Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
1:

Blinkman987 posted:

Waterproof socks exist?!?!?

2:

I Am Not Spor posted:

Waterproof boots are where it's at imo. Gotta have that ankle support and be able to walk through water and mud. If I were backpacking UL then I'd do shoes with water proof socks, but I'm too rugged (poor) to do that.

In slightly related news, I just bought 3 pairs of Darn Tough socks from Backcountry.com - free shipping on orders over $50*, and the socks were $3 cheaper than amazon each. Still though, $20 socks sting, just about as much as Saxx ($20 underwear when on sale) do, but if these are as good as my Saxx are ... a good investment indeed.

Looking forward to field camp with these, my Saxx, and some ultralight smartwool if I need 'em.

*Edit: free TWO-day shipping. Regular shipping is also free when >$50, but ... why would you do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I Am Not Spor posted:

Waterproof boots are where it's at imo. Gotta have that ankle support and be able to walk through water and mud. If I were backpacking UL then I'd do shoes with water proof socks, but I'm too rugged (poor) to do that.

We tried to backpack Yolla Bolly last weekend but had to turn around because the roads were either collapsed or covered in snow. Camped instead. We bought permits for the deserted side of Desolation Wilderness over Memorial Day weekend to ease the pain and suffering of Yolla Bolly's failure.

There's a deserted side of Desolation Wilderness? I always heard it was all crowded compared to like Emigrant

I need to come up with a contingency plan in case the snow is still too high in June for my planned Yosemite trip...maybe something lower in Yosemite or maybe one of the nearby wildernesses.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

No, denied access to Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness!!?! I stayed in a fire cabin there one time, was rad

My car made it around that, but there was another collapse a mile ahead that I couldn't get around, and when we got back down to the bottom of Indian Dick Road the people we asked said it was like that all the way up to the trail heads. The M2 and M4 were apparently covered in snow drifts that trucks couldn't get passed.

Levitate posted:

There's a deserted side of Desolation Wilderness? I always heard it was all crowded compared to like Emigrant

Loon Lake trail head :ssh: Once you get into Desolation there's a roughly 6 mile stretch of trail with no lakes and there's no way to do a loop so people don't go that way. We're going with beginners so we might set up camp at Rubicon Reservoir and do a day hike out to Schmidell.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looking for a thin, flat, no drop, no support, no cushion shoe.

I have a pair of NB Minimus but the tread is wearing out after just a few months.

Other recommendations?

e: no toe shoes

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ended up buying a bunch of poo poo at rei, thanks for the recommendations goons. Still need an actual backpack but I needed everything else for Fruita this weekend, should be fun.

Also went to a REI garage sale this passed weekend and was super disappointed, are they usually hit or miss our did I probably show up to late? Opened at 7 I was there at 720 to lines... Send like most of the gear had serious defects (sleeping bags with tears spewing down everywhere, trekking poles that wouldn't lock etc).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a pair of NB Minimus but the tread is wearing out after just a few months.

Other recommendations?

I dont think those two things go together. Anything with a thin sole like you want is going to wear out quickly. Especially when you add some backpack weight.

I guess you could look at like track running shoes that are super thin and light. Or go the Teva sandle route.

Feedbacker
Nov 20, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

Other recommendations?

Merrell Trail Glove 3, or Bare Access 4 for slightly more but still minimal cushion. Both are zero drop. My Bare Access Trails are a year old and both the tread and the uppers have held up very well.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

In slightly related news, I just bought 3 pairs of Darn Tough socks from Backcountry.com - free shipping on orders over $50*, and the socks were $3 cheaper than amazon each. Still though, $20 socks sting, just about as much as Saxx ($20 underwear when on sale) do, but if these are as good as my Saxx are ... a good investment indeed.

Looking forward to field camp with these, my Saxx, and some ultralight smartwool if I need 'em.

*Edit: free TWO-day shipping. Regular shipping is also free when >$50, but ... why would you do that.

In case you didn't know, you can get a free replacement or full refund on Darn Tough socks if you get holes or whatever. You just send 'em in and they send you a new pair.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

dedian posted:

In case you didn't know, you can get a free replacement or full refund on Darn Tough socks if you get holes or whatever. You just send 'em in and they send you a new pair.

I did - but what i do now know is: do I need to register or anything? I feel like a dummy because I didn't know I got free replacement on my Tilly's hat, but forgot to register and now can't, so I don't believe I get the benefit.

My buddy just bought some darn tough socks and tested them on our Santa Rosa trip, that and the input from this thread made me buy them.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
In other news: San Miguel Island is now reopened to the public!

I HAVE A MIGHTY NEED.

I'm thinking I'll go out there as soon as I get back from field camp.

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

I did - but what i do now know is: do I need to register or anything? I feel like a dummy because I didn't know I got free replacement on my Tilly's hat, but forgot to register and now can't, so I don't believe I get the benefit.

My buddy just bought some darn tough socks and tested them on our Santa Rosa trip, that and the input from this thread made me buy them.

As far as I can tell, no. You fill out their form and send them in and you get a new pair back. http://darntough.com/about-us/our-guarantee

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

dedian posted:

As far as I can tell, no. You fill out their form and send them in and you get a new pair back. http://darntough.com/about-us/our-guarantee

Nice. Thanks! I'm being lazy.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

dedian posted:

That's it, I've finally been convinced. Just bought five pairs of Darn Tough crew socks at Pike to Peak. They've got several pairs on sale for 10$ apiece, with free shipping/no tax after 35$, and a 10% coupon code plus 5$ in instantly usable store credit when you sign up for their mailing list (received code/points instantly). Just a heads up, if anyone else is in the market right now. I think my total for five pairs was ~42$

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
I was really sad until I clicked the link.

I don't think women's socks will fit my hairy manfeet, and the men's socks are not the tall hiking socks I bought. Phoneposting, so no link from me.

Though I'm sure their low cut socks are great too.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I was happy to see they have some light socks, I've only gotten heavy hiking socks from darn tough before.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I just bought three pairs of their low padded light hiking socks from Massdrop. I wore a pair around the house the other day and they seemed really well padded and cool. I dont think I will replace my daily wear Smartwools with them, but I have high hopes that they will be cool and comfy enough to replace the paper thin Wrightsock summer socks I currently use for summer hiking.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

dedian posted:

A lot of mom and pop shops will even do the exchange for you. My local outdoor store will take Darn Toughs with holes and give me brand new ones on the spot. Then they deal with the exchange. That way you don't have to pay the $2 shipping to send your socks back to DT.

Pro tip: Raid hiker boxes along long distance trails for Darn Tough socks with holes then exchange them for brand new socks. Bam! Free socks!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
At least personally, the ratio of socks that I had to retire do to holes versus the ones that have just disappeared into the Sock Dimension is probably close to 1:100.

In fact, the only socks I've ever owned that i recall getting holes are the super lightweight Wrightsocks that i wear in the summer.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My wool dress socks always got holes quickly, so seeing that darn tough would replace theirs is pretty enticing.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
My cabelas will liner socks have lasted a few years with no signs of wear buy I also I only wear them hiking. I'll start buying darn tough when I need more socks.

Also keep your toe nails short. You mentioned holes in your socks which made me think of this. The longer the nail the easier it is to damage. If you stub it on a rock or a root hard enough, you can damage the nail bed causing a blood blister which will push the nail off. FYI it takes more than a year for it to grow back. If you have a strong stomach Google "subungal hematoma". Warning ... it's disgusting.

It's a throbbing pain that isn't very fun and requires lancing to drain the blood then the nail eventually comes falls off. Not recommended in the backcountry as you could easily infect it the toe since you can't keep it clean.

So keeping your nails short will help prevent this from happening. It's fairly common injury and even more common with people who have poorly fitted footwear. I've lost my right big toe nail twice. Once just stubbing it in the garage, almost exactly a year later when my mail grew back I stubbed the same one on a submerged rock in Lake Michigan.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I Am Not Spor posted:

Loon Lake trail head :ssh: Once you get into Desolation there's a roughly 6 mile stretch of trail with no lakes and there's no way to do a loop so people don't go that way. We're going with beginners so we might set up camp at Rubicon Reservoir and do a day hike out to Schmidell.

In my own personal experience Desolation Wilderness isn't too crowded unless you do the Echo Lakes to Aloha Lake portion of the Pacific Crest Trail, which is always packed in spring/summer. I've hiked other trails during prime hiking season and it wasn't so bad. Maybe I've been lucky.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Can anybody recommend sunglasses for hiking? If it matters, I'll be at 10000 ft, but I don't expect any snow/ice.

Edit: I ended up ordering a Julbo Bivouak with Camel lenses.

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 8, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
best hiking sunglasses are whatever cheap plastic/polarized glasses amazon/zerouv/the gas station on the way to the hike happens to have that day. if you need impact resistance get some safety glasses, you can get them polarized as well. anti fog spray if you're covering your nose (baraclava/bandana/etc) or in weather conditions that may fog em up.

imo there's no reason to make a fashion statement in the middle of the woods and the best sunglasses are the ones you don't miss when you accidentally leave them behind somewhere.

mastershakeman posted:

My wool dress socks always got holes quickly, so seeing that darn tough would replace theirs is pretty enticing.

they aren't like normal wool socks and especially not like wool dress socks. i've never managed to put a hole in a pair of darn toughs and i've been wearing them for a while now. other thick wool hiking socks (costco made in canada, cabelas, smartwool etc) typically last me 3 months, maybe 5 if they're a nylon blend. they definitely aren't as soft as most wool socks either. if i had to guess it has something to do with the fiber length and weave.

mastershakeman posted:

Failing point for non-darn tough wool socks is the heel for me. If they're 100% wool i'll put a hole in them, if they're a nylon core i'll wear the wool off in the heel. I'm a heel dragger though.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 8, 2016

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Hikers, I'd like your thoughts. Keep in mind, this is still a work in progress, but I'm starting my planning for what to take on my late August High Sierra Trail trip. Seven days, no resupply on the way, and we're always near water so i don't imagine we'd need to have more than a day's worth at any given time. Five of us hiking. Estimated temperature ranges from the 40s to the high 60s.

https://lighterpack.com/r/auxf3r

Right now, I'm in the process of paring down some of the fluff (I took a much more casual camping list as my baseline for this) and I'm going to need to add the weight for the food we intend to bring. If you guys want to nitpick details, I'm game, but mostly I want to make sure I don't overlook any thing critical.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

best hiking sunglasses are whatever cheap plastic/polarized glasses amazon/zerouv/the gas station on the way to the hike happens to have that day. if you need impact resistance get some safety glasses, you can get them polarized as well. anti fog spray if you're covering your nose (baraclava/bandana/etc) or in weather conditions that may fog em up.

imo there's no reason to make a fashion statement in the middle of the woods and the best sunglasses are the ones you don't miss when you accidentally leave them behind somewhere.

If you saw my gear, you'd know that making a fashion statement has zero priority. But cheap stuff will only break or be left behind accidentally. I'd rather spend 2x the money and get something that will last years. Perhaps the Julbo Bivouak are complete overkill. Time will tell.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Cheap sunglasses are poo poo. They're just dark pieces of plastic.

Good sunglasses have better lenses and better optics. My hiking sunglasses don't even look very dark, but the glass and coatings on them make them work fantastically in the sun, with minimal loss of optical fidelity.

If I'm spending all this time hiking to go and see the sights I want sunglasses that have no optical distortion, keep the landscape bright, and reproduce the color of whatever I'm looking at, instead of having everything look like I'm seeing it through a poo poo-colored pane of cheap stained glass.

mastershakeman posted:

Icebreaker does this too, with the added benefit of you not looking like a dad who lives at REI and Costco.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 8, 2016

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Or you could get a good pair of glasses, and take care of them. I've had the same pair of polarized Raybans for years, and though their case is a few "extra" ounces, they're well-protected when they're not on me. Gas station glasses are poo poo.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hungryjack posted:

Hikers, I'd like your thoughts. Keep in mind, this is still a work in progress, but I'm starting my planning for what to take on my late August High Sierra Trail trip. Seven days, no resupply on the way, and we're always near water so i don't imagine we'd need to have more than a day's worth at any given time. Five of us hiking. Estimated temperature ranges from the 40s to the high 60s.

Right now, I'm in the process of paring down some of the fluff (I took a much more casual camping list as my baseline for this) and I'm going to need to add the weight for the food we intend to bring. If you guys want to nitpick details, I'm game, but mostly I want to make sure I don't overlook any thing critical.

Keep in mind, everyone has their own comfort levels and only you know how you like to hike.

• Do you need a seperate pot/kettle and cup? Could you get something that does double duty?
  • Have you used the Sawyer mini extensively? Are you happy with the flow rate? The regular Squeeze is only an ounce heavier and it's an ounce burden I would carry every time.
  • You would know better than I, and probably wouldn't be doing this hike if you couldn't, but can you take dogs on the HST? I'm pretty sure much of the trail is in NP territory and I think they don't allow dogs on their trails.
  • 10L dromedary bag is most definately not needed. You're not in Texas anymore my man. You'll probably pass water every few miles and won't need to carry much more than a liter at a time.
  • I know nothing of hammock camping, so hammock on.
  • Get a new pack! This thing is a lead weight and the easiest place to shed pounds. A good lightweight pack can carry 40-50 pounds and weighs 2-3 pounds.
  • Two extra pairs of underpants for 7 days? That's more underwear than I use in city life! Do you need three pairs total? Think about it.
  • Chapstick is so necessary, good on you for bringing it. Make sure you're happy with your bug spray's performance, the skeeters can get crazy.
  • You're a runner and know your body, do you need salt tabs? Your camping food is probably grossly salty, it might be enough for you.
  • I'm guessing the "Option" gear is still up in the air:
  • A 19oz jacket is crazy heavy, though you should have some sort of jacket.
  • Tights, gloves, beanie, and long sleeve shirt are all great for sleeping. Probably don't need two extra long sleeve shirts though.
  • Definitely don't need a tent mallet, a saw, or a light string. Flip flops are a luxury item I would consider.

I see toilet paper on the list, but what are you using to dig your cat holes? Please make sure you are digging proper sized holes.
Toothbrush/toothpaste/hand sanitizer?

I'm sure if I stared long enough more ideas would come. Remember, these are just my suggestions and hike your own hike and all that jazz. If you're comfortable carrying everything, go for it. Just remember, altitude hiking is a different beast compared to sea level hiking.

Tigren fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 8, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I would say the best sunglasses lens I've seen are Bolle's. My buddy goes fishing regularly and swears by them. Absolutely crystal clear.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am absolutely a member of the seven dollar sunglasses club. I got to wear a guys $300 Maui Jim's once it was like having some kind of Superman x-tay vision when looking underwater, but I know myself well enough that any sunglasses more than $25 would be a foolish investment.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Can anybody recommend sunglasses for hiking? If it matters, I'll be at 10000 ft, but I don't expect any snow/ice.

Edit: I ended up ordering a Julbo Bivouak with Camel lenses.

I'm ambivalent with the people saying to use whatever glasses. You definitely want polarized which is a little bit more but an anti-fog coating is very very nice to have when you're doing stuff in the winter, especially if you're bundled up so your breath goes straight up your face. I had Julbos (Run with Zebra lens) which were great but I became so paranoid about losing them. I ended up dropping them and couldn't pop the lens back in fully, so back to EMS they went.

I tend to use sunglasses as eye-protection in the New England woods, nice to not have to worry about small twigs and branches. I wear Sunskis, their price point is fine and they're very light.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hungryjack posted:

Like Tigren said, you don't need a 10L water bag. Get two 1L bottles and just fill them when necessary, there's plenty of water in the mountains. I carry a 3L platypus as well to treat a bunch of water at once in camp but only use my 1L bottles while hiking. Some people even just take one 1L bottle.

I'd just eat out of the pot instead of bringing an extra bowl even if you're cooking for more than just yourself in your pot. I do take an extra mug for coffee and coco but that's just me.

I haven't hiked the High Sierra Trail but keep in mind as you get up near 10k feet it's harder to find trees for a hammock. I don't think there's a place for a hammock at all near Whitney (Guitar Lake, etc), though lower down near Crabtree Meadows there should be. You might have to pick your camp sites carefully to make sure you'll have a place to string it.

for socks and underwear I'd just take two pair of each and switch them each day (I tend to wash stuff after getting to camp and hang dry it off my pack while hiking if necessary the next day)

Don't take two upper body baselayers unless that's all you have and don't want to spend more money. a lightweight upper body baselayer, your hiking shirt, and a lighweight down jacket works great for conditions in the mountains. You can get down jackets under 10oz and they'll be warmer than another merino layer

19 oz is a hell of a heavy jacket. definitely would get something lighter if you can. A decent lightweight rain jacket that can double as a wind jacket will be fine. You can get monsoon rains in the mountains but you don't need a crazy heavy duty rain jacket.

Don't take a hammer. Just use a rock if you need to but I've never had a problem putting in stakes just by stepping on them unless there's a rock under the ground (in which case a hammer won't help). Don't take a saw. Again, if you're up around 9-10k feet a lot fires aren't allowed anyways. Most of the dead stuff you can collect below that you can probably break yourself without a saw.

Those flip flops are kinda heavy but up to you if you want to buy lighter ones or go without. It can be nice to switch into different footwear at the end of the day but it gets dirty as hell wearing flip flops.

In late August you probably won't even run into bug problems but it never hurts to bring some repellent. I literally didn't use any at all on my JMT trip a couple of years ago in mid August.

quote:

You would know better than I, and probably wouldn't be doing this hike if you couldn't, but can you take dogs on the HST? I'm pretty sure much of the trail is in NP territory and I think they don't allow dogs on their trails.

Definitely no dogs allowed.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

bongwizzard posted:

I am absolutely a member of the seven dollar sunglasses club. I got to wear a guys $300 Maui Jim's once it was like having some kind of Superman x-tay vision when looking underwater, but I know myself well enough that any sunglasses more than $25 would be a foolish investment.

I was in the same club when I was a student. But I learned that buying one expensive item is cheaper than buying a cheap item repeatedly because it keeps breaking. Also, if the expensive item is poo poo, I can return it because REI is awesome.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
People talking about sunglass types...

Us prescription glass people over here just like :cheerdoge:

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Thanks, guys. I appreciate you acknowledging that everyone hikes differently, but your suggestions were still very good common sense points and I'm going to make some changes right now.
  • Tent + Hammock is redundant and I'll pick the hammock 10 out of 10 times for sleeping comfort, but like Levitate said, I don't have faith that I will always be able to string it, hence I'm also bringing the tent. I sleep like poo poo on the ground though :(
  • The Westcomb jacket is super awesome water/wind/snow/bomb/bullet proof, but you're right it is quite heavy. You convinced me to go with my Marmot Precip jacket instead and save half a pound there. It probably packs a bit smaller too.
  • I'm ditching the camp saw and including my plastic trowel instead, although really, we only need one trowel for the five of us.
  • Levitate raised a really good point about bringing two upper body base layers. I was thinking about for sleeping at night, but you're absolutely right. It's overkill. If worst comes to worst, I can sleep in my wind jacket inside my bag.
  • The hammer is out :)
  • Pot + Kettle + bowl + cup is a lot. I can definitely pare that down, although I'm not sure which configuration to use. The pot is large, but if it allows the five of us to cut a corner somewhere else, it might be worth it. I'll talk it out with the guys.
  • I'm dropping the hammock bug net and the associated 15oz. I hope I don't pay the price for that one!
  • My thought with the 10L reservoir is that I already have it and it folds up pretty small. I was thinking that we might like a lot of water for our group, but once again, it's something to talk out with the guys. It's far more than I need for just myself. On second thought, even at camp, we'd never need that much water at once. I'm tossing it.
  • Three pairs of underwear became two. That was mistaken math on my part to begin with.
  • Tigren says to get a new pack. Fact is, I haven't even bought that one yet. It's just the one I'm leaning towards. It seemed comparable to other 75L packs I've looked at. The ultralights (Gossamer, Zpacks, HMG) look pretty cool, but I'd sure like to lay hands on one before I buy it. Still, the Cotopaxi is under 5 lbs for a 75L. That doesn't seem so heavy.
  • As for the flip flops, I thought about getting some crocs so i can walk around with my socks on, but then again, I might just use these lightweight cheap throwaway Old Navy chanclas instead. Never once did I consider looking at another option there. Good call.

And Tigren, I've looked over my list several times. I cannot figure out what it was you saw that made you think I was bringing my dog.

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 8, 2016

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Like I said I think bugs won't be a problem in late August so no bug net would be fine, but you can also call the Ranger station a bit before your trip and ask them how the mosquito level is

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

theHUNGERian posted:

If you saw my gear, you'd know that making a fashion statement has zero priority. But cheap stuff will only break or be left behind accidentally. I'd rather spend 2x the money and get something that will last years. Perhaps the Julbo Bivouak are complete overkill. Time will tell.

I guess I'm the only one here who chronically loses sunglasses when outdoors especially if they're nice or expensive.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

I guess I'm the only one here who chronically loses sunglasses when outdoors especially if they're nice or expensive.

I don't lose them I just end up breaking them...I got some $60 polarized Suncloud's from REI that aren't great or anything but they're a step above real cheap poo poo but I don't feel bad if I break them.

People talking about sunglass types...

Us prescription glass people over here just like :cheerdoge:

I wear contacts and it's pretty annoying to have to deal with them in the backcountry but I'd rather do that than wear glasses all the time. I should just get eye surgery but it makes me kinda uneasy for stupid reasons.
I forgot to bring a spare contact on the JMT and almost lost one at Wanda Lake halfway through and was cursing myself over it but managed to find it in the grass.

Hungryjack posted:

And Tigren, I've looked over my list several times. I cannot figure out what it was you saw that made you think I was bringing my dog.

I was wondering that too but realize it's probably the collapsable "pet" bowl you listed that you probably meant that you'd use for yourself.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

Croakies are cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Levitate posted:

I was wondering that too but realize it's probably the collapsable "pet" bowl you listed that you probably meant that you'd use for yourself.

Haha, ya. That's exactly what made me think that. Even more so then, drop at least one of mug/bowl/pot.

I just figured you took your dog everywhere.