Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

I just switched over to experimental and I'm liking getting fragments from wrecks better than pixel hunting over massive areas only to have nearly everything be for stuff you've already got the blueprint for.

I feel like my laser cutter isn't working the way it should, though. The cuttable panels are those slightly shiny ones with the red dots on one side, right? My cutter makes noises but doesn't do anything or drain its battery when I use it.

Cuttable doors are the ones that are blackened and dented and have a prompt come up when you mouse over them. Intact doors with a red light stay shut. Doors with a green light can be opened by hand unless they're blocked off by debris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe the laser cutter gives you a prompt when you can use it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

7c Nickel posted:

Cuttable doors are the ones that are blackened and dented and have a prompt come up when you mouse over them. Intact doors with a red light stay shut. Doors with a green light can be opened by hand unless they're blocked off by debris.

Yeah, after poking around a bit more I found the ones that can be cut, apparently I was just going to all the wrecks that didn't seem to have any.

On the other hand, no fragments spawned for me in the Dunes, Blood Kelp, or Sea Treader's Path wrecks, so no Cyclops on that run.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Got an email this morning, I guess they pushed the new build?

Hi everyone!

A new Subnautica update is available on Steam. The Oculus Update brings support for Oculus Rift SDK 1.3, which is a nerdy way of saying: You can play Subnautica on your Oculus Rift right now! If you already own Subnautica on Steam, it is not necessary to buy again on Oculus Home. You can use your Steam copy to play with the Oculus Rift.

Learn more about the Oculus Update
Not all the fun is reserved for Oculus users. Everyone gets all these new features :
You can now sit in chairs! We know how desperately you've wanted this so we've working hard to deliver
Base oxygen production now requires power
Fragments now spawn inside wrecked chunks of the Aurora
Lots of creatures have had an animation overhaul
There's a fancy new 3D main menu

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Efexeye posted:

Base oxygen production now requires power

This is going to mess with a lot of people, but I suppose that at least now there's a reason to build bioreactors.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

There really needs to be a default power option for bases, even if it's just crafting batteries and cramming them into a slot in the wall for a few minutes of power.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Paracelsus posted:

This is going to mess with a lot of people, but I suppose that at least now there's a reason to build bioreactors.

Not even quite. The starter safe shallows now have solar panel fragments all over, still as the boxes. On the other hand, the door cutting mechanic is completely broken, cut two 'open' but the chunk is lodged in the doorway and you can't enter the room. Also the safe shallows wreck that is supposed to contain the Seamoth fragments doesn't contain anything except desk and chair stuff. Tried going to their forums and it's over capacity...

Look at this nonsense...

Edit: Although the lack of a Seamoth is giving me a new appreciation for the Seaglide. I never knew you could harvest resources while still on it, and I have so many batteries that its power usage is a non issue.

Anyone find Seamoth fragments?

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 5, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

I build bioreactors anyway! poo poo is cheap and easy to refill, supplement with solar and you need to drop a mushroom and some kelp in like every 4 hours.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Efexeye posted:

I build bioreactors anyway! poo poo is cheap and easy to refill, supplement with solar and you need to drop a mushroom and some kelp in like every 4 hours.

Ugh, Kelp is just so huge though.

Looks like the new Bioreactor is going to be internal and take up the middle section of a room. I hope it either: has a much larger capacity for shoving stuff inside, because I don't actually want to have to refuel something every 4 hours, or even better I hope it becomes a bit less picky and allows my to shove basically everything I don't want inside like bad fish or coral I didn't mean to collect or all these useless seeds. Then I can just use the thing as a waste disposal unit with a side effect of generating power.

Also the mushroom requirement is dumb, took me forever to find the mushroom forests first time I played so the bioreactor I built was useless to me!

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

just put kelp in your aquarium plant slot and you can just grab three from there any time you need them

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Efexeye posted:

just put kelp in your aquarium plant slot and you can just grab three from there any time you need them
That's less viable when the base is a quick tube down at the bottom of the grand reef that exists purely for oxygen purposes.

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Ambaire posted:

Edit: Although the lack of a Seamoth is giving me a new appreciation for the Seaglide. I never knew you could harvest resources while still on it, and I have so many batteries that its power usage is a non issue.

Seaglide is almost too good - four tanks and a few batteries (and an air bladder for emergencies) and there doesn't seem to be any limit to where I can go. Toyed with turning on the NITROGEN cheat just to force some limit on being able to drag myself anywhere with that thing.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

That's less viable when the base is a quick tube down at the bottom of the grand reef that exists purely for oxygen purposes.

It takes a bit more prep, but you can set up a large aquarium and fill it with brain coral. Actually you could just setup an external planter and that would only take 2 titanium I think.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ambaire posted:

Look at this nonsense...

This is happening to me as well.

quote:

They're now chunks of the Seamoth model, and I've found a couple in the Grassy Plateaus. You need 5.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I tried out a few minutes of the new build in VR. Was pretty good. Asynchronous time warp really saves the day. Looking around was smooth, using the joystick to rotate reminded me that it was really running at a terrible frame rate. The optimization pass can't come soon enough.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So I got this game and encountered my first reaper and loving gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress loving gently caress gently caress

So yeah, now I'm playing creative mode and building a nice underwater base in the safe shallows and never ever leaving there again.

10/10 Game of the year.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Xanderkish posted:

So I got this game and encountered my first reaper and loving gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress loving gently caress gently caress

So yeah, now I'm playing creative mode and building a nice underwater base in the safe shallows and never ever leaving there again.

10/10 Game of the year.

This never gets old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flOWPMU5VTs&t=1094s

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
New patch today. Lots of machinery updates. The cyclops gets an exterior camera, thermal reactors have a proper model and bio and nuclear reactors are officially in or something.

However, the biggest news is this:

quote:

Creatures will now respawn after being killed by another creature or the player. This feature was in high demand by you, the players! Thank you for your continued feedback to support the development of Subnautica.

Literally patch of the year with that change.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Can I recharge cyclops yet? :v:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
No. You're also not the only one waiting for that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Reapers Yelling always sounds further away than it actually is. I hate them. I hate them so much.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
Patch trip report: I rode a flying fish. Game rules.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
They still haven't fixed the seamoth, though. It used to be hyper agile, then they hosed it up with some serious mouse lag where the mouse moves the view and the seamoth catches up instead of the mouse moving the seamoth directly.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Night10194 posted:

Reapers Yelling always sounds further away than it actually is. I hate them. I hate them so much.

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for dealing with Reapers. Any suggestions? I'm thinking sticking to crevasses and keeping low to the ground away from open water so they have less room to navigate. Any other ideas?

e: also strategy includes staying inside my sea base loaded up with aquariums and farms and watching the sun rise and fall forever and never going outside.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xanderkish posted:

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for dealing with Reapers.

My general strategy is to swim until I hear one of them screaming and then to decide that place belongs to the Reaper and I should be somewhere else.

I am still upset one of them moved into my happy mushroom kingdom. I thought that biome was safe.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xanderkish posted:

I'm trying to figure out a strategy for dealing with Reapers. Any suggestions? I'm thinking sticking to crevasses and keeping low to the ground away from open water so they have less room to navigate. Any other ideas?

e: also strategy includes staying inside my sea base loaded up with aquariums and farms and watching the sun rise and fall forever and never going outside.

Minimize time spent in reaper areas unless you're in the cyclops, and follow the terrain closely to minimize the angles they can approach you from.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Paracelsus posted:

Minimize time spent in reaper areas unless you're in the cyclops, and follow the terrain closely to minimize the angles they can approach you from.

How dangerous is the Reaper to the Cyclops? I know it can't directly damage it so far but I also know a Reaper got a hold of my seamoth and pushed it down below the terrain until it was destroyed by the depth.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

How dangerous is the Reaper to the Cyclops? I know it can't directly damage it so far but I also know a Reaper got a hold of my seamoth and pushed it down below the terrain until it was destroyed by the depth.

Right now I don't think it can do anything. It might be able to accidentally knock you into the terrain which COULD open some holes, but actually attacking it is coming later as far as I know.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Xanderkish posted:

A fully charged seamoth stun will make one let go, and two will apparently make it stop trying to eat you.

I have not tried this for obvious reasons. My approach is to stay as far away as possible and if I need to go to the big volcano island, I swim as fast as I can across the surface and try to pretend I can't hear it.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing the game in VR and have never played the game before. I saw my first Reaper while testing out my seamoth for the first time and immediately turned 180 and ran away full speed into a rock and exploded.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm playing in VR as well on my VIVE using reVIVE now (played some on the DK2 previously)

The latest patch seems to have wrecked my performance, I'm getting stuttering all over the place, where before there was an occasional hitch that was unfortunate but otherwise it was pretty smooth.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

That's odd I feel like this patch has been the best performance improvement yet, but I'm not using VR.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He's using a beta VR implementation with an unsupported headset, so performance is probably going to be lacking.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah I was about to say, ReVIVE just updated but Oculus Home also just updated so the whole thing is constantly in flux and generally a mess.

Subnautica is pretty cool though, one of the better VR experiences, so I hope it gets sorted out one way or another.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

New update!

Battery and Power Cell charging stations. Also the sea treader is in and produces resource rocks and poops that work in bioreactors. I'm super stoked about the charging stations since hopefully that'll end the never-ending cycle of battery/cell production.

They also made gas torpedoes produced using gasopod fart orbs which I'm hoping will be somewhat lethal.

They also added beds which is cool. I've always set up a room with a small aquarium of fish, potted non-edible plants, a desk and chair, bench etc. Now a bed in there too will make it a proper bedroom. It will no longer seem like you're playing and insomniac that never closes his eyes ever like some kind of freak.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Honky Dong Country posted:

They also made gas torpedoes produced using gasopod fart orbs which I'm hoping will be somewhat lethal.

If I can't use them to kill a Reaper by firing wildly in their general direction while crying, I'm not interested.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Xanderkish posted:

If I can't use them to kill a Reaper by firing wildly in their general direction while crying, I'm not interested.

Dude my reaper philosophy is if the reaper wants it, he can have it. Like I posted earlier in the thread one time I got out of my moth and swam around in tight spaces figuring it'd leave my moth alone. Instead if grabbed my empty seamoth and slammed it into the floor like it was spiking a football, breaking it into pieces, and swam off casually like "lol get hosed bitch."

After that, reapers can have whatever they want in my book.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
My Reaper strategy in my last game was to establish a network of scanner rooms which I sent to slooowly creep along the sea floor looking for any possible Reapers, then build another scanner room at the maximum range of my scanners, and repeat the process, making sure to keep a wide berth the moment I find a Reaper. It used up a lot of materials, but by God, it kept me secure.

Also, there's nothing else like bringing a scanner to right in front of a Reaper and watch it placidly ignore you.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Honky Dong Country posted:

New update!

Battery and Power Cell charging stations. Also the sea treader is in and produces resource rocks and poops that work in bioreactors. I'm super stoked about the charging stations since hopefully that'll end the never-ending cycle of battery/cell production.

They also added beds which is cool. I've always set up a room with a small aquarium of fish, potted non-edible plants, a desk and chair, bench etc. Now a bed in there too will make it a proper bedroom. It will no longer seem like you're playing and insomniac that never closes his eyes ever like some kind of freak.

This is great. Constant battery/cell production was the most annoying thing (to where I just started console commanding them in after awhile),

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Playing this for the first time in a while, and noticed something pretty cool:

When did eclipses become a thing?

Enjoying all the other new stuff too. The water and the lighting effects associated with it look fantastic now.