Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Cooling I got, double fan big copper heatsink. That's not much of a loss either, good to note. I'm assuming once the X99's take over more as well, the Z boards will drop in price further, so a future OC upgrade would be very reasonable.
The X99 and Z-series boards are aimed at entirely different markets, though. They literally have different sockets; don't expect the smattering of new X99 boards that will release with Broadwell-E to do anything to the Z-series board's prices. Basically you shouldn't expect a Z-series upgrade to be "cheap" at pretty much any point in time. Maybe $100-$120 new, but that's not worth the 5-10% performance gain you'd get.

Wasn't there something about certain H97 boards being able to do limited overclocking? Can't really remember if that's still A Thing or not.

Either way, if your option is a drop-in 4790k replacement, a new mobo/RAM/Skylake, or a new mobo/RAM/5820k, I'd vote the 4790 unless you have some real compelling reason to pick otherwise. Sure, you won't get the maxxx out of your 4790k on a H97 board, but at 1/2 the price of the other options it's a much better deal. That said, why bother with the 4790k at all instead of a plain 4790?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Col.Kiwi posted:

There are actually a significant handful of LGA1151 boards on the market that officially support full voltage DDR3, rather than DDR3L. As far as I know Intel has never officially said Skylakes memory controller can handle this so maybe it's risky to do it, I don't know. But definitely the motherboard manufacturers are putting 1.5v and even 1.65v DDR3 on their lists of supported memory modules and are putting "DDR3/DDR3L" on their motherboard specs.

Yeah, no, the memory controller is on the processor die in Skylake and Intel actually has said you shouldn't run it at 1.5V.

quote:

When Skylake was released, Intel announced the move to the new DDR4 standard while maintaining limited support for DDR3. Initially, evidence indicated that Skylake could support only DDR3L, but since that time, motherboard OEMs have listed support for non-DDR3L RAM, which raised obvious questions. After speaking with Intel about the issue, we finally know the truth about what RAM Intel's integrated memory controller (IMC) can support.

Skylake's IMC officially supports only DDR3L with a voltage of 1.35, and it officially supports DDR4 at 1.2 V. This might seem a little counter-intuitive to some users, as the entire reason for continuing DDR3 support is to make it cheaper and easier for customers to upgrade to the new Skylake platform, but these voltages are likely used to avoid damaging the IMC. Although it would be nice to use any DDR3 from 1.35 V - 1.65 V, running at these higher voltages could burn out the IMC and kill the processor over time.

If this is the case, though, then why do OEMs such as Gigabyte support DDR3 at 1.5 V on some of their motherboards? And why do others such as Asus and ASRock support DDR3 at 1.65 V? RAM running at these voltages might be capable of operating on the motherboard without causing damage to the board itself, but again, over time it will likely damage the CPU. So if you don't have DDR3L on hand, you are probably better off to go ahead and spring for the more expensive DDR4.

Another interesting point that we learned from Intel about the IMC is that it only supports clock speeds up to 4,133 MHz. Although DDR4 is still relatively new, and most RAM kits currently run between 2,133 and 3,000 MHz, some RAM kits are already reaching beyond 4,233 MHz.

RAM kits running at clock speeds above 4,133 MHz will likely encounter more errors than other DDR4, and it is probably best to limit yourself to memory running below this clock speed for the time being. DDR4 at higher clock speeds will become more useful in the future as Intel refines its IMC to support faster RAM, but that isn't likely to happen until a Skylake refresh or the release of Cannonlake.

Long story short, if you are looking to buy a Skylake platform, make sure you double check the RAM you are buying to avoid having problems down the line. Even if it works initially on your system, there is no guarantee that under stress the IMC won't break down and knock your system out of commission.
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/skylake-memory-support,30185.html

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

Wasn't there something about certain H97 boards being able to do limited overclocking? Can't really remember if that's still A Thing or not.

Maybe G3258s, I know they would OC on H81s.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Intel just announced some 65W Skylake + Crystal Well chips:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10281/intel-adds-crystal-well-skylake-processors-65w-edram

...but not the socketed kind. Perhaps one day y'all will get a 5775C successor, but not today.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

japtor posted:

Intel just announced some 65W Skylake + Crystal Well chips:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10281/intel-adds-crystal-well-skylake-processors-65w-edram

...but not the socketed kind. Perhaps one day y'all will get a 5775C successor, but not today.

I'd buy this if they there was Thunderbolt 3 compatibility but we have to wait for Kaby Lake for that, right?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

KingEup posted:

I'd buy this if they there was Thunderbolt 3 compatibility but we have to wait for Kaby Lake for that, right?
I thought they said something like they'll integrate if there's demand for it (or something similarly vague and noncommittal), but I guess there was this slide a few months ago saying support for it:

https://benchlife.info/intel-kaby-lake-will-use-200-series-pch-11162015/

Says support for Optane there too so I don't know if it just means "it works" (like with Alpine Ridge as a separate controller right now) and is there just as an extra bullet point, or if there's some actual integration into the standard chip/chipset coming. I thought I saw somewhere USB 3.1 was getting integrated but it's not on those slides at least.

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral
I need a recommendation for a CPU cooler. I'm going to be running a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P with an i7-5820k; my case does not have room for a radiator bigger than 120mm & replacing the case is not an option right now. I'd prefer an air cooler, but with 140w TDP, is there any air cooled setup possible that'd cover that much heat, let alone what this thing'll put out if I start to get into overclocking? What would you guys use with this setup?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm happy with my Notcua D15 with my 5820K. It's way quieter than the Corsair H100 and H110 I've tried and is good for 4.3Ghz below 80C or 4.7Ghz if I was comfortable getting up to 90C. That testing was done with the newest prime95 running over 24 hours with AVX2 and FMA instructions which I found was able to generate the most heat. Processor variation YMMV and all.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist

craig588 posted:

I'm happy with my Notcua D15 with my 5820K. It's way quieter than the Corsair H100 and H110 I've tried and is good for 4.3Ghz below 80C or 4.7Ghz if I was comfortable getting up to 90C. That testing was done with the newest prime95 running over 24 hours with AVX2 and FMA instructions which I found was able to generate the most heat. Processor variation YMMV and all.

While I love how my D14 cools silently, I'm going to guess that the 140mm fans on the Noctua, combined with its large really big immense tower style is not going to fit in the described case.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Annorax posted:

I need a recommendation for a CPU cooler. I'm going to be running a Gigabyte GA-X99-UD3P with an i7-5820k; my case does not have room for a radiator bigger than 120mm & replacing the case is not an option right now. I'd prefer an air cooler, but with 140w TDP, is there any air cooled setup possible that'd cover that much heat, let alone what this thing'll put out if I start to get into overclocking? What would you guys use with this setup?

What case do you have? It would be easier to figure out what will fit with an idea of how much clearance you have above the CPU. Also, you could go for a Corsair H80i GT/V2, it has exceptional cooling performance for a 120mm AIO, but it does this via dual high speed fans and a very thick, dense radiator so it will get loud at full load.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Annorax posted:

Plenty of air coolers can do 140 watt TDP. Overclocking might be a challenge if you have limited cooler height available.

example : http://noctua.at/en/tdp-guide

According to that guide you can cool 140 watt with a cooler that is only 65mm high (given sufficient case airflow).
I have a NH-U12DX i4 with a push pull config on my 140 watt Xeon and it is pretty quiet.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, no, the memory controller is on the processor die in Skylake and Intel actually has said you shouldn't run it at 1.5V.

You may have misread my post. I said specifically that I don't believe Intel specs allow for any of this and I suggested motherboard manufacturers may be ignoring intel specs. It's still a fact that these boards are on store shelves and people are buying them having no idea of any of that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

Plenty of air coolers can do 140 watt TDP. Overclocking might be a challenge if you have limited cooler height available.

example : http://noctua.at/en/tdp-guide

According to that guide you can cool 140 watt with a cooler that is only 65mm high (given sufficient case airflow).
I have a NH-U12DX i4 with a push pull config on my 140 watt Xeon and it is pretty quiet.
I do not even for a moment believe than a parallel-mounted 65mm cooler could keep up with a 140W anything, let alone a system that might actually have a dGPU in it, and the actual product description suggests that the chart is a big fat lie: "should be used with care on CPUs with more than 84W TDP" At close to double that, I'd say you'd be asking for trouble.

My personal vote would be something like the H80i or other higher-end AIO (bigger is better, obviously), possibly connected to a fan controller (since I don't remember the GA-X99-UD3P having a particularly full featured onboard control setup) if your case does not allow for one of the larger (~160mm) air blower heatsinks. If it does, then any of the Noctua ones are pretty solid. They're a little more expensive than some others, but they cool well and they come with rather quiet fans (as well as some nifty low-RPM adapters), so if noise is a concern they're probably worth the cost.

Personally I modded my case a wee bit to put mounting holes where I needed them so I could mash a H110 on. Even though it's blowing out through a space meant for 120mm radiators, it works quite well, as I can OC to 4.5 and stay under 75C at max load with the fans only mildly audible, and effectively silent under normal daily/gaming/anything other than benchmarking use.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Durinia posted:

While I love how my D14 cools silently, I'm going to guess that the 140mm fans on the Noctua, combined with its large really big immense tower style is not going to fit in the described case.

Unfortunately this guy did not really describe his case, other than the fact he can't mount 140mm or 240mm radiators. A good 120mm AIO would probably be his best bet, especially since we don't know his clearance height for an air cooler,

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

DrDork posted:

I do not even for a moment believe than a parallel-mounted 65mm cooler could keep up with a 140W anything, let alone a system that might actually have a dGPU in it, and the actual product description suggests that the chart is a big fat lie: "should be used with care on CPUs with more than 84W TDP" At close to double that, I'd say you'd be asking for trouble.

Why not? There are plenty of 2u coolers that can do 160 watt. 140 for 65mm doesn't seem that much of a stretch. It is just not going to be a very pleasant box to sit next to.
E: 160 watt in 1.5 u (44mm)

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

What case do you have? It would be easier to figure out what will fit with an idea of how much clearance you have above the CPU. Also, you could go for a Corsair H80i GT/V2, it has exceptional cooling performance for a 120mm AIO, but it does this via dual high speed fans and a very thick, dense radiator so it will get loud at full load.

http://www.apevia.com/productsInfo.asp?KEY=X-TRP-GN

I suppose I could go with a 240mm radiator mounted in place of the two 120mm fans that come on top of the case. I didn't consider that until I got a good look at the specs again.

I'm planning at least some overclocking on this... the stock speed seems rather anemic & with the right cooler, we could do much better.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

NihilismNow posted:

Why not? There are plenty of 2u coolers that can do 160 watt. 140 for 65mm doesn't seem that much of a stretch. It is just not going to be a very pleasant box to sit next to.
E: 160 watt in 1.5 u (44mm)
Just because a manufacture slaps "supported!" on the side of the box does not make it a good idea. A 2cm thick heatsink "supports" a 160W Xeon in the sense that "it won't let it thermally damage itself" but only because the chip is smart enough to throttle the gently caress out of itself instead of melting if it ever needed to clock up past idle. Something that small might be viable for a lower-TDP Xeon, like maybe one of the 80W E3's, that is stuck on file server/light VM duty and will probably never run full-tilt. But a 5820k, that you know he's going to want to overclock? Let's be real.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Annorax posted:

I suppose I could go with a 240mm radiator mounted in place of the two 120mm fans that come on top of the case. I didn't consider that until I got a good look at the specs again.
This is a solid plan. Also maybe take a ruler and measure out how much internal space you actually have available up there--if it'll fit and it's just a matter of drilling the mounting holes, the 280mm radiator AIOs typically perform better at lower volume.

If you took the side-panel fan off, it looks like you could probably make one of the larger Nocturas fit, as well.

Any of these would be a better option than a H80 or other 120mm AIO, which while it'll work, will absolutely limit your ability to overclock if you plan on needing to run most/all of the cores maxed out for any amount of time (video encoding being an easy example). You could probably still get away with it for gaming, though.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

I run a similar setup at work, 5820k cooled by a 240mm AIO. A Corsair H105 I believe. Mounts the whole thing through the fan screws. Clocked to 4.4GHz at no more than 60-65c. Some people with similar setups push 4.7GHz at 80-90c, so 4.4 feels conservative.

Just be careful not to spill anything on your computer with the radiator installed on top.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

eggyolk posted:

Just be careful not to spill anything on your computer with the radiator installed on top.
Not like the stock fans provide any greater protection. :)

But yeah, the 5820k will put out a TON of heat for every 0.1 you overclock it by. It's manageable, but a good bit more than most people coming from a 2500k or 4970k are used to. Also when overclocking, give consideration to not jumping right to 1.35v core, as a lot of chips don't actually need that much, and it'll help drop your temps a bit if you can back it off even to just 1.30v.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD puts 500w through the 120mm cooler on a 295x2, so I think the radiator itself can dissipate more heat than people give it credit for. I think CPU plates may be less efficient at picking up the heat, but the radiator size doesn't help that, and Haswell-E is a huge die anyway.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD puts 500w through the 120mm cooler on a 295x2, so I think the radiator itself can dissipate more heat than people give it credit for.
Quite possible, but ultimately unimportant, as most AIO manufacturers use virtually identical cold plates and pumps in most/all their models (or at least within lines), so you get the same GPM flow out of the pump on a 120, 240, or 280mm setup. So the only effective way to increase cooling ability with fixed flow like that is to either expand the cooling surface or up the fan power. Both work: one adds a little more cost, and the other a lot more noise.

I will say that, having tried it personally, the H55 I played with could barely keep up with the 5820k at stock, nevermind overclocked. The H110 has enough dissipation ability that I've got it overclocked to 4.5 and the fans don't go past 30-40% (effectively silent) unless I'm benchmarking. There's no replacement for displacement.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Annorax posted:

http://www.apevia.com/productsInfo.asp?KEY=X-TRP-GN

I'm planning at least some overclocking on this... the stock speed seems rather anemic & with the right cooler, we could do much better.

Hmmm, just be careful to take the thickness of the radiator and fans(55mm or so) into account and how that might interfere with anything sticking out from your motherboard, looking at the case it seems that there is not a lot of clearance above where the motherboard mounts. The best way to mount the rad & fans in this situation would be to mount the fans above with the rad under them, the fans pulling air through the rad, this way the mounting holes will not be an issue and dust will collect on the bottom of the rad which makes cleaning it off much easier.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

DrDork posted:

Just because a manufacture slaps "supported!" on the side of the box does not make it a good idea. A 2cm thick heatsink "supports" a 160W Xeon in the sense that "it won't let it thermally damage itself" but only because the chip is smart enough to throttle the gently caress out of itself instead of melting if it ever needed to clock up past idle. Something that small might be viable for a lower-TDP Xeon, like maybe one of the 80W E3's, that is stuck on file server/light VM duty and will probably never run full-tilt. But a 5820k, that you know he's going to want to overclock? Let's be real.

Eh, you'd be surprised what you can do with high airflow. I have a 1U server at work with two E5-2697 v3s in it - that's a 14-core, 145W Haswell-E processor - and this is a fully supported configuration, shipped from the manufacturer like that, with no indication that I'm seeing that it's throttling. You probably don't want to deal with the noise from airflow that high at home though.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 4, 2016

Annorax
Oct 20, 2008

Wistful Admiral

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, just be careful to take the thickness of the radiator and fans(55mm or so) into account and how that might interfere with anything sticking out from your motherboard, looking at the case it seems that there is not a lot of clearance above where the motherboard mounts. The best way to mount the rad & fans in this situation would be to mount the fans above with the rad under them, the fans pulling air through the rad, this way the mounting holes will not be an issue and dust will collect on the bottom of the rad which makes cleaning it off much easier.

Last question for now: I have a Corsair H80i v2 not currently in use. Will that be able to handle this CPU's heat at stock clock speeds? I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with that/no OC until I have the cash together to buy a better 240 or 280mm rad cooler.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Annorax posted:

Last question for now: I have a Corsair H80i v2 not currently in use. Will that be able to handle this CPU's heat at stock clock speeds? I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with that/no OC until I have the cash together to buy a better 240 or 280mm rad cooler.

The H80i v2 should be able to handle it at stock easily, even OCed it should not have much of a problem, the H80i v2 is a real beast for a 120mm AIO and can compete with some of the 240mm units.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Eletriarnation posted:

Eh, you'd be surprised what you can do with high airflow. I have a 1U server at work with two E5-2697 v3s in it - that's a 14-core, 145W Haswell-E processor - and this is a fully supported configuration, shipped from the manufacturer like that, with no indication that I'm seeing that it's throttling. You probably don't want to deal with the noise from airflow that high at home though.
Yeah, but those are also specially designed systems where the board layout, heatsink, fans, and chassis are all explicitly designed to work together to provide the proper ducting and airflow to make it all work. If you ripped the heatsink out of that 1U setup and just dropped it onto a normal ATX board and case, it would not fare well at all.

Annorax posted:

Yes, it'll be fine. You can probably try some overclocking, too--just be mindful of the temps and try to keep them <80C under full load.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DrDork posted:

Yeah, but those are also specially designed systems where the board layout, heatsink, fans, and chassis are all explicitly designed to work together to provide the proper ducting and airflow to make it all work. If you ripped the heatsink out of that 1U setup and just dropped it onto a normal ATX board and case, it would not fare well at all.

True, but if you provide enough airflow for the case so that the temperature inside doesn't rise too much, then the 4000 RPM fan on the Dynatron will be able to keep the CPU cooled. Certainly not an ideal solution.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Just a reminder, as we move on into the warmer and often more humid months, don't forget to turn on your dehumidifiers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQfFVT4tT8

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

VulgarandStupid posted:

Just a reminder, as we move on into the warmer and often more humid months, don't forget to turn on your dehumidifiers.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

Also is that how you pronounce it? I always thought the A and S were pronounced separately since they're both capitalized.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just pronounce it similarly to "anus".

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

RH goes down as temps go up so just turn off all the power management features and leave that sucker on 24/7.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

VulgarandStupid posted:

OMG OMG OMG CLEON WANG!!! :neckbeard: HE'S SO DREAMY!

Also, Doom House 2016?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can't tell if this is serious or not.
That feature is listed in ASRock UEFI BIOSes. First thing I made sure isn't enabled.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Is that what by non tech savvy buddies computer is doing? It annoys the crap out of him, and I couldn't find anything software wise to fix it. Thanks maybe?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

That feature is listed in ASRock UEFI BIOSes. First thing I made sure isn't enabled.

It's probably not a big deal in the States, but I'd have to imagine ASRock wouldn't have made the feature if there was no demand for it. Then I remembered that VHS was never big in China, because the humidity would destroy the tapes. As a result, China mostly adopted VCD (Video CD) as a precursor to DVD... So... yeah. Maybe its a real issue in humid areas of the world, but man, oh man, was that video bad.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah I've seen it in my UEFI as well. I disabled too because it sounded like snake oil to me.

VulgarandStupid posted:

It's probably not a big deal in the States, but I'd have to imagine ASRock wouldn't have made the feature if there was no demand for it. Then I remembered that VHS was never big in China, because the humidity would destroy the tapes. As a result, China mostly adopted VCD (Video CD) as a precursor to DVD... So... yeah. Maybe its a real issue in humid areas of the world, but man, oh man, was that video bad.

I've never lived anywhere where it was both humid and where my apartment wasn't sealed/had AC. I guess I could see the need for this feature in some other places now that I think about it. Maybe?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah I've seen it in my UEFI as well. I disabled too because it sounded like snake oil to me.

I've never lived anywhere where it was both humid and where my apartment wasn't sealed/had AC. I guess I could see the need for this feature in some other places now that I think about it. Maybe?

There are plenty of places in southeast Asia with very high humidity throughout the year including a monsoon season and little in the way of air conditioning available.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

VulgarandStupid posted:

Er, VHS was quite popular in Hong Kong and Macau and Taiwan for a while, but through the 70s and even into the 80s there wasn't a lot of TVs in use in mainland China to pick up VCRs, even if they could afford them. And besides, hundreds of millions of mainland Chinese live in areas that aren't very humid in usual conditions. Video CDs on the other hand, the players cost about as much as a VCR did, but the CDs were so much cheaper to manufacture and buy than tapes were. The same cheapness and equivalent quality is why the VCD format picked up in those other Chinas once it was around.

Correspondingly, there was plenty of usage of VHS/Beta in humid parts of Japan, Europe, the Americas, regardless of whether or not people had working A/C or dehumidifiers to keep humidity down. Really, VHS tapes only get ruined faster than normal play does if you insist on leaving them in sauna conditions or storing them in your bathroom. Typical household humidity in a humid area is ok for them, even though they'd be best in a perfect A/C storage facility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It also prevents fan death.