Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Sure was, what a loving joke.

Apparently the place near me wasn't going to let people use sticks until everyone told them that was stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

fadam posted:

Apparently the place near me wasn't going to let people use sticks until everyone told them that was stupid.

Sounds about par for the course, whole thing is incredibly mismanaged by people who have zero clue how fighting game tournaments work.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

In Training posted:

I've been using my hori RAP4 for probably a year and a half at this point and I think I'm gonna swap out the stick for something that's a little less loose. Idk if it's from use or being too hard on the stick but now when I let go of it to snap back to neutral it will usually hit the opposite input, which is no good! I cracked open the case and tightened the spring screw and that seems to have helped but I'm still gonna swap it. Any recommendations on good parts?

it fits sanwa and seimetsu sticks and those are your best bet, they both have different feels to them though. i don't know which one is closer to the hayabusa stick that the rap4 uses but i think that its trying to be basically the standard sanwa jlf https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/

the seimetsu ls-32 is pretty good for anime games if you play those

fadam posted:

this sounds like the old anime con tournaments where only stock controllers/no button binds were allowed and they did wierd stuff like single elimination. fg players used to go to cons just to win anime tournies for free but then too many people started doing that...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

it fits sanwa and seimetsu sticks and those are your best bet, they both have different feels to them though. i don't know which one is closer to the hayabusa stick that the rap4 uses but i think that its trying to be basically the standard sanwa jlf https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/

the seimetsu ls-32 is pretty good for anime games if you play those

this sounds like the old anime con tournaments where only stock controllers/no button binds were allowed and they did wierd stuff like single elimination. fg players used to go to cons just to win anime tournies for free but then too many people started doing that...

Thanks! I do primarily play anime games, any reason why you recommend the seimetsu for that? Seems like the major difference is that the seimetsu is stiffer, which I might prefer.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

In Training posted:

Thanks! I do primarily play anime games, any reason why you recommend the seimetsu for that? Seems like the major difference is that the seimetsu is stiffer, which I might prefer.

you dont have the move the stick as far to get it to hit the switches basically. people call this the throw of the stick, so if you see people online saying that its what they're talking about. so stuff like air dashes and direction double taps can be much easier. it's also stiffer yeah. and you can always get aftermarket hard springs that are easy to install if you want even more. there are other seimetsus but i think people only use like the ls-56 for playing shmups or something. the ls-32 is great for anime games and iirc was the standard for guilty gear cabs.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
While we're on the topic of modding the RAP4, what's the deal with joystick mounting plates? I can order the LS-32 with both a flat plate or an SS mounting plate but I haven't found any easy answers in a quick google about what you'd want for modding a RAP4. Or do you just use the mounting plate already in the RAP and take it off the stick? I have no idea how any of this stuff works I just feel like doing some modding as a project. All I've found is that the older Hori RAP's you should get the SS plate but haven't found anything explicitly talking about the RAP4.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 2, 2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Zand posted:

This reminds me of my first tournament back in 2006, at an anime convention where they wouldn't let me use a pad with six face buttons (but they did let a guy rebind all his poo poo so he had one button throws???). It was also one game, single elim, but the game was 3 out of 5, "tournament rules" as the organizer said.

I lost because I missed a HP x EX dash punch because shoulder buttons are a pain in the dick

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

attackmole posted:

While we're on the topic of modding the RAP4, what's the deal with joystick mounting plates? I can order the LS-32 with both a flat plate or an SS mounting plate but I haven't found any easy answers in a quick google about what you'd want for modding a RAP4. Or do you just use the mounting plate already in the RAP and take it off the stick? I have no idea how any of this stuff works I just feel like doing some modding as a project. All I've found is that the older Hori RAP's you should get the SS plate but haven't found anything explicitly talking about the RAP4.

Curious about this as well, but I think I'm just gonna crack open the stick and see what the mounting looks like.

E: The mounting plate is fit so a flat mount or an S-mount will slot in. So you shouldn't need a converter. If you want to adjust the length of the joystick you can use washers on the screws. I just ordered a LS-32!

In Training fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 3, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
What is even the difference between

https://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ls-32-01-joystick/

and

https://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ls-32-187-fastener-joystick-with-re-plate/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Like 4mm of stick height is all I can tell, lol.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

In Training posted:

Curious about this as well, but I think I'm just gonna crack open the stick and see what the mounting looks like.

E: The mounting plate is fit so a flat mount or an S-mount will slot in. So you shouldn't need a converter. If you want to adjust the length of the joystick you can use washers on the screws. I just ordered a LS-32!

Oh, cool, thanks!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Zand posted:

I was just at my buddies house playing some Xrd. He was explaining to me that he met his boyfriend by talking about BlazBlue, going to his house and immediately bodying the gently caress out of him before quickly learning that the dude was into it for the anime and plot. And now they're a couple, so uh, love conquers all I guess.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

attackmole posted:

I was just at my buddies house playing some Xrd. He was explaining to me that he met his boyfriend by talking about BlazBlue, going to his house and immediately bodying the gently caress out of him before quickly learning that the dude was into it for the anime and plot. And now they're a couple, so uh, love conquers all I guess.

That's a legit :3: story

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah nerd poo poo romance, woo.

What are typical tournament prices? I know that's hard to characterize, but I was eyeing this Toryuken thing in Toronto as a baby's first tourney and it seems expensive to me. 65 bucks for the venue + 10 (canada money) for the tournaments is a bit steep for me to go 0-2 to. I guess maybe I'm just being a miser because I'm thinking of it as "show up, enter, play, w/e" instead of hanging around and watching the high level stuff as a social activity for two days, but ehhhhh I'm not sold.

I guess it's a part of the Capcom pro tour and the EG guys will be there so it's a higher end, but still, eh.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

attackmole posted:

What are typical tournament prices? I know that's hard to characterize, but I was eyeing this Toryuken thing in Toronto as a baby's first tourney and it seems expensive to me. 65 bucks for the venue + 10 (canada money) for the tournaments is a bit steep for me to go 0-2 to. I guess maybe I'm just being a miser because I'm thinking of it as "show up, enter, play, w/e" instead of hanging around and watching the high level stuff as a social activity for two days, but ehhhhh I'm not sold.

I guess it's a part of the Capcom pro tour and the EG guys will be there so it's a higher end, but still, eh.

a major tournament is gonna run you 50 bucks + 5-15 per game, minimum. Unless you're actually good enough to stand a chance at winning you aren't actually going for the tournament though, you're going for hour after hour of offline casuals.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Also in my experience there's an anime suite at like every tournament where you can get drunk and play anime and snk games after hours

edit:i guess there's salty suites too but I don't play street fighter or marvel so i couldn't tell you how drunk they are

Fruitsnacks
Oct 28, 2007

attackmole posted:

If a retail stick has a mounting bracket that allows either a JLF or LS-32 to be installed then you need the SS plate for the LS-32. This is because the LS-32 has a shorter shaft than the JLF so the body of the LS-32 needs to be closer to the underside of the control panel for the ball top to be at the correct height. If you use the flat mounting plate your LS-32 is further away from the panel and it's going to be about half a centimeter too short.

Now the real issue is whether or not the LS-32 can be installed in your HRAP4. I don't know much about the newer HRAPs but some of the older ones couldn't fit an LS-32 even though they came stock with JLFs. Double check before you buy the LS-32.

attackmole posted:

Check if your local scene holds tournaments if you want something cheaper. I don't know what they'll charge but it's definitely not going to be $75 to enter one game since they're not renting a hotel ballroom. In the arcade days our local monthly used to be like $10 to enter a game with no venue fee.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
If you're going to a local or monthly, venue fees are like $10. If you're going to a major, venue fees are like $50. Evo is fucky and weird about pricing since they're the biggest and got a separate stadium for Finals and stuff.

No matter what kind of tournament it is, you'll also have a pot fee (which is almost always $10) for each game in which you compete, all of which goes directly into that game's winnings. Sometimes, but very rarely, there will be side games that have lower pot fees ($5ish) to encourage more impulse players (this is part of the origin of referring to a specific game like, say, Melty Blood as "poverty"). Some tournaments have experimented with $20 pot fees for main games but nobody has been ballsy enough to do it for a major despite how awesome it would be.

The best alternate payment system for a tournament I've seen are auction tournaments, where you're character-locked for the tournament, the only available playable characters go up for auction, and whatever you pay for your character goes to the pot. UFGT/Combo Breaker has a shitload of auction tournaments and they're all hype as gently caress.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Cool cool. Yeah I have no idea how these things work.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Listen you're gonna be in the presence of such greatness as Justin Wong and Diala Umejambalaya, you should only be so happy that 65 is all you have to spend to even be in the presence of such greatness.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'd be down to do it sometime, but I need to find a friend or two willing to go with me tbh. Gotta meet more friends in the scene, I'm only a cheapskate if I'm flying solo.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

attackmole posted:

I'd be down to do it sometime, but I need to find a friend or two willing to go with me tbh. Gotta meet more friends in the scene, I'm only a cheapskate if I'm flying solo.

Good luck just finding a friend you know who's going to be as into fighting games. Niche as they are, some times I think the only way to find a friend that'll go to tournaments with you is a friend you meet and make at one.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I would never gently caress a guy who's into blazblues plot

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

attackmole posted:

Where are you? We might be able to offer recommendations, or at least a local venue where offline casuals meet up.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

dangerdoom volvo posted:

I would never gently caress a guy who's into blazblues plot

Same here

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
yea gently caress a guy who's into guilty gear's plot instead

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Broken Loose posted:

Where are you? We might be able to offer recommendations, or at least a local venue where offline casuals meet up.

I already go to some locals, I'd just like to do a tournament one day for the hell of it.

I'm actually pretty lucky that the local GG scene is pretty solid and meets up at the school 5 minutes from my house. STEM schools got anime on lockdown I guess.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

General Morden posted:

yea gently caress a guy who's into guilty gear's plot instead

He can even dress as Bridget :quagmire:

Is Dizzy on Revelator yet?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
what's the smallest possible button i can buy that still has quick disconnect connectors on it

edit: i feel sorry for the sacramento TO, dude loving loves anime but look at all anyone will play

Pomp fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 4, 2016

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

Pomp posted:

what's the smallest possible button i can buy that still has quick disconnect connectors on it

Sanwa has an 18mm pushbutton that's usually reserved for a test button on cabinets or whatever. The model is SDM-18.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX2UwF1KdjU Here's a thing that's being made.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It seems like they're doing that on the MUGEN engine or a variation of it, which is a terrible idea because MUGEN is very janky. There's something endearing about that style though, it reminds me of 90s grimy comics and poverty FGs, like a lost Neo Geo game Zand would say it's great and you should play it on Fightcade instead of SFV.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
The old guy's sprite is literally fei long's torso pasted on Yamazaki's legs and the hitsparks that aren't from kof are from Metal Slug. The mugen association runs deeper than just the engine.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i like the art and the attitude of this even if it's probably utter garbage that never actually sees the light of day

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

I am strangely hype for Psycho Nasty Grandpa Fighter

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Dias posted:

It seems like they're doing that on the MUGEN engine or a variation of it, which is a terrible idea because MUGEN is very janky.

I was going to point out that they also don't allow commercial redistribution of MUGEN, but then I saw this: https://twitter.com/elecbyte/status/727915371588558848

I take that to mean they struck a deal, so you're probably right.

EDIT: Never mind, sorry about the last part

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 5, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it's a freeware 2D fighting game engine that was originally released in 1999

you tell me

The DK Rap
May 12, 2010
You know him well.
It's closed source, can't be played online and a fair amount of the basic behavior is hard-coded, even if you can change most of the specifics yourself.

also the latest stable release doesn't have hardware accelerated graphics.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

The West has really been nailing it with these indie 2D fighting games.

Though I'll take a wait and see approach with this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
What a load of garbage. I'm ecstatic!