenoblade. But have you played Witcher 3 yet?

The Black Stones posted:

I'm totally calm? I did a stupid type in all caps thing and it was dumb. It's funny I'm being quoted for it like a year later. Lol.

I wasn't looking for it if that's what you were thinking. It just came up when I went to retrieve a post of mine. I didn't even pay attention to who the author was. The all caps made me laugh.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I like anime but not when it's like all in your face about being anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I love anime all over my face

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think with some people there's some kind of toy story situation where JRPGs are coming to life + holding certain people at gunpoint and saying 'this is anime'

Then they go complain about it on forums and no one believes them

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bloodychill posted:

I like anime but not when it's like all in your face about being anime

Maybe if you accepted anime into you then you would learn how beautiful it is

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Super Ninja Fish posted:

I made this post the last time I played the game in the RPG thread.

Well that post was from a while ago, but just recently I finished near-100% of Xenoblade and before that I actually did just the same for Nier, which is pretty convenient perspective for what you brought up in that post lol. So I'd like to address some stuff that the posts in the thread didn't really go into if it's no trouble.

But basically yes, there were people on SA (and probably general Nintendo/Wii audience as well) who overhyped a lot of stuff about the game, but while it's arguably not original I'd say it's still very solid for what it does execution wise.

quote:

The more I play Xenoblade, the more bored I am by it. I'm at the snow mountain about 35 hours in. It's a slog. 3,000 steps down the mountain. The characters move so drat slow that it would be tedious even without being interrupted by battles.

To be honest I didn't feel that way at all. For going through the areas on first time passes, it felt like a good moderate pace while I went around all the turns and weird paths, especially near the end parts of the games areas. It only ever felt slow when I was doing sidequest stuff and going walking through areas again, but that' was usually mitigated by 1. the very plentiful Quick travel Landmarks everywhere so it was always very rare you'd have large treks to go through, 2. even in said parts without landmarks, every area in almost some fashion has some internally built or placed shortcut to accommodate for any direction (it should be noted that while a lot of RPGs have done this, usually they end up with just messy town/forest/dungeon designs, where as Xenoblade's layouts are all actually remarkably simple so it never has the same feeling of congestion and never felt like a "mess" like in almost every other RPG I can think of that tried this), and 3. You can just straight up equip Movement + gems/abilities funnily enough lol. I would say that from using them that moving too fast through the environments definitely would be a danger for the "intended experience" so it makes sense to me why the movement speed is what it is, so its sad that it can also be a frustrating thing to some people.

quote:

While I like that the battle system is unique and makes you do more than just press attack, in each area you'll fight the same 2-3 monsters over and over and you do the same thing in each one to win. It's repetitive.

While the game does ramp up the combat expectations later on in the story, especially in the final series of quests, yeah the battle system is pretty bland. The biggest issue is that it basically feels like there is no actual interactivity between the enemies actions and what you're actions are aside from reacting to visions. Reacting to visions IS cool, but it only makes for cool segments, not entire battles. It has some moments and mechanics that do provide interactivity, but its usually on a system wide level and mostly not because enemies really challenge you to work around what they actually do in battles. That's why it usually felt "samey", because it was you vs the system rather than you vs this specific monster.

quote:

I finally got down to the destination at the bottom of the mountain, then I went on a fetch quest to get an item to open a door. Now I have to do 1500 more steps of walking through the snow, goddammit.

I know this is more of a comment about the above frustrations, but man idk, when I went through that area again I'm pretty sure it couldn't have been more than 1-2 minutes to walk from those areas. The only stretch that was really boring to me was the beginning parts of Gaur Plains and the start of the mountain if you just go through the straightaways (but that's still not including all the side stuff you can go around everywhere). Like, not every single part of every level is 100% awesome stuff, but even parts I didn't like as much never felt like a trudge to go through.

quote:

Story is sub par. Except for Rayn, characters are devoid of personality. Dialogue is bland "You are the chosen one to wield the Monado" type stuff.

Kind of agree'd, and I can see why you'd say this stuff, but I think it's solidly the norm or at best a cut above the norm. Story doesn't pull any surprises, but it goes through sensical beats with solid cutscene direction in a unique setting with a plot/story that makes sense in context of said setting. Characters do have personality, but fwiw I do feel like it's a lot of subtle building and reveals through doing the extra stuff like in sidequests or heart-to-hearts where you get the little details of how they work. If only going by the main story though, I'd still say the cast is alright, since they each get their own moments throughout the story to sort of flesh them out; the only character who really stands out is Riki cause he barely gets any moments at all by the end.

I thought the dialogue was okay. Definitely not great by any stretch, but I don't think I'd say it was bland either. It most always got to the point, was pretty believable and mostly didn't take me out of it's moments, and had a more than it's fair share of little cute things in there (but again, that's probably all in later sidequest stuff).

quote:

Unless I'm totally not understanding something, the shopping system for weapons and armor is a nightmare.

I think you have the systems right, but I think the big thing you're missing is that you mostly don't have to go shopping ever IMO. Most every monster drops weapons and armor along the way, and for the most part you don't even need to change your equipment layouts that much to get by and beat most everything in the main story. And by the time you get to the late portions with sidequests and stuff, usually it was the Gems that took the most importance in affecting battles (because they'd have way more useful attributes to them) than comparing whether or not X sword was 200 points stronger then Y sword, or etc.

There's other things in that paragraph that are also kind of questionable as well, but overall to sum up, I don't think it's really all that complicated as you're making it out to be given with what you actually need vs how the system looks like it is.

quote:

I can't understand how this game got better reviews than Nier. Even the side quests are much more enjoyable in Nier. At least there they're accompanied by witty banter.

Now, note that I haven't looked up reviews at all for either Xenoblade nor Nier, so I don't really know what was said about either from normal review outlets other than general word of mouth.

But, I think it's just because Nier has more "obvious" problems than Xenoblade? I don't really want to turn this into a rant against Nier, but I do think that Nier had a bunch of it's own issues that would be more likely to turn off general audiences. In contrast, most of my problems with Xenoblade, aside from the battle system, are with things that didn't really become apparent till the very late set of sidequests. While I do think Nier is underappreciated for what it tried, I don't think it's a mistake that Xenoblade outshined Nier given that it felt like a "cleaner" experience.

As for the sidequests, that seems like a joke comment, but honestly I feel like Nier's sidequests were a lot more uninteresting than Xenoblades given all things considered now that I'm done with them. Nier had a lot of cool little stories that helped set the tone of the world, but it also involved a lot of annoying traveling and grinding***, and a lot of cases felt like they had no "identity" if I were to compare it to Xenoblade's. Aside from like 3-5 cases, most of the sidequests in Nier felt like they involved just random people who often didn't actually have any name or occupation or character or relations or anything at all. With Xenoblade's, while it did have those kinds as well, it also had plenty of ones that actually were about people who felt defined as people. They were still arguably just Random NPCs, but you feel closer to them when you see they troubles you help them out with, then see how they connect to other NPCs from around the town who in turn have their own related quest as well, most usually involving the person you met originally.

It felt like most of the sidequests in Xenoblade all helped to define and introduce you to the overall world piece by piece, which is why it felt satisfying the more I went through it. With Nier's, they had cool individual stories that I liked, but they always felt just that, individual. By the end of Nier's quests I just felt annoyed like I normally am with any RPG sidequest affair, but Xenoblade had the same sort feeling you get from like say Majora's Mask when you look over the Bomber's Notebook and see how everything is connected.

*** The thing to note is that, while Xenoblade also has grinding and traveling, it's all done way more conveniently and actually felt supported by the game's systems. It sounds like a little thing that Xenoblade has those systems for rewarding easy sidequests on the spot or the fast traveling, but as an experience on the whole it does make a difference. I could still go back to the Xenoblade environments now, but I don't ever want to go through the same dumb plain in Nier again.

Augus posted:

Honestly I think MMO combat is actually a bit more interesting. At least, that's how I feel after playing FFXIV. At least in that game you need to work together with actual people and also dodge AoEs and control placement of targets and deal with convoluted boss mechanics and stuff. It felt like in Xenoblade I was mostly just doing the same arts rotations and nothing else.

Yeah, I kind of feel the same way. MMO combat gets a bad rep (usually for good reason), but it doesn't have to be bad. Xenoblade's isn't all that bad either I think, or at least makes for a decent video game romp, certainly better than FF12 IMO, but still something I'd rather not see again.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

is this real
https://twitter.com/tyabann_da/status/727955162279612416

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yeah, they only show up in the hockey rink of Galbadia Garden during the Garden battle.

edit:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Slapper