Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
BEH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

1. A, B, C Heal everyone up to fighting strength.

2. E I dunno about giving him a teaching position - just offer him the same deal as everyone else?

3. G Same deal as we gave everyone.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
On the Cost of Healing

Mr. Nemo posted:

Our wounds are quite minor right? After a few days of not doing anything very physical we should be back to 100%, right? Or dow e have a wound that requires medical care?[/b]

The cost is for the minor wounds of the entire party. Additionally, you have a few strange conditionals that fall under the minor wounds umbrella; such as that of the every present bright light somewhere in your field of view.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
1: A, B, C
Badly wounded team members in the infirmary still demand a wage, which is wasted money if they cannot contribute due to injury. Also, sending our people to battle even with minor wounds is liable to eat into morale (not to mention that badly tended wounds could always get worse)

2: tentative E
We should discuss our options before we commit to anything. Roll accountancy!

3: H
An utility crafter could supply a lot of doodads for us, but I feel we're already overextending with our roster. Especially if we take Ragnar.

4:
Yeah, Skvababt should have told us about her claustrophobia in advance. Abigail needs to be told to not have a deathwish, but also deserves kudos for general badassitude (the girl beat up a kobold with her broken arm!). Also, props to Tommy for one-shotting like half a dozen kobolds.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1 A, B, C
2 Roll accounting, see what's types of deal we can arrange
3 Ask the team for input
4 Let the bounty guy know that we had to take cash because of immediate obligations but In general we're willing to explore alternative payment options including trade in kind, installments, etc.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. ABC
2. E, 2 gold/month: One for fighting and one for experienced training.
3. H. Keep in touch with her as a trusted merchant in case we have extra money to spend on her wares and services, but if we let her set up a lab in our headquarters then it's bound to blow up eventually. It might be worth considering again if we can afford to get her an isolated shack a safe distance away from other buildings and people.

Mr. Nemo posted:

4. We kicked rear end everyone! Next round's on me! Skavbat, you knew we were going to a mine, perhaps you could've let us know a bit earlier about your condition? Still, exceptional work before going down, and in the "interrogation". Abigail, a dead enthusiastic party member isn't much help. Next time you may get yourself killed.
These sentiments are right, but make the criticisms in private and emphasize that they're only minor complaints and we're still thrilled with their exceptional conduct. Everyone did really well, so it's hard to decide who stands out most. Maybe Tommy.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Changing a few things of my original vote:

1. A. Adding A, if it's for everyone and it includes getting rid of the mysterious bright lights.

3. Agree to pay her 1 gold a month, but she remains in her lab, she can work there. She experiments with our loot, giving us some of what she makes of it, being able to sell part of it. The whole "blowing up" our headquarter makes sense.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Questions on recruitment

Theantero posted:

We should discuss our options before we commit to anything. Roll accountancy!

RandomPauI posted:

2 Roll accounting, see what's types of deal we can arrange

Here is what you know about Ragnar:
He used to be a member of the Imperial Army and has trained with them for many years.
He has spent an indeterminate amount of time as a sellsword in the same risky business that you have just recently dived into.
In addition to the above, has a license to bounty either by himself, or as a hired on part of a crew as he sees fit.
After killing many, many Kobolds before finally being being captured, somehow survived in a make-shift prison for days until rescued by yours truly.
He was awarded [09 wealth] for the mission you both just undertook, but exchanged all or most of it for new gear from the castle armoury (you are not privy to the exact details), suggesting he intends to keep fighting.

You are an accountant, but your foray into the exciting world of Monster Hunting has just begun.
Working for the Ministry of Trade you did not encounter too many sellswords in the piles of food import export paperwork, however based on the above facts alone you can deduce that he could very well start his own company if he wanted to.
The fact that he hasn't and isn't a permanent member of someone else's already must mean that either he hasn't gotten an offer good enough or that he simply prefers to work alone.
Based on this; he would probably decline an offer of the same rate as your other recruits. He does however seems greatly pleased with you.

---

RandomPauI posted:

3 Ask the team for input

Party Thoughts:
Konnie: "What, a gnome on the payroll? As if hunting monsters wasn't dangerous enough!" & "Another fighter? More distractions means more backs turned to my dagger."
Tommy: "Dangerous, yeah. Real dangerous. But useful, all the same." & "Said it before Boss, Ragnars too good to pass up."
Kvelar: "Yer in charge of recruitment, cousin! If ye think its wise?" & "An experienced fighter no doubt, but can we afford it?"
Abigail: "Yeah!! Sounds awesome!" x2
Khami: "A gnomish house has thick walls; or none. Take care which side of them you are on." & "First ask yourself; To what end will I be used? Only then, may you consider the use of others."
Johakim: "I don't see why not? Anything to give us an edge so I don't have to stitch you up all the time." "As to the fighter; The same. My brothers and I are used to fighting but used only gets you so far."
Skvababt: "Mmhm, another woman, to make interesting toys? What a wonderful agency you are creating for yourself, Mr. Ironscript." "Hm. The fighter? He smells wrong, but wrong can exciting, can it not?"

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Well, no point dancing around the issue. Let's discuss this thing with Ragnar personally.

No other way for us to know his rates.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Theantero posted:

Well, no point dancing around the issue. Let's discuss this thing with Ragnar personally.

No other way for us to know his rates.

Yes, do this

Also I don't want a gnome in our base blowing it up every other month so I'm retracting my offer of a position to the gnome.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
no to the gnome. Let's try and recruit Ragnar though

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Juat to clarify, i want us to hire the gnome. But she remains in her home. But we give her our loot for her to make items for us. I don't knkw if this deal is beneficial for her, but it's what i want to offer.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

All possible additions to the Team are Cool and Good, but please do recognize that we are constantly strapped for cash basically after every mission. We can't keep taking everyone just because they're interesting.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Talk to the dwarf. Buy her a drink. Say that we hope to work with her in the future.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Theantero posted:

All possible additions to the Team are Cool and Good, but please do recognize that we are constantly strapped for cash basically after every mission. We can't keep taking everyone just because they're interesting.

The reason we were strapped for cash this time around is that we had to pay two salaries, since our dependents agreed to wait on their first paycheck for a month, since we were just starting out, and we had to pay two salaries in one go. I suspect it will not be as hard from now on, unless we either greatly expand our numbers or spend a whole lot on equipment.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
If you want the gnome, it basically means we have to buy a whole other building or excavate a sturdy basement. She's just too expensive right now.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Tran you realise that would basically create an extremely large cannon, with our guild hall as the cannonball.

I am unsure whether this is an argument for or against the gnome.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Secure steel hatch and blast vents, yo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Tran posted:

If you want the gnome, it basically means we have to buy a whole other building or excavate a sturdy basement. She's just too expensive right now.

Which is why I want to limit things to buying her a beer and saying we hope to work with her in the future, which is not now.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Tran posted:

Or she keeps working on the house she already has? And we take her the materials for her experiments, and we get the results at a discount, because we pay her a flat monthly rate instead of on a per job basis.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr. Nemo posted:

Or she keeps working on the house she already has? And we take her the materials for her experiments, and we get the results at a discount, because we pay her a flat monthly rate instead of on a per job basis.

Do this but also keep in mind the house canon idea because that sounds pretty baller.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

We already have an acquaintance who does just that. We also don't have to pay him for the privilege. The only reason to hire this lady is if you want someone constantly producing at cost. Part of her basic requirements for such was a private room/workshop.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Admonishment

“Oh, Mr. Ironscript. It all happened so fast. One moment I was fine, and the next, ravished!
“I tried to fight it, you must understand, but sometimes we must give in to baser instincts, must we not?"
"I will do my very best to please you in the future Mr. Ironscript.”

---

Slice of a Frog

The tunnels where dark and full of sound, minute vibrations of soil and air, a cacophony that was so, so tiresome to wade through. The scent was another thing entirely; rot and decay, wild-meat and adrenaline and all the multitudes of sweat and pheromone.
You could spend weeks down here, just reliving the history of the place through its smells, if it wasn't for the murderous Kobolds and the Light.

Oh, the light.
How excruciating it was to be in its presence; the dry air so abrasive on your skin, the blinding intensity; the sudden shift of light to dark; dark to light.

You had not considered it on the way down, but how could you? Who brings a star into the depths of a mountain? Let alone several. The darkness you had been prepared for; the tight spaces a nuisance at best; hard stone getting in the way of the hunt.
Still, the others, your... companions, yes, such wonderful people with exciting aromas! They took it slow and steady, allowing you time to adjust. Mhmm..

The way down had been so... thrilling, too. And filling. Limber, agile targets for your tool of trade; what to others would be vague outlines you could spot in utmost detail, moment to moment. Inhale to exhale.
Through the chaos of battle; as if all was still; your fingers caressing the texture of another beautiful arrow, the individual slime-ridges foretelling of its accuracy, the feather at the back another sublime stimuli.

You loosen your hold; let it fly. Soon iron fills your nasal cavity and you linger on it for a moment, lost in the trance of battle...

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I shivered.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I wonder if the light that bothered her is the same light that now affects us. Ask her if she's ever been bothered by a bright light in her vision

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

I wonder if the light that bothered her is the same light that now affects us. Ask her if she's ever been bothered by a bright light in her vision

That whole bright light stuff is just a metaphor for the Extra Bright Torches, confirmed to be such by Thaum in IRC.

Let's not creep out our allies with weird questions out of nowhere.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Theantero posted:

That whole bright light stuff is just a metaphor for the Extra Bright Torches, confirmed to be such by Thaum in IRC.

Let's not creep out our allies with weird questions out of nowhere.

What? My impression is that we're still bothered by a bright light even though we're no longer in a cave.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Bright Clarification.

There Bias Two posted:

What? My impression is that we're still bothered by a bright light even though we're no longer in a cave.

To clarify; Skvababt was indeed troubled by the Ultra-Bright Torches but the symptoms went away as she left the mine / their zone of influence. You however are still having problems. Are they related? Good question! The Truth Is Out There.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
A Religious Experience

You have never been healed before, not really. Your life up until just recently was pretty uneventful, and what minor scraps you might have gotten yourself into as a young dwarf have all mended and scarred with time.
You may have felt the touch of the the divine as part of some community event, like that of the Sockne Harvest Festival a few days ago, but nothing has really prepared you for what you experience next.

It is... remarkably direct. Wounds closing up before your very eyes; tissue re-materializing and stitching you closed. Konnie is suspended in mid-air in field of gold, in the middle of a now very cramped room at the inn.
The Dwarven merchant brought you there to conduct the ritual, which was, truth be told, more of a business deal than a ritual. There was haggling and the exchange of goods for services, small talk and a bit of social drinking.
That the drinks where holy and the services divine was just.... details, really.

Abigail received a new arm-cast, although this one is less make-shift and more covered in sacred symbols writ with golden thread and charms of mostly small coinage. As she healed, they withered, all splendour draining, turning the precious metals into dust.

The whole procedure takes many hours, and when you are finally released in the evening the first thing you do is go down to the tavern-part of the inn for a hearty meal. It is here you find Ragnar and Axi Meyer, but more on them later.

The conversation with the dwarven merchant covers many topics, but most of then mundane. Polite, even. Yet a good while into your conversation it segues into your current occupation; monster hunting. ITEC's wounds are too numerous and obvious for your small group to be anything but.
An army unit would be better equipped, or at least more standardized.

When you finish regaling the merchant about your recent victory at the silver mine, he has a pensive look on his face.

“Ye know, ever since I got here a few days ago one things been botherin me.”
“The tavern ye see. It serves Iceslime Sorbé, or at least, they used too! But all their stocks have run dry. Now, I'm a dwarf about the world you see, travelling to and fro, and to each place I’ve been I've sampled their delicacies.
And to each place I went, I spread the word and the recipes and reaped the profits therefrom. Now it wouldn't do for me ta not try this famous Sundaé, but my work keeps me bound to the city til it's time to move on.
Could ye perhaps, do me a wee favour? Find me an iceslime! Or more if able! I would much appreciate it, but understand if ye have more important matters to attend.”

---

You broach the subject of employment to Ragnar and he quiets for a moment.

“Well! That certainly is an interesting proposition. I must say the life of a mercenary has treated me well these past few years, but a stable of solid allies is hard to come by. And even harder to keep alive! Haha. Rest in peace.” He nods his head solemnly, but not for too long.
“Just Axi and me left now, and she doesn't do much fighting on her own. I suppose that company is dissolved now, with the quest complete and the founder scalie fertilizer. Such is life, but what glory we obtained! Long shall the peoples here remember it.
Don't think I forgot about your help now, Mr. Projection! Without your timely and mysterious intervention even the mighty Ragnar! might have succumbed to that mountain of a trap, that trap of a mountain!

This is risky business, Mr. Projection, as I'm sure you know. I'm no ancient, wizened master but I know my way around the battlefield. I could teach you, teach them. I can even fight for you, by your side as an equal.
But my appetite for gold is vast and my wanderlust is even stronger. Too long have couped up in these dire mountains. Come the morrow I would leave; but your group has piqued my interest.

Where do you see yourself going, Mr. Projection? What are you trying to accomplish?
And perhaps more importantly; what can you offer me?

1: What do you reply?
Write-in.

---

2: What do you do next?

You know [b4] to be the Silver Mines of Grüw.

Traversing a square takes one hour per height of row, meaning that going from D1 to D2 would take one hour, but going the same distance, F3 to F4 would take four hours in total. Climbing a row takes the longer period. Descending a row takes the shorter.

A: The Dwarven Merchant wants you to find and bring him an iceslime, or more than one if possible.
From what you can gather from other patrons of the inn, they are found only in the iciest caverns, high in the mountain. You asked the chef earlier, and he said much the same.
Coldsprings, glaciers, dark and fridgid caverns. High in the mountains, where the sun dare not spread its warmth. They are most likely found somewhere in the regions of [f3->f5 and b3->b5]

B: The Chamberlain of Grüw has posted a bounty on yetis.
[01 wealth] for two heads, with a bonus for the eradication of the local tribe. Some in your group have doubts that yetis, sentient beings who mostly keep to themselves, could really be the instigator of the recent attacks on the city and its caravans,
but the locals anecdotal evidence back the Chamberlain up. Huge humanoid beasts, shadows in the snow. Footprints more than twice the size of mans. The Yetis live somewhere between squares [b2 → b5 and c2 → c5]

C: Harst. You should go there, and quickly too! But its so far away, will you make it in time?

D: I want to go somewhere else. Where? Some destinations include:
Sockne – The small hamlet further down the mountain.
Braav – Your new home city, and where ITEC headquarters are situated
Fehgis – The notorious sister city of Braav, across the river Ennui. A ferry will bring you across. It is unknown territory.
Tukatt Hold – The Mountainhome. Your old digs. Don't expect a warm welcome, you where banished not three months ago.
Eastmarsh – Many weeks travel to the East. Another Region entirely with all that that entails, though still part of the Empire of course.

---

3: Is there something else you want to do?
Grüw is home to many shoppes, a largeish-market and a somewhat bustling silvertrade. You can find most common and even some uncommon goods here, as well as services of many kinds.
Of course, the stocks are low at the moment what with the slowing trickle of carvans and the various troubles of the area.

Equally, the quandary of your Owlbears is still unresolved, yet none present seemed to give a decent offer for them, aside from perhaps Konnie who claims he is sure to make it worth your while.

There may be other tasks what need doing, people to talk too or monsters to fight.
You can talk freely to anyone in the city, although the Chamberlain might be busy unless it's job-related. Normal question rules apply.

The above choices are just what you have run into so far. This second vote is thus more open ended; if there is something you want to do vote for it, explain how you would go about it and we shall see what can be done!

E: Write-in.

---

[ITEC Pre-Battle Summary]
Overall morale is good. The mood is triumphant.
You are unhurt. Your armour has been pierced by claw and javelin and requires basic maintenance. [You feel weird.] [You feel pressed for time.]
[There was a bright light here, but it's effects are slowly diminishing.]
Kvelar: Is unhurt. His armour has been pierced by shrapnel and requires light maintenance.
Tommy: Is unhurt.
Konnie: Is unhurt. His armour has been pierced by sharpnel and requires light maintenance.
Khami: Is unhurt. His armour requires only minute maintenance.
Abigail: Is unhurt. Her arm is in a mostly golden cast. It cannot be removed, but should dissolve within a day or two.
Johakim: Is unhurt.
Skvababt: Is unhurt.

---

[ITEC Wealth Summary]
You have [18 Wealth] to your name.
You owe [013 Wealth] in salaries and upkeep by the end of the month.
The date is currently month 2, week three, day six meaning you have one week and one day until the deadline.

[Misc. Gear Summary]
Your rations are well-stocked.
Your supplies are adequate.
Your equipment is nearly adequate, in need of minor repairs.]
Your Owlbear cubs are adequately cared for.
You may travel without penalties.

[Loot Summary]
[030] Kobold Corpses of varying sizes and shape that can be salvaged into leather for amour.
[01] Koboldian Plate Armour that is dubiously yours; fit to either You or Kvelar.
[01] Bag of red and grey ??? dust.
[01] Crate full of Ultra-Bright Torches. Also dubiously yours.
[03] Green flasks probably full of highly pressurized acid.
[01] Koboldian Crown of Leadership.
[00] Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes, although there are still [09] back at headquarters.
b][00][/b] bottles of FOOF, although there are still [05] back at headquarters.

---

Party Thoughts:
Konnie: “Yeh, more to a town than Yetis and icecream, knowwhatimean? Should lay low for a day or two, relax... get to know the people. Maybe someone else is in need of our 'generous assistance'.
Tommy: “Suppose the Yetis up next? Or should we head back to Braav and celebrate out victories?”
Kvelar: “Aye, Yetis. Still don't think they would be botherin' a city like this, they hardly keep their own company, a city of thousands they would avoid like a plague.”
Abigail: “Oh man! That was intense! Where shall we go next?! That slime thing the Quackinte talked about sounds delicious! Lets go find it!”
Khami: “It is said an army marches on its stomach. But in truth; they would die for dessert.”
Johakim: “Most'll reckon a slime'd should be easy enough to pick up an transport, but they'd be surprised what right hazards they can be if yer not prepared!
Look ta maybe get a cage or a bucket or somethin, dependin on the type of course. Never ran into an iceslime before, I suppose they're cold? Metal then, to keep it cool.”
Skvababt: “Oh, Mr. Ironscript. I can tell you already know what I want.”

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Forgot about this,

Ask the dwarf why he is tra elling alone, and with such precious cargo! How does he keep safe? Where is he from, where is he going to next?

As to Ragnar, I see us going to wherever adventure calls, roaming the cities and taking different missions. We can offer you the thrill of adventure, of not knowing where you'll be tomorrow, but also knowing that a warm bed is waiting for you when the job is done. (And money)

Why is the vision city not an option? Are we already too late for that?

I'd vote for us to go there.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

As the other dwarf said. Toil gave us a job, best be on about it. Do tell the others why we've abruptly decided to leave though.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

Why is the vision city not an option? Are we already too late for that?

It was struck through from the very start I believe. I'd assume to emphasize it being a ~visions quest~

Recall, our allies are not our slaves. They are here because they expect to get paid. They will probably look at us super weird if we just randomly tell them 'Hey let's go to Harsh!'. Even weirder if we tell them 'I saw a vision that told me to do it!'.

Actually, taking Ragnar might give us a good excuse. He said he had wanderlust and wants to leave. If we take him, we could just shrug and say 'Why not Harsh? It's fairly close by.'

On the other hand, Harsh has animated constructs or somesuch standing against us. I'm a bit leery of our weaponry when pitted against brass golems or whatnot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I think 'A god told me to do it' is a reasonable thing to say in this world.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

1. God's work. Earning the favor of god would be great for anyone's retirement.
2. Toil quest

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1) God quest
2) God quest
3) Be nice to the dwarf in case we're ever in a position to hire her, she is friends with the mercenary after all.
Hug our owl bears.
Look at our not girlfriend long enough to get caught by her, then blush.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Theantero posted:

It was struck through from the very start I believe. I'd assume to emphasize it being a ~visions quest~

Recall, our allies are not our slaves. They are here because they expect to get paid. They will probably look at us super weird if we just randomly tell them 'Hey let's go to Harsh!'. Even weirder if we tell them 'I saw a vision that told me to do it!'.

Actually, taking Ragnar might give us a good excuse. He said he had wanderlust and wants to leave. If we take him, we could just shrug and say 'Why not Harsh? It's fairly close by.'

On the other hand, Harsh has animated constructs or somesuch standing against us. I'm a bit leery of our weaponry when pitted against brass golems or whatnot.

We literally just witnessed a miracle healing and no one batted an eye. I think "Toil gave me a mission after restoring his altar" won't sound that weird.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
1. God thing
2. God thing

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

+1 to do the god things.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Okay, if you guys really want to go to Harst, we should ask around first.

What do people know of the factories of Harst, what kind of constructs work there? How do you even fight a construct? Like, if they are metal golems we are pretty ill-equipped to handle them. I'd assume bludgeons were the way to go, but Tommy only has a wooden club liable to break against metal frames.

It might be a God-Quest, but no reason to go on a suicide run we are more than likely to fail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Of Gods and their Work

Mr. Nemo posted:

Forgot about this,

Ask the dwarf why he is travelling alone, and with such precious cargo! How does he keep safe? Where is he from, where is he going to next?

"Truth be told I am no humble merchant. Well, I am, in as much as every other member of my order. I hail from the regional capital of Karg; yet for Quackeen I have traded all my life and it is those riches I carry with me to this day.
I am a questing knight of the faith, testing my mettle that I might one day be called Paladin. To this place I followed my visions, where they take me next I have yet to find out."

At this revelation there is a murmur of awe from the rest of the party. Clergy are dime a dozen in Rim, as are soldiers, but only the truly dedicated and even more truly skilled can ever hope to climb the ladder of knighthood.

---

Mr. Nemo posted:

We literally just witnessed a miracle healing and no one batted an eye. I think "Toil gave me a mission after restoring his altar" won't sound that weird.

Correct. Gods intervene daily in peoples lives, albeit seldom with the the full splendour of their Divine Avatar. Claiming Toil spoke with you won't make you sound crazy unless what comes after that is gibberish; for instance claiming that he gave you a day off.

---

Theantero posted:

Okay, if you guys really want to go to Harst, we should ask around first.

What do people know of the factories of Harst, what kind of constructs work there? How do you even fight a construct? Like, if they are metal golems we are pretty ill-equipped to handle them. I'd assume bludgeons were the way to go, but Tommy only has a wooden club liable to break against metal frames.

It might be a God-Quest, but no reason to go on a suicide run we are more than likely to fail.

The place best to ask would be the local chapel of Toil, so that is where you asked when you where there earlier! The foreman/priest tells you the following:

Automata are rare, expensive and powerful. Only the largest and most important of factories will ever see the presence of them.
They are holy machines of hard metal, blessed by Toil itself to perform jobs deemed too dangerous for common labourers, even with the Empires normally lax attitude towards work safety.
Harst is home to the largest Ironworks in the region, so the Automata there would presumably be constructed to deal with temperatures well over a thousand degrees Celsius.

As for how to fight them; you decide against asking the priest how to best destroy some of his faiths most sacred artifacts.