Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

i cant remember the last time I was excited for music. This is so great. Insta-bought the $86 US ($111 CAD :cry:) vinyl edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
I was feeling alright about it before today, but now all I can do is despair that I won't be able to see these songs live.

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

Anyone else think the guitar in The Numbers sounds like Talk Show Host lite?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Decks Dark :vince:

e: the Desert Island Disk intro :vince: :vince:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 8, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Ful Stop
Present Tense
Identikit
Glass Eyes

Yes this is a good album

lol @ format wars just listen to it

Not trying to figure out lyrics tonight, I'm happy there are some

ZoDiAC_ fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 8, 2016

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
I'm really enjoying this, and I'm glad they have kind of returned to a more traditional format while still managing to sound like they're moving forward.

That's my hot take.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
True love waits is amazing. gently caress

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just walked around the park listening to this, thank you Radiohead. Now to listen with my good headphones.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Identikit is such a good jam. drat.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
This is their best work in a long time. Thanks guys!!

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 8, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Gave it a few listens today and it's not doing much for me, unfortunately. It's very pretty and ethereal, but outside of a few tracks it's not really feeling anything more than "well that was nice". I think it's just too mellow for me; I was disappointed that Burn the Witch was the "punchiest" track on here and even that song feels awkwardly tacked on to the beginning of the record.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

HorseRenoir posted:

Gave it a few listens today and it's not doing much for me, unfortunately. It's very pretty and ethereal, but outside of a few tracks it's not really feeling anything more than "well that was nice". I think it's just too mellow for me; I was disappointed that Burn the Witch was the "punchiest" track on here and even that song feels awkwardly tacked on to the beginning of the record.

I'm a little bit in the same camp, though I do like Tinker Tailor. It's very spacy and pretty, but I was hoping there would be a bit more of that tenseness from Burn the Witch, when most of the album sounds like Daydreaming.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I can't get over how loving good the choir on Present Tense is

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Here's the album on BBC 6music, saved for a while

Dunno how it works outside the UK, try your luck

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b079vkpk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The way his voice cracks at 'your tiny house'. :(

Yeah this album doesn't sustain the punch that Burn the Witch starts, and won't be what everyone wanted, but it's god drat beautiful. Like a gentle giant.

stev fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 8, 2016

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Definitely a gorgeous album, and I think I like it considerably more on first listen than IR or TKOL, but I'm sad to see that Radiohead just doesn't have another OKC/Kid A/Amnesiac/HTTT up their sleeves. The last three albums have really felt like a great collection of songs with no overarching vision or statement of purpose. Definitely a lot to like here though.

I absolutely love the menacing new bass on True Love Waits.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 8, 2016

Corvo
Feb 5, 2015

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm used to a lot more variety in Radiohead albums, everything on this one just blurs together which is unusual for these guys. It's really disappointing to hear how the studio versions of Identikit and Ful Stop turned out as well, the live versions were phenomenal. Burn the Witch & Daydreaming are fantastic songs and have some great use of strings but on a whole it's disappointing how samey the album is throughout. I think the band is in a weird position where they can still write excellent songs but they're struggling a lot with actually putting albums together.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

I had no idea so many people were disappointed by In Rainbows.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Eggnogium posted:

Arpeggi is basically a parody of a Radiohead song. And Bodysnatchers is probably the worst track 2 in their catalog.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Jewmanji posted:

Arpeggi is basically a parody of a Radiohead song. And Bodysnatchers is probably the worst track 2 in their catalog.

Bodysnatchers I can take or leave, but Arpeggi, 15 Step, Nude, and Reckoner are all phenomenal.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Eggnogium posted:

I loved that album when it came out and still love it beginning to end, Bodysnatchers being the only weaker song.

Still haven't gotten time to myself to listen to the new album yet...seems promising based on feedback

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Jewmanji posted:

Arpeggi is basically a parody of a Radiohead song.

It lost alot of what made it great when it was recorded in the studio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsYTXqVySy0

And my that i mean the last 1/5th of the song.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I think it's a solid album, a few tracks I can take or leave (I think Present Tense and Tinker Tailor are the weakest) but there's at least five very good songs here –– Decks Dark, Desert Island Disk (love its hints of old-school British folk), Ful Stop (by far the highlight for me), Identikit, True Love Waits especially. Melancholy and quiet, but not quite scary enough. Sufficiently impressive.

That's my initial reaction. Initial reactions are always poo poo. At least it makes me want to listen to it again, which is a good thing. Well done Yhom Torke

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Yeah I think the negative opinions about this new album are actually loving crazy.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jewmanji posted:

Arpeggi is basically a parody of a Radiohead song.

It is their best song.

Top five at least.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
After one full listen this is in the top tier of Radiohead albums for me. I love every song.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

It is their best song.

Top five at least.

What are your other favorites? Radiohead is truly Beatles-esque in their ability to attract fans who love them for completely different reasons.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah I think the negative opinions about this new album are actually loving crazy.

Its going to be a grower for alot of people.

The complete lack of hooks makes the first listen pretty but also pretty unmemorable. \

Other then burn the witch. But that was first heard a week ago.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

In Rainbows is probably my second favourite album after Kid A.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jewmanji posted:

What are your other favorites? Radiohead is truly Beatles-esque in their ability to attract fans who love them for completely different reasons.

Off the top of my head I'd say my top five is:

How to Disappear Completely
Arpeggi
True Love Waits
Backdrifts
Gagging Order

That will change in the morning.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Present Tense might be the best song on the album

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know how to feel about A Moon Shaped Pool yet. In Rainbows I fell in love with almost immediately which was easy, it was super accessible (by Radiohead standards at least). TKOL was initially disappointing but grew on me (Codex->Give Up The Ghost->Seperator is probably my favorite run of Radiohead tracks ever). A Moon Shaped Pool is very pretty, and very "mature", but not very... engaging, I guess? I'm sure AMSP will grow on me too, I'll have to find some time to throw on my good headphones and zone out to it (not easy with an 8 month old). I do appreciate how it sounds very old (I kept on getting Pink Floyd/Led Zepplin vibes on my first listen) and very futuristic simultaneously.

Have they ever done a "sequel" track like Idiotque/The Numbers (both in terms of subject matter as well as aurally) before?

Also True Love Waits was always devastating but this new post-separation piano driven version is just... :smith:

Finally, I'm really really really jonesing for the version of Lift that got the AMSP treatment like True Love Waits did that absolutely HAS to be out there. Maybe a surprise track on the bonus disc? :unsmith:

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 8, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

TheAbortionator posted:

Its going to be a grower for alot of people.

The complete lack of hooks makes the first listen pretty but also pretty unmemorable. \

Other then burn the witch. But that was first heard a week ago.

This is exactly how I felt about the king of limbs and in 5 years it honestly never clicked with me.

But with this new one I instantly started liking it.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

Yeah I was pretty blown away with it on the first go. But I can see why it wouldnt get there for alot of people right away.

On the 4th listen is when I noticed how much work the bass is doing in making the songs work. Probably the first time Ive thought they should cut johny abit more out of the mix and replace him with his brother. Mostly evident on daydreaming.

TheAbortionator fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 8, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Colin is the underrated one

Hi radioheads
do in the basement

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know if they could fit the orchestra in the basement.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Well they're on the road in a couple of weeks.

This is gonna be, uh, a fascinating transition

Two drummers already confirmed
How can you fake strings like this? Gotta be live

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Wow

Gonna need links to the definitive versions of the songs redone on the album please

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

Wow

Gonna need links to the definitive versions of the songs redone on the album please

Huh

You listened brother?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

That little guitar riff in The Numbers sounds like Stairway to Heaven. After one listen I'd say it's my favorite track on the album.