Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Thank you to everyone who has volunteered to smash and crush together on Ogrecoming Adversity! I look forward to building a glorious mountain of huge, fat and powerful ogre corpses with you all! Our team roster is complete and now looks like this:

quote:

#TEAMNAME Ogrecoming Adversity
#TEAMCAPTAIN huiren

#TEAMMEMBERS
1. LordSloth
2. ThermosAquaticus
3. FireSight
4. dpeg (It is an honor to our clan to welcome an Ogre Dev of such magnificent sagacity and girth!)
5. Edilaic

Please let me know if I made any mistakes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

DECj faded altar'd to sif muna. got some good books going, poison arrow nearly castable, and found wands of healing and tele in early lair. Also got Boots of Running from an early shop.

:ohdear:

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 7, 2016

murtidash
Apr 28, 2003
Rawr!
I really hope Ogrecoming Adversity gets one of their first nem choice wins.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Got test subject 3 on my second game :toot:

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
So I'm running a GrMo, took the Faded Altar and it gave me Trog. I've been having a great time punching things to death and using shortbows for distance after picking up a frost-branded one off a centaur, but now that Trog's starting to drop gifts, should I maybe think about switching to actual weapons? Does he ever give out ranged weapons?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Pinechild posted:

So I'm running a GrMo, took the Faded Altar and it gave me Trog. I've been having a great time punching things to death and using shortbows for distance after picking up a frost-branded one off a centaur, but now that Trog's starting to drop gifts, should I maybe think about switching to actual weapons? Does he ever give out ranged weapons?

Yes, Trog can gift launchers; that's why Kobolds of Trog are so fun, because you can almost guarantee that you will get a triple crossbow :getin:

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Yes, Trog can gift launchers; that's why Kobolds of Trog are so fun, because you can almost guarantee that you will get a triple crossbow :getin:

Great, now all I have to do is not die of hubris!

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Bluh, just splatted a MiBe in Vaults 5. I was dumb.

I think I need to take a break before going back to melee fightmans and trying to win. Recommend me some fun combos to try, thread.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Hey my MiBe just fell through 4 floors from D6 to D10 :ohdear:

And then R - the +8 executioner's axe "Ahanlopeex" (weapon) {antimagic, rPois SInv}

Yeah sure I'll take it.

e: And I got overconfident and died.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 7, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
H - the amulet of Doubts (around neck) {Faith Str+6}.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Tollymain posted:

It's for agnostics.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

What's the rc option for changing auto-attack threshold when low on health?

vvvv gracias

meatpath fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 7, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

68k posted:

What's the rc option for changing auto-attack threshold when low on health?
autofight_stop = 60

or whatever % you want obv

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If I sacrifice Arcana on Ru (translocation specifically) can I still use blink/teleport scrolls/wands?

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why

Sage Grimm posted:

Abyss Me Baby One More Time definitely accepts all comers, from the young and the fresh to the old and set in their ways (of destruction!).
code:
# TEAMNAME Abyss Me Baby One More Time
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm
1. raskol (kaschei)
4. fooot (foot)

I think I'm actually going to play this year.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
protip: listen to relaxing music, not something to get your heart pumping.

that's my excuse for splatting a XL:25 DrMo in Vaults 5. I just loved seeing things explode via immolation scrolls so much that I forgot to look at my health.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Oh man

Powered by Death + Makhleb HP-on-kill + Vampiric Lajatang

It's been a really long time since I've used a lajatang.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I sacrifice Arcana on Ru (translocation specifically) can I still use blink/teleport scrolls/wands?

Yup! It just stops you from using the spell school.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Awesome, new question?

the +5 morningstar of the New World {freeze, MP+9 Str+3}
+2 Vampiric Demon Whip

I'm rocking the demon whip right now and it just let me tab my way through Snake all the way to the rune, even though I figured I'd hit snakes harder with a morningstar {freeze}. I'm thinking now I should really just put any enchant scrolls on that demon whip, and I do have a brand scroll. I've never really used Vampiric before, when does it no longer become useful? Or can I ride this thing into extended?

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

Tollymain posted:

well obviously. everybody knows that doubting ultimately makes your faith stronger.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

rN+ on the target prevents the attacker from healing with vamp brand. So: useless versus full fledged demons and undead monsters.

Everything else equal, demon whips are still a little favourable to morning stars, even at high skill.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I started playing with a Dwarf of Pakellas after seeing the complaints about them here, and I found enough resistance stuff by the end of the lair that I was invulnerable to most things that weren't cold attacks, and with a shield and a reflection amulet a lot of ranged attackers actually kill themselves just by being in the same room as my dwarf.

I'm not sure which branch to head to for the third rune, the only other time I got this far (a few versions ago) I got killed on the last floor of the vault. So I'm thinking I'll avoid that one. Hopefully I'll find cold resistance somewhere soon

code:
Dwarf McDwarf the Impaler (Deep Dwarf Fighter)     Turns: 43297, Time: 08:22:26

Health: 141/171    AC: 41    Str: 21    XL:     18   Next: 48%
Magic:  34/34      EV: 14    Int: 11    God:    Pakellas [******]
Gold:   2925       SH: 19    Dex: 18    Spells: 0 memorised, 17 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis .    g - +3 demon trident (venom)
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    q - +9 plate armour "Sodi" {rElec rF+ Str+3}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    l - +2 shield
rPois  +          Spirit   .    R - +2 hat
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    v - +3 cloak of Purpose {rPois rF+ MP+9 Str-5}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    P - +1 pair of gloves
SustAt .          Harm     .    j - +0 pair of boots
MR     +++..                    I - amulet of Rianeydgh {Reflect rF+ Dex+3 SH+3}
Stlth  ..........               A - +5 ring of protection
                                d - ring of protection from magic

@: mildly poisoned (141 -> 141), non-regenerating, extremely resistant to
hostile enchantments, extremely unstealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, horns 1, talons 1, negative energy
resistance 1, sense surroundings 3, slow regeneration 3
a: Device Recharging, Quick Charge, Device Surge, Renounce Religion
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, serpentine
I found a nice artifact halberd, but I think shields effect how often things reflect so I've been using one handed weapons instead.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you block any bolt-based ranged attack, deflection then gets checked for proccing. More SH, more chances of blocking and more chances for the same base percentage of reflection to trigger!

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
code:
 You smite the curse skull!
 You destroy the curse skull!
27 Invocations is a hell of a drug.

Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Just died with a DDFi of Pak -- because of bad mutation. Was +3mp to use wands. That hosed me hard, and never saw more than 1-2 cure mut, and they were used on other poo poo earlier. So, I guess with Pak -- DO NOT USE PURPLE unless it's beneficial

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

My orc jesus refuses to let go of wandmut.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Abyss Me Baby One More Time definitely accepts all comers, from the young and the fresh to the old and set in their ways (of destruction!).
code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm
1. raskol (kaschei)

I've never actually done a tourney though I've seen quite a few and I'd be interested in trying - my crawl name is Wolpertinger - how do I actually.. join the team?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Wolpertinger posted:

I've never actually done a tourney though I've seen quite a few and I'd be interested in trying - my crawl name is Wolpertinger - how do I actually.. join the team?

You just need to add
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm
to the top of your version 0.18 rc file on your server of choice.
And you need to give your crawl username to the captain so he can add you to the team members list in his rc.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
PRAISE BEOGH

The reworked damage formula for Smite is pretty awesome.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.18.1-2-ga659475 (webtiles) character file.

3192871 wormsofcant the Messiah (level 27, 230/230 HPs)
             Began as a Hill Orc Gladiator on May 7, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Beogh.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 6 runes on May 8, 2016!

The game lasted 05:38:50 (109714 turns).

wormsofcant the Messiah (Hill Orc Gladiator)      Turns: 109714, Time: 05:38:50

Health: 230/230    AC: 53    Str: 25    XL:     27
Magic:  31/31      EV: 21    Int: 13    God:    Beogh [******]
Gold:   744        SH:  0    Dex: 23    Spells: 13 memorised, 8 levels left

rFire  + + .      SeeInvis +    a - +5 battleaxe (elec)
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    w - +8 crystal plate armour {rC+}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (shield currently unavailable)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    C - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    N - +0 cloak of the Elephant {rElec rF+ Regen+ Int+2}
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    h - +2 pair of gloves
SustAt .          Harm     .    R - +2 pair of boots
MR     +++..                    I - amulet of Gash {rF+ Regen+ Int+2 Stlth+}
Stlth  ..........               E - ring "Plog" {rN+ MR+ Dex+7 SInv}
                                u - ring "Abeuhafu" {+Blink rElec rPois rC+ MP-9}

#.#  #.##.#[...........#.#.......
#.# ##.##..#..).......#..#......#
#.###.#.#...#...#....#...####...#
#.##>####.).o#.o.#o.#....#......#
#.###.#.#..).o#o#o##.....#.######
#.# ##.##..#ooo#ooo#oo...#.#
#.#####.#...#o#ooooo#oo..#.#
#.......#....#ooooooo#.#.#.#
#####.#...#...#o@o#o.o#....#
    #.###..#ooo#o#ooo#...###
    #.# #..o#ooo#ooo#....#
    #.# #..oo#ooo#.#oo...#      #
    #.# #..ooo#o..##.oo..#      #
    #.# #...o#o#.#..#.oo.#      #
    #.###...#...#....#...#      #
    #.[.#..#.....#....#..#      #
    #####.#............#.#      #

You could see 7 friendly orc knights, the friendly Gorbash the orc knight, the
friendly Gorm the orc knight, the friendly Ognian the orc high priest, 2
friendly orc sorcerers, 16 friendly orc warriors, the friendly Norbak the orc
warrior, 7 friendly orc priests, the friendly Geork the orc priest, the friendly
Orgrim the orc priest, the friendly Warbeogh the orc priest, 5 friendly orc
wizards, the friendly Agrik the orc wizard, the friendly Warbeogh the orc wizard
and 11 friendly orcs.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Finally got my own MiBe solidly off the ground. I feel like this guy has a decent shot at postgame. Spider, Shoals, Elf, and depths all cleared. Just opened vaults. I normally go 2h, but I decided to pump str and go 1h + large shield, with super heavy armor.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/FilthyApe/FilthyApe.txt

Have a few nice pieces which help.
code:
a - +9 eveningstar (antimagic)
N - +8 orange crystal plate armour {Archmagi, Int+3 Clar SustAt}
k - ring "Medghimn" {rElec rF+ rC+ Str-3 Int+7}

e - a wand of hasting (2/9)
n - a wand of teleportation (3/9)
Q - a wand of heal wounds (5/9)
Whenever I've done postgame before, I've switched to TSO. I figure that would still probably be pretty safe. I am torn on antimagic vs holy wrath for the postgame though. I've done it both ways, and am not sure which is better. I don't have a second eveningstar, which would certainly make the decision easier. I suppose I could bless a demon whip as another option.

I've also done postgame with trog before, but that was back before slaying nerfs. Not sure if it is still an option. That character was a KoBe loaded up with captain's cutlass and an absurd amount of slaying.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

And you are the last. Abyss is now content to let the rest die in its realm.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

Whenever I've done postgame before, I've switched to TSO. I figure that would still probably be pretty safe. I am torn on antimagic vs holy wrath for the postgame though. I've done it both ways, and am not sure which is better. I don't have a second eveningstar, which would certainly make the decision easier. I suppose I could bless a demon whip as another option.

Antimagic is better for dangerous enemies, holy wrath for chaff. So kill fiends etc with holy wrath and save the antimagic for demon lords.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

You have pretty high standards if fiends are chaff

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

A holy wrath branded 2h endgame weapon on an endgame character can kill a fiend in 1-3 hits though. At that point you're not getting much time to make use of your antimagic.

If it was a fiend in an ice cave while you're still around level 15~ it'd be a little different.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean none of the fiends actually have exceptionally good defenses so killing them with holy wrath isn't very hard. A demon that antimagic would be good against is hell sentinels as they are very tanky but substantially less dangerous if they aren't able to cast hellfire.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Man MiBe is HARD. It's highly susceptible to overconfidence. I keep splatting them with my finger firmly pressing the tab key and getting myself into dangerous situations. Thing is 99% of the time it's fine, just push tab, if you get to 60% do a bit of ab, maybe aa and you're good to go. I keep getting to Lair in like 5 minutes and then splat when I should have known better.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Vaults done. Third rune acquired. Found a couple more nice pieces, including a shield of resistance and a pretty resisty amulet. Feeling like this guy has good postgame potential.
http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/FilthyApe/FilthyApe.txt

Was just gifted a second eveningstar, which I burned my two brand scrolls on. Flaming was the best result I got. I had enough weapon enchant scrolls to buff it up to +9 too. So now I have along with the +9 antimagic eveningstar.

The big question, is it worth switching to TSO for postgaming on this guy? Just postgame as a Trog worshipper? I haven't done post for a couple of versions now. Not sure how much has changed. I do have the spare eveningstar now, which would let me have one holy wrath and one antimagic.

code:
FilthyApe the Skullcrusher (Minotaur Berserker)    Turns: 72260, Time: 03:47:17

Health: 223/240    AC: 48    Str: 36    XL:     25   Next: 45%
Magic:  8/8        EV: 14    Int: 14    God:    Trog [*****.]
Gold:   2082       SH: 21    Dex: 10    Spells: 0 memorised, 24 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +9 eveningstar (antimagic)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    N - +8 orange crystal plate armour {Archmagi, Int+3 Clar SustAt}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    H - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois  .          Spirit   +    m - +2 hat {SInv}
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    A - +1 cloak
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    B - +1 pair of gloves {Str+3}
SustAt +          Harm     .    C - +2 pair of boots
MR     ++...      Clarity  +    t - amulet "Xeghos" {Spirit rF+ rC+}
Stlth  ..........               V - ring of positive energy
                                k - ring "Medghimn" {rElec rF+ rC+ Str-3 Int+7}

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 8, 2016

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.

Sage Grimm posted:

code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN Grimm
1. raskol (kaschei)

I'll take it! Name is SevenDeadlySins.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Seven Deadly Sins posted:

I'll take it! Name is SevenDeadlySins.

I'll keep you in mind if Blues Aroo doesn't get linked. He and Wolpertinger have yet to change their rcfiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Deadly Sins
Apr 5, 2009

I stole something that would make me fabulously wealthy...

But I eated it.
All good.

• Locked thread