Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Gagamaru is dangerously close to getting demoted to juryo. It would be a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
The only other rikishi that makes sense in that komusubi spot to me is Myogiryu. 1 less win than Kaisei but he was M6E to Kaisei's M7W.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Kanthulhu posted:

Gagamaru is dangerously close to getting demoted to juryo. It would be a shame.

He really should have lost some weight a long time ago. At this point it's hindering him more than it's helping him.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Gagamaru is maybe the only rikishi I tend to root against. It's not that I always root for the smaller rikishi as the underdog, but like someone else said awhile back, sometimes Gagamaru doesn't seem to be much stronger than any other 500 lb. guy. Forget lateral movement, he was losing soundly in straightforward pushing contests this basho.

Mr. Fix It posted:

If you go 8-7, they have to promote you. Combine that with one decent basho at a high Maegashira rank, you hit Komusubi. The "real" san'yaku ranks have stricter requirements. So, no, it's not odd for a long-time rank-and-filer that hasn't done a whole lot but avoid getting sent down to Juryo to be Komusubi. They tend to get thrashed since they go up against the real elites, tho.
Yeah, I was under the impression that until you get to the ranks where they vote to promote you, the ranking system is almost entirely mechanistic with little room for politics.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Halloween Jack posted:

Gagamaru is maybe the only rikishi I tend to root against. It's not that I always root for the smaller rikishi as the underdog, but like someone else said awhile back, sometimes Gagamaru doesn't seem to be much stronger than any other 500 lb. guy. Forget lateral movement, he was losing soundly in straightforward pushing contests this basho.

Yeah, I was under the impression that until you get to the ranks where they vote to promote you, the ranking system is almost entirely mechanistic with little room for politics.

Yes , typically. There is some wiggle room and this banzuke demonstrates it. Like takarafuji going down only 1 ranking with 6 wins, aoiyama and aminishiki staying put etc. This is because most of the promotees were going to a career high rank and they generally under promote in that situation.

Speaking of Aoiyama, he lost 14kg since last basho! Maybe he'll do something? He got 8 wins at sekiwake once...

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Yes , typically. There is some wiggle room and this banzuke demonstrates it. Like takarafuji going down only 1 ranking with 6 wins, aoiyama and aminishiki staying put etc. This is because most of the promotees were going to a career high rank and they generally under promote in that situation.

Speaking of Aoiyama, he lost 14kg since last basho! Maybe he'll do something? He got 8 wins at sekiwake once...

All that's going to do for Aoiyama is force him to buy new bras.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
https://twitter.com/itoi_shigesato/status/727758793023574016

Pretty good photo.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
When is the next basho?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Kanthulhu posted:

When is the next basho?

Sunday May 8th JST, or Saturday night in most of North America.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
FYI videos are probably going to be hard to come by this time around. The kyoukai cut their $120-per-basho video stream after the last tournament (with their usual PR acumen they put a single line announcement on the official website that more or less literally just says 'The streaming service will end. Thank you for your support.'), so it's down to crappy streams from Mongolian TV unless someone in Japan can provide Kintamayama with footage of either NHK or some new pay-per-view service that Softbank will apparently be running.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Oh, and it looks like something pretty bad is going on with the Nishikido Stable. Six out of their eight wrestlers didn't participate in the first day, including Homarenishiki (the Canadian guy), and one of the regulars on Sumo Forum who has contacts inside the Sumo world is hinting at there being a major problem that will publicly break sometime soon.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Apraxin posted:

Oh, and it looks like something pretty bad is going on with the Nishikido Stable. Six out of their eight wrestlers didn't participate in the first day, including Homarenishiki (the Canadian guy), and one of the regulars on Sumo Forum who has contacts inside the Sumo world is hinting at there being a major problem that will publicly break sometime soon.

What's the over/under on someone getting beaten to death again?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Apraxin posted:

FYI videos are probably going to be hard to come by this time around. The kyoukai cut their $120-per-basho video stream after the last tournament (with their usual PR acumen they put a single line announcement on the official website that more or less literally just says 'The streaming service will end. Thank you for your support.')

Business wizards, these guys. I wonder how long it will take until someone young enough who actually has some loving clue of what the internet is can come along and have enough power to unfuck things.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Dr.Radical posted:

Business wizards, these guys. I wonder how long it will take until someone young enough who actually has some loving clue of what the internet is can come along and have enough power to unfuck things.
japan.txt

Don't hold your breath.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVIFilM8ep8

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I have an HDD I'm recording the days to via my TV. I'll fiddle around and see if I can send something to Kintamayama. My only apprehension is that I might not always be able to give it to him on time. I don't want to be put in a position where I'm expected to come through for everyone. I'll see what the deal is, though.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

I have an HDD I'm recording the days to via my TV. I'll fiddle around and see if I can send something to Kintamayama. My only apprehension is that I might not always be able to give it to him on time. I don't want to be put in a position where I'm expected to come through for everyone. I'll see what the deal is, though.
Kinta himself seems like he'd be understanding of it not being a permanent arrangement. Maybe if you asked him to just refer to you as an anonymous source, and to make it clear that you won't be doing it every day? That would hopefully keep The Internet form bothering you about it.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Welp, never mind. Hooking up the HD to my TV for the purpose of recording things reformatted it and apparently my computer won't even recognize it when I plug it in. Seems like some bullshit but I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing at all.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnzdHye-kwc
Day 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnQRJ0wq-gI

Sadanomi-Daieisho takes Day 2 MOTN in a wild one, while Ikioi-Terunofuji takes Day 3 MOTN.

WTF is that on Tochiozan? :stonk:

Aminishiki :smith:

Nishikigi has been impressive in his makuuchi debut so far.

Kotoyuki's screwed if they won't let him cheat the tachi-ai anymore.

Oooh... shitatehineri. That's a new one.

anakha fucked around with this message at 14:17 on May 10, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

anakha posted:

WTF is that on Tochiozan? :stonk:

You mean that big open sore looking thing? I was wondering that myself. Goeido had a similar thing last tournament but it was on his rear end. Having big open sores like that is like a bacterial thing or something, right? Doesn't seem normal.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know much about how a sumo stable really works, so I always wonder how modern their training methods are.

Abrasions must be a regular part of sumo training, but I hope to God they're not letting guys walk around with open staph infections.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Welp, these feeds are depressing.

Kyokai needs to get their act together and provide a Kintamayama-like, spoiler-free digest every morning on the sumo app. It's nice that the clips are in HD and all, but there's no point following the sport if you're going to be greeted with a giant sign telling you who won and with a freeze frame of the actual kimarite. Not to mention that you have to start each clip manually. They'd sell so many more subscriptions on the app if it could be a substitute for Youtube.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Dr.Radical posted:

You mean that big open sore looking thing? I was wondering that myself. Goeido had a similar thing last tournament but it was on his rear end. Having big open sores like that is like a bacterial thing or something, right? Doesn't seem normal.

It's basically road rash, the practice rings are really hard clay. If you ever walked on dirt that's been baking in the sun it's like that. They spread loose stuff out and water it down but it dries up over a day and poo poo happens.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Jesus it looked like aminishiiki had a heart attack and died in the middle of the ring for a second.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

drat, six months recovery time (that Kintamayama was writing in his commentary) for Aminishiki's Achilles tendon injury is pretty goddamn brutal given how the promotion and relegation goes. Certainly down to Makushita and as he wrote, possibly something to end a career for - he's already 37 after all. It would be a drat shame, he's one of the more entertaining wrestlers for sure.

Also feeling it for Amuuru, who'se definitely down to Juryo and maybe more with the knee injury. Def rooting for the "lighter guys" in the top league, and he was fighting with a good spirit for the last year or so.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
If it is any consolation Aminishiki will definitely be very visible in other positions after retirement and will probably end up in the booth a lot because he's got a good wit.

Though I feel your pain because he's my favorite.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Day 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8LeevUafrY

E: Kotoyuki-Ikioi takes MOTN, but overall match quality seemed kinda eh today.

Giku :ughh:

That Kakuryu barely-shitatenage finish :lol:

Shodai's first Hakuho experience goes just about as expected.

anakha fucked around with this message at 12:46 on May 11, 2016

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

The fact that you considered Kotoyuki v Ikioi as the MOTN really tells how poor of a showing that was yesterday.

The end of Aminishiki is as sinking a feeling as it was when Baruto's knee went out for what was obviously going to be the last time. But I agree, we're only around the halfway point of Aminishiki's involvement in sumo at minimum.

Depending on how much his heart is in sumo, there's an offchance that the beginning of Amuuru's end is here as well.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Dr.Radical posted:

Welp, never mind. Hooking up the HD to my TV for the purpose of recording things reformatted it and apparently my computer won't even recognize it when I plug it in. Seems like some bullshit but I'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing at all.

What kind of TV do you have? I can probably help you sort this out.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Nishigiki's looking pretty good so far in his first Makuuchi basho. Looking at his record I guess he's had to work hard to get to the top, rather than racing through the divisions like some of the new promotions recently, so he stands a chance of having good enough technique to stay up.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
kotoyuki is hilariously slow putting his hands down

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Pvt. Public posted:

What kind of TV do you have? I can probably help you sort this out.

A Japanese TV.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 5 (and late): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYJn1a6rIVk

Hakkiyoi! Ikioi!

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Day 6 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb9LNVdVYVU

Some snoozers, but some really good battles in there. Oosuna and Ikioi as usual were involved in two of them.

Kisenosato looks really strong so far, but if he wrestles the way he is currently (very patiently) against the Yokozuna, he'll crash and burn in the last 5 days.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-sumo-matchup-centuries-in-the-making/

FiveThirtyEight posted:

A legend of Japan’s Edo period, Raiden set a standard for greatness in the sport that would last hundreds of years. With centuries separating the two legends’ careers, Raiden vs. Hakuho may be one of the most time-bending sports comparisons imaginable.

Fortunately, we have data.

This is awesome.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
got into a sumo discussion with some of my buddies because of that article. mostly talking about henkas - anyone know some particularly cool henkas/henka failures I can show them?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Goddamn that is awesome.

JoeRules posted:

got into a sumo discussion with some of my buddies because of that article. mostly talking about henkas - anyone know some particularly cool henkas/henka failures I can show them?

Someone tried to henka Kotoshogiku in the last year I think, and got smacked in the face and disposed of quickly. I'll keep searching.

e: sorry man, I got nothing

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 14, 2016

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Very cool. The author also wins points by accurately translating Hakuho's name. It's not White Phoenix goddamn it. A peng is not a phoenix! We also get a quote from that jackass Mark Buckton calling for Hakuho to resign. I think he'll be disappointed...

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, that article calling for Hakuho to resign was so abrasive it could have been written by Stephen A. Smith and I wouldn't have been surprised at all.

Day 7: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nEvIU5MxPY

E: Shohozan-Oosunaarashi was fun and Kaisei-Okinomi was suspenseful, but Yoshikaze-Goeido takes MOTN for being loving nuts.

Good defense by Nishikigi against Toyonoshima.

Terunofuji REALLY needs to back out of this basho.

If Ikioi can get out of this first week with a 4-4 record, I'd consider that impressive given who he's faced so far.

Kotoyuki :stare:

Strangely tentative Hakuho shows up again today.

anakha fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Seriously, what is up with Terunofuji? Hasn't he been wrestling hurt for something like four or five bashos in a row now? I'm pretty sure he would have been kadoban but shouldn't he have just taken this basho off to heal? This can't be good for his long term career.

Happy that Kisenosato remains unbeaten. I don't see him taking on all three yokozuna without a loss, especially Hakuho, but I'm rooting for him.