Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Please do NOT mention your rocket launching eco-terrorist campaign while on the plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Or that you're surrounded by these loving little biters and spitters and you need more ammo to deal with 'em. :v:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

"Yeah, we need to up oil production over here so we can get the nitrates needed to make explosives..."

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Man, I got the robot swarm up and running, and the little guys are hilarious. Plop down a big solar blueprint and off they go, a gigantic swarm of beeping and booping fanning out to do your work for you. I can't help but giggle at it.

Speaking of solar though, what am I supposed to do with all my solid fuel now? I already fire all my furnaces with it and it's still backing up several hundred tiles of belt.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Man, I got the robot swarm up and running, and the little guys are hilarious. Plop down a big solar blueprint and off they go, a gigantic swarm of beeping and booping fanning out to do your work for you. I can't help but giggle at it.

Speaking of solar though, what am I supposed to do with all my solid fuel now? I already fire all my furnaces with it and it's still backing up several hundred tiles of belt.

Store it, there's going to be times you'll still want some. You need a shitload to make rocket fuel for the endgame, for example.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Voxx posted:

Please do NOT mention your rocket launching eco-terrorist campaign while on the plane

Voxx, buddy...an eco-terrorist is someone who commits terrorist acts to save the environment. I assure you, Factorio players are doing no such thing.

jzilla
Apr 13, 2007

Slime posted:

Voxx, buddy...an eco-terrorist is someone who commits terrorist acts to save the environment. I assure you, Factorio players are doing no such thing.

Yeah I believe the term you were looking for was "Captain Planet Villain" .

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

An appropriate song comes to mind.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Slime posted:

The environment is being saved. Being saved more earth-like with every log out. :v:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Voxx posted:

The environment is being saved. Being saved more earth-like with every log out. :v:

As the saying/bumper sticker goes: Earth first, we'll strip mine the other planets later.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

jb7 posted:

Yeah I believe the term you were looking for was "Captain Planet Villain" .

Or possibly 'Saruman the Many-Colored'.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kenlon posted:

Or possibly 'Saruman the Many-Colored'.
Replacing bots with orcs would be pretty awesome.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Literally LOL if your Factorio playlist doesn't include "05 The Uruk-Hai" directly following "Raymond Scott - Powerhouse.mp3"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm fond of Dr. Steel's "Build the Robots" as a song for Factorio. It's all about a guy who is building an army of robots to take over the world but he's running out of time and funds. "The money's all mine and the funds are runnin' thin... gonna have to rob a bank again... 'Cause I'm spending every dime/and I'm spending all my time/to build the robots. Build the robots!"

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Every single time I start a new game, regardless of no. of enemies etc., my first goal is always to become independent of burners :colbert:

Dmaonk
Oct 15, 2007

Chinese Starcraft tomato ninja image

Joda posted:

Every single time I start a new game, regardless of no. of enemies etc., my first goal is always to become independent of burners :colbert:

Yeah, who wants a bunch of desert hippies in their factory?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
It's always a good feeling to see all that infrastructure you've been slowly working on finally come to fruition after dealing with one resource starvation crisis after another. RSO on so that meant my initial oil patches were good for getting oil cracking tech and a couple other blue stuff but not enough for sustained factory use. So first crisis was finding more patches to work with. Driving along I found a bunch to the east but I didn't have the infrastructure necessary to pipe it or rail it. This results in the second crisis, getting a railway system in place to reach that point. Expanded steel production, started automating rails and engines.

Started laying the backbone of the rail line. Small problem, I needed more iron production so I added more miners until the initial ore spot was completely filled. Well that means I'm going to need another iron source soonish, so the railway grew north to the first big iron deposit and I put down the initial concept of an iron plate sub-factory. Far away from any coal, however, but I had electrical smelters teched! I started in on automating creation of those plus laser turrets, solar panels and accumulators since I figured I'd need those eventually too.

And so on and so forth until I've got a small station complex dedicated to iron/copper/coal/steel (last one not yet implemented but its station is perfect for starting new trains), plate production into its first boom phase, an 20 factory oil barrel unpackaging complex that can handle way more than I've got pumping elsewhere, and finally plugged iron back into my decrepit initial factory lines when the iron deposit was down to three miners.

As an aside, Homeworld doesn't really change much of the early or mid game of Factorio unfortunately. Hitting a new tier appears to give items useful for expansion but the resources necessary for building it up to that point work best under little pollution; having it working nearby your factory means poor yields and moving it away means infrastructure costs, more clearing space from biters (if not peaceful) and eventual relocation when your factory gets more dense. And you can't remove the first Homeworld gate once you place it for some stupid reason. You don't get to build more gates until blue tech and even then it requires alien artifacts to make. I'm about the point where I could start mass production now but I could say the same thing if I was completing the rocket.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sage Grimm posted:

As an aside, Homeworld doesn't really change much of the early or mid game of Factorio unfortunately. Hitting a new tier appears to give items useful for expansion but the resources necessary for building it up to that point work best under little pollution; having it working nearby your factory means poor yields and moving it away means infrastructure costs, more clearing space from biters (if not peaceful) and eventual relocation when your factory gets more dense. And you can't remove the first Homeworld gate once you place it for some stupid reason. You don't get to build more gates until blue tech and even then it requires alien artifacts to make. I'm about the point where I could start mass production now but I could say the same thing if I was completing the rocket.

Not being able to move the initial portal is a bit of a bummer if like me you just wack it down in the middle of a mess to look at it and see what it does. If/when I go back to that save I'll revert to an earlier version before I plonked the portal down, move off a long way and build in clean air.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Todays FFF is out: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-137

They've decided to make the loader into a rapid inserter and change the way the inserter stack bonus works. Some more train information, this time the station layout. Plus some talk about 0.13 testing starting soon.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
God, 1.3 is going to be awesome when it comes to trains. Seriously can't wait for that stuff alone.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
:argh: I depend on Stack Size bonus for green-chip production, especially early on. I hope Rapid is low-tech (it's probably Blue) :argh:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Evilreaver posted:

:argh: I depend on Stack Size bonus for green-chip production, especially early on. I hope Rapid is low-tech (it's probably Blue) :argh:

I'm interested to see how you do your green chip production. I thought stack size only applied to storage-to-storage transfers.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Mr. Powers posted:

I'm interested to see how you do your green chip production. I thought stack size only applied to storage-to-storage transfers.

You think correctly!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mr. Powers posted:

I assume he's talking about the vanilla green circuit build, which is like slightly iconic by now as a super simple maximized build design everyone can agree on without jumping into their own spreadsheets.

From the semi-official guide)

Its an interesting choice limit stack size to rapid inserter. They can't be moving the first stack size bonus too far in the tech tree, right? So its just kind of another block of inserter factories and toolbar logistics to jump over which is not the end of the world.

e. if the tech isn't very deep and the extra materials aren't huge, the rapid inserter is just going to deprecate the fast inserter though, which is kind of weird but whatever.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 6, 2016

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Powers posted:

God help you if you're implying you put your copper wires for green circuits on belts.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I slightly change mine, taking chips off the side and underbelting them past the iron input, then splittering long chains of these factories together.

But Stack Size 1 makes a noticeable improvement in speed compared to without.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Wait, that'll teach me not to read dev diaries line by line

quote:

The rapid inserter will have its specific usages. As the rapid inserter currently waits until its hand is filled with items, it is not clearly better than fast inserter. When the bonus is 5, and it has 4 items in hand, it can wait minutes (or forever) for the last item, which might be undesirable especially with expensive, low throughput items. This implies that rapid inserters will eventually become stuck on mixed belts as long as some explicit mechanism to prevent it won't be there.

That slightly fucks the green circuit factory reading between the lines of how much excess materials assemblers take. Like it ends up a choice of better train stations or better green circuit factory and we're going to end up halting stack size research because green circuits are lifeblood.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Man, I know I'm supposed to just always build more of everything, but why did I make an enormously overdimensioned factory for making electric engines, batteries and accumulators? I have 10 chemical plants making batteries (in addition to the ones I have dedicated to making them for science) and ten assemblers making accumulators. In what world am I ever going to need one accumulator a second? I made sure it's extensible and reasonably modularized too just in case I want to make even more accumulators :suicide:

Electric engines I could at least use for making a robot army but I already have a few thousand and I don't even use them much.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I want a train that has guns on it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Moddington posted:

God help you if you're implying you put your copper wires for green circuits on belts.

I haven't had a factory where green circuits are the limiting factor but I tend to build line factories where everything ends up on a belt. I also haven't made it very far in the game.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Stereotype posted:

Basic Armored Flame Turret Car? :swoon:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zedprime posted:

Wait, that'll teach me not to read dev diaries line by line

That slightly fucks the green circuit factory reading between the lines of how much excess materials assemblers take. Like it ends up a choice of better train stations or better green circuit factory and we're going to end up halting stack size research because green circuits are lifeblood.

Belts can only take one item at a time, yet looking at the dev diary they work just fine (the inserter just hovers in the output position until it's deposited all of its materials). I don't think it's going to be an issue the way you're expecting.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Stereotype posted:

You could put a track that circles your base with a Death Train and have it run continuously and that would be awesome.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

"a death train" implies only one. :cmon:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Chunjee posted:

"a death train" implies only one. :cmon:

Death train attached to a FARL locomotive. Land Battleship?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

Belts can only take one item at a time, yet looking at the dev diary they work just fine (the inserter just hovers in the output position until it's deposited all of its materials). I don't think it's going to be an issue the way you're expecting.
The green circuit issue is that while its hovering in the output position, the input could be filling up its assembler slots. In my head cases I came to the conclusion that, for balanced assembler to assembler cases if your rapid inserter tech is >= assembler output slots+1, you will suffer an overall equipment effectiveness loss for the cycles where the rapid inserter is holding a remainder while the first assembler is full up. There's a similar loss where the rapid inserter is waiting for that extra +1 or more while the second assembler goes dry. Its kind of a classic case of batching is bad. You can mitigate it with some chests or belts for WIP to keep the thing smooth so it isn't insurmountable but no more neat little green circuit factories if that's the case.

I haven't worked it out cycle by cycle on paper yet, but I think the 3assembler->2assembler set up could result in some other OEE reducing cases where the wrong rapid inserter takes priority, but that's definitely edge cases compared to the first case and the WIP solution would fix any issues as well.

e. TLDR is that rapid inserter tech is fantastic for any case where the source has >= your rapid inserter tech, and likely a thorn in your side if the source has < your rapid inserter tech. Or even simpler, train good, assembler bad.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 7, 2016

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Man they need to give it a different name because I'm already mixing it up with the fast inserter. Bulk inserter? Batch?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Batch inserter would make more sense.

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
Are there any multiplayer Factorio groups? I haven't played in a while and I remember the coop being amazing with a bunch of people.

I was also thinking the smaller multiplayer/coop games that goons play could use a sort of ETC GAMES Discord, for games not popular enough to have its own discord, but creating a sort of big pool of available players for the mainly indie multiplayer games. Especially Multiwinia, that game was so fun. And AI War, Dawn of Discovery, Civilization, Paradox Games (EU4, CK2, Vic2), etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Solumin posted:

Yes, all clients must have exactly the same mods down to the version, along with exactly the same version of Factorio. Everything has to be identical, and the server doesn't send it to you.

A cool project would be an application to select and download approved mods, sharable via a "string" like the popular blueprints mod. I'm also imagining a web interface to set some map parameters and spin up a multiplayer server, but that's a little overkill.