Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

My dad loves Cabela's and every time I went there with him it just looked incredibly tacky. I didn't get why it had the giant tacky mountain thing going on in the middle with all the stuffed animals, it even has a loving large circular room with the singular purpose of looking at stuffed animals. I don't even remember him ever buying anything there. It was like going to an incredibly lovely zoo full of dead things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
best thing about cabellas is their dumb hunting video games.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

JB50 posted:

Behold the MANS super mega store:

And it is most certainly NOT circling the drain.

Oh you don't stock the map for the wilderness that is right next to town? No, that's cool, it would probably just get in the way of more guns. So what maps do you have? Oh, that's it? Well what about hiking boots? Oh, well I guess guns and fishing poles are cool...
gently caress Cabela's.
Edit: The big aquarium is cool though, I like that.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

Oh you don't stock the map for the wilderness that is right next to town? No, that's cool, it would probably just get in the way of more guns. So what maps do you have? Oh, that's it? Well what about hiking boots? Oh, well I guess guns and fishing poles are cool...
gently caress Cabela's.
Edit: The big aquarium is cool though, I like that.

Maps??? What is this the 80's?

They appear to have tons of boots though.

JB50 has a new favorite as of 09:13 on May 5, 2016

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

JB50 posted:

Maps??? What is this the 80's?

They appear to have tons of boots though.

Good luck navigating some of the back country trails I hit with a GPS. And it's not their boot selection, it's their insane prices for any sort of quality brand.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

KiteAuraan posted:

Good luck navigating some of the back country trails I hit with a GPS. And it's not their boot selection, it's their insane prices for any sort of quality brand.

"I hiked that trail before it was cool."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Cabela's/Bass Pro have their markets pretty well dialed in. They serve a very different segment than REI does.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

canyoneer posted:

Cabela's/Bass Pro have their markets pretty well dialed in. They serve a very different segment than REI does.

rednecks vs millenials?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Darth123123 posted:

rednecks vs millenials?

Gen Xers just buy it off Amazon

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Booblord Zagats posted:

Gen Xers just buy it off Amazon

REI is a COOP man.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
capitalism is circling the drain

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Farm to table is the next ConAgra

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

JediTalentAgent posted:

I just don't know if the sporting goods superstore is a good model in the US unless they sell a ton of guns.

That was one of the things that started the demise for Sports Authority. I worked there in the late 90's, and at the time we sold lots of firearms, handguns and rifles, at the store I worked at in the Phoenix area. Outdoors was the biggest money maker in the store. None of the local gun dealers could compete with us on pricing, and if they tired, we'd match the price and take another 10% off. A new management group took over and pulled handguns, because guns are bad, mmmkay, and the store's revenue went down nearly 20% the next year. I cant imagine what its been like since they got rid of all firearms and accessories.

poo poo talk guns all you want, but do you think Bass Pro, Cabela's, and Scheel's have expanded so rapidly because of their elaborate displays and fudge rooms? It's the guns and ammo that not only are keeping the lights on but fuling the profits.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
What is this thread even about anymore jeses

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

canyoneer posted:

REI targets the mom wandering in yoga pants demographic.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

etalian posted:

Also hipsters who think they need $300 worth of equipment to walk 4 miles in the woods.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

red19fire posted:

Also hipsters who think they need $300 worth of equipment to walk 4 miles in the woods.

I would gladly spend $300 not to look like a newborn fawn whenever I walked on terrain that would be classified as anything other than city.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

etalian posted:

Don't forget the recently promoted hipster that figures it's time to get a bicycle. So they get a $2,500 carbon fiber, $700 Yakima roof rack system for their Volvo, $1,500 in Fred accessories for the bike (meanwhile figuring they only need one waterbottle/cage), $1k for tops / shorts they aren't bothering to try on until they're home, $1,000 for helmet/shoes/gloves, all top end because reasons. Slap that poo poo on the credit card! REI.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

5er posted:

Don't forget the recently promoted hipster that figures it's time to get a bicycle. So they get a $2,500 carbon fiber, $700 Yakima roof rack system for their Volvo, $1,500 in Fred accessories for the bike (meanwhile figuring they only need one waterbottle/cage), $1k for tops / shorts they aren't bothering to try on until they're home, $1,000 for helmet/shoes/gloves, all top end because reasons. Slap that poo poo on the credit card! REI.

But they're a coop :downs:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

monster on a stick posted:

But they're a coop :downs:

That's like an estrus pheromone to a hipster 'socially conscious' conspicuous consumer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Disclosure, REI is my client so I can tell you the words hipster and millennial isn't even vaguely on their minds which is refreshing as hell in advertising.

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015

Barudak posted:

Disclosure, REI is my client so I can tell you the words hipster and millennial isn't even vaguely on their minds which is refreshing as hell in advertising.

For every hipster millennial dollar REI takes in Im sure the 50+ liberal college professor demographic spends $10+.

naem
May 29, 2011

red19fire posted:

It's really important to young urban professionals to be able to identify each other by the brightly colored expedition gear they just bought so that they don't accidentally have a conversation with a non yuppie

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

5er posted:

That's like an estrus pheromone to a hipster 'socially conscious' conspicuous consumer.

It depends. Winco is employee-owned, which is usually hipster bait, but their stores focus on inexpensive groceries instead of free range organic kale and mangosteen pizza on a gluten-free flax seed crust. So hipsters stay far away.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Barudak posted:

Fair. We need an updated term for the solipsistic contemporary yuppie. Hipsters are more of an awkward fashion slave thing, and millenial's just too broad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
REI has legitimately good stuff. That's where I get my clothes for field work.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
REI and Cabala's appeal to the 50K/yr- millionaire demo more than anything

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

5er posted:

Forgot $300 camel pack

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

red19fire posted:

$300? Pfffft. That's what each piece of gear alone costs.

naem
May 29, 2011

blowfish posted:

$300? Pfffft. That's what each piece of gear alone costs.

Don't forget that they come out with a new version of everything every year and you need to buy the entire 7 piece kit, so that you match all the other people who also bought it all, so that you can look down on anyone with last year's cram-jacket© or three year old TurboScrums™® on their FnorkPakk©®

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

naem posted:

Don't forget that they come out with a new version of everything every year and you need to buy the entire 7 piece kit, so that you match all the other people who also bought it all, so that you can look down on anyone with last year's cram-jacket© or three year old TurboScrums™® on their FnorkPakk©®

The North Face (of a 200m high hill with a 10° slope at its steepest point)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

monster on a stick posted:

It depends. Winco is employee-owned, which is usually hipster bait, but their stores focus on inexpensive groceries instead of free range organic kale and mangosteen pizza on a gluten-free flax seed crust. So hipsters stay far away.

I feel sorry for everyone who doesn't have a WinCo. Things are so cheap & good there.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

I live near one and every time they have those sales for members that get 400 people waiting in line before opening, it's almost always people aged 30 and under. Even if they pretend to ignore the millenials, those are the ones who are backing them and working for them in the stores.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

canyoneer posted:

a really liberal girl from high school is a frontliner there for a few years now, and is happy she got black friday off or something

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

REI takes over former Borders bookstore locations. Serving the Community.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Haier posted:

I live near one and every time they have those sales for members that get 400 people waiting in line before opening, it's almost always people aged 30 and under. Even if they pretend to ignore the millenials, those are the ones who are backing them and working for them in the stores.

It's not a matter of ignoring them, it's just that's not how they think about it. They focus on the activities they are supporting, which combined with their advertising media of choice, typically skews younger since that's who is typically most active outside. That said their typical consumer is definitely well north of 30. They're genuinely pretty good about not trying to put their consumers in specific boxes and make conscious efforts to avoid over-catering to men despite what generic data would say.

naem
May 29, 2011

Old people want to dress and act like young people still so the ads feature hip young people with DuPontNordel™© advanced action liposomes on their TurboNugsz™® brand crompets

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Wow, REI sounds like poo poo

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Capntastic posted:

Wow, REI sounds like overpriced poo poo

ftfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fool and the World
Dec 8, 2010

naem posted:

Old people want to dress and act like young people still so the ads feature hip young people with DuPontNordel™© advanced action liposomes on their TurboNugsz™® brand crompets

Advertising is aspirational, not inspirational. That's what he's not telling you.