Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Memento posted:

Yeah it was really good.

Question for the thread: I had a ~240 pound dude pass my guard in training the other day, by riding the inside of my thigh with his shinbone. It hurt like gently caress at the time, and still hurts a bit three days later. What are the chances of having a groin muscle strain or tear just from physical pressure on it? How can I avoid poo poo like that happening in the future? He basically had all his weight on the top of my leg and I was pinned to the ground.

If the answer is "get good", then I'll keep working on that :)

I could give you my Sensei's answer for it, which is "Never get put into that position". Then again, he has a smile that he flashes when in guard that you never forget because it turns into a soul crushing hold down afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
It's likely only a bruise. I've been in that position as a doer and receiver and generated several week bruises. I'm only 155 too so yeah a gigantic guy doing that will leave a mark. I don't think it's a major issue if you're moving ok and just experiencing soreness.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I have now tapped for the second time to a fellow white belt heel hooking me, while we're in gi sparring :wtc: After I tapped I said "Did you just heel hook me? Don't heel hook."

"Oh yeah man, don't worry I'm just doing the setup and letting it go. Its cool I asked the instructor"

In reality he was putting pressure on my knee, but we were switching partners anyway so I let it go. The rest of sparring was fine, but then I get matched up with him again, which shouldn't have happened since we have a bunch of people, but a couple dudes were doing that annoying thing where they keep talking over their roll instead of switching partners. Usually bestowing a stream of unsolicited advice.

So I roll with white belt Eddie Cummings again only this time was way more annoying because every time we reset hes going for the leg lock position where he figure fours one leg and going for toeholds, kneebars, and heel hooks. Just a real taster's choice of poo poo thats illegal at white belt and probably several levels beyond. I tap a couple times and I'm onto him now that hes doing literally the exact same entry, and now I'm grip fighting his hooks, and stacking his ankles behind his head. This dude is letting me stack him on his goddamn NECK and will not give up the position. Scramble some more and hes trying to kneebar me and I'm getting kinda pissed so I'm trying to push my knee clear with my other foot, and in the scramble I accidentally kick him in the nuts. He's rolling around in pain assuring me its no big, his fault, he should have been wearing a cup!! Round ends and sparring is over now. I'm trying to think how I should have been countering his dumb leg lock stuff. Idk maybe crank a toehold on him??

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Mr. Pool posted:

Idk maybe crank a toehold on him??

Are heel hooks generally allowed at your school? I've trained at a few places where leglocks are generally allowed at all levels, maybe he thinks it's the same?

Probably you should just explain to him that you don't want to get heelhooked because you have to work during the day. He probably didn't understand that your "don't heel hook" wasn't related to whether or not the instructor allows it.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

Mr. Pool posted:

I have now tapped for the second time to a fellow white belt heel hooking me, while we're in gi sparring :wtc: After I tapped I said "Did you just heel hook me? Don't heel hook."

"Oh yeah man, don't worry I'm just doing the setup and letting it go. Its cool I asked the instructor"

In reality he was putting pressure on my knee, but we were switching partners anyway so I let it go. The rest of sparring was fine, but then I get matched up with him again, which shouldn't have happened since we have a bunch of people, but a couple dudes were doing that annoying thing where they keep talking over their roll instead of switching partners. Usually bestowing a stream of unsolicited advice.

So I roll with white belt Eddie Cummings again only this time was way more annoying because every time we reset hes going for the leg lock position where he figure fours one leg and going for toeholds, kneebars, and heel hooks. Just a real taster's choice of poo poo thats illegal at white belt and probably several levels beyond. I tap a couple times and I'm onto him now that hes doing literally the exact same entry, and now I'm grip fighting his hooks, and stacking his ankles behind his head. This dude is letting me stack him on his goddamn NECK and will not give up the position. Scramble some more and hes trying to kneebar me and I'm getting kinda pissed so I'm trying to push my knee clear with my other foot, and in the scramble I accidentally kick him in the nuts. He's rolling around in pain assuring me its no big, his fault, he should have been wearing a cup!! Round ends and sparring is over now. I'm trying to think how I should have been countering his dumb leg lock stuff. Idk maybe crank a toehold on him??

KOB all day.

That or talk to him "Hey, dude, I know you like doing leg attacks but I'm really not comfortable defending them yet. Don't do them, don't even catch and release them. If that's asking too much you need to roll with someone else this round."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Xguard86 posted:

It's likely only a bruise. I've been in that position as a doer and receiver and generated several week bruises. I'm only 155 too so yeah a gigantic guy doing that will leave a mark. I don't think it's a major issue if you're moving ok and just experiencing soreness.

Yeah that's all it was, it took a few days for the bruise to come out but the pain has mostly gone away.

The idea of a white belt doing heel hooks scares the poo poo out of me. I like walking. Maybe we're too cautious but we don't start training leg locks of any sort until the advanced class (purple and up).

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

IT BEGINS posted:

Are heel hooks generally allowed at your school? I've trained at a few places where leglocks are generally allowed at all levels, maybe he thinks it's the same?

Probably you should just explain to him that you don't want to get heelhooked because you have to work during the day. He probably didn't understand that your "don't heel hook" wasn't related to whether or not the instructor allows it.

One other time somebody heel hooked me and I asked him not to do that, and then he didn't try it again. Outside of that I've never run into any leg locks while sparring, we just don't really train them so it hasn't been an issue. I should have told him to knock it off the second time, since his idea of "catch and release" was clearly off the mark.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

WayneCampbell posted:

KOB all day.

That or talk to him "Hey, dude, I know you like doing leg attacks but I'm really not comfortable defending them yet. Don't do them, don't even catch and release them. If that's asking too much you need to roll with someone else this round."

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
If he is doing the same entry every time then learn how to shut that down. I'd ask other folks there too who have rolled with him to see what's up too.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
are you a whitebelt too? in that case all you should've told him is ''i'm only interested in practicing ibjjf legal leglocks at our level right now''. if not and you're actually at a higher level (purple or something) I would make it clear to him that he should ask BEFORE the roll if he wants to do leglocks. You could've just told him to focus on the basics to work more gi bjj.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
A can opener is going to shut down 99% of sloppy leglock stuff so do that.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Use my toe hold defense. Spam heel kicks with your free leg in the general vicinity of your trapped foot. If one "accidently" catches him in the face well that's the cost of doing business now isn't it?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

ch3cooh posted:

Spam heel kicks with your free leg in the general vicinity of your trapped foot. If one "accidently" catches him in the face well that's the cost of doing business now isn't it?

I'd be ready to incur your own costs if you keep doing poo poo like this.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Just get heavy on the leg their attacking and come up on top of them, stuff their knee, and go into mount. A white belt isn't going to be able to hold you in single x very well and when you're rolling with that guy just expect him to be dropping back for your legs and be ready to pop up and smash him.

Whenever I run into leg lock guys (not saying there aren't legit leg lock people out there, I just think a lot of low level guys use them to try to be cool and as a crutch for having no passing game) at my gym I just kinda roll my eyes and go with it. Unless they're cranking on heal hooks or toe holds I usually don't get too bothered by it.

FreddyJackieTurner fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 5, 2016

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I would not feel comfortable defending leg attacks from a white belt even if I could stuff them every time, poo poo can go wrong when someone is inexperienced but really eager to win every roll.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
but the same could be said about armbars and kimuras no?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Attending a seminar done by Carlson Gracie Jr tonight, not really sure what to expect.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Attending a seminar done by Carlson Gracie Jr tonight, not really sure what to expect.

He showed us a nice sequence starting from top to pass and then take the back. He then told us stories. Memes on the internet led me to believe it's the most stereotypical brazilian seminar in the world.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Yeah he will show something really basic and go over the finer details. With that said Carlson is a strange guy..

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

origami posted:

Yeah he will show something really basic and go over the finer details. With that said Carlson is a strange guy..

Howso?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
When you consider that basically of the Gracies from that generation were raised on a giant ranch where all they did was farmwork and training all the time along with trips into town to teach, it's a wonder they aren't weirder.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Keg posted:

Howso?

he came off as the weird uncle - abnormal mannerisms and a strange lilting laugh/chuckle

didn't seem like a prick or anything though

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Odddzy posted:

but the same could be said about armbars and kimuras no?

The margin of error for a leg lock doing major structural damage to your knee is much smaller than armbars and kimuras for elbows and shoulders.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The margin of error for a leg lock doing major structural damage to your knee is much smaller than armbars and kimuras for elbows and shoulders.

Look, I don't disagree, but if the whitebelt is doing heelhooks (catch and hold or whatever) without anyone giving him permission he should be TOLD to stop in no uncertain terms. If then he doesn't stop, were in a whole other problem and the instructor should immediately meet up with him and tell him he's on thin ice.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Cox, Maroulis, and Augello qualified over the weekend. So the list of weights not qualified for the USA is down to...

Weights that still need to be qualified:
Men’s freestyle:
65 kg/143 lbs. – Frank Molinaro, State College, Pa. (Nittany Lion WC)
Greco-Roman
59 kg/130 lbs. – Jesse Thielke, Germantown, Wis. (New York AC/OTC)
66 kg/145.5 lbs. – RaVaughn Perkins, Omaha, Neb. (New York AC/OTC)
98 kg/215 lbs. – Joe Rau, Minneapolis, Minn. (Minnesota Storm)
Women’s freestyle
58 kg/128 lbs. – Kelsey Campbell, Tempe, Ariz. (Sunkist Kids)
69 kg/152 lbs. – Tamyra Mensah, Katy, Texas (Titan Mercury WC/OTC)

With just one event left to claim a spot.

Jesse Theilke has secured a spot in the top two at the last chance qualifier. He'll wrestle in the finals shortly but is going to the Olympics whether he wins or loses. There's a free stream here if anybody wants to watch. Men's Freestyle and Women's Freestyle still have yet to go this weekend with some Team USA members trying to secure a spot.

The US Greco-Roman team for the Olympics is going to be:
75 kg/165 lbs. – Andy Bisek, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Minnesota Storm)
85 kg/187.25 lbs. – Ben Provisor, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)
130 kg/286 lbs. – Robby Smith, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)

USA won't be represented at the Olympics in Greco Roman at 66kg and 98kg

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
https://twitter.com/ryrongracie/status/728668619241099264

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

What's a good measure of grip strength? I'm curious as I was able to death grip like a crab when I rolled due to having huge hands, working in kitchens my whole life, and playing bass. Seemed to mean I could hold on to things.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Buy a Captain of Crush?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
everybody post their hand size

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Captain Log posted:

What's a good measure of grip strength? I'm curious as I was able to death grip like a crab when I rolled due to having huge hands, working in kitchens my whole life, and playing bass. Seemed to mean I could hold on to things.

idk but there was this grippy thing we used for one of my electives in college for measuring grip strength. i had the #2 record in our school behind some guy that was an olympic discus thrower while i was just some kid that death gripped my turgid wiener every day

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

origami posted:

Yeah it was pretty much this. Two straight hours of passing half-guard at a rather relaxed tone with no sparring at the end, probably more my pace than one hour of technique (of varying difficulty) followed by one hour of getting smashed by everyone in sparring.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

I like to picture Thoguh as Steve Carell's John du Pont character with his obsession with collegiate and olympic wrestling.

FreddyJackieTurner fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 7, 2016

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Jesse Theilke has secured a spot in the top two at the last chance qualifier. He'll wrestle in the finals shortly but is going to the Olympics whether he wins or loses. There's a free stream here if anybody wants to watch. Men's Freestyle and Women's Freestyle still have yet to go this weekend with some Team USA members trying to secure a spot.

The US Greco-Roman team for the Olympics is going to be:
75 kg/165 lbs. – Andy Bisek, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Minnesota Storm)
85 kg/187.25 lbs. – Ben Provisor, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)
130 kg/286 lbs. – Robby Smith, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)

USA won't be represented at the Olympics in Greco Roman at 66kg and 98kg

Gonna keep quoting myself. Both the women are in the bronze medal matches but you have to place in the top 2 so they are out. The women's Olympic team for the US will be...

48 kg/105.5 lbs. – Haley Augello, Lockport, Ill. (New York AC/OTC)
53 kg/116.5 lbs. – Helen Maroulis, Huntington Beach, Calif. (Sunkist Kids)
63 kg/138.75 lbs. – Elena Pirozhkova, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Titan Mercury WC)
75 kg/165 lbs. – Adeline Gray, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)

USA will not be represented at the Olympics at 58kg or 69kg in Women's freestyle. Men's Freestyle is tommorow and the US will try to qualify their last weight, 65kg.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Got 2nd in my first IBJJF tournament today

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

JaySB posted:

yeah it's pretty sweet when you get a two man division

(but seriously, congrats)

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 8, 2016

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

JaySB posted:

Baller, grats. What were your matches like?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

IT BEGINS posted:

Baller, grats. What were your matches like?

Thanks. I'm super heavy and 5'7" so basically everyone is taller by a good bit. First match was Rob Gronkowski's Canadian twin, super strong aggressive guy, he shot for the takedown I stuffed it and went to his back, he rolled to guard, I passed and mounted. Ended up beating him 17-0 on points.

Second match I basically got my rear end kicked. I was pretty gassed from my first match and went for a pretty poor leg sweep that after a scramble ended up with me in bottom side control. The guy basically held me there for a while, I was able to work to half guard and get a reversal but when I went for mount I messed up and got swept and mounted.

It was my first tournament so it was a pretty good learning experience and I came away knowing what part of my game I need to work on.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

yeah it's pretty sweet when you get a two man division

3 man :smug:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Wangsbig posted:

idk but there was this grippy thing we used for one of my electives in college for measuring grip strength. i had the #2 record in our school behind some guy that was an olympic discus thrower while i was just some kid that death gripped my turgid wiener every day

That's pretty cool. I'd be curious to mess with one. I bet grip strength is probably just a natural thing. I can't imagine the muscles that effect it could get all that jacked.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Captain Log posted:

That's pretty cool. I'd be curious to mess with one. I bet grip strength is probably just a natural thing. I can't imagine the muscles that effect it could get all that jacked.

Please add "muscle development" to the list of things you don't understand at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Captain Log posted:

Spend a couple of months on a farm milking a dozen cows every day by hand and report back with how ridiculous your forearms have become.