Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I heard a few times that modern factory farmed pork in the USA is using pigs bred to be really lean (not just surface fat but in the flesh itself). Then I was told this 'kurobota' pork is some special old school pig breed thats nice and fatty. I get this pork along with American 'kobe' beef at my favorite Shabu Shabu place. Seems fatty.

Any truth to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
When pork people called it The Other White Meat they were really loving themselves

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ranter posted:

I heard a few times that modern factory farmed pork in the USA is using pigs bred to be really lean (not just surface fat but in the flesh itself). Then I was told this 'kurobota' pork is some special old school pig breed thats nice and fatty. I get this pork along with American 'kobe' beef at my favorite Shabu Shabu place. Seems fatty.

Any truth to this?

That's pretty much it. Look for heritage pig breeds when you buy pork. Berkshire pork is the same breed as Kurobuta but raised in the US/UK.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Any reason I shouldn't use mason jars to cook some chicken thighs in enchilada sauce? Seems a lot easier than trying to bag the liquid

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

BraveUlysses posted:

Any reason I shouldn't use mason jars to cook some chicken thighs in enchilada sauce? Seems a lot easier than trying to bag the liquid

I think you'll just need to make sure that you're filling the jars completely so you don't have a big air pockets screwing up the heat transfer. That sounds plausible, right?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah that's what I figured.

I've used them for creme brulee and garlic confit but never anything with meat.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

BraveUlysses posted:

Ziplock bags are easier and will cook faster.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Mikey Purp posted:

I followed this dude's recipe and it was a huge success.

Will I be able to sear this on my cast iron or is a torch really necessary to avoid burning the hell out of the mustard/spices? I might be able to steal a propane torch from work for a day but I've never seared stuff that way before and don't really want to ruin it.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I did mine in a cast iron without issue. As long as it fits in the pan it should be ok, just make sure you have the tools and enough room to flip it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah that's what I figured.

I've used them for creme brulee and garlic confit but never anything with meat.

What is the secret for garlic confit that doesn't turn deadly?

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

ShadowCatboy posted:

Also on the menu, 72-hour red-cooked pork cheeks:

I hate to drag something up from two months ago, but I've just been catching up with this thread and I need a recipe (or at least a temperature to go with the time) for these. I'm having some pretty strong feelings towards pig cheeks right now.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Ultimate Mango posted:

I don't think there's any risk of it being deadly if you sous vide it. I think I followed the modernist cuisine method using a shitload of pre-peeled fresh garlic from h-mart.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Ultimate Mango posted:

Uh, refrigeration?

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Hauki posted:

Uh, refrigeration?

You still risk botulism that way I'm pretty sure, but some food scientist should tell me if I'm wrong.

Garlic confit is made over low heat, with a bunch of garlic in a pot--basically roasting it. It happens over heat and so comparatively quickly that there's no risk of botulism. This Saveur recipe shows the difference between confit and an infusion.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Came by to let you guys know that Anova has an EU deal: €150 w/ free shipping for the wifi model.

http://anovaculinary.com/

I just ordered one myself.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Nicol Bolas posted:

You still risk botulism that way I'm pretty sure, but some food scientist should tell me if I'm wrong.

Botulism spores are destroyed at around 250F. Put your garlic in a pot with oil, bake at 275F for an hour. It's safe in the fridge more or less indefinitely after that, especially if it stays submerged in oil.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Botulism spores are destroyed at around 250F. Put your garlic in a pot with oil, bake at 275F for an hour. It's safe in the fridge more or less indefinitely after that, especially if it stays submerged in oil.
unless the pot was capped with a clean lid, it wouldn't be safe forever because botulinum is everywhere.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

MasterFugu posted:

unless the pot was capped with a clean lid, it wouldn't be safe forever because botulinum is everywhere.

I doubt you'd stick a pot in the fridge indefinitely. Bot doesn't like to reproduce at fridge temps, you'd be fine with a clean jar.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

MasterFugu posted:

Well obviously put it in a sterilized jar or container. Don't just leave it in the pot.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Isn't the issue that the water in the garlic won't fully leave, which means that you can't actually get above 212 in your garlic?

Most confit recipes call for pressure cooking because you can generate positive pressure and at 15psi in a pressure cooker water boils at 248F which kills botulism pretty quick. Then as long as you don't open the jar it's shelf-stableish (but you could still store it in the fridge because you like to be safe).

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/garlic-confit/
https://forums.egullet.org/topic/147793-modernist-cuisine-garlic-confit/

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Chemmy posted:

Isn't the issue that the water in the garlic won't fully leave, which means that you can't actually get above 212 in your garlic?

Most confit recipes call for pressure cooking because you can generate positive pressure and at 15psi in a pressure cooker water boils at 248F which kills botulism pretty quick. Then as long as you don't open the jar it's shelf-stableish (but you could still store it in the fridge because you like to be safe).

Depends on how you do your confit. I basically caramelize the garlic, which as I understand it, means there isn't any water left, which is why its caramelizing.

e: Douglas Baldwin says 25min at 185F is enough to reduce spores by a factor of 6, so I'll go with that.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 10, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Chemmy posted:

In the modernist cuisine recipe, do you need to sterilize the mason jars beforehand, like you would if you were canning something? That recipe looks dead easy and I want to try it.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

The Midniter posted:

In the modernist cuisine recipe, do you need to sterilize the mason jars beforehand, like you would if you were canning something? That recipe looks dead easy and I want to try it.

What 248°F for 2h isn't enough sterilization for you?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

deimos posted:

I think he's asking about the sous vide method.

In which case I think they're suggesting bagging it, not canning it, making jar sterilization a moot point.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

deimos posted:

Durrrr, thanks. I wasn't seeing the forest for the trees.

Epiphyte
Apr 7, 2006

I'm thinking of doing some carnitas this weekend with some pork country ribs I found in the bottom of my freezer. I'm not super familiar with this cut, would there be a benefit to using sous vide for like a 24 hr cook, or should I just braise it?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I'm gonna read all 119 pages, I swear, but the OP and Kenji's circulator triple-test are about two and a half years old so could someone briefly bring me up to speed:

- Has the market shaken out at all? Are there two or three immersion circulators that have stood above the others? What do people like/dislike about them?
- Is something like https://www.adafruit.com/product/1401 a viable option for someone who has been known to bite a wire now and then, or is a commercial immersion circulator just going to be less hassle (in use, not in construction)?
- Why on earth do I care about Bluetooth or wifi on something that maintains a precise temperature for several hours?

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 03:27 on May 11, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The anova app is hot garbage.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hogmartin posted:

- Has the market shaken out at all? Are there two or three immersion circulators that have stood above the others? What do people like/dislike about them?

Anova seems to be generally emerging as the best value at their price point, especially when you catch them on sale for <$150.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

hogmartin posted:

I'm gonna read all 119 pages, I swear, but the OP and Kenji's circulator triple-test are about two and a half years old so could someone briefly bring me up to speed:

- Is something like https://www.adafruit.com/product/1401 a viable option for someone who has been known to bite a wire now and then, or is a commercial immersion circulator just going to be less hassle (in use, not in construction)?
- Why on earth do I care about Bluetooth or wifi on something that maintains a precise temperature for several hours?

The various anova models seem popular and anova appears to provide good support. I wouldn't build my own just because commercial options are cheap enough these days. If you don't think you'd care about BT/wifi then you probably won't! It would be nice if anova made a base model for like $100 that doesn't have that stupid poo poo built in.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for an Anova when they go on sale. Any particular vendors that seem to discount them more or often? Anything in particular that makes the Anova app lousy besides "Fixed app crashing issue" plastered all over their app store page?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I mostly use the app for recipe ideas. Never to control the unit.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

hogmartin posted:

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for an Anova when they go on sale. Any particular vendors that seem to discount them more or often? Anything in particular that makes the Anova app lousy besides "Fixed app crashing issue" plastered all over their app store page?

Sometimes the timer setting doesn't work but has no indication it didn't until you check it the next morning and it's still sitting at 30:00 hours left or whatever.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

hogmartin posted:

Last time I looked at it, the app was useless. Set an alert on slickdeals for Anova - sales get posted there frequently.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hogmartin posted:

There's an app? I don't know why I would want to use that.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hogmartin posted:

Thanks guys, I'll keep an eye out for an Anova when they go on sale.

If you're in the EU they're on sale right now.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
The app is great. I like being able to start the unit remotely and get my water pre-heated before I get home.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

There are two apps, the one with recipes and Bluetooth is poo poo but the simplified wifi control one has been a godsend for me.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.

tonedef131 posted:

There are two apps, the one with recipes and Bluetooth is poo poo but the simplified wifi control one has been a godsend for me.

Yeah, this has been my experience as well, maybe because they ripped all the crap out of it. They also added an ice bath notification function which I haven't tried yet but seems like something that could be neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Epiphyte posted:

I'm thinking of doing some carnitas this weekend with some pork country ribs I found in the bottom of my freezer. I'm not super familiar with this cut, would there be a benefit to using sous vide for like a 24 hr cook, or should I just braise it?

It's slabs of pork shoulder, or should be. I used a time/temp I got online - can't seem to find it now but I feel like it was from modernist cuisine? I aimed for 36 hours as I recall. Although using this as a base should be fine:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/09/the-food-lab-complete-guide-sous-vide-pork-ribs.html

I used a black bean sauce the first time, which was awesome, and a more traditional BBQ rub the second time - both turned out great.