Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"The ability to pronounce LibreOffice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"What's this 'Liebarry Office' on your resumé?"

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
um we don't use the spanish version of Office here

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

go3 posted:

um we don't use the spanish version of Office here

https://products.office.com/es/home

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

actually now that I think about it I think i actually have "openoffice" on my resume still

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh god, openoffice. A job-2, we ripped out Office from all of the store computers and replaced it with openoffice, since nobody used outlook. The amount of install xml fuckery I had to do to set office xml formats as default in the package was ugly.

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
Pretty sure some people use open office in the 2nd company I have to support. They're a bunch of potheads though.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

devmd01 posted:

Oh god, openoffice. A job-2, we ripped out Office from all of the store computers and replaced it with openoffice, since nobody used outlook. The amount of install xml fuckery I had to do to set office xml formats as default in the package was ugly.

Yeah, that was always fun...

We switched to LibreOffice soon after the fork, as it was clear they where progressing much faster. LibreOffice now fully supports changing all settings via GPO. I don't think that has been rolled into OpenOffice yet.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
How is the Openoffice death march not over yet? There's like zero reasons for anyone to use it over Libreoffice besides name recognition for nerds.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

blowfish posted:

name recognition for nerds.

you guessed it

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
no. no you cant renegotiate contracts with vendors for a fixed set of seats by crossing them out and changing the totals.

accounting, what the utter gently caress.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We have 2 networks at the main site, one for VOIP and one for computers. We're switching VOIP providers to cloud based so we wont have the black box that is the VOIP Server firewall and DHCP server. I'm looking for a cheap firewall that can handle about 25 phones and that's it. I don't even really need VPN for it since nothing will be inside (unless the 2 networks get bridged somehow, which could happen).

I was looking at a Sonicwall TZ 105 since we currently have a sonicwall and keeping that uniform will just make managing it easier, but I'm open to other vendors in the sub $500 range as long as they wont choke. I do not need QoS it will only be for phones. Basically cheapest thing that is a reasonable firewall with DHCP and will handle the workload, I can always setup an old server for DHCP if it will save $100+.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want a Sonicwall then get the TZ SOHO since the 105 is ancient now. I'm not really sure that what you're doing needs anything fancy though - presumably you're just going to block all inbound traffic and only allow outbound to your provider, and don't need QoS since the connection is only for phones to use.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

If you want a Sonicwall then get the TZ SOHO since the 105 is ancient now. I'm not really sure that what you're doing needs anything fancy though - presumably you're just going to block all inbound traffic and only allow outbound to your provider, and don't need QoS since the connection is only for phones to use.

Nope nothing fancy, I just want this done on the cheap. Allow a few ports and provide DHCP is everything. the TZ 105 was priced under the SOHO when I looked at the list price on vendor sites, but it wasn't by much.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
In my experience Sonicwalls have been horrible for VoIP. They seem to have some ALG that doesn't work properly and can't be turned off, or at least the people managing the ones I've encountered are too dumb to turn it off (entirely possible). Watchguard, Fortigate, OpenWRT, and pfSense all work fine, as do most crappy home routers, but for some reason Sonicwalls never seem to work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't see a use case that would require anything above a basic router with NAT and ACL support but if you already work with Sonicwalls and you know them then it's probably worth a few hundred to keep some consistency.

One of the VoIP suppliers we work with puts little Juniper SRX110s out for this sort of usage and they seem to work really well.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

wolrah posted:

In my experience Sonicwalls have been horrible for VoIP. They seem to have some ALG that doesn't work properly and can't be turned off, or at least the people managing the ones I've encountered are too dumb to turn it off (entirely possible). Watchguard, Fortigate, OpenWRT, and pfSense all work fine, as do most crappy home routers, but for some reason Sonicwalls never seem to work.

I'd prefer not to do a roll your own or consumer grade, any low end models that would hit this? I haven't tried using them with VoIP, we just have the Sonicwalls already. I don't love them but I also don't want to leave a mess of multiple brands for the same function for the next guy to take my place when I move on.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can't see a use case that would require anything above a basic router with NAT and ACL support but if you already work with Sonicwalls and you know them then it's probably worth a few hundred to keep some consistency.

One of the VoIP suppliers we work with puts little Juniper SRX110s out for this sort of usage and they seem to work really well.

I looked, the SRX110 seemed about +$150 which isn't much on paper but when looking at sub $500 firewalls its a pretty large amount.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

pfSense the commercial entity has recently released a $299 tiny appliance that may be worth investigating.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrMoo posted:

pfSense the commercial entity has recently released a $299 tiny appliance that may be worth investigating.

I use those and the SG-2440 4-port variant all the time, they're wonderful.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Does it make sense for the Small Shop Administrator to leverage azure as a backup domain controller?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Backup as in Azure Site Recovery or secondary DC as in a Windows VM and VPN?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

Backup as in Azure Site Recovery or secondary DC as in a Windows VM and VPN?

sorry I meant the latter - redundant domain controller (like I need to replace all the hardware at this site and I don't want to buy more than one physical server)

but also I thought I can use Azure AD somehow for this

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Azure ADDS does not support full domain services functionality so you can't replace an on premises (or VM in the cloud with VPN) setup with it.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
It's doable but is the cost worth it? With just one on prem host it's likely the event that takes out your DC is going to take out everything else. Is a remote DC going to help at all in that event?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Swink posted:

It's doable but is the cost worth it? With just one on prem host it's likely the event that takes out your DC is going to take out everything else. Is a remote DC going to help at all in that event?

Well so I'm trying to think what's really going to be on prem that isn't somewhere else too.

1. email - exchange online
2. crm - salesforce
3. finance - they rdp into some accounting firm's server or something
4. printer server - who cares

So what's left are files and DC. For the straight file shares I feel like I can do carbonite for the cheap solution. All that's left is DC.

I guess frankly I could do something low tech like backup to disk and just have them expect it'll take like a day to bring it back online, which would be fine since exchange online will still work even without communication with the DC.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Well so I'm trying to think what's really going to be on prem that isn't somewhere else too.

2. crm - salesforce

So what's left are files and DC. For the straight file shares I feel like I can do carbonite for the cheap solution. All that's left is DC.

I guess frankly I could do something low tech like backup to disk and just have them expect it'll take like a day to bring it back online, which would be fine since exchange online will still work even without communication with the DC.

I just did a vm Backup DC offsite. then eventually did it on amazon as it just really didnt have a huge amount of load.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

2. crm - salesforce

Backup what to disk? I'm not even sure you can get a domain back up and running from a backup, I've been told its a horrible idea. I've always been taught if you can't afford 2 DCs in an organization you should stick with work groups. If its multiple sites you can use your VPN and just have slow authentication while users talk to a server 4,000 miles away. I'd get a 2nd license for server and throw it on whatever I had lying around, even a Pentium 4, it's your backup solution. If you really must have a backup you get a few VMs with any modern copy of windows, run the DC in hyper-v and backup using veeam and recover from that, I think that's about all I'd trust to restore correctly in a single DC shop.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Why wouldn't you just add the new hardware to the current situation, let the DCs do their replication dance, and then demote and discard the old DC and hardware?

Morganus_Starr
Jan 28, 2001

2. crm - salesforce

Is your DC virtualized on hyper-v or vmware?

For a lot of the small shops where I've deployed 2012R2 with Hyper-V, Altaro Hyper-V backup works great. You can run it on the same hyper-v host also without issue. You can get a free license which backs up 2 guest VMs on a hyper-v host. Backup destinations can be most anything local. If you really want to up your game you can buy the $400 license and replicate your backups offsite somewhere, a second branch office, amazon, azure etc.

Anyway it's what I do, that way if you only have 1 DC and the DC gets corrupted as hell you can just restore the VM to a prior recovery point and be up and going within 30 minutes to few hours depending on if the site burns down. Cheap insurance policy that will probably save you $$$ over hosting a second VM elsewhere.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

thanks everyone. yeah I think for this size deployment you're right hosting DC off site is overkill.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
So, home working.

Because of immense lack of foresight our small office is exploding with people and management want to start offloading people home, normally anyone mobile gets kitted out with a laptop which more or less works except they still have a desk/dock to come back to.

I'm thinking we start using desktop style thin clients as our terminal server is sitting pretty, I've never used these before so what's out there which you can power on and you can log straight into the office? The target staff will be doing contact center style work so they only need to get to our file server (on prem) use the CRM (hosted) and regular word processing/E-mail, the most important thing is phone calls so anything that works with a headset is grand (hosted voip but we haven't tried softphones yet).

Mostly I'm looking into using these to ensure local storage mishaps won't be a thing and everything happens on our servers, plus they're so simple it's hard to break anything.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

So, home working.

Because of immense lack of foresight our small office is exploding with people and management want to start offloading people home, normally anyone mobile gets kitted out with a laptop which more or less works except they still have a desk/dock to come back to.

I'm thinking we start using desktop style thin clients as our terminal server is sitting pretty, I've never used these before so what's out there which you can power on and you can log straight into the office? The target staff will be doing contact center style work so they only need to get to our file server (on prem) use the CRM (hosted) and regular word processing/E-mail, the most important thing is phone calls so anything that works with a headset is grand (hosted voip but we haven't tried softphones yet).

Mostly I'm looking into using these to ensure local storage mishaps won't be a thing and everything happens on our servers, plus they're so simple it's hard to break anything.

you are talking thin clients at the home or thin clients that users with laptops are rdping into?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Speaking as a long time Citrix admin... If you are a small shop can you switch to cloud products to sidestep this issue? What you are talking about doing is total possible. But standing up a single terminal server and then having people VPN in isn't the most awesome or scalable thing in the world.

If I was starting a new company I would look long and hard at cloud offerings before going to RDP/ICA route.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Or look at Amazon WorkSpaces

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

SneakyFrog posted:

you are talking thin clients at the home or thin clients that users with laptops are rdping into?

Thin Clients at home.

Thing is the terminal server is a hangover from when the business used to operate out of two offices (the satellite was a room of non-domain windows home edition all-in-one units, woo!) where HQ would work off the local network and the other would RDP in, now everyone is in a single office the terminal server only occasionally get used by the odd mobile user.

Of course I only came in mid-way through so I'm trying to make the most of what we got, the thought of using thin clients for home users is a combination of eliminating local anything and saving a bit of cash.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Super Slash posted:

Thin Clients at home.

Thing is the terminal server is a hangover from when the business used to operate out of two offices (the satellite was a room of non-domain windows home edition all-in-one units, woo!) where HQ would work off the local network and the other would RDP in, now everyone is in a single office the terminal server only occasionally get used by the odd mobile user.

Of course I only came in mid-way through so I'm trying to make the most of what we got, the thought of using thin clients for home users is a combination of eliminating local anything and saving a bit of cash.

price point wise

If its just office tasks and web/cloud everything I have some remote admin users on NUCs just for price point for general office task stuff its alright for light-mid resource usage

you CAN go nuts with the newer ones a little bit too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

phonewise someone else might guide you there I use forwarded numbers from pbx to softphone clients rarely and usually receptionists are on site

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Super Slash posted:

So, home working.

A lot of my clients use RDP as their standard work-from-home solution and it's fine... can't imagine what it would be like troubleshooting the actual physical thin client though when it's at home. Most of my clients have policy of "if you're working from home use your own computer/ipad" and they're in charge of everything up until they can get to the internet, then we support connecting to the RDP session.

I have one sales guy who has an iPad and uses it exclusively to RDP and check Outlook and the CRM from there. It's so weird that he does that but it works and he never asks me for help.

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 10, 2016

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
VMware Horizon is awesome for this stuff. I don't care what they use, hit the security server.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, XenDesktop is the same thing. My point is that if your company is small and growing quickly, unless you plan your remote work strategy smartly you can put yourself into a corner. Standing up a single RDS server is a quick fix that becomes a pain once you grow a bit. The AWS Workspaces suggestion is a good one. I still think if you are still small enough to make major changes, it is worth looking at what you can do with just cloud services these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I had no idea Amazon Workspaces was even a thing. We're in the early stages of a migration to a platform which doesn't really fit our needs and was only really selected because it was an emergency so ... might be time to stop and reconsider things. If I can just give every user a desktop via Workspaces and let them share documents within the VPC then that would be a way better option.

Hardest part I guess would be figuring out if it's possible to somehow set up SSO using Google Apps as the identity provider because I can already see the fallout if I've got to go tell everyone to remember yet another username/password combination.