Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

deoju posted:

I finally caught Spotlight last night. There's a scene with Rachel McAdams interviewing a victim of abuse in a bar. There's a football game on the TV, which isn't surprising, but the team is Penn State, and the shot ends with Joe Paterno the on the screen.

Nice detail! Really good movie, btw. It's not super subtle, but I like the way all the outsider's attitudes change gradually. I think someone in this thread mentioned the working class guy? All the interviewees were really well played on both sides. Especially the guy in the diner and the working class guy. Also smooth lawyer guy, you know who.

I'm being vague cause I'm too lazy to use spoiler tags so whatever, this won't gently caress up anybody anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful

Vulpes posted:

I meant more that these 'X played Y in [movie] with Z who also played Y in [another movie]' pieces of trivia are extremely boring.

You realize the point is that Will Graham uses a variation on Bruce Banner's catchphrase, right? It's not just "X played Y."

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was rewatching the Road to El Dorado and noticed a few neat things. The Stone at the beginning that depicts the gods arrival with the Miguel and Tulio-lookalikes riding the serpent, also has a handmaiden presenting the gods with a tribute, kneeling before their steed. When they first meet the native girl who 'wants in' on their con, she bumps into their horse and falls into the same posture as the handmaiden. Also throughout the movie, as Miguel gets closer to the villagers, he starts playing the part a little too much, feeding his desire to stay. In the pivitol scene with the High Priest, he feels so protective of the people he goes into full god mode on the high priest. The con has become real in his mind, while he may not be god he still feels responsible for these people who just 3 days prior he was bilking out of a lot of money. He has vowed to himself to help the people in any way he can, without expecting to leave with riches. From the amazing exchange "But, I am only speaking for the Gods!" "The Gods speak for themselves now!" Miguel is the closest thing to a god the people will get.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are we just summarizing plots now?

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Inzombiac posted:

Are we just summarizing plots now?

Goons are the worst at understanding subtlety.

And recognizing David Mitchell.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I was rewatching the Road to El Dorado and noticed a few neat things. The Stone at the beginning that depicts the gods arrival with the Miguel and Tulio-lookalikes riding the serpent, also has a handmaiden presenting the gods with a tribute, kneeling before their steed. When they first meet the native girl who 'wants in' on their con, she bumps into their horse and falls into the same posture as the handmaiden. Also throughout the movie, as Miguel gets closer to the villagers, he starts playing the part a little too much, feeding his desire to stay. In the pivitol scene with the High Priest, he feels so protective of the people he goes into full god mode on the high priest. The con has become real in his mind, while he may not be god he still feels responsible for these people who just 3 days prior he was bilking out of a lot of money. He has vowed to himself to help the people in any way he can, without expecting to leave with riches. From the amazing exchange "But, I am only speaking for the Gods!" "The Gods speak for themselves now!" Miguel is the closest thing to a god the people will get.

This really belongs in the IMM thread but since you brought up the movie...

Theres a bit when they're on one of Cortez's ships where Tulio turns to Miguel and says "Buenos dias." But he does so with the tone of someone sarcastically saying "hello." Always kinda bugged me and I don't even speak Spanish.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

BioEnchanted posted:

This is the most subtle troll in the most subtle movie moments thread.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Patattack posted:

And he happens to interact with a LOT of the same people as both a superhero and a civilian. Which is...probably not a fantastic idea for his secret identity in the long run.

Luckily for him he has a fantastic plan to keep his secret identity:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alhazred posted:

Luckily for him he has a fantastic plan to keep his secret identity:

Wasn't that after a court ruled he wasn't daredevil?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Yes. For a while, Matt Murdock could legally say that he wasn't Daredevil.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Would that normally be illegal?

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I still think the black cloth tied round his head was awesome looking and way better than the terrible suit.

Davealicious
May 8, 2007

I can't remember, does the guy who makes Daredevil's suit know that Daredevil is blind? If not, it would certainly explain why the suit has transparent lenses in the helmet.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Davealicious posted:

I can't remember, does the guy who makes Daredevil's suit know that Daredevil is blind? If not, it would certainly explain why the suit has transparent lenses in the helmet.

that guys retarded

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

DandyLion posted:

This is the most subtle troll in the most subtle movie moments thread.

I'm going to need it explained to me in detail, it's too subtle for me i don't need an explanation I get it

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Davealicious posted:

He does not. He's never seen him outside of heavy shadows.

I don't get why people crap on the suit. He's a loving red devil man who is blind and throws batons. The fact that the new one looks functional and not bright red is great.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The only thing wrong with Daredevil is not enough blind jokes and too much fighting that drags on.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
The girls boxing in the origin montage in Deadpool are wearing control collars and I wonder if it was intentional to put the Angel look alike to the left. She spends most of the time covering her mouth and being blocked by a camera to the left to distract the viewer.

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
I've posted this somewhere here before, but I think there's a joke in the movie Frozen that I alone have spotted. And it's a good one. And now I'm telling you lot so you can call me an idiot for thinking that no one else got it, or so you can say this is common knowledge.

Right, that out of the way, remember when the man (Sven? No, Kristoff) takes the younger sister Anna to meet his family, and they're trolls?

quote:

Kristoff: No! I’m…I’m gonna keep my clothes on. Look, it’s great to see you all, but where is Grand Pabbie?
Kid Troll #1: He’s napping. But look, I grew a mushroom.

That's a joke about stone. The trolls are stone. Knapping is what you do to the edge of a piece of flint to turn it into a blade or edge.

That's a pretty good joke.

Now tell me that everyone in the world knows this, and I'll go back into my hole.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
You missed the better joke where the troll kid announced he just hit puberty

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Saw Ratatouille on Netflix the other day and the letter from Linguini's Mum was in English, when I was sure it was in French last time I saw it. Found my UK DVD copy and right enough the letter and newspapers etc were all in French.

pyf subtle differences in regional releases

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

bitterandtwisted posted:

Saw Ratatouille on Netflix the other day and the letter from Linguini's Mum was in English, when I was sure it was in French last time I saw it. Found my UK DVD copy and right enough the letter and newspapers etc were all in French.

pyf subtle differences in regional releases

In non-English versions of Monsters Inc the STALK/DON'T STALK crosswalk sign is replaced with iconography only the figure has multiple heads.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I always thought it was weird that for the America release of the first Harry Potter book the publisher changed philosopher's stone to sorcerer's stone. Like kids would be all confused about mention of a philosopher's stone but sorcerer? That's just common sense!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this? posted:

I always thought it was weird that for the America release of the first Harry Potter book the publisher changed philosopher's stone to sorcerer's stone. Like kids would be all confused about mention of a philosopher's stone but sorcerer? That's just common sense!

Literally "kids won't know what a philosopher is."

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The 90s was a weird time for YA fiction, the publishers also had JK Rowling use her initials instead of her actual first name because they thought boys wouldn't buy books if they knew they were written by women. Same deal with KA Applegate.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

The 90s was a weird time for YA fiction, the publishers also had JK Rowling use her initials instead of her actual first name because they thought boys wouldn't buy books if they knew they were written by women. Same deal with KA Applegate.

That's as old as YA fiction.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's probably as old as writing itself. Another example that springs to mind from recent memory is sci-fi and fiction author Andre Norton, who wrote for a while under the pseudonym of 'Andrew North'. I guess at the time, Andre must have preferentially been a girl's name.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It's extremely common in writing, even today. My girlfriend explained the bias of publishers and consumers toward feminine names on books, to the point that she now has to submit work under an initialed pseudonym with little reference to her gender in order for publishers to consider her works. The lit industry is still run by a lot of white dudes who will pass on an "ethnic" or feminine names because perceived sales are lower than the same content with a different name attached.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It's probably as old as writing itself. Another example that springs to mind from recent memory is sci-fi and fiction author Andre Norton, who wrote for a while under the pseudonym of 'Andrew North'. I guess at the time, Andre must have preferentially been a girl's name.

nah just a black name

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Homer is actually hypothesized to have been a proud woman of color.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

scary ghost dog posted:

nah just a black name

Or a giant's name

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Daredevil is actually based on the life of Homer except they whitewashed it and made him into a white guy when in reality Homer only thought she was a white because she couldn't see herself.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Daredevil is based on Homer's life, except he's not Greek, and he's a lawyer, and he's blind with superpowers. Otherwise, spot on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus they moved him from Springfield and he doesn't have a family anymore.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Subtle moment in the Iliad(or the Aeneid or wahtever):
The Greeks pretend to give the other team a big wooden horse but it's actually a trick.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Spoiler tag that jackass!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

Spoiler tag that jackass!

You joke but I literally got yelled at once for talking about how the Spartans died at Thermopylae.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Hell, be glad we got that. It was almost Harry potter and the magic rock.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Len posted:

You joke but I literally got yelled at once for talking about how the Spartans died at Thermopylae.

My wife told me off once for spoiling the end of the movie "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Len posted:

Where did this happen and who yelled?