Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Anyone that was upset that not enough happened last chapter should be satisfied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh my loving god that was such horseshit

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Levi, you loving idiot

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

loving poo poo why can't a shifter in this story just loving die, jeez

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Blue Balls: The Manga

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Mandatory listening for this chapter because it reminds me so much of the best part of the anime.

It was so drat satisfying to see Monkey Trouble get annihalated by Levi, even if he didn't secure the kill. I'm amazed Levi didn't get killed by the mule titan because taking down Monkey Trouble seemed a lot like a last "hurrah" before a tragic death. That said, I'm reasonably confident that Levi won't get taken down by the mindless titans. He won't catch up to Zeke again but he'll survive... probably.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

Levi, you loving idiot

Indeed.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Poor Marlow. To think he died while the nameless guy from last chapter survived.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Has it actually come out yet or are you reading a dump text of translation along with the japanese raws?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Krinkle posted:

Has it actually come out yet or are you reading a dump text of translation along with the japanese raws?

It's Chinese scans with English captions at the bottom of each page

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

drat it when is the stupid chapter coming out?

Oh, well thanks then.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Curse you rotten kids, I'll be back next week for my revenge!

I actually feel like things progressed backwards this time.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I like the callback when Levi cuts Zeke out of his titan, he removes his arms and legs like he planned to with Eren.

Don't know why people are upset. Mule titan was always nearby getting rocks for Zeke. Everything that happened in the chapter is narratively consistent. Levi hesitated because he wanted to save Erwin over killing Zeke.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I like the callback when Levi cuts Zeke out of his titan, he removes his arms and legs like he planned to with Eren.

Don't know why people are upset. Mule titan was always nearby getting rocks for Zeke. Everything that happened in the chapter is narratively consistent. Levi hesitated because he wanted to save Erwin over killing Zeke.
Yeah this is all totally valid.

Still...gently caress. FUUUUUCK.

Well maybe Erwin's going to get the serum now...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Because it's loving dumb that your most competent character isn't allowed to kill this rear end in a top hat that is one of the most dangerous characters right now because that would break the plot, I guess. It's narratively consistent, but it's not satisfying even a little bit. This manga already moves at a glacial pace and a chapter where nothing of significance happened is pretty drat annoying because it means we have to wait another month for the actual important stuff to be dealt with.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I'm not upset because it's inconsistent. I'm upset because godfuckingdamnit Levi this is the second time in like ten minutes you hosed up the kill on a titanshifter, step up your game

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I would have been okay with it if it hadn't been executed hilariously badly, as it is it's practically a deus ex machina in favor of the bad guys. Levi would have basically had to fly over the pack mule titan to get to the monkey, but he had zero awareness of it and it's unbelievable to think he just dismissed it as being harmless considering his experience. He had his sword in the monkey guy's head, yet couldn't withdraw it in a way that would have killed him and instead pulled it perfectly back out such that it didn't even put an extra scratch on him. Even if he wasn't superhuman, he could have just swung his sword wildly after dodging and probably had a drat good chance to decapitate the pack mule or monkey man, considering the pack mule would have had to swing his head and monkey man practically right back over him in order to take off running in the direction that it did. He just stared stupidly for multiple panels as the pack mule ran off even though it's demonstrated a few panels later he still has gas left and could have just spidermanned onto the thing.

I guess you could argue he was in emotional turmoil or exhausted or whatever, but it's way too contrived that his competence turns on and off so conveniently, it's basically the author handwaving it so that monkey guy survives.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hey listen, it's chapter 81

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Yeah that was lame. Very saturday morning cartoonish

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
My prediction is that Levi will catch up to him next chapter and finish him off and this chapter was a fakeout because hope springs eternal.

Baal posted:

Because it's loving dumb that your most competent character isn't allowed to kill this rear end in a top hat that is one of the most dangerous characters right now because that would break the plot, I guess. It's narratively consistent, but it's not satisfying even a little bit. This manga already moves at a glacial pace and a chapter where nothing of significance happened is pretty drat annoying because it means we have to wait another month for the actual important stuff to be dealt with.
Then stop reading it until it's over or almost over and binge it if the pacing is that big of a bother.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No because I enjoy this manga and this one chapter hasn't soured me on the whole series? I don't like the pacing, but I'm still reading because I enjoy the series, I'm not gonna stop reading monthly because of one bad chapter.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

RIP that one guy who was introduced for the purpose of getting killed off.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I feel really bad for Marlowe, like god drat dude.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Marlo got Marco'd, right down to his head being split in half

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

all that hype.....

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fister Roboto posted:

RIP that one guy who was introduced for the purpose of getting killed off.

be fair, he was introduced like, 12 volumes ago

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

That chapter owned. Monkey Trouble is possibly the big bad of the entire series. There's no way he was going to go down that easy.

I'm pouring one out for the Survey Corps right now.

I rewatched that one off episode of the anime where the talking titan mistakes the survey corps girl for Ymir. We've been at this battle for so long I've forgotten about the other mysteries of the series, like why is Ymir important enough for a random titan to treat someone who looks like her as royalty. I've been enjoying the battle and it, along with a bunch of other great scenes from the last few volumes, are probably going to be amazing when animated.

That said, I do hope some of the questions about the world are answered in the next 6 months worth of chapters.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
it's supposed to be 20 volumes, right? For that to happen, there's only gonna be one or two more chapters

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Theres no way this shits ending that fast

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Monkey Trouble is not the central antagonist, he's a co-conspirator at best and a higher up schmuck than Reiner and Bert at worst.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Monkey's dad might be the big bad.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm guessing the closest person this story is going to have to a central antagonist is the woman Eren's father ate during the first time skip.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Bert and/or Ernie don't get dropped or real in the next 2 chapters I drop this like a rock

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nah I think that is an obvious setup for Titan Levi
Your weapons are exhausted, eh?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

genericnick posted:

Holy poo poo yes. But I think he might give it to the sole survivor dude instead since he will surely die otherwise.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I do wonder if Levi will lose his way a little bit in the coming chapters. I don't think he's going to take this operation that well.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Levi's been having a pretty lovely time between having to kill his foster dad and watch his best friend die horribly, he'll cope with it like he usually does. Kicking the poo poo out of Titans and Eren.

Nyandaber Z
Apr 8, 2009

genericnick posted:

I don't know, he's deadly enough as a human to instill fear in Zeke, who considers the rest of the survey squad as mere ants. And since there is no shifter around to eat, he'd only be a mindless titan. Or maybe he'll go munch on Reiner while Eren/Armin take care of Bert?

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I kind of hope it doesn't happen, it'd be like Batman developing superpowers. It only worked for Eren because he had no redeemable traits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Levi does have superpower, that Ackerman determination thing.