Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

kcroy posted:

I was going to tell my mom that the timeline didn't make sense ( 281-283 is too long, seed aint that strong, etc ). But when I looked at this:
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Timeline_of_major_events

I see that she was kidnapped in 282-283, and also rescued in 282-283. Are there more specific dates that I can use to demonstrate this theory is false?

Why do you say things like "fam", "dog" and "moms"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kcroy posted:

I was going to tell my mom that the timeline didn't make sense ( 281-283 is too long, seed aint that strong, etc ). But when I looked at this:

I see that she was kidnapped in 282-283, and also rescued in 282-283. Are there more specific dates that I can use to demonstrate this theory is false?
For this you need Preston Jacobs tower of joy videos. He says funny poo poo like "supporters of R + L = J really like the idea of the battle of bells being in the third month" and "based on his naming scheme, Rhaegar was expecting a daughter Visenya". He does these estimates using army marching distances. His personal theory is that Rhaegar + Lyanna = Danaerys.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 7, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
But Dany was born at Dragonstone with the last of the royal Targaryen court in attendance.

AFTER King Aerys, Rhaegar, Lyanna, Ellia Martell and her kids, and all of the Targ loyalists in King's Landing were dead.

That's the most retarded theory ever.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

kcroy posted:

20 years to write 3 years w2g gurm

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Liquid Communism posted:

Did the sequel ever get finished?

Consider, for a moment, the thread in which you're asking that question.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

But Dany was born at Dragonstone with the last of the royal Targaryen court in attendance.

AFTER King Aerys, Rhaegar, Lyanna, Ellia Martell and her kids, and all of the Targ loyalists in King's Landing were dead.

Yeah, people who don't understand Dany would be Jon's aunt amuse the poo poo out of me.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

For this you need Preston Jacobs tower of joy videos. He says funny poo poo like "supporters of R + L = J really like the idea of the battle of bells being in the third month" and "based on his naming scheme, Rhaegar was expecting a daughter Visenya". He does these estimates using army marching distances. His personal theory is that Rhaegar + Lyanna = Danaerys.

As crazy as that guy's stuff is, the most mental thing is that he'd use evidence that assumes GRRM has a grasp of numbers, distances and measurements.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

esperterra posted:

Yeah, people who don't understand Dany would be Jon's aunt amuse the poo poo out of me.

It's stupid, but I can see that the confusion comes in because they're roughly the same age. Most people's think of their aunts and uncles at 20 - 40 years older than they are.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mnemosyne posted:

It's stupid, but I can see that the confusion comes in because they're roughly the same age. Most people's think of their aunts and uncles at 20 - 40 years older than they are.

I have 2nd cousins who are older than me so I never really thought too hard about it, myself. Big families have weird age gaps.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Obviously it's predicated on the idea that she isn't the real Daenerys, which is backed up by a concerning amount of evidence. Preston's "lemon trees lemon trees" sounds ridiculous until you remember the excessively pointed conversation about citrus availability between two Bravosi guardsmen.

Personally I prescribe to the "Gurm wrote six options for every 'mystery' so he could change it if people guessed' theory. Of course now he's taken so loving long we've guessed everything so he has nothing to write.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

mossyfisk posted:

Obviously it's predicated on the idea that she isn't the real Daenerys, which is backed up by a concerning amount of evidence. Preston's "lemon trees lemon trees" sounds ridiculous until you remember the excessively pointed conversation about citrus availability between two Bravosi guardsmen.

Personally I prescribe to the "Gurm wrote six options for every 'mystery' so he could change it if people guessed' theory. Of course now he's taken so loving long we've guessed everything so he has nothing to write.

Can you quote me this conversation it's not ringing any bells, at all.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Don't forget her now-dead brother. He was sure as poo poo petty enough to tell Dany "you're a bastard you aren't my sister you're my bastard niece" repeatedly.

Mnemosyne posted:

I have an uncle 14 years older than me and my youngest cousin is 16 years younger than me. :shrug:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I have an uncle that's 2 years older than me. And his kid is younger than mine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's weird as gently caress when people have families like that.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Liquid Communism posted:

Did the sequel ever get finished?

We couldn't even decide on the name.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

My first cousin is like 40 and I'm 22. Age can be confusing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Possibly Chicken posted:

My first cousin is like 40 and I'm 22. Age can be confusing.

I'm 31 and my waifu is 1000, poo poo happens.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Krinkle posted:

Can you quote me this conversation it's not ringing any bells, at all.

It's not guards it's Lem Lemoncloack asking the tavern keeper at that inn to cook the duck Anguy hunted with Lemons to which she responds that lemons don't grow that far north. Braavos is as at a much northern latitude than the river lands.

The thing is that I think it's easier to attribute Dany's apparently false memory as just grrm messing up.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why do you say things like "fam", "dog" and "moms"?

tbh fam idk

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Tyrion explicitly says "wow everyone in this city that's rich enough just buys a stupid tree that can't possibly grow naturally in this climate and builds a huge wall around it so nobody else can see it" when he visits bravos so who gives a poo poo? It's case loving closed as far as I am concerned. She hid out at bravos for a while. Who cares?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Tyrion was never in Braavos?

There's talk about the palace of the sealord and a few mansions had a few trees but generally Braavos is known to be pretty barren and harsh for vegetation. Moreover Dany doesn't describe the house she grew in as a mansion, she also remembers barefooted kids playing outside which again doesn't suggest a walled off mansion.

There's some appeal to the 'Dany was raised in Dorne' theory, though a goof is most likely. Even if Dany was raised in Dorne it doesn't really mean anything as far as has parentage is concerned, Preston's ToJ nonsense is really embarrassingly stupid.

It's pretty cool d&d are gonna destroy that theory during the next couple of monthsS

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkenstein posted:

As crazy as that guy's stuff is, the most mental thing is that he'd use evidence that assumes GRRM has a grasp of numbers, distances and measurements.

Seriously this. He's no loving tolkien who wrote entire languages for backstory. GRRM doesn't work that way. I'd be very surprised if he worked out the distances of any battles from each other. I mean it would be cool if the backstory was that rich, but IMO there is a certain resolution ( like in terms of pixels ) and zooming in past a certain point doesn't get you anything.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

kcroy posted:

tbh fam idk

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

kcroy posted:

Seriously this. He's no loving tolkien who wrote entire languages for backstory. GRRM doesn't work that way. I'd be very surprised if he worked out the distances of any battles from each other. I mean it would be cool if the backstory was that rich, but IMO there is a certain resolution ( like in terms of pixels ) and zooming in past a certain point doesn't get you anything.

What's a decent size wall? LIke, 30 ft is a big wall. How big is that? gently caress it, 500 ft is definitely big, no-one can say it ain't.

How big is a big dude? Like 6'6"? How about like, the BIGGEST dude? 7'? Okay sure yeah but instead what about an 8' guy yeah that's awesome.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
If any of you think the ToJ scene in the show is going to confirm Jon's parentage, you are going to be very disappointed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol this rules

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Kylaer posted:

Consider, for a moment, the thread in which you're asking that question.

That's why I'm asking.

It's deliciously meta.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I, personally, am convinced that there's something weird about Dany's childhood and that the red door and lemon tree stuff is significant.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

TommyGun85 posted:

If any of you think the ToJ scene in the show is going to confirm Jon's parentage, you are going to be very disappointed.

What would the point of showing the ToJ if you're not going to show Jon's parentage? Just because they thought people want to see Ned have a swordfight? It's not like show watchers even really know who Arthur Dayne is, so it's not for him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

We'll get the reveal at the end of the season, just before Dany gives a rousing speech about taking her new found Dothraki army to save Meereen.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

TommyGun85 posted:

I'm not holding out for them showing it to us this next episode, but some time this season. I don't see why the would even show the scene if not for that. It literally hasn't been referenced at all before in the show (IIRC), and unless they REALLY want to show us Howland Reed broing around with Ned I don't get the point.

IT BEGINS fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 8, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Solice Kirsk posted:

We'll get the reveal at the end of the season, just before Dany gives a rousing speech about taking her new found Dothraki army to save Meereen.

Gotta save that budget for a quick conclusion scene at the beginning of each season. Whole season of Tyrion and Varys walking around an empty city, season ends with them surrounded by Harpies. Season seven starts with a thirty second fight scene and then back to business.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

What would the point of showing the ToJ if you're not going to show Jon's parentage? Just because they thought people want to see Ned have a swordfight? It's not like show watchers even really know who Arthur Dayne is, so it's not for him.
Uh we just went over this, it's to show dany's parentage. Also meera's parentage.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Bran is just about to penetrate meera as hodor when he has a vision showing that they are cousins. He doesn't stop.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Bran is just about to penetrate meera as hodor when he has a vision showing that they are cousins. He doesn't stop.

Well if he's warged into Hodor, it's all cool. Hodor isn't her cousin.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

They could split the TOJ scene up over multiple episodes... remember that whole "you can only stay for 10 seconds" bullshit... yeah it is there for a reason.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mnemosyne posted:

Well if he's warged into Hodor, it's all cool. Hodor isn't her cousin.

I still think we will have a Ghost fucks Nymeria while both Jon/Arya are warged in scene in the book.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cavelcade posted:

What's a decent size wall? LIke, 30 ft is a big wall. How big is that? gently caress it, 500 ft is definitely big, no-one can say it ain't.

How big is a big dude? Like 6'6"? How about like, the BIGGEST dude? 7'? Okay sure yeah but instead what about an 8' guy yeah that's awesome.

I mean that is cool right? winter lasts 10 years! he writes loving fantasy - he shouldn't have to come up with the science behind it, or whatever. One of my favorite books had a money problem.. like the guy gets paid in gold, but later on you realize gold isn't valuable enough, and then in another book it is TOO valuable, etc etc. you can't get bogged down in that poo poo - forest for the trees and all that. So it bugs me when people read in super loving deep like preston does, because you don't have any assurance that the author is accurate at that depth. It's more like a water color painting, and less like a loving photo, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

kcroy posted:

I still think we will have a Ghost fucks Nymeria while both Jon/Arya are warged in scene in the book.

:barf: