Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
What are the chances we will actually be able to pre-order the 1080 thing at MSRP and get it shipped May 27th?

How real are these launch dates?

I'm just building a new machine with a 980ti (nabbed one for $545), still within my return window for another week or so and fortunately have not clipped the UPC for rebate yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

admiraldennis posted:

What are the chances we will actually be able to pre-order the 1080 thing at MSRP and get it shipped May 27th?

I'm just building a new machine with a 980ti (nabbed one for $545), still within my return window for another week or so and fortunately have not clipped the UPC for rebate yet...

That is a complete unknown at this point, do return that 980ti though, at the very least you should be able to find a lightly used one with a transferable warranty for ~$300-$350 in the next few weeks if the 1080/1070 end up being paper launches.

If there are ones going to retail there absolutely will be leaks from employees over the next few weeks too.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Question for you guys: My current plans involve getting a GTX960. Given the recent announcements are for high end cards, would you expect there to be much price change at the middle/lower end of the market? Should I wait a bit, or should I just go ahead?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I've noticed that the GTX 980 doesn't really have a home in the OP. Do the X80 cards and now the 1080 sort of always land there? Like if you're thinking to get the 80 you might as well get the 80ti or just get the 70?

I usually build a new PC every 3 years and this summer would be the next time. It looks like you guys would recommend just getting a video card though and waiting on the rest of the upgrade.

I have a 4670k, Asus Z87-A, 8GB DDR3, and a GTX 760. I also need a new SSD. I have a 1200p monitor but I want to go dual screen and a new monitor I get would probably be newer/better for gaming so I imagine I'd be down to 1080p.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Brovine posted:

Question for you guys: My current plans involve getting a GTX960. Given the recent announcements are for high end cards, would you expect there to be much price change at the middle/lower end of the market? Should I wait a bit, or should I just go ahead?

People are already selling their 980Tis for like $350, 970s will probably go for sub 200 very soon.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

KingKapalone posted:

I've noticed that the GTX 980 doesn't really have a home in the OP. Do the X80 cards and now the 1080 sort of always land there? Like if you're thinking to get the 80 you might as well get the 80ti or just get the 70?

I usually build a new PC every 3 years and this summer would be the next time. It looks like you guys would recommend just getting a video card though and waiting on the rest of the upgrade.

I have a 4670k, Asus Z87-A, 8GB DDR3, and a GTX 760. I also need a new SSD. I have a 1200p monitor but I want to go dual screen and a new monitor I get would probably be newer/better for gaming so I imagine I'd be down to 1080p.

Where each card ends up changes with each generation, the gap between the 1080 and 1070 looks larger than the gap between the 970 and 980 so the 1080 might be worth it depending on your needs. However the 1070 will almost certainly be the better value overall.

Your current CPU is fine, same for your RAM, I'd say the best route is to get a 1070 and a new SSD.

Brovine posted:

Hold off and get a used 970 or 980ti, that will be a far, far, far better value than a 960 right now.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Put together an i5-6600k system earlier this week. Still waiting on my NCASE M1. The EVGA GTX 670 I pulled from an old system is being a little frustrating though. Have to turn the settings on Battleborn way down to get ~60fps at 1080p.

Should I get a EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SC+ GAMING ACX 2.0 and try my luck with the step up program? Beginning of August seems like it might be cutting it close? They've got some fine print about not having to offer new cards for step up right away.

quote:

Products known to have a limited availability will not be made available to the Step-Up program. (Limited availability determined by EVGA.)

Guess at the worst, I should be able to sell it locally for like $150 later this Summer.

dema fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 7, 2016

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Neo_Crimson posted:

People are already selling their 980Tis for like $350, 970s will probably go for sub 200 very soon.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hold off and get a used 970 or 980ti, that will be a far, far, far better value than a 960 right now.

I'd prefer to buy new - and I do want to buy stuff within the next few weeks. Is the new market likely to be affected in any useful way?

I've never really paid much attention around launches as I've not been buying any where near the high end stuff.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Brovine posted:

I'd prefer to buy new - and I do want to buy stuff within the next few weeks. Is the new market likely to be affected in any useful way?

I've never really paid much attention around launches as I've not been buying any where near the high end stuff.

A number of brands have transferable warranties so there is really nothing lost in buying used, but if you prefer to get riped off feel free to buy new, you can keep an eye out for sales at least so you don't get quite as badly riped off as you would if you bought today.

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
So my husband and I (going prebuilt out of laziness etc) didn't end up jumping on the recent HP envy deal while it was at it's best, the other half of it is expiring today, we've heard about the new GPUs and so on, and don't know what to do at this point to get a decent deal. Do you guys think we should wait for more/better sales going on over the next couple months for high-end prebuilt systems from Dell, Alienware, HP etc, or is the current deal probably going to be as good as it gets?

Edit: crap, forgot to say that we're in the US, our budget is approx $2200, we have a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc already, and he wants a gaming desktop that'll do 1920x1080 on high quality. We don't mind paying the prebuilt premium so long as it's not outrageous.

babydonthurtme fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 7, 2016

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Brovine posted:

The 1080/1070 were announced a day ago and the 1070s coming out in June for less than 400 dollars and its supposed to be better than the 980ti (from what I can gather everyones going nuts it's a little hard to follow).

But apparently the 1070 will be really hard to get at retail because everyone will buy 100 and mark them up? This is a new one for me, PC parts profit mongering. Anyway I'm waiting until June for it.

edit- nevermind I obviously came in late. But that does let me ask -- will the 1070 really be hard to find for a while?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I have a 960 now (pc built about a year ago). I have a pretty small case so I'll need a version that isn't bulky, but any reason I can't swap in a 1070? My PSU is 550w so I should be able to accommodate the power increase.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

KingKapalone posted:

I've noticed that the GTX 980 doesn't really have a home in the OP. Do the X80 cards and now the 1080 sort of always land there?

The GTX 980 is much more pricy than the GTX 970 but doesn't actually provide much more graphics power. If you want to go higher than a 970, you might as well skip the 980 and get the 980 Ti instead. It always depends on how Nvidia's lineup turns out whether the *80 card of the current generation is worth it.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have a 960 now (pc built about a year ago). I have a pretty small case so I'll need a version that isn't bulky, but any reason I can't swap in a 1070? My PSU is 550w so I should be able to accommodate the power increase.

It will work.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Holy poo poo, I normally am not one to pine over new tech but I may be selling my 980ti to get a 1080.

Am I nuts? I run a 1440p 165hz monitor so I actually need the power.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
  • What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming
  • What's your budget? $800
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080

I built this two years ago:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
ASRock B85M Pro4 (CPUSocket)

Graphics
ASUS VH222H (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (Gigabyte)

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00KUWA0 (SATA)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Is there anything I would need to really upgrade at this point? I have been getting excellent performance on games with no problems.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

OptimusShr posted:

• What country are you in? USA
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming
  • What's your budget? $800
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1920x1080

I built this two years ago:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3.20GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)

Motherboard
ASRock B85M Pro4 (CPUSocket)

Graphics
ASUS VH222H (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (Gigabyte)

Storage
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00KUWA0 (SATA)

Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Is there anything I would need to really upgrade at this point? I have been getting excellent performance on games with no problems.

A SSD would be a great upgrade for you, other than that as long as games are playing well there is no need to upgrade anything. Plus new video cards are coming out in the next month or two so this is a bad time to buy a video card which would be the main way to boost your game performance.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

snuff posted:

That we live in 2016 and that's just how the world works, accept it.

"Companies want to invade your life so you should just accept it" is a terrible argument to make.

admiraldennis posted:

I'd send the 980ti back and wait a bit unless you have a burning need for it right now. Being patient for a couple weeks means getting a hell of a lot more power for roughly the same price. Hell you could send it back and buy a used 980ti for probably less than $300 because people with them are trying to dump theirs for the 10xx series.

ColHannibal posted:

Holy poo poo, I normally am not one to pine over new tech but I may be selling my 980ti to get a 1080.

Am I nuts? I run a 1440p 165hz monitor so I actually need the power.

Here's Doom running on ultra settings at 1080p using a GTX 1080:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRjbYdcXbs

140+ FPS when they remove the 60fps cap, though you already have a 980ti and while the 1080 is awesome I don't get the need people have to grab a 1080 when they already have a card that's really good unless you're going to be doing 4k gaming or a bunch of VR stuff. :shrug:

strong bird
May 12, 2009

that's not doom, my man

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I just bought a 970 in March. :( God loving dammit. Before I did I scoured the internet for a month looking for a hint of a release date on these things. gently caress gently caress gently caress.

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Imagined posted:

I just bought a 970 in March. :( God loving dammit. Before I did I scoured the internet for a month looking for a hint of a release date on these things. gently caress gently caress gently caress.
I bought one like three weeks ago, after doing the same thing... :v: Well, it should still be good for 1080p for a long time right???

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
This was a few days back in the old thread but I wanted to give an update. Turns out you can totally play dark souls on a Q9400 with a 960 on medium setting, so thanks for the advice all!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Purple D. Link posted:

I bought one like three weeks ago, after doing the same thing... :v: Well, it should still be good for 1080p for a long time right???

The 1070/1080 aren't going to be much use unless you're into 4K, VR, or pushing up to 60 fps with Ultra settings on the most intensive sandbox games like Witcher 3 (or past 60 on other titles). They're a big jump in performance, but right now most of that performance can only make itself known in a few small niches where gaming is concerned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Purple D. Link posted:

A 970 is going to run a lot of stuff at 1080p for years I'd imagine. You might not get 60+fps on ultra pretty 3482973092x AA settings but it'll be plenty. If I had a 970 I don't think I'd have cared about the 10xx release at all. Even having a 780 would've probably made me wait another year.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Status Update: ebay E5-2670s arrived and work fine. RAM works fine. ... but the motherboard has a busted RAM slot.

I can get 56 gigs to work as long as i leave a certain slot empty. If i put RAM in that slot it wont post and has the 'b7' code. (Asus Z9PA-D8).

Replacement on the way! Gg amazon!

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Purple D. Link posted:

I bought a GTX 970 three days ago and installed it today. Don't regret it one bit and I knew the Nvidia announcement was coming. I picked it up for ~$230 after the rebate and Dark Souls 3 looks amazing on maxed settings. I didn't feel like waiting a couple of weeks and I didn't want to spend another $150 over what I paid.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Carl Seitan posted:

I bought a GTX 970 three days ago and installed it today. Don't regret it one bit and I knew the Nvidia announcement was coming. I picked it up for ~$230 after the rebate and Dark Souls 3 looks amazing on maxed settings. I didn't feel like waiting a couple of weeks and I didn't want to spend another $150 over what I paid.

If I'd paid $230 in March I'd be fine with it too, but mine was like $320.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say.
Hello, I'm posting here asking for feedback on my current build list. I live in the US. This system will primarily be used for gaming but also basic 3D work in Maya and Unity as well as quite a bit of Photoshop work. My budget goal is to keep everything under $1500. One of my main gaming goals is to be able to run GTA V online at 1080p resolution with 60 fps. I've been told that this hardware is more than powerful enough for that. I'm mostly posting to see if anyone can point out incompatibilities between the mobo, processor, video card, ram, etc. Any recommendations for different cases, keyboards, or monitors are welcome as well. Thanks a lot for any feedback!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-P D3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.26 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($199.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($81.24 @ B&H)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: LG 24GM77 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech G510s Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($24.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $1250.18
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 22:33 EDT-0400

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

dexefiend posted:

Status Update: ebay E5-2670s arrived and work fine. RAM works fine. ... but the motherboard has a busted RAM slot.

I can get 56 gigs to work as long as i leave a certain slot empty. If i put RAM in that slot it wont post and has the 'b7' code. (Asus Z9PA-D8).

Replacement on the way! Gg amazon!

What are you using that PC for that you need 64GB of RAM. :stare:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Treebeh posted:

Hello, I'm posting here asking for feedback on my current build list. I live in the US. This system will primarily be used for gaming but also basic 3D work in Maya and Unity as well as quite a bit of Photoshop work. My budget goal is to keep everything under $1500. One of my main gaming goals is to be able to run GTA V online at 1080p resolution with 60 fps. I've been told that this hardware is more than powerful enough for that. I'm mostly posting to see if anyone can point out incompatibilities between the mobo, processor, video card, ram, etc. Any recommendations for different cases, keyboards, or monitors are welcome as well. Thanks a lot for any feedback!

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($81.24 @ B&H)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)

I made some adjustments:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Titanium) ATX Mid Tower Case ($115.99 @ Directron)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $1403.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 23:03 EDT-0400

1. Upgraded you to an i7 because photoshop could really use the hyperthreading.
2. The old motherboard wasn't compatible with DDR4 memory (which Skylake requires) for some reason. I got you one that is.
3. 16 GB of DDR4 memory because Photoshop can be quite the memory hog at times.
4. A good CPU cooler because the 6700k doesn't come with a stock cooler. This can handle a decent overclock too if you so desire.
5. Upgraded your video card to something than can handle 1080p much better. Note, Nvidia announced their new graphics cards literally yesterday, so I suggest this EVGA card and use their Step-Up program to upgrade to the next gen for cheap (if you so desire).
6. Swapped out your PSU for a cheaper and better one.
7. If your goal is GTA5 @ 60fps there's not much point in getting a 144Hz monitor. I downgraded you to a 60Hz IPS one to keep everything under-budget.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Treebeh posted:

Here is an updated spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($240.31 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Extreme3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($101.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($32.89 @ OutletPC)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0W 2ch Speakers ($24.91 @ Amazon)
Total: $1409.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 23:01 EDT-0400

There were quite a few problems with your original spec, bad motherboard choice, DDR3 RAM, a non-k CPU with a Z170 motherboard, lack of RAM that would be useful for the 3d work in Maya and such. Anyway, I corrected those and made some other improvements, the R5 case is much better than the R4 you had picked, I bumped up the video card because this one is nearly twice as fast for only $80 more.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Treebeh posted:

Hello, I'm posting here asking for feedback on my current build list. I live in the US. This system will primarily be used for gaming but also basic 3D work in Maya and Unity as well as quite a bit of Photoshop work.

Neo_Crimson posted:

7. If your goal is GTA5 @ 60fps there's not much point in getting a 144Hz monitor. I downgraded you to a 60Hz IPS one to keep everything under-budget.

Do you care at all about color fidelity while doing this 3D and Photoshop work? Because both of those screens are asstacular.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

dema posted:

Do you care at all about color fidelity while doing this 3D and Photoshop work? Because both of those screens are asstacular.

Gaming is the real priority here. I think for my purposes, this monitor should work well enough for both though. Did you have another one in mind you think would be a better value for my needs and budget?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I sure wouldn't be happy with that. I'm sitting here with that same monitor in front of me (Asus VG248QE) and both an HP ZR30w (30" S-IPS) and a 13" MacBook Pro Retina next to it. I've spent a good bit of time on the display settings and the color is only barely acceptable to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3c8fpi/the_old_thread_for_just_bought_a_glorious_asus/

The Asus is great for gaming though! Love the 144mhz.

Treebeh
Sep 20, 2010

dema posted:

I sure wouldn't be happy with that. I'm sitting here with that same monitor in front of me (Asus VG248QE) and both an HP ZR30w (30" S-IPS) and a 13" MacBook Pro Retina next to it. I've spent a good bit of time on the display settings and the color is only barely acceptable to me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3c8fpi/the_old_thread_for_just_bought_a_glorious_asus/

The Asus is great for gaming though! Love the 144mhz.

Thanks for the link. That could be very helpful for me once everything is put together.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
is now a good time to get an EVGA card to take advantage of their step up program

How does it work exactly?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Moola posted:

is now a good time to get an EVGA card to take advantage of their step up program

How does it work exactly?

Probably not. This came up in the GPU Megathread and how I understood it, is that the step up is valid for only 3 months and you can't step up to graphics cards that are in "limited availability" as defined by EVGA. I would expect the new cards to have limited availability for the foreseeable future. I have a hard time thinking what is the step up program good for. Pretty much the only scenario where it's useful is if you buy a too powerless card by mistake and can't return it to the store.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Saukkis posted:

Probably not. This came up in the GPU Megathread and how I understood it, is that the step up is valid for only 3 months and you can't step up to graphics cards that are in "limited availability" as defined by EVGA. I would expect the new cards to have limited availability for the foreseeable future. I have a hard time thinking what is the step up program good for. Pretty much the only scenario where it's useful is if you buy a too powerless card by mistake and can't return it to the store.

Basically yes. I suppose you can use it if 970s are still not sold out when 1070s are dirt common, but it's probably not going to be worth it vs. just buying a 1070.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

What country are you in?
USA

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming + Internet Browsing

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
$200-$250

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?
1920x1080. Better than they are now.

Here is my setup, I built this computer however many years ago and now I'm debating a whole new build or just a graphics card update.

AMD Phenom II X4 840 Proc @ 3.2GHz
Corsair 750-watt CMPSU-750TXV2
8GB RAM DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX460 1024 MB DDR5
ASUS Xonar DG Audio Card
Corsair Force SSD 120GB (Win 7 and Games)
Storage Drives

Bolded what I am thinking about upgrading. If I were to spend $200-250 on a better card would it be worth it for games like Overwatch, Battlefield series, etc? Will I just end up being bottlenecked by the processor? Should I just hold off until I decide to drop the dough on building an entirely new system?

TIA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Imagined posted:

I did too knowing what was coming but I said "gently caress it, the 970 is more than enough for 1080p." I feel like if I were gonna get anything better it would be part of a whole new machine in service of a fancy new monitor or some awesome VR thing that justifies owning a VR headset.