Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Aphrodite posted:

The game Marvel Avengers Alliance is now officially doing their own different take on Civil War, so that's another variation.

Avengers Academy is doing one too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but I don't think he wants adaptations of the exact comic or movie story, so it remains to be seen what they do. They don't have half the characters though so it's a good bet it will be different.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

RandallODim posted:

Dark Reign: Fantastic Four #2 has Reed checking out how Civil War went in other realities. I only remembered this because one of them is the one where it was solved by Natasha Stark and Steve Rogers getting married.

Yeah, I remembered to include that one in the end. Revisiting that sequence, it's pretty great because JMS turned Reed into a total coward shithead during Civil War while Hickman straight up said "In most realities, Reed could have fixed everything if Stark wasn't being a dick about things." And that ultimately leads to the end of Secret Wars.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Hickman is a major Reed fanboy which makes a lot of sense.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

yo so I was reading Hickman's SHIELD miniseries and there's this page, depicting a journey through the future to the end of time, passing by lots of established Marvel timelines:

There are a few future things there I recognize, Days of Future Past up top, I'm pretty sure the redhead is Hope, then we have Maestro, and the Next Avengers (who would later show up in Avengers World too!).

But I don't think I'm familiar with the Doom at the bottom, which looks to be either Valeria or Sue taking up the armor. Anyone know what that's referencing? And I guess that last wasteland too, if it's anything specific. That little guy in silhouette does look kinda striking.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mover posted:

But I don't think I'm familiar with the Doom at the bottom, which looks to be either Valeria or Sue taking up the armor. Anyone know what that's referencing? And I guess that last wasteland too, if it's anything specific. That little guy in silhouette does look kinda striking.

That does look like an older Valeria, who, in her original appearances, sported a ponytail and wore a Doom-style cape, gauntlets, and boots over a Fantastic Four-themed dress, it was quite a bit of fashion confusion.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Just throwing this out there: Older Valeria rules.

extremely fake edit: Also,

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

She does! I'm a big fan of Franklin too. Fantastic Four is the cornerstone of the Marvel Universe, and Franklin personifies what's so great about the FF. People always talk about the Summers family as the benchmark for convoluted time travel families, but the Richards are probably worse.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Die Laughing posted:

She does! I'm a big fan of Franklin too. Fantastic Four is the cornerstone of the Marvel Universe, and Franklin personifies what's so great about the FF. People always talk about the Summers family as the benchmark for convoluted time travel families, but the Richards are probably worse.

Good thing they combine into one as Frankin marries Rachel!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The Richards are at least straight-forward. Franklin grows up to be a god, Valeria is a Doom, and both Nathaniels are king dicks.

The Summers are convoluted because their family doesn't just consist of future versions of themselves, but multiple alternate timeline future children that haven't been conceived yet complete with clone parents and children and Scott's dad is a space pirate and it includes Adam X the Xtreme and they then contaminate the Richards line.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As I recently said in another thread, Rachel Summers just might have the least complicated history of anyone with the last name Summers, and that's just insane.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
While looking up Rama Tut on wikipedia to make a feeble "living in de Nile" joke I discovered that Nathaniel Richards first went back in time to adopt En Saba Nur as his heir (!????) so Richards nonsense and Summers nonsense is theoretically all one big pile of nonsense.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I think eye lasers and red visors and sunglasses are cool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mover posted:

And I guess that last wasteland too, if it's anything specific.

Having just read it, pretty sure that's a shot of the Cancerverse from the Realm of Kings one-shot, since Quasar's the one who visits it.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

edit: oh, nevermind

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I've scrolled past this subforum many times and I've always wondered. What exactly IS Batman's shameful secret?

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I've scrolled past this subforum many times and I've always wondered. What exactly IS Batman's shameful secret?

https://www.google.com/search?q=bat...Th4Q4Nmw_hZM%3A

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thanks, huge chested cartoon woman.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Is Batman: Ego any good?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ultragonk posted:

The Darwyn Cooke one? Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVRXMXfbDE0

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks, huge chested cartoon woman.

That's also a :goonsay: face.

Just replace the forum title with that picture, it is a perfect representation of this place.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Travis343 posted:

The Darwyn Cooke one? Yes.

That's the one, thank you!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Aphrodite posted:

Just replace the forum title with that picture, it is a perfect representation of this place.

Nobody in this forum has ever even touched a boob, let alone possesses a pair.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Hey, we have in excess of 1 girl, since they passed the Federal Nerd Equality Act in 2012.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Toxxupation posted:

Slanderous. Most of them do it accidentally while putting their shirt on in the morning.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

Very good, especially if you like the Batman: The Animated Series aesthetic. Darwyn Cooke worked as an animator before getting into comics (he designed the opening sequence for Batman Beyond), and his comic work is outstanding, especially DC: The New Frontier. But there's a TPB out there that collects Batman: Ego and Catwoman: Selina's Big Score, which is also fantastic.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gaz-L posted:

Hey, we have in excess of 1 girl, since they passed the Federal Nerd Equality Act in 2012.

Oh really? Oh jeez I ruined my chances with her :smith:

Ghostlight posted:

Slanderous. Most of them do it accidentally while putting their shirt on in the morning.

Waitin' for that one. I set em up, Ghostlight...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Very good, especially if you like the Batman: The Animated Series aesthetic. Darwyn Cooke worked as an animator before getting into comics (he designed the opening sequence for Batman Beyond), and his comic work is outstanding, especially DC: The New Frontier. But there's a TPB out there that collects Batman: Ego and Catwoman: Selina's Big Score, which is also fantastic.

Excellent, what about Batman - The Black Mirror?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ultragonk posted:

Excellent, what about Batman - The Black Mirror?

It's the best. Scott Snyder's break in before he took Batman proper for the New 52. Probably his best work (though N52 Batman is no slouch, when you get to it.)
Crazy good art too.

e: And for more from the period where Dick Grayson was Batman, you could also read Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin. It doesn't tie in at all, but it's fantastic (e: As mentioned below, it's a part of Morrison's giant decade long Bat-saga, but I think BnR can be easily stand-alone. You could always go back.)

ee: Which also makes me think of Greg Rucka's run on Detective Comics before Scott Snyder, collected in Batwoman: Elegy. That's even less tied in, but I feel like recommending it anyhow.

You won't get better Batman than living like it's 2010.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 8, 2016

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Agreed. Dick as Batman (in Snyder's Black Mirror storyline) was awesome.

Morrison's Batman mega-epic run was mostly great, although the way it was collected can be daunting for some readers, and it suffered from some really inconsistent art at times.

Do you have the Hoopla service through your public library? It includes all the Morrison Batman TPBs and tons of other stuff, all as e-books you can check out and download for three weeks at a time. My library system allows me six checkouts per month, but larger systems have been known to allow more.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's the best. Scott Snyder's break in before he took Batman proper for the New 52. Probably his best work (though N52 Batman is no slouch, when you get to it.)
Crazy good art too.

e: And for more from the period where Dick Grayson was Batman, you could also read Grant Morrison's Batman and Robin. It doesn't tie in at all, but it's fantastic (e: As mentioned below, it's a part of Morrison's giant decade long Bat-saga, but I think BnR can be easily stand-alone. You could always go back.)

ee: Which also makes me think of Greg Rucka's run on Detective Comics before Scott Snyder, collected in Batwoman: Elegy. That's even less tied in, but I feel like recommending it anyhow.

You won't get better Batman than living like it's 2010.

Agreed. Dick as Batman (in Snyder's Black Mirror storyline) was awesome.

Morrison's Batman mega-epic run was mostly great, although the way it was collected can be daunting for some readers, and it suffered from some really inconsistent art at times.

Cool, that's another one on the list then. What about The Man Who Laughs?

Do you have the Hoopla service through your public library? It includes all the Morrison Batman TPBs and tons of other stuff, all as e-books you can check out and download for three weeks at a time. My library system allows me six checkouts per month, but larger systems have been known to allow more.

God no, I'm in the UK and with the way the government are cutting budgets I'll be lucky to have a library soon.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lance Storm commends the UK government

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ultragonk posted:

Cool, that's another one on the list then. What about The Man Who Laughs?

God no, I'm in the UK and with the way the government are cutting budgets I'll be lucky to have a library soon.

The Man Who Laughs is a really good remake of the first Joker story from like 1939 that serves as Joker's post-Crisis origin, or at least his first brush with Batman. I'm pretty sour on Joker since he's be used so badly and so often in recent years but this is a good one.

I would also recommend Dark Moon Rising, which is made up of two Matt Wagner miniseries, Batman and the Monster Men & Batman and the Mad Monk. These are also remakes of classic Batman stories from the 40s and as such they're dark and pulpy and gruesome in the absolute best pre-Comics Code way. They slot very cleanly between Batman: Year One and The Man Who Laughs as early-career Batman stories.

As others have said The Black Mirror is really good. You should also check out Gates of Gotham, another Snyder story featuring Dick as Batman.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Travis343 posted:

The Man Who Laughs is a really good remake of the first Joker story from like 1939 that serves as Joker's post-Crisis origin, or at least his first brush with Batman. I'm pretty sour on Joker since he's be used so badly and so often in recent years but this is a good one.

I would also recommend Dark Moon Rising, which is made up of two Matt Wagner miniseries, Batman and the Monster Men & Batman and the Mad Monk. These are also remakes of classic Batman stories from the 40s and as such they're dark and pulpy and gruesome in the absolute best pre-Comics Code way. They slot very cleanly between Batman: Year One and The Man Who Laughs as early-career Batman stories.

As others have said The Black Mirror is really good. You should also check out Gates of Gotham, another Snyder story featuring Dick as Batman.

Thanks, I'll note them down.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Also if you're coming into Batman completely cold, Gotham Central is one of the best series produced ever related to him. He shows up as an incidental character mostly, and instead focuses on the police who have to work in a world where Batman and his crazy enemies exist.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

This was referenced in Glen Weldon's excellent "The Caped Crusade." Now I wonder if he's lurking!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finally, I got through the whole thread just to make sure I didn't ask something redundant. I have two questions.

1) What exactly are Wanda's powers? With all the buzz around Civil War, I've been getting full "You read all comics ever, right?" and people want me to explain her. I always say that her powers are just whatever bullshit they need to be for the story, but that's not fair. Is it just reality bending that sometimes looks like telekinesis and telepathy?

2) This is more opinion based. Characters die and come back all the time. Are there characters who you feel contribute better to the universe by staying dead? I'm of the strong opinion that Barry Allen should always be dead and I've since been brought to the same conclusion about Jason Todd.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

SonicRulez posted:

Finally, I got through the whole thread just to make sure I didn't ask something redundant. I have two questions.

1) What exactly are Wanda's powers? With all the buzz around Civil War, I've been getting full "You read all comics ever, right?" and people want me to explain her. I always say that her powers are just whatever bullshit they need to be for the story, but that's not fair. Is it just reality bending that sometimes looks like telekinesis and telepathy?

2) This is more opinion based. Characters die and come back all the time. Are there characters who you feel contribute better to the universe by staying dead? I'm of the strong opinion that Barry Allen should always be dead and I've since been brought to the same conclusion about Jason Todd.

1) She is basically magic - I think the official line is that her powers 'affect probability', but over the years she does pretty much whatever. She fires 'hex bolts' that just sort of hurt people nonspecifically - I guess she's altering the probability of them falling down or getting sudden concussions or falling asleep or whatever. Somebody who gives a poo poo about Wanda can probably answer this better.

2) Barry Allen, Jason Todd, Jean Grey, Uncle Ben and the Parkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

SonicRulez posted:

This is a weird outlier answer, and basically only exists because Marvel wrote themselves any possible out, but there's basically no way to bring back Gwen-616 in a way that doesn't reek of total bullshit. Like, Gwen Stacy Is Dead is now an immutable fact of the Marvel universe because that's the only way Spider-Gwen works, and considering her book sales she's not leaving any time soon.

Previously I would've said that there were and have been ways to retcon her back into existence, but as soon as Spider-Gwen got invented...nope. She's dead now. Dead as Uncle Ben.