Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

ZoDiAC_ posted:

WASTE PAGE UPDATED!

https://store.wasteheadquarters.com/products/burn-the-witch

No bsides...

WAV :)

Purchased, this feels good!

Mix is really clear in the WAV.

The band definitely gets the most profit if you buy it from WASTE. Also, get the WAV for sure. itunes isn't even 320kbs.

edit: I bet the whole album is gonna be available in WAV from WASTE and I'm definitely buying it that way. [b]This sounds amazing.[/url]

AARO fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The minimal techo is in there. The song is essentially a whole bunch of violins playing on a sparse electro beat.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I really like the new song, grabs me far more than anything off TKOL. Looking forward to see what kind of funky vinyl release they put out

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Lid posted:

Pyramid Song would like a word

No, but you see, it was just a b-side, so

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Polo-Rican posted:

I like the verse but the chorus falls really flat for me - I think it needs a change of instrumentation there. Thom sings a long sustained high note and the reverb gets cranked up but the strings continue basically unchanged. This is one of those tracks that will probably sound better live because the band will be reacting to one another, as opposed to Thom singing over a prerecorded Johnny Greenwood recording.

This is interesting, because I'm the opposite - the verses are the weakest part. It's just two chords and a very simple melody, whereas the chorus is where things lift up. I really like the "we know where you live" melody. I also really like the electronic percussion over the strings, especially the hi-hats.

I like the song, but there's something missing. The second verse has some rather weak lines, I think - "red crosses on wooden doors / if you float you burn / loose talk around tables / abandon all reason". They feel disconnected and groundless, melodically, rhythmically... they feel like placeholders. By comparison, the next lines, "Avoid all eye contact / do not react", are much more satisfying simply because they rhyme, for a start.

I also feel, like Spectre, that it ends too suddenly. It's just verse-chorus-verse-chorus. It might seem like a bizarre thing to say, especially coming from someone who is happy to leave guitar rock Radiohead in the 90s, but the thing I keep thinking is "where's the guitar solo?" I picture a weird, cut-up distorted guitar line entering at the end, something savage and cutting, but it never comes.

Still. Cute song. Excited to hear the album.

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 4, 2016

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Spectre had a very tight timeframe it had to fit into. Maybe if it's on the album (or a later bonus disc) they'll expand it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Spectre had a very tight timeframe it had to fit into. Maybe if it's on the album (or a later bonus disc) they'll expand it.

Wouldn't be the first time their soundtrack music made it onto an album.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Spectre had a very tight timeframe it had to fit into.

That's just an assumption, though. We don't know if they had even finished writing or recording the song before it was decided not to use it for the film. Radiohead themselves might have been the ones to walk away from the deal. You never know.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

The cover art for the single is real good.

From this and the tour poster, I'm guessing the visual aesthetic is going to be black and white, but with lots of textures. Fits the single nicely!

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Mutant Standard posted:

The cover art for the single is real good.

From this and the tour poster, I'm guessing the visual aesthetic is going to be black and white, but with lots of textures. Fits the single nicely!

Yeah Stanley has done well thus far. I'm still not sure about their new logo / the Rorshach ink blot thing

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Popcorn posted:

I like the song, but there's something missing. The second verse has some rather weak lines, I think - "red crosses on wooden doors / if you float you burn / loose talk around tables / abandon all reason". They feel disconnected and groundless, melodically, rhythmically... they feel like placeholders.

that section might be my favorite actually, that's when the strings get all pretty for a minute.

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
I loving love the sudden buildup at the end without catharsis, where it seems like it's going to explode but simply ends without resolution. Really fits the fever pitch paranoia suggested by the lyrics and tone.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Princeps32 posted:

that section might be my favorite actually, that's when the strings get all pretty for a minute.

No objection to the strings there, they're gorgeous. It's the vocals/lyrics that don't work for me.

Ma_NiC
Mar 6, 2004
I wasn't super drawn in by the song the first time I heard it, but after 10 or so listens it's really grown on me.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

The strings remind me of the Great British Bake Off

And I wouldn't be surprised if that was completely what they were going for

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ma_NiC posted:

I wasn't super drawn in by the song the first time I heard it, but after 10 or so listens it's really grown on me.

so, a Radiohead song then

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I can't believe no one has mentioned that Radiohead's pre-In Rainbows catalogue has been bought by XL Recordings.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I don't quite get the implication. New reissues of the early albums on a different record label? :shrug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Ballz posted:

I don't quite get the implication. New reissues of the early albums on a different record label? :shrug:

Well, if you go on streaming services, you'll note that they've all taken down the 2009 Collector's Edition versions of the first six albums. The B-Sides are apparently going to be issued in a new way eventually.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Well, if you go on streaming services, you'll note that they've all taken down the 2009 Collector's Edition versions of the first six albums. The B-Sides are apparently going to be issued in a new way eventually.

Man, how bummed would people get if Burn the Witch was just a new track being added to a B-sides compilation.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

That news is old and dull

... The new album is DARK!

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7356875/radiohead-animator-burn-the-witch-video

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/may/05/radioheads-burn-the-witch-may-be-critique-of-refugee-crisis-says-animator

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 5, 2016

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like that the video was such a mystery they needed the animator to explain it, as if someone sat there wondering what this could all possibly mean

e; "it's a children's TV show pretending to do the Wicker Man ... its meaning eludes me. I demand an explanation"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"I don't get it, are they FOR the Salem witch trials?"

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

The song is starting to remind me of Airbag. Notice the funky drumbeat that does the mix-up/start stop thing in the middle, the bass cameo after "abandon all reason".

In sort of a surprising move, Radiohead have been confirmed for ACL. http://music.blog.austin360.com/2016/05/05/radiohead-mumford-sons-lcd-soundsystem-kendrick-lamar-to-headline-acl-fest/

Illavick
Sep 15, 2012

WHENA MINA RENA VATIVE
I really, really like this single. It feels more colorful and alive and not as convoluted as the vibe I've been getting their recent stuff. TKOL is a decent album in my opinion but it definitely aims more to be experimental than an album of good songs. They went a little too far in that direction for my taste. Witch feels more like something I might find on OK Computer despite the digital rhythm. I'm pretty drat happy with that as their more aggressive and fast tracks from that album are perennial favorites of mine.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Illavick posted:

I really, really like this single. It feels more colorful and alive and not as convoluted as the vibe I've been getting their recent stuff. TKOL is a decent album in my opinion but it definitely aims more to be experimental than an album of good songs. They went a little too far in that direction for my taste. Witch feels more like something I might find on OK Computer despite the digital rhythm. I'm pretty drat happy with that as their more aggressive and fast tracks from that album are perennial favorites of mine.

I never considered TKOL too experimental, just more on the ambient/intimate side of things. I mean, Radiohead have been chronicling paranoia and alienation for over 20 years, and it's kind of cool that they have at least one album that's a bit more inviting.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

Astrochicken posted:

The song is starting to remind me of Airbag. Notice the funky drumbeat that does the mix-up/start stop thing in the middle, the bass cameo after "abandon all reason".

Yeah, the bass reminded me of Airbag straight away too.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I like this 10 times better than anything they've put out since In Rainbows.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TOOT BOOT posted:

I like this 10 times better than anything they've put out since In Rainbows.

At least 15 minutes of In Rainbows are interminable. The rest is fantastic.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

At least 15 minutes of In Rainbows are interminable. The rest is fantastic.

You use to be alright. What happened?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Mutant Standard posted:

You use to be alright. What happened?

I'm defective, I think. Songs 3-6 on that album turn me right the gently caress off. There are a lot of sweeping strings and diddling soundtrack noises throughout, but overall the rest is great.

I liked In Rainbows quite a bit more on release, maybe because I thought the timing of the emancipation story for the band was cool and pay-what-you-like felt novel. It's near the bottom of the list for me now as far as their albums go. It doesn't really gel on the whole, but it also doesn't take risks.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Astrochicken posted:

In sort of a surprising move, Radiohead have been confirmed for ACL. http://music.blog.austin360.com/2016/05/05/radiohead-mumford-sons-lcd-soundsystem-kendrick-lamar-to-headline-acl-fest/

This is so awesome. I bought tickets and I'm excited as gently caress to see them live for the first time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
In Rainbows has fantastic songs but it doesn't really have an overarching feeling/vibe like Kid A through to HTTT. I like those three albums better.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

In Rainbows has fantastic songs but it doesn't really have an overarching feeling/vibe like Kid A through to HTTT. I like those three albums better.

I guess this is where I'm coming from. It's probably the album of theirs that, in spirit, would be harmed least by being turned into a random playlist.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'd say it's their most cohesive & beautiful work, it has a nice warm atmosphere to all the songs. Feels very un-Radiohead to me - there's very little coldness or paranoia which permeates all their previous releases. Only this and The King of Limbs have that openness & tranquility running through out. Kid A obviously had a very distinctive theme - alienation and fear, as did Ok Computer to an extent, but neither of them touch me as deeply as In Rainbows. I sink into it every time and, with the exception of Bodysnatchers (due to it's clunky intro), every song grips me and transmits the same rhythm & feeling of outright joy and, gently caress it, funk. I love it.

The King of Limbs has it's sensual moments too, and I consider this a cohesive, concise work. The song writing isn't as strong as on In Rainbows, though it's still one of my favorite records of theirs.

Burn the Witch is pretty perfect, it brings together so many elements of post Ok Computer Radiohead that I adore - the soaring strings, the warm, strong, expansive yet atypically sung chorus, the underlying tone of menace throughout the verses. It's like a mix of Twisted Words, Harry Patch, Bloom, How to Disappear and Codex. I hope the album follows suit. I wouldn't mind if we never hear another guitar led Radiohead song, quite frankly. I'm ok with music more in line with The King of Limbs and In Rainbows. Never was much of a fan of Creep.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Is it better than You though??

Yes. Best single in a looooong time.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Absolutely

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
:siren:Sorry to interrupt, but Thom can't remember where he parked his car :siren:

https://twitter.com/radiohead/status/728543332784320513

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
Taken from the P.T. Anderson collab maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

This is great! A music theory breakdown of Burn the Witch

http://www.classicfm.com/discover/music-theory/radiohead-burn-the-witch/

quote:

As the song works through its second half, the strings appear to gradually disintegrate. The cellos and basses cling tightly onto that chorus chord progression, but above them is comparative chaos. As the Wicker Man-style pyre is lit at the end of the video, the violins become deathly, Herrmann-esque and quite horrid, a neat counterpoint to the comparative conventionality of the song’s structure and melodies.

So while Radiohead are often held up as denizens of doing it differently (for better or worse, eh Spotify? ), ‘Burn The Witch’ is them working smart rather than working hard. They’ve set up simple confines, but within them they’ve experimented heavily and made something exceptionally strange, tonally speaking, and inventive to boot.

Approved.

Phew, I'd hate for Classic FM to diss my favourite band!