Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I didn't think I would be interested in a WW1 game but I'm totally on board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

That looks loving awesome. Getting in on the ground floor of this Red Baron-style dogfighting, one-hand-Mauser-cowboying from TNT-laden horseback Luftschiftfest from bug-ridden day one. Take all of my money.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

TG-Chrono posted:

I'm actually super pumped for the fifth Battlefield which is Battlefield 1.

Going to own bones. Name is dumb but whatever, game will be better than bf5 more modern warfare.

By the way, you should now all start subscribing to The Great War channel on youtube which is following WW1 week by week 100 years on, plus they have random specials on specific events/people/things as well as a short Q&A episode each week too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?TheGreatWar

All videos in chronological order playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FgaL0xIazk

Channel is great and I'm looking forward to some Middle East/East Africa maps and cavalry rushes or what they're covering right now on that channel in the 1916 Spring Offensive, a flooded trench map on the Eastern Front where they put machineguns in rowboats because all the trenches were full of water.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm on week 7 right now. I can see myself binge watching 2 years worth of content in a very short amount of time.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I picked it up around week 5 or so and had watched that guy doing historical videos for British Pathe when they uploaded all their footage the other year, so I knew how indepth they'd be and I liked him as a host as he is quite knowledgeable. The series gets better over time too as they get ad revenue from youtube and eventually start a pateron, so more detailed maps for events and such. I think they'll be doing on location filming later in the year as they film it all in Germany.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rahu posted:

I'm just playing BF4 again after not playing for about a year. Is there some trick to making ping show in the server browser? I just see a - on every server.

Might need to reinstall Battlelog.

Also, man, I kind of wish they had used a more classic Battlefield theme for the trailer instead of that really crappy Seven Nation Army dubstep bastardization.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 7, 2016

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rahu posted:

I'm just playing BF4 again after not playing for about a year. Is there some trick to making ping show in the server browser? I just see a - on every server.

Reinstall the plugin. Also, completely close all your browser processes afterwards.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

one-hand-Mauser-cowboying from TNT-laden horseback Luftschiftfest
For some reason this made me think of recreating that Terminator scene where he flips the levergun over, except doing it with a bolt action rifle by tossing it up and grabbing the bolt handle and yanking it. On horseback.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I've been enjoying the CS-LR4 with a FLIR scope and elephant gunning people at closer range or using the FLIR to spot sniper heads and getting them that way. It's super fun.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

verbal enema posted:

I mean they did good at the alt history of USA/ Russia/ China in a global conflict against eachother. Sure it was all maps located in areas of Russia/ China, no cool spillover into like an American map but maybe they will fix that.

They oughta put Wake Island in Battlefield One just to gently caress with people.

I hope the turn to an older era means some orchestrated music between rounds and no more of the stupid electrobass wubs. That poo poo got old real fast.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 8, 2016

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Concordat posted:

They oughta put Wake Island in Battlefield One just to gently caress with people.

It wasn't in BF4 which makes me sad. There is even a DLC made for it! Wake Island is Battlefield. It should be in Battlefield 1, it should be in Battlefield 2642, it should be in Battlefield 10,042 BCE.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Deakul posted:

Might need to reinstall Battlelog.

Also, man, I kind of wish they had used a more classic Battlefield theme for the trailer instead of that really crappy Seven Nation Army dubstep bastardization.

I almost wish the trailer was just a few vignettes with Battle of the Somme playing over the top

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Rahu posted:

Use Internet Explorer 11

Orv
May 4, 2011

Node posted:

It wasn't in BF4 which makes me sad. There is even a DLC made for it! Wake Island is Battlefield. It should be in Battlefield 1, it should be in Battlefield 2642, it should be in Battlefield 10,042 BCE.

Wake Island is garbage for garbage people.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Orv posted:

Ah, one of the rare native residents of Wrong Island leaves their disease infested hovel briefly to post.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Orv posted:

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Should have had Wake Island in BF4 but have it be completely unrecognizable under piles and piles of beached ships, wrecked tanks, collapsed buildings, and crashed aircraft from every battlefield game (even 2142 gently caress it).

Have the only vehicles available be skid loaders and pod launchers. I guess airboats too why the hell not.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 8, 2016

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Orv posted:

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Wake was poo poo tier even by BF2 standards. It was ok in BF3 though because of squad spawning and the jets not being OP.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Concordat posted:

I hope the turn to an older era means some orchestrated music between rounds and no more of the stupid electrobass wubs. That poo poo got old real fast.

DNMN DNMN DMMN DNMN DMMMM
DNMND MDNM DNMNDNDMNNN

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
If new bf doesn't have good music such as that era may have produced it will be less good in a way that really matters

I have faith. I really hope they learned from bf4 and hardon

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Or, just make up the playable area of Wake Island as some hills surrounded by shallow lakes and mud in the Somme (or more appropriately somewhere on the Eastern Front where in the springtime all the trenches all flooded as rivers burst their banks)

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
You can hear the beats of the Battlefield theme in the new trailer at the very beginning (up until the guy gets clubbed upside the head), and then again at the very end (After the "Play it First on Xbox One"):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7nRTF2SowQ&t=69s

Signs of the theme to come? :shrug:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Wake was poo poo tier even by BF2 standards. It was ok in BF3 though because of squad spawning and the jets not being OP.

It was the best map on bf2 because there was a lot of strategy to it, with a cappable Chinese airfield, and it was hard for the US to make landfall at all but if they did they could win by capping all the flags

then bf3 changed how everything worked and made it smaller scale and easier to get onto land and it was just pointless

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

In my experience, which is only battlefield 3, wake island had a mobile aa spawn within line of sight of an airfield and thus was a good map.

I think the most important things BF1 can do would be harvesting from hardline's qol changes such as obvious teammate produced effects (eg blue fire won't hurt you), pulling ammo from friendly supports, respawn timers visible for vehicles, and with a presumably strong focus on melee--the removal of counter knifing.

Actually I'd be okay if countering existed but instead became a real back and forth struggle or simply cancelled the attack instead of reversing it, but you can't trust them not to gently caress that up.

PS bring back tourettes medic

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Chronojam posted:

In my experience, which is only battlefield 3, wake island had a mobile aa spawn within line of sight of an airfield and thus was a good map.

I think the most important things BF1 can do would be harvesting from hardline's qol changes such as obvious teammate produced effects (eg blue fire won't hurt you), pulling ammo from friendly supports, respawn timers visible for vehicles, and with a presumably strong focus on melee--the removal of counter knifing.

Actually I'd be okay if countering existed but instead became a real back and forth struggle or simply cancelled the attack instead of reversing it, but you can't trust them not to gently caress that up.

PS bring back tourettes medic

Tourettes medic?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Artificer posted:

Tourettes medic?

In Battlefield: The Number Three there was a bug where the medic would deliver the defib kill line on a revive. So the medic you yell "BURN YOU FUCKER!" as he saved a man.

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Is BF4 multiplayer cross-platform with XBone and PC? I'm having an odd time trying to find an answer to this.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

DoctorStrangelove posted:

In Battlefield: The Number Three there was a bug where the medic would deliver the defib kill line on a revive. So the medic you yell "BURN YOU FUCKER!" as he saved a man.

If I ever needed to be defibrillatored I hope it is by that kind of medic.

Aafter posted:

Is BF4 multiplayer cross-platform with XBone and PC? I'm having an odd time trying to find an answer to this.

This was tried once a number of years ago and PC players just completely annihilate console players, who are handicapped by their controller.

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010
Kind of makes you wonder what the medics will use in place of a defib. Morphine needles? Bandages?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Node posted:

If I ever needed to be defibrillatored I hope it is by that kind of medic.

This was tried once a number of years ago and PC players just completely annihilate console players, who are handicapped by their controller.

I play with a guy who uses a 360 controller on PC and he almost always finishes top score 99% of the time with a crazy k:d ratio

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

African AIDS cum posted:

It was the best map on bf2 because there was a lot of strategy to it, with a cappable Chinese airfield, and it was hard for the US to make landfall at all but if they did they could win by capping all the flags
The problem with BF2 Wake was that it took a really long time to exit the "die horribly to MGs and aircraft" phase most of the time, and a lot of games never left it at all.

It had some interesting stuff at times though. I was in one game where the other team had someone as squad leader just hover a Black Hawk over the Chinese airfield point at max altitude, which was too high-angle to hit with MGs, AA, or AT rockets, and we lost it from the non-stop paratrooper dropping.

Concordat posted:

I hope the turn to an older era means some orchestrated music between rounds and no more of the stupid electrobass wubs.
I'm torn because on one hand the MEC loading music was great but on the other I don't think it was worth the minute-long load times.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 8, 2016

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Bob Wins posted:

Kind of makes you wonder what the medics will use in place of a defib. Morphine needles? Bandages?

It's gonna be some Nikolai Tesla thing that shoots lighting to heal other players.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

I play with a guy who uses a 360 controller on PC and he almost always finishes top score 99% of the time with a crazy k:d ratio

Surely he must be in a vehicle for that to work.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

African AIDS cum posted:

There are always going to be the extremes, yes. And I wouldn't be surprised if a controller would be much less of a handicap, and perhaps even a bonus for vehicles.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hwveq19FLhw

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Bob Wins posted:

Just a bone saw to amputate limbs with. Consequently you can only revive a player three four times.

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Node posted:

There are always going to be the extremes, yes. And I wouldn't be surprised if a controller would be much less of a handicap, and perhaps even a bonus for vehicles.

It actually sucks for land vehicles. The turn speed on the turrets is super loving slow.

Also wake island has not been good since infantry got accurate weapons. Bf3 for example it was dmr spam everywhere. Bf2 there was a tap fire lmg that did cross bay work. Plus the map is a magnet for lovely snipers like dawnbreaker is to little bird spergs.

I want a all bfbc map pack but I realize those maps are probably poo poo in retrospect. Or would be broken as gently caress due to the faster TTK paired with the general accuracy increase in all the weapons.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Random thought, but after using the AS VAL for a while apparently I didn't realize how often I need those 9-10 extra bullets until I don't have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Bob Wins posted:

A couple of the YouTube clips I've seen from people who were at the reveal and got a behind-the-scenes look at gameplay have said it's a needle.

• Locked thread