Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

kcroy posted:

I still think we will have a Ghost fucks Nymeria while both Jon/Arya are warged in scene in the book.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mnemosyne posted:

Well if he's warged into Hodor, it's all cool. Hodor isn't her cousin.

his aunt is also warged in hodor

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

you can't judge their love. no one can.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

kcroy posted:

I mean that is cool right? winter lasts 10 years! he writes loving fantasy - he shouldn't have to come up with the science behind it, or whatever. One of my favorite books had a money problem.. like the guy gets paid in gold, but later on you realize gold isn't valuable enough, and then in another book it is TOO valuable, etc etc. you can't get bogged down in that poo poo - forest for the trees and all that. So it bugs me when people read in super loving deep like preston does, because you don't have any assurance that the author is accurate at that depth. It's more like a water color painting, and less like a loving photo, you know?

lol you should check the harry potter thread

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

kcroy posted:

you can't judge their love. no one can.

I mean, that's multiple levels of incest, from the wolves on down.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hogge Wild posted:

lol you should check the harry potter thread

honestly I had to listen to my moms theories about Harry for a loving decade, I can do without. I get your point though.

davecrazy posted:

I mean, that's multiple levels of incest, from the wolves on down.

Like a hot stack of pancakes

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

kcroy posted:

honestly I had to listen to my moms theories about Harry for a loving decade, I can do without. I get your point though.

I feel your pain. It's a loving children's series, I should be the one still reading it, not you!

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Cavelcade posted:

How big is a big dude? Like 6'6"? How about like, the BIGGEST dude? 7'? Okay sure yeah but instead what about an 8' guy yeah that's awesome.

Gregor is "closer to 8 feet than he is to 7" which could mean anything above seven six which could still be within the realistic though extremely exceptional range.

Yao Ming is seven and a half feet tall, and he's a professional athlete with some serious muscle mass, sure he isn't as massive as Gregor and his knees gave out due to how big he is but really one dude like Gregor (who is also hinted to suffer from Gigantism and a likely lethal brain tumor to go along with it) is not imo an example of gurm doing numbers wrong.

Edit: I'd imagine fighting (usually from horse back) is actually less taxing on one's massive physique than NBA level basketball, you don't grind out your knee ligaments quite as much when you just drop your heavy loving sword on twerps like you do constantly running around and pivoting on a court. Really when he fights Oberyn we see that Greg can't actually keep up with that level of movement, which is realistic as he has to move around like 300 kg of Gregor + armor as he tries to close the range on Oberyn who is unencumbered and light on his feet.

emanresu tnuocca fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 8, 2016

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I imagine Clegane as Andre the Giant, except except skilled from birth as a soldier and a sociopath.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Solice Kirsk posted:

We'll get the reveal at the end of the season, just before Dany gives a rousing speech about taking her new found Dothraki army to save Meereen.

:negative: OMG you're right.

kcroy posted:

I still think we will have a Ghost fucks Nymeria while both Jon/Arya are warged in scene in the book.

This is pretty much the GRRMiest thing ever, so even if it's not in the book you know it's on his Wordstar under "ADoS plot outline" with nothing else but that.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
how many other known mermen are there in addition to varys?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Hogge Wild posted:

how many other known mermen are there in addition to varys?

Wyman Manderly is a red herring. It's too obvious. Varys is the only confirmed merman.

Also, without watching season 5 again, where's Sam? I vaguely recall he left the Wall, but my book brain remembers he went to Braavos with Aemon, but my show brain remembers they killed off Aemon while he was at the Wall.

Apparently Randy Tarly is in the show this week or next, so I'm banking on some dumbass reunion episode where Sam tries to tell his dickhole dad about all the crazy poo poo happening in the north and his dad will be like "you're fat and gay and making up dumb stories bitch" just so Sam has something to do this season.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

davecrazy posted:

I imagine Clegane as Andre the Giant, except except skilled from birth as a soldier and a sociopath.

Yeah, when Andre was younger he was pretty fit and fast on his feet.

It wasn't until his back started going out and he put on a ton of weight (mostly from his drinking habit) that he turned into the lumbering giant people remember from WWF.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

kcroy posted:

Let's just take it to its full extreme and Ghost fucks Arya while Nymeria fucks Jon as they're warged. They have furry babies, the realm weeps, the end.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The actual best thing the show could do with incest is having bran time warg into a young jaime lannister, and, overwhelmed by adult hormones, seduce the first woman he sees. This is of course cersei, thereby guaranteeing his own fall from the tower and his journey north. This is uh, thematic because uh, it's like poetry, it rhymes.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I like how comparing a writer to george lucas is a burn now. I like that he's synonymous with lazy hack too popular for his own good.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, when Andre was younger he was pretty fit and fast on his feet.

It wasn't until his back started going out and he put on a ton of weight (mostly from his drinking habit) that he turned into the lumbering giant people remember from WWF.

Put that in plate mail and have them wielding a zweihander (with one hand) and it'd be pretty terrifying. Hell even guys like Dave Bautista look massive when you meet them in person and Bautista's "only" 6'6" by comparison.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Krinkle posted:

I like how comparing a writer to george lucas is a burn now. I like that he's synonymous with lazy hack too popular for his own good.

Really they're polar opposites but so extremely alike.

Lucas spent two days writing a first draft for his movie and then filmed that first draft because he felt it was the perfect representation of his vision of a cartoon rabbit stepping in poop then watching another animal poop.

GRRM spent 11 years writing and rewriting a book so that he could get the perfect representation of his vision of a princess taking a dump.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Andre was probably around 7'. Yao Ming is 7'6" which is ridiculously gigantic already but GRRM went for 8'. I know there have been 8' people but I think it was him not really having a grasp on numbers and heights and taking wrestlers' listed heights at face value.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Gregor wasn't 8 feet tall I just sperged about that ten posts ago.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cavelcade posted:

Andre was probably around 7'. Yao Ming is 7'6" which is ridiculously gigantic already but GRRM went for 8'. I know there have been 8' people but I think it was him not really having a grasp on numbers and heights and taking wrestlers' listed heights at face value.

Here's Väinö Myllyrinne when he was touring Europe as a wrestler in the thirties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8tlAiaYfQ4

In this pic he's serving as a conscript in the Heavy Artillery Regiment when he was 20 years old and just 7'4":

He worked in a grenade factory where he used to carry 80kg oxygen canisters in both hands.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hogge Wild posted:

Here's Väinö Myllyrinne when he was touring Europe as a wrestler in the thirties:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8tlAiaYfQ4

In this pic he's serving as a conscript in the Heavy Artillery Regiment when he was 20 years old and just 7'4":

He worked in a grenade factory where he used to carry 80kg oxygen canisters in both hands.

Yes, maybe GRRM should have made him half a foot smaller and then it wouldn't be amusing. Like, on its own it'd be fine but GRRM is just awful at numbers and knowing how big things are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
GRRM didn't even create a complete World Map until 16 years after the first book was released, he doesn't give a gently caress.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

GRRM didn't even create a complete World Map until 16 years after the first book was released, he doesn't give a gently caress.

that's actually a smart move

when i'm going to write my magnum opus and be the next tolkien my map will look like a genuine medieval map:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Not like there weren't gently caress off huge dudes back in the day in real life. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sancho_VII_of_Navarre

This guy had a sword that's 7' long and weighs drat near 15lbs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pier_Gerlofs_Donia

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

i wish more fantasy series didn't get all hung up on "world building" and producing maps and poo poo. how many sci-fi series have starcharts and dumb bullshit like that.

that medieval style map idea by hogge wild is a big step up tho.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

kcroy posted:

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

that's actually a smart move

when i'm going to write my magnum opus and be the next tolkien my map will look like a genuine medieval map:

Some fella out there did an ASOIAF map in that style. I don't generally go for fan art, but I think it's pretty loving good. The guy goes by Other-in-Law in some circles.

http://i.imgur.com/HNnKHew.jpg

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

is it out yet

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Smiling Jack posted:

is it out yet

Yes, and it will blow your mind.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Smiling Jack posted:

is it out yet

Yes. Keep the blindfold on and start sucking.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Some fella out there did an ASOIAF map in that style. I don't generally go for fan art, but I think it's pretty loving good. The guy goes by Other-in-Law in some circles.

http://i.imgur.com/HNnKHew.jpg

that's way better than what's in the books.

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
Lol Rickon finally shows up out of nowhere

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hahaha, that jump cut from alive Ollie to dead Ollie is so bad. He immediately turned green.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
The Tower of Joy scene was retarded. Arthur Dayne pulls out two swords and starts spinning them around and trying to be flashy for no reason. It looked like the Star Wars prequel lightsaber fights, where the people making it think it looks cool and badass but it's just a wet turd.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
LOL, Arthur Dayne died from a cheap shot from Howland Reed.

LOL, Rickon isn't the Cannibal King of Skaagos, he was just chilling with the Umbers.

LOL, they're actually doing the "well technically I'm released from my vows" Jon Snow rules lawyering.

Eat poo poo book readers. It's going in the worst direction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hahaha, that jump cut from alive Ollie to dead Ollie is so bad. He immediately turned green.

Alliser's bloated dead face was the best part of the episode. That actor was the most perfectly cast unlikable rear end in a top hat.

And Arya's 36 Chambers of Shaolin was pretty dope.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If seeing what HBO and D&D are doing to his precious Magnum Opus doesn't inspire GRRM to get his rear end in gear and write some loving books then nothing ever will.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
And OH MY GOD, that Tower of Joy scene.

You've got the two greatest swordsmen who ever lived, wielding the two most baller swords in the known world, Ice and Dawn, and what does the show do? Dayne has two twirly regular swords and Ned fights like a baby with a cheap bastard sword.

And remember season one? Ned vs. Jaime? Supposedly the two best living swordsmen and Ned gets taken down by some goon's cheap shot.

Now they show Dayne died by being shanked by Howland Reed.

IT'S

POETRY

IT

RHYMES

:unsmigghh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
At least the Tower of Joy fight was choreographed better than Bron vs. The Staggering Snakes.

Jon's "gently caress it I died my watched ended" walkout was really loving obvious and a given for any revival.

Rickon showing up and Shaggydog being killed is kinda.. eh well I guess that wraps up one plot thread since Ramsay's certain to torture and kill Rickon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
RIP Shaggydog. :(