Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Carrasco posted:

The nice thing about the comic lately is that, since at least the start of this book, it has barely if at all referenced D&D concepts, much less leaned on them as heavily as the early comics did. It feels like Burlew's done away with those trappings almost entirely, and in a way so subtle it was barely even noticeable, which is as refreshing an artistic evolution as the more action-friendly stick figure style.

Pure rules have never kept him from telling the story he wants to, and that's even more true now. But no matter how dangerous hypothermia or drowning would normally be, it's just not a credible threat to these characters as they've been established, both from the very beginning and within the last few pages.

And the ones that he does do, he tends to do in different ways. Like in the storm on the airship when they pass off a rope that four people were struggling to hold down to Roy, who casually just stands there with it. Joke's still totally a D&D joke, but less straight-out simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Or the bit where they are fighting the Crystal golem and buy the adamant weapons.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Taerkar posted:

I never realized before how silly the drowning rules are.

Fine for potentially dozens of turns, then three turns of 0, -1, dead.

This came up last week in our D&D game where one member decided to just go swimming in the sea and got horribly mauled and dragged away by giant crabs.

Like were it not for teleportation magic, he was super "get the diamond dust out" dead. Because CPR is not a thing in D&D.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blastron posted:

The best part about the drowning rules is that drowning doesn't deal damage: it sets your HP to zero. So, if you're under some sort of effect that lets you keep fighting at negative hit points, you can drop yourself down to -300 HP, then stick your head in a bucket of water and let Davy Jones heal you back up to 0.

Also, you only need one round of air in your lungs to reset the timer entirely.

These guys are fine.

If you're not a tarrasque, you die at -10 hit points.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Cat Mattress posted:

If you're not a tarrasque, you die at -10 hit points.

Frenzied Berserkers (from Complete Warrior) can fight at any negative hit point value as long as they're raging, with the disadvantage that you must keep attacking things, and if you stop raging while at negative HP, you stop living too.

MikeJF posted:

I feel like that's the kind of thing a lot of DMs would tell you to gently caress off on.

Yes, but you see, the rules clearly state that
:goonsay:

(why do i still know any of this it's been years since i played any d20 game)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Question IRL posted:

This came up last week in our D&D game where one member decided to just go swimming in the sea and got horribly mauled and dragged away by giant crabs.

Like were it not for teleportation magic, he was super "get the diamond dust out" dead. Because CPR is not a thing in D&D.

I feel like a decent DM would let you do CPR as long as it was within a reasonable amount of rounds.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Len posted:

I feel like a decent DM would let you do CPR as long as it was within a reasonable amount of rounds.
CPR wasn't invented/discovered until the 60s. 1960s. No way a medieval society would possess that kind of knowledge. Especially not with the availability of healing magic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uEJbwGYaDs

my dad posted:

More likely, laugh, let you do it once, and then clarify "THIS DOES NOT WORK" for the future.
As far as I know there isn't a rule clarifying that you stop drowning if you're no longer under water. :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Poil posted:

CPR wasn't invented/discovered until the 60s. 1960s. No way a medieval society would possess that kind of knowledge. Especially not with the availability of healing magic.

As far as I know there isn't a rule clarifying that you stop drowning if you're no longer under water. :v:

Neither were Trains until the 1800's and yet Eberron has them.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If anything, it's strange that there's no magic solution. Magic can cure being poisoned, turned to stone, eviscerated, turned to jelly, and turned into a frog, but not having water in your lungs?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Poil posted:

Yes but if you DM exclusionary then your a dick.

Yes and... not for only one type of socially repressed need any more.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Poison Mushroom posted:

If anything, it's strange that there's no magic solution. Magic can cure being poisoned, turned to stone, eviscerated, turned to jelly, and turned into a frog, but not having water in your lungs?

Drowning puts you at 0 and then -1 HP, so cure light wounds would heal water in your lungs. Unless you're dead.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The real question is what happens to a creature with fast healing.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

PFlats posted:

Drowning puts you at 0 and then -1 HP, so cure light wounds would heal water in your lungs. Unless you're dead.

If HP is not actually health but a symbolic number representing fatigue, luck, fate, etc, maybe cure light wounds isn't a spell at all but rather a pat on the back

Helps expel water

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

PFlats posted:

Not if you stay underwater! If you drop to -1 HP from drowning and are then healed up to positive (even by a powerful spell like Heal, which cures up to 150 HP), next round you die anyway.

These rules aren't very well thought-out.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
That's a pretty edge case. If you're drowning and there's someone RIGHT THERE to cast healing on you, why are you drowning anyhow?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...Failed a roll to grab whatever was giving you water-breathing when it inevitably gets knocked off of you?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Regalingualius posted:

...Failed a roll to grab whatever was giving you water-breathing when it inevitably gets knocked off of you?

Unless you get hit with a disjunction or a dispel magic or anti-magic sphere, that's just the DM being an rear end in a top hat. Rings and necklaces don't just get "knocked off". No rule system can prevent rear end in a top hat DM syndrome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

That's a pretty edge case. If you're drowning and there's someone RIGHT THERE to cast healing on you, why are you drowning anyhow?

A very concerned mermaid happened to be passing by.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

A.o.D. posted:

Listen, if you're not playing D&D to watch characters die in amusing ways because the rules have very little thought put into them, then you're just not playing the right game to begin with

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

But that's just a thing about D&D (and Pathfinder.) There are a lot of situations where magic can completely trump a situation and some baffling ones where they can't.
Like you need to do a forced march through a deadly jungle with no food or water?
Yeah there are low level spells that make it a cake walk.
But (as an example.) we had a campaign where the bad guys were operating in a hidden Giant city at the top of the tallest mountain.
And we prepare to go climb the mountain and wreck them (since the place was warded against teleportation) and we run into a problem.
The air is too thin at the top of the mountain. If we try and climb it, we will just die.

And we spent a good hour and a half looking for spells or magic items to let us get through. And we could find all manner of stuff to let you survive underwater or even swimming through lava or stone.
But going to a place with very little air?
Only one spell in one source book could fix that problem.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

The Question IRL posted:

Polymorph?

Polymorph is usually the answer.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Mystic Mongol posted:

Polymorph?

Polymorph is usually the answer.

Alter self also works.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Does breathe water specify that you require oxygen from the water? Just go up there with a fishbowl on your head, duder.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

Does breathe water specify that you require oxygen from the water? Just go up there with a fishbowl on your head, duder.

No, it just lets you breathe water instead of air, and not like a fish, either. It doesn't matter how anoxic the water is.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

When you think about it, that's extremely weird. I mean I guess it's magic, but even then. Like...the idea that you can breathe so long as you're in something that cosmic forces can eyeball and go "hm, yep, looks like water". Does it work in custard? Slime? Paint?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Bigsby's Breathe Paint

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Android Blues posted:

When you think about it, that's extremely weird. I mean I guess it's magic, but even then. Like...the idea that you can breathe so long as you're in something that cosmic forces can eyeball and go "hm, yep, looks like water". Does it work in custard? Slime? Paint?

You're going to look really foolish when it turns out that lake of paint is oil-based.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Android Blues posted:

It's semantic. You're fine in muddy water, but not in watery mud. You'll suffocate in an avalanche (because it's ice, not water), but be able to breathe in a jokulhaup. Where is that line? It's probably a know it when you see it thing, which means it's subject to DM fiat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Which is the whole point of a decent DM.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Magic isn't physics champ, hth

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Humans are 60% water, so you can just breathe yourself.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah that's where the classical four elements clash with what modern science knows. You've gotta put your post-enlightenment knowledge of physics and go back to a magic mindset, since after all you're playing a game where you can rub bat guano between your fingers and if you say "abracadabra" just right it'll create a fireball. Air is air, water is water. Water isn't H2O, it's water. H2O doesn't even exist in that world.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 5, 2016

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

And we spent a good hour and a half looking for spells or magic items to let us get through. And we could find all manner of stuff to let you survive underwater or even swimming through lava or stone.
But going to a place with very little air?

I found your problem. It's this concept of "if it's in a sourcebook it's allowed" and its inversion "if it's not in a sourcebook it's not possible". It's that the players and GM don't have the imagination to adapt something appropriate into the rules of their imagination game.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

Android Blues posted:

Calaveron posted:

Bigsby's Breathe Paint

dont need no spell to huff paint.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

IMJack posted:

I found your problem. It's this concept of "if it's in a sourcebook it's allowed" and its inversion "if it's not in a sourcebook it's not possible". It's that the players and GM don't have the imagination to adapt something appropriate into the rules of their imagination game.

Well thanks for saying that I have no imagination.

In answer to your question D&D as a game has it's flaws and shoddy rules. But if you start wholesale ignoring them or just creating new rules or new spells for specific situations you can end up with even more unbalanced things.

Anyway the Spell that fixed everything was Life Bubble. For when you need to walk around on the Moon.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

The Question IRL posted:

Well thanks for saying that I have no imagination.

In answer to your question D&D as a game has it's flaws and shoddy rules. But if you start wholesale ignoring them or just creating new rules or new spells for specific situations you can end up with even more unbalanced things.

Anyway the Spell that fixed everything was Life Bubble. For when you need to walk around on the Moon.

One of the rules of D&D is explicitly about making up new spells to cover the shortfalls of the other ones.

Also, hilariously, Prestidigitation probably actually works there since no one ever created a 'breathe thin air spell' explicitly.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Zore posted:

One of the rules of D&D is explicitly about making up new spells to cover the shortfalls of the other ones.

Also, hilariously, Prestidigitation probably actually works there since no one ever created a 'breathe thin air spell' explicitly.

I dunno if that works by the text of the spell, but if a player said "can we get around the altitude problem by creating 'crude and artificial looking' air" I'd say sure.

Well, I would probably say "what is this oxygen nonsense, everyone knows the air gets richer as you approach the domain of the gods", but either way.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Carrasco posted:

I dunno if that works by the text of the spell, but if a player said "can we get around the altitude problem by creating 'crude and artificial looking' air" I'd say sure.

Well, I would probably say "what is this oxygen nonsense, everyone knows the air gets richer as you approach the domain of the gods", but either way.

This is Good DnD right here.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Carrasco posted:

Well, I would probably say "what is this oxygen nonsense, everyone knows the air gets richer as you approach the domain of the gods"

Owns, will be applying this logic liberally.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

In answer to your question D&D as a game has it's flaws and shoddy rules. But if you start wholesale ignoring them or just creating new rules or new spells for specific situations you can end up with even more unbalanced.

The first and most important rule of D&D, indeed any GM-driven game, is that the GM is the final arbiter and can overrule what's in the books. It's not about "balance". If the GM says you can get a spell to solve a problem, it doesn't matter if such a spell isn't in a published book.

Likewise it's the GM's prerogative to ban something (in a published book or not) for the purposes of their own game. After one glorious combat dragon killing spree where our Druid turned into a kraken with Bite of the Werebear active, our GM's response was "that was awesome. You are never doing that again."