Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Chev posted:

The old guy's sprite is literally fei long's torso pasted on Yamazaki's legs and the hitsparks that aren't from kof are from Metal Slug. The mugen association runs deeper than just the engine.

well, the chars have been available for mugen for like, at least half a decade if not a full on decade at this point so yeah

ubu and ella are both pretty cool mugen chars but i have no idea what the gently caress to think in regards to an actual mugen fighting game being made w/ them

i think i'd prefer one made by phantom of the server or that one guy who died who made evil ryu/ken/dragon claw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
everything about it except the character portraits looks awful

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Violent Ken for SFV, when??

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The best part of MUGEN is its community and how people on youtube brag that they made a character that can beat Violent Ken in AI vs AI battles

The best best part is the Sean who beat Violent Ken because the guy who made him accidentally flagged his parry as a move that can be canceled into, so you see the startup frames for a really lovely Sean move and then he immediately parries and then begins to do another move and parries again and it repeats like six times in a row

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

inthesto posted:

The best part of MUGEN is its community and how people on youtube brag that they made a character that can beat Violent Ken in AI vs AI battles

The best best part is the Sean who beat Violent Ken because the guy who made him accidentally flagged his parry as a move that can be canceled into, so you see the startup frames for a really lovely Sean move and then he immediately parries and then begins to do another move and parries again and it repeats like six times in a row

Lol

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

inthesto posted:

Link this video

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Gonna assume it's this one since it's the first result on youtube and looks the part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I88DC7PWfgk

That moment at the end is like a hilarious knockoff of the Daigo parry.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 5, 2016

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Saoshyant posted:

Gonna assume it's this one since it's the first result on youtube and looks the part.

Yep, this is the one

If you look closely, Sean parries regardless of what state he's in. Doing a move? Parry. Whiffed a throw? Parry. Recovering from super? Parry.

If only mugen could always be this glorious

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
brian nods approvingly... "such depth"

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
that video is such a loving mess holy moly

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i really like that in the sense that it has the does not give a gently caress sensibilities of a 90s game

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
basically its a thing i want to exist in this world, but have no interest in paying for

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

inthesto posted:

Sweet Jesus, that's amazing

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also thats probably got the best animation ive seen out of any random shitter game on the planet

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

inthesto posted:

Real talk though that Evil Ken and the other 2 chars the same guy did are really, really fun to play (in a wow-this-is-broken-but-in-fun-ways kinda way).

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Animation's really nice on Rotten Core, but the blatantly ripped-off assets are a huge turnoff. If you don't have your own sound design yet, it's not your game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Saoshyant posted:

If this was a legitimate game I assume it would be an "everyone is so broken that it works" kind of game.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sade posted:

Animation's really nice on Rotten Core, but the blatantly ripped-off assets are a huge turnoff. If you don't have your own sound design yet, it's not your game.

As I said, it's not just the sound design, the sprites are voltroned from existing fighting games too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chev posted:

As I said, it's not just the sound design, the sprites are voltroned from existing fighting games too.

any examples? curious since i didnt actually recognize anything

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Just the main character's sprite, as far as I can tell; they even own up to it in the FAQ. They've got everything budgeted out pretty well it seems; a large chunk of the funds are indeed going towards their own hitstun effects and SFX. I just don't know if they're going to get anywhere close to their goal, seeing as how this is about as indie as you can get. Also, don't like how deep they threw GGPO integration into the stretch goals; rollback netcode is fast becoming the standard for a reason.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

anime was right posted:

any examples? curious since i didnt actually recognize anything

Here's the best known one. The "All new HD explosion" on the IGG page is a metal slug explosion run through an upscale filter, too.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Chev posted:

Here's the best known one. The "All new HD explosion" on the IGG page is a metal slug explosion run through an upscale filter, too.

okay yeah, the old guy looked weirdly like fei when i first saw it but the others didnt seem to do it so i guess i tucked it away in the back of my head and was like probably just a coincidence since i didnt notice anything else.

rip.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Like I've never played it but from watching some poo poo on YouTube pretty much everything related to MUGEN is a cesspool. What am I missing?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SaltyBet

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
MUGEN was a relic from the early 2000s

it was a mess but it was kind of a cool mess because you could create the ultimate dream match of poo poo like homer simpson vs drunken ryu and that poo poo owned even though most characters were completely broken

it was more or less a fun novelty at the time

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Apparently the game's characters have been done for quite some time.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
During the early days of Youtube I think one of the most watched videos (or something like that) was a MUGEN match of Homer Simpson vs. Vegeta. (Well, since it was a Mexican video it was Homero vs. Vegita.)

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

dangerdoom volvo posted:

brian nods approvingly... "such depth"

yeah because i'm that shallow to like something terrible because oh poo poo did you see those parries bruv

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
That one is too easy.

There's a zero percent chance that game is even playable, but I do wish it was a janky thing that existed in this world so I could download it and feel the terribleness.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

brian posted:

yeah because i'm that shallow to like something terrible because oh poo poo did you see those parries bruv

but DID you see them parries bruv

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also for as garbage as KI is, there's a distinct lack of Japanese ghost women on fighting games and that should be remedied because they make for cool characters, as proven there.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

is that your fetish dias

rose is disappointed

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, they're legit actually 1000 year olds!

Really tho, I just want more female characters that aren't hot girl in a miniskirt/catsuit and KI ghost girl is cool.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

General Morden posted:

MUGEN was a relic from the early 2000s

it was a mess but it was kind of a cool mess because you could create the ultimate dream match of poo poo like homer simpson vs drunken ryu and that poo poo owned even though most characters were completely broken

it was more or less a fun novelty at the time

MUGEN also had a strong tendency to appeal to grown men who wore Naruto headbands at anime conventions, though I think actual Naruto fighting games coming out in the US supplanted that

When I was in college, I met multiple dudes who said "mugen is my poo poo" without a trace of irony

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Crazy grandpa #1 is a mix-n-match of assets, ghost girl is a saltybet regular, crazy grandpa #2: biker edition is OK, but crazy grandpa #3 looks like he's actually custom drawn?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
omega tom hanks

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

dangerdoom volvo posted:

omega tom hanks

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I loving played with those "Rotten Core" chars back in 2007 when I was still into MUGEN.
What the gently caress is going on :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk0kufx74Io