Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

SaltLick posted:

I've decided I want to do an Appalachian Trail thru hike next year because gently caress it why not? My 60 year old mom is totally on board and if I take her with me she will bankroll it. Well okay then...

She use to be super outdoorsy when she was growing up and really wants to do this before she is too old and her knees give out. Really hope this goes through and I act as a good motivation for her to just do it.

Awesome, good luck. If you've got a year to prepare I'd spend this summer and fall getting and testing the gear you'll use so there won't be any surprises on the trail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm new to hiking and camping and plan on doing a lot this summer in the Rockies, could I get some recommendations on some good multipurpose gear? Tent, sleeping bag, pad, backpack and any other essentials.

Probably do lots of weekend trips but would like to do a couple longer ones and plan on bike packing the Colorado Trail at some point

Lifehacker just posted this article. Take a look through that for some good pointers. If you can post your budget you might get some more targeted recommendations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Sweet I'll be checking out out, thanks. As to a budget I don't really have one, don't want to break the bank but I like quality stuff and would prefer to have to buy what I need only once and not immediately replace it... If that makes sense.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

SaltLick posted:

I've decided I want to do an Appalachian Trail thru hike next year because gently caress it why not? My 60 year old mom is totally on board and if I take her with me she will bankroll it. Well okay then...

She use to be super outdoorsy when she was growing up and really wants to do this before she is too old and her knees give out. Really hope this goes through and I act as a good motivation for her to just do it.

Congrats man--best of luck to the both of you! That would be a phenomenal experience. I'm kind of bummed I missed an opportunity to do it right after college because I was still working, and now that I have a mortgage I don't see getting six months off work till I retire. Do it now while you have the chance.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Lets say that I might camp out around here Friday and maybe Saturday night. My only sleeping bag options are a super shady paper thin $20 amazon special or a 4-5lb 20f synthetic bag. I also have a small fleece blanket. I don't want to buy a bag as I am still obsessing over top quilts. I will be sleeping in a hammock.

I assume I really want to bring the big bag and not gently caress around with being miserable for a night or two? Is there a sub $100 option I could grab at rei or whatever?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

REI rents equipment I think, why not just see if you can rent a warm bag on the cheap?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Levitate posted:

REI rents equipment I think, why not just see if you can rent a warm bag on the cheap?

https://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html#colorado
The Denver flagship looks to offer Tent and Bag rentals.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

deong posted:

https://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html#colorado
The Denver flagship looks to offer Tent and Bag rentals.

He's in the Virginia area and unfortunately yeah doesn't seem like they rent stuff there I guess

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Renting a seeping bag seems like renting pants, nothing really wrong with it but it makes me feel weird.

The point of this trip is to pick up a fishing rod I ordered but rod dude is being slow as poo poo in letting me know where he wants to meet, so I might just pack the car and head north for the weekend and wait to hear from him.

I mean, we all know I will end up in a motel room eating amish baked goods all weekend, but it's nice to dream of something better.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Mr. Crow posted:

I'm new to hiking and camping and plan on doing a lot this summer in the Rockies, could I get some recommendations on some good multipurpose gear? Tent, sleeping bag, pad, backpack and any other essentials.

Probably do lots of weekend trips but would like to do a couple longer ones and plan on bike packing the Colorado Trail at some point

Tent, sleeping bag/pad, backpack, footwear, cook wear and water filter will be your big purchases aside from clothing.

There are different types of gear, stuff meant for car camping where you pull into a campsite and grab everything from your car and then theres hike in/ backpacking where you're hauling all your stuff with you. Car camping stuff is often cheap, heavy, bulky, and aimed at comfort for short term weekend trips. Backpacking stuff is generally lighter, smaller and more expensive. Backpacking gear can be used for any type of camping. Car camping stuff is only good for car camping.

If you plan on doing any backpacking, look for gear that's aimed at backpacking. There are some great things out there that are budget friendly. 2 person backpacking tents start around $100 new at rei. Look at the passage and dome series. For a 2-3 person 3 season tent, look for something 4-5 lbs max with rain fly and foot print. It helps to go into the store to see them set up to get a sense of size. I have an rei passage 2 and it's holding up solid after multiple trips with wind, rain, and snow.

Considering you're in the mountains, you'll want a good sleeping bag as temps vary greatly all year round. Expect to spend around $150-200 on a decent bag. In a lovely situation your bag is quite possibly a life saver. Sleeping bags should be 2-3 lbs and rated for 15-20°f. Down packs smaller, weighs less, costs more but sucks when wet. Kelty cosmic down is a nice budget down bag. Synthetic is cheaper, heavier and doesn't pack as small but they're getting better and perform better when wet. Marmot trestles is a good entry level synthetic bag. I have a big agnes 20° synthetic bag and an rei 15° down bag.

Sleeping pads vary in comfort. Air pads don't weigh much but require inflation and could puncture while offering the most padding, great for side sleepers. Self inflating are filled with foam and air, they are comfortable but depends on thickness and amount of air. Then there's just pain closed cell foam. Cheap, durable but not very comfortable. Prices are anywhere from $40-100 for a decent pad. I like the big agnes insulated q core personally but I'm a side sleeper.

Footwear is a hard topic. Avoid the draw of waterproof shoes. Either they are 100% waterproof and don't breathe while holding water and sweat like a bucket, or they get soaked after a while and take forever to dry. People like boots but they're heavy and every few ounces on your feet is equal to several pounds on your back. Look for breathability. I still like my merrell moab ventilators ($110) but I've moved towards trail runners (merrell all out peak $130). They're lighter, breathe well, have great grippy soles and feel real nice. You can honestly start out in running/athletic shoes until you get into more rugged terrain. Spend $100+ on shoes or use what you have for now.

Water filters keep you from explosive diarrhea when you're out in the backcountry. You can chemically treat but it takes longer, can leave an after taste and debris. The easiest and most common are gravity and pump filters. Sawyer, platypus and msr are the most popular. They range in price $50-100 and work quickly. Life straw and Sawyer squeeze filters are okay for day trips but suck for large amounts of water or frequent use. I prefer the platypus gravity works system.

Backpacks are cool because you can often find them used in great condition. 65 liters is a good size for weekend to week long excursions. Fitting is important so while most packs are adjustable, they often do come in sizes (small, medium, large) typically a fully weighed pack with food and water for a week will weigh around 30-40 lbs. Stores like rei etc will fit you to a bag and have sand bags for weight to see how it feels. The biggest difference between gear for a weekend trip and a 2 week trip is the amount of food you bring. I have several backpacks at this point. I like mountainsmith for their straps and hip belts, just insanely comfortable. I have a smaller Gregory 50l for lightly packed weekends. If I had to replace one of my big packs it would be with an osprey for their legendary customer service. Rei's packs are really nice for the price as well.

Stoves are easy. Msr pocket rocket. It's simple, tiny, cheap and reliable. $4 for a fuel can and $40 for the stove. You can find no name knockoffs on amazon for $5. But some cheap backpacking cookware on amazon and your set.

Become an rei member and go to the garage sales. Also check out if you have any groups near you. We have a big one out here called the mountaineers which do seasonal swap meets and gear sales open to the public. Craigs list can be filled with deals. You might also have some second hand stores that specialize in outdoor gear. Our play out again sports have some and this awesome place called second ascent.

Good luck. Gear can be overwhelming but getting out is the fun part. Learn what you can skimp on and know what's worth the investment. Good gear pays for itself after years of use.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Don't listen to anyone who tells you to avoid waterproof shoes without knowing where in the country they live.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bongwizzard posted:

Lets say that I might camp out around here Friday and maybe Saturday night. My only sleeping bag options are a super shady paper thin $20 amazon special or a 4-5lb 20f synthetic bag. I also have a small fleece blanket. I don't want to buy a bag as I am still obsessing over top quilts. I will be sleeping in a hammock.

I assume I really want to bring the big bag and not gently caress around with being miserable for a night or two? Is there a sub $100 option I could grab at rei or whatever?

Do you have any kind of bottom insulation lined up? At those temps you'll likely want at least a blue ccf pad or something. I'm personally a cold sleeper, so if it were me I'd take the twenty bag and just hang my feet out, but you'll probably be pretty happy with the Amazon bag and fleece blanket. You might even buy a fleece sleeping bag for 10-20$ at the big box store or something, that'd give you an extra 10-20° on the light and cheap.

I'd hold off buying a bag if you're planning on getting a quilt, honestly.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Any recommendations for a durable yet lightweight hiking shoe for wide feet? Looking for options other than Merrell Moab Ventilators, which is what I've been relying on for the last 3-4 years.

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004

Professor Moriarty posted:

Any recommendations for a durable yet lightweight hiking shoe for wide feet? Looking for options other than Merrell Moab Ventilators, which is what I've been relying on for the last 3-4 years.

saucony peregrines and never look back

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
But to be fair I also own Brooks Cascadia and they are actually more durable in my opinion than the peregrines but the peregrines breathe so well I never have issues with blisters whereas the cascadias feel like I'm taking off a sauna at the end of the day.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I don't find the peregrines to be wide. I have a regular foot and they fit like you'd want, and the toe box is smaller than others I've used. That said they are comfy for me

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Professor Moriarty posted:

Wide feet = New Balance, specifically the Leadville trail runner. They come in D, 2E and 4E.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Tigren posted:

Wide feet = New Balance, specifically the Leadville trail runner. They come in D, 2E and 4E.

Seconding this--I really like my New Balance shoes that I wear everyday, they're one of the few that accommodate sasquatch feet.

On the boot end, Lowa Banffs fit like a glove, and have been unbelievably great boots if you're looking for ankle support.

Otherwise, only other ones I've tried are the moab ventilators too, they're great for hiking but they don't ventilate very well with all the foam support and padding.

Does anyone have any favorite summer sock suggestions? The wool I usually wear get pretty hot, and the nylon stuff I sub in wear out too quick

SplitDestiny
Sep 25, 2004
I pretty much use defeet socks exclusively for hiking, trail running and climbing.

Woolie boolies for most things and something like the Argyle socks if it's really hot out.

http://www.amazon.com/DeFeet-Wooleator-Argyle-Speede-Charcoal/dp/B00TTLN1TI

gross
Jan 7, 2006

Well, here's your problem!
If anyone here is familiar with the area, I'm looking for some advice on visiting the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire, and camping there for a few days to do some hiking and trail running.

It's a bit of a drive for me, so what's the best way to make sure that when I get there, I can actually find a spot to leave my car and set up a tent for the night? I've gathered that I will need to buy a pass for regular parking areas, but I'm still trying to get a general idea of how difficult it will be to find a random camping spot off the trail if I arrive mid-afternoon or early evening. Are there any specific areas I should consider first (or avoid), and worst case, what's the legality of sleeping in the car there if the drive doesn't go as planned?

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

gross posted:

If anyone here is familiar with the area, I'm looking for some advice on visiting the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire, and camping there for a few days to do some hiking and trail running.

It's a bit of a drive for me, so what's the best way to make sure that when I get there, I can actually find a spot to leave my car and set up a tent for the night? I've gathered that I will need to buy a pass for regular parking areas, but I'm still trying to get a general idea of how difficult it will be to find a random camping spot off the trail if I arrive mid-afternoon or early evening. Are there any specific areas I should consider first (or avoid), and worst case, what's the legality of sleeping in the car there if the drive doesn't go as planned?

It really depends, do you have any general plans? How long is the trip going to be? Are there any specific mountains you'd like to hit? What time of year are you planning on going? The WMNF is a pretty big park and the terrain/popularity varies from area to area. The most popular places are easily Franconia Notch, Crawford Notch and the Presidential range at any time of year though. It's illegal to camp in Franconia and Crawford Notch state parks (except at designated sites) and very difficult to camp high in the Presidentials outside of designated sites due to steepness or alpine zone restrictions. It's difficult even with a hammock because of tree density.

It's illegal to camp within 1/4 mile of any trailhead, by legal definition sleeping in your car is considered camping. People do it all the time but if a park ranger or cop catches you, you will definitely get fined. Obviously some areas are patrolled more heavily than others, you are almost guaranteed to get a ticket at the Pinkham Notch visitor center for example. There are free primitive camping sites off of Cherry Mountain Rd, north section of Jefferson Notch Rd (I think) and Gale River Rd, they are first come first serve, just a spot off the road for a tent and fire, no fee. They also tend to fill up on Friday nights and weekends but are usually vacant during the week. You can camp right off of Tripoli Rd in Waterville Valley as well but it tends to attract drunk fratboys and I think there's a fee.

Definitely buy this map and bone up on the backcountry camping rules. The rules seem much more complicated than they actually are, almost anyplace you aren't allowed to camp will be clearly posted (i.e. the whole list of specific areas and trails, which are a pretty small fraction of the park). Also no camping in the alpine zone, it's usually posted as well but not always, if you can touch the top of a tree you are likely in the alpine zone. Almost every site run by the AMC or RMC charges a fee as well, and those sites tend to be located in the most popular/dramatic areas, though it sounds like you just want the backcountry experience anyway.

What are your goals specifically in terms of climbing? There are lots of great places to camp legally and relatively close to the trailhead but it really depends on what you're looking to get out of the trip.

gross
Jan 7, 2006

Well, here's your problem!

talktapes posted:

It really depends, do you have any general plans? How long is the trip going to be? Are there any specific mountains you'd like to hit? What time of year are you planning on going? The WMNF is a pretty big park and the terrain/popularity varies from area to area. The most popular places are easily Franconia Notch, Crawford Notch and the Presidential range at any time of year though. It's illegal to camp in Franconia and Crawford Notch state parks (except at designated sites) and very difficult to camp high in the Presidentials outside of designated sites due to steepness or alpine zone restrictions. It's difficult even with a hammock because of tree density.

It's illegal to camp within 1/4 mile of any trailhead, by legal definition sleeping in your car is considered camping. People do it all the time but if a park ranger or cop catches you, you will definitely get fined. Obviously some areas are patrolled more heavily than others, you are almost guaranteed to get a ticket at the Pinkham Notch visitor center for example. There are free primitive camping sites off of Cherry Mountain Rd, north section of Jefferson Notch Rd (I think) and Gale River Rd, they are first come first serve, just a spot off the road for a tent and fire, no fee. They also tend to fill up on Friday nights and weekends but are usually vacant during the week. You can camp right off of Tripoli Rd in Waterville Valley as well but it tends to attract drunk fratboys and I think there's a fee.

Definitely buy this map and bone up on the backcountry camping rules. The rules seem much more complicated than they actually are, almost anyplace you aren't allowed to camp will be clearly posted (i.e. the whole list of specific areas and trails, which are a pretty small fraction of the park). Also no camping in the alpine zone, it's usually posted as well but not always, if you can touch the top of a tree you are likely in the alpine zone. Almost every site run by the AMC or RMC charges a fee as well, and those sites tend to be located in the most popular/dramatic areas, though it sounds like you just want the backcountry experience anyway.

What are your goals specifically in terms of climbing? There are lots of great places to camp legally and relatively close to the trailhead but it really depends on what you're looking to get out of the trip.

That's a huge help already, thank you. I was researching the different camping sites and rules a while ago, and felt like I knew less than when I started.

I'm looking at 3 (possibly 4) nights in early-mid August, so at least two full days to explore two different areas, and a few hours on the last morning. It sounds like it would make sense to arrive on a weekday. As far as specific goals, I'm still working on narrowing that down. Basically, I want to spend some decent time on ridge trails and peaks for one of the days, and closer to rivers/streams for the other.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
A good two day trip that would get both of your objectives would be starting at the Lincoln Woods trailhead, going up the Bonds to stealth camp along the twinway, then on day 2 hiking over South Twin to the Galehead hut and following low trails back to the Lincoln trailhead.

You can add the North Twin (great), West Bond (great), and Galehead (mediocre but very close) peaks if you want more challenge/mileage.

The Bonds hike is my favorite ridge in the Whites and isn't as crowded as Franconia or the Presidentials. The Guyot campsite along the Bonds trail fills up early.

e: you could add the Franconia ridge to this plan and do the full Pemi Loop in three or four days. There will be less low land river hiking but you'll cover two of the best ridges.

ploots fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 27, 2016

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

gross posted:

That's a huge help already, thank you. I was researching the different camping sites and rules a while ago, and felt like I knew less than when I started.

I'm looking at 3 (possibly 4) nights in early-mid August, so at least two full days to explore two different areas, and a few hours on the last morning. It sounds like it would make sense to arrive on a weekday. As far as specific goals, I'm still working on narrowing that down. Basically, I want to spend some decent time on ridge trails and peaks for one of the days, and closer to rivers/streams for the other.

OK cool, in that case I agree with turevidar, the Bonds would be an excellent trip. In terms of sustained, exposed ridge walking, the Presis are higher, and both the Presis and Franconia ridge are exposed for longer, but the actual summits of the Bonds and the mid-Pemi peaks (i.e. S. Twin, Garfield, both Guyots) are amazing because you’re in the heart of the park and surrounded by ridges, the views are much better. If you end up having a 3/4 day window of good weather then you should just do the full Pemi loop, Garfield is a great summit as well and Franconia ridge (while crowded on weekends) is still awesome. There's detailed info here. There are places to camp on the ridge outside of the established/managed tentsites but your water options are very limited.

If you really want to visit a few different areas, you could do the trip over the Bonds turevidar described and check out another place. One thing to keep in mind is that the Lincoln Woods trail is long and boring, if you do the full loop do it counterclockwise to avoid walking it at the end of the trip. If you just do the Bonds then you'll get stuck walking a portion of it plus the Franconia Brook Trail out the next day which is a lot of boring mileage (speaking from experience).

For a lower elevation hike the eastern part of the Pemi might be worth checking out. Ethan Pond Trail through Zealand Notch is gorgeous, there’s very good camping off the Zeacliff Trail to the left prior to crossing Whitewall Brook. There is also not-as-good camping off Ethan Pond Trail just prior to hitting the FPA around Zealand Falls hut heading north, plus some other scattered spots in the area. Ethan Pond Trail also connects to the desolation section of the Pemi via Shoal Pond and Thoreau Falls trails, I have not been there yet but it sees very little traffic and is supposed to be nice and rugged. You could also connect up with Nancy Pond from the Stillwater Junction area but there is some elevation gain there. Also there is substantial elevation gain to Zeacliff in Zealand Notch but it’s a very very nice lookout, Zeacliff Trail is extremely steep with a couple tricky scrambles but taking the Twinway up isn’t nearly as steep.

A completely different option is to backpack the Baldfaces, possibly staying at the shelter on the first night, then dipping into the Wild River Wilderness after hiking both peaks and Eagle Crag the next day. That would also allow you a lot of loop options up to the Carter Range so you could do some ridge stuff, camp out low, then some more ridge stuff and hike back to your car (summit of Mt. Hight is fantastic, also Moriah). Full disclosure, I haven't been in that wilderness or even hiked the Baldfaces yet, but I was right next to them for the first time last weekend hiking Mt. Meader and Eagle Crag and that whole area looks amazing.

talktapes fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 28, 2016

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
I just got my Marmot Limelight 2p and I can't figure out what some of the equipment is. Any ideas on the hollow orange tube or the black plastic thingies?

https://goo.gl/photos/pKNe1Lias9GhnQZ78

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tots posted:

I just got my Marmot Limelight 2p and I can't figure out what some of the equipment is. Any ideas on the hollow orange tube or the black plastic thingies?

https://goo.gl/photos/pKNe1Lias9GhnQZ78

The orange tube is a splint in case you break a pole or something

The black plastics things are line locks so you can easily adjust the tension on the guy lines without tying a special knot to do it (though a hitch knot of some sort isn't too hard to learn)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Since we're talking about tent stuff... got a tent for car camping so we don't have to use our backpacking tent. How the gently caress do you properly put up an REI Kingdom 6? poo poo is super complicated.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Internet Explorer posted:

Since we're talking about tent stuff... got a tent for car camping so we don't have to use our backpacking tent. How the gently caress do you properly put up an REI Kingdom 6? poo poo is super complicated.

Why the gently caress did you buy a Maharaja's tent? With a Crane, and hoisted suspension system I'd imagine.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVqnb0-GL8Q

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

talktapes posted:

There are places to camp on the ridge outside of the established/managed tentsites but your water options are very limited.

This is incredibly true, especially on the stretch from the Osseo trail to the Garfield tentsite (basically 1/3 of the loop). If you go counter-clockwise the only accessible water besides the river at the start of the Osseo is at the Greenleaf tentsite. If it's really hot plan accordingly because that part of the trail is very exposed and you will run out of water.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

Action Jackson! posted:

This is incredibly true, especially on the stretch from the Osseo trail to the Garfield tentsite (basically 1/3 of the loop). If you go counter-clockwise the only accessible water besides the river at the start of the Osseo is at the Greenleaf tentsite. If it's really hot plan accordingly because that part of the trail is very exposed and you will run out of water.

Liberty Springs tentsite is an option too, if you have to visit either one though you're going to lose some substantial elevation.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

Why the gently caress did you buy a Maharaja's tent? With a Crane, and hoisted suspension system I'd imagine.

Because when you're used to camping in places that can rain for 2 days straight you value a little extra room if you can. Plus sometimes our friends tag along and they don't always have their own gear. It's total overkill... But why not? Other than the confusing setup.

Awesome, thank you. The last time I looked I couldn't find a video like this.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

talktapes posted:

Liberty Springs tentsite is an option too, if you have to visit either one though you're going to lose some substantial elevation.

Oh yeah, I forgot Liberty Springs. Definitely a pain in the rear end with regards to elevation loss. It's about 1.5 miles of steep, rocky descent just to get to it from the ridge line.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Has anyone been to Theodore Roosevelt NP? How miserably hot is it in the summer? I dont mind filtering backcountry water either but if I planned a overnight would the rivers through the park even be running enough to filter? Would I even want to try to filter that water or would it be to bad to even attempt?

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007
Has anyone ever been to Sespe or Willet Hot Springs in Los Padres NF? We're looking to do a 2-night backpacking trip over Memorial Day weekend (leaving from LA), and it's an area we're considering. Any other recommendations would be welcomed, as well. Thanks!

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Verman posted:

Avoid the draw of waterproof shoes.

Debatable.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Yea, waterproof socks are where it's at. Spent 8 hours today hiking in and around marshes, my feet were damp with sweat but otherwise dry when I got home, could wring water out of my WP socks.

Also, found a goddamn abandoned county park maybe 20min from my house today. Will effort post later but gently caress I am so excited.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

bongwizzard posted:

Yea, waterproof socks are where it's at. Spent 8 hours today hiking in and around marshes, my feet were damp with sweat but otherwise dry when I got home, could wring water out of my WP socks.

Also, found a goddamn abandoned county park maybe 20min from my house today. Will effort post later but gently caress I am so excited.

Waterproof boots are where it's at imo. Gotta have that ankle support and be able to walk through water and mud. If I were backpacking UL then I'd do shoes with water proof socks, but I'm too rugged (poor) to do that.

We tried to backpack Yolla Bolly last weekend but had to turn around because the roads were either collapsed or covered in snow. Camped instead. We bought permits for the deserted side of Desolation Wilderness over Memorial Day weekend to ease the pain and suffering of Yolla Bolly's failure.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

No, denied access to Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness!!?! I stayed in a fire cabin there one time, was rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Waterproof socks exist?!?!?