Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I'm about to replay Shadow of Chernobyl. I'm downloading the recommended mod in the OP, has anything changed in the last 3 years since the OP was updated? Or is the Zone Reclamation project still the way to go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

Powercrazy posted:

I'm about to replay Shadow of Chernobyl. I'm downloading the recommended mod in the OP, has anything changed in the last 3 years since the OP was updated? Or is the Zone Reclamation project still the way to go?

ZRP is still a great "vanilla" implementation imho, and AFAIK the Complete 2012 mod is vaporware, but if you have a computer that can run it, Autumn Aurora 2 has ZRP built-in along with an ENB, and looks absolutely desolately gorgeous. Autumn Aurora 2 might be what you're looking for. http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aurora-compilation-mod

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sparkyhodgo posted:

ZRP is still a great "vanilla" implementation imho, and AFAIK the Complete 2012 mod is vaporware, but if you have a computer that can run it, Autumn Aurora 2 has ZRP built-in along with an ENB, and looks absolutely desolately gorgeous. Autumn Aurora 2 might be what you're looking for. http://www.moddb.com/mods/autumn-aurora-compilation-mod

Cool thanks for the tip.

When I was messing with ZRP I enabled the Early Monolith guys, and that was a big mistake. When I got to the rail-way bridge, the soldiers there had been slaughtered by 10 Monolith dudes who spawned with late-game armor and weapons etc. I managed to kill a few of them, but it's essentially a brickwall, yikes.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you're bored with runs of Stalker games, try doing a run only using single fire. I call it "Civilian Mode," although I still use grenades and suppressors so it's not really accurate. Probably best if you do it with a mod where pistols and shotguns aren't worthless. I'm doing it with Arsenal Overhaul 3.1 on Call of Pripyat, and it's got me using a lot of different weapons than I would be using otherwise. I spent most of the game so far using an SKS and AR-15, which I would never use if automatic was an option. It's actually surprisingly fun, and I use a fraction of the ammo that I do on a normal run.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Or just force yourself into weapons you normally don't use.

Roleplay the character you made already having a preference by faction or any arbitrary thing. Like my banit using a Skorp and .50 Desert Eagle and my Merc using that HK417 I normally wouldn't ever use along with a sweet Colt Delta Elite.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Using the SVD Dragunov is one of the many joys of the Stalker game world.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

Using the SVD Dragunov is one of the many joys of the Stalker game world.

I never understood why people liked the VSS so much. The SVD was my go-to backup in all three games.

Well, until the Gauss rifle, anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I never really used it because of the weight, and in the first game you couldn't sprint with it. I bought it on this run, though, for when I'm planning on going out to wipe out a major outpost. Maybe I'll do the RP thing next time I play CoC.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Shotguns for life :colbert:

thejacob
Feb 13, 2014
Because I am probably broken I have probably played and enjoyed CoP with the SGM mod, invisible landmines and alpha squads included, at least a dozen times over the years.
I am looking for a suggestion of some other pack since I can't make heads or tails of the alphabet soup of mod options out there.
Not misery though, I tried it and that is just not for me.
Thanks.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I never understood why people liked the VSS so much. The SVD was my go-to backup in all three games.

Well, until the Gauss rifle, anyway.

Silenced sniping.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you play AO 3.1, you can put a silencer on a 7.62x51 and possibly even a .338 sniper rifle. Don't, though. They screwed up packaging the mod and put two of the optional mods in the main package with no way to remove them. This means that bandits are hostile from the beginning of the game, and worse, damage is ramped up so much you die from one bullet on Master or Veteran, 2 in Stalker. I'm uninstalling and going to a different mod too.

AO3 or 3.1 for CoC is fine, it's great. Just not for CoP, and I got tired of the sandbox after a while.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

I never understood why people liked the VSS so much.

You're one messed up SOB.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 11, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Will I miss anything by playing the games in Clear Sky -> SoC -> CoP order?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Playing Clear Sky first is a good way to put yourself off the entire series, for one.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How bad can it be?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

DJ Dizzy posted:

How bad can it be?

It's not as good as SoC. I'd really recommend playing the games in release order.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

DJ Dizzy posted:

How bad can it be?

it's decent as a weird game on its own but it's really not how the rest of the series is.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's also the least stable of all of the games. And I would say the opening area of Clear Sky is the worst in the entire series.

Sparkyhodgo
Jun 21, 2003
Long potato

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's also the least stable of all of the games. And I would say the opening area of Clear Sky is the worst in the entire series.

I wouldn't say worst, but I would say uncharacteristic. It's so ... sunny. Not at all the desolate experience I was expecting after SoC. That said, I rather like the swamps.

Anyway, I would play the games in the order they were released. The finale of Clear Sky may ruin the mystery in SoC.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
If you're sensitive to playing old games like I am, CoP is the most refined of the 3 and looks nicest. If you're gonna do SoC put on a graphics mod.

Okay time to run before the thread attacks me, bye!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Avocados posted:

If you're sensitive to playing old games like I am, CoP is the most refined of the 3 and looks nicest. If you're gonna do SoC put on a graphics mod.

Okay time to run before the thread attacks me, bye!

UNBELIEVER REPENT

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

You're one messed up SOB.

Enjoy shooting a gun that has roughly the same ballistic arc as throwing a stone at someone. #TeamSVD

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Enjoy shooting a gun that has roughly the same ballistic arc as throwing a stone at someone. #TeamSVD

Theres also an SVU sniper rifle, lighter than SVD and still packs a good punch... You can even put a silencer on it but that may have just been an OGSE thing.

Clear Sky sucks in vanilla, granted, but even just adding the Complete mod makes it pretty decent. You just need to know ahead of time that theres no going back once you enter limansk. I really enjoyed the end game on my second playthrough when I took a bajillion rounds of ammo with me.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
That Arma 3 mod is pretty, but I can't help noticing there are no anomalies.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Killswitch posted:

Theres also an SVU sniper rifle, lighter than SVD and still packs a good punch... You can even put a silencer on it but that may have just been an OGSE thing.

Clear Sky sucks in vanilla, granted, but even just adding the Complete mod makes it pretty decent. You just need to know ahead of time that theres no going back once you enter limansk. I really enjoyed the end game on my second playthrough when I took a bajillion rounds of ammo with me.

Hmmm, complete didn't solve the a) loving machine gun nest, b) loving near infinite bandit grenades and c) loving bandits stealing your poo poo every two steps.

Red Forest was loving awesome though, especially when you get to the tank, get assaulted by a billion mutants and then discover someone helpfully left a HMG for you.

e: shame you can't pilot the T72(?) around the zone though.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Killswitch posted:

The SVU is in vanilla. Good luck finding one, much less feeding it, though. VSS is awesome because you can actually reload the drat thing, and in a pinch you can magdump on a mutant that jumped out of a bush at you.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

It's more than a little satisfying to get the arc perfect, watching the bullet drop and nail someone in the head is great :getin:

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like I'm a bit late for the Clear Sky talk, but I feel as though if Clear Sky didn't have the bugs it had, the faction system was fixed, and moreover it contained many of the improvements found in the COP engine, that it might actually be a really great game.

Something along these lines may be happening, so just getting a feel for who would play something like this.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Sparkyhodgo posted:

I wouldn't say worst, but I would say uncharacteristic. It's so ... sunny. Not at all the desolate experience I was expecting after SoC. That said, I rather like the swamps.

Anyway, I would play the games in the order they were released. The finale of Clear Sky may ruin the mystery in SoC.

I wasn't even thinking about the sun, I think it still has normal weather cycles. My problem is that you can rarely see over 20m, so mutants can get on top of you before you can kill more than one of them. There's only cover in a few locations, so a lot of the time you fight bandits you just hope the AI doesn't decide it can see through the reeds. In the few instances that you do get to fight bandits with cover and distance, your guns have no accuracy, so you either try to close the distance and likely get shot while doing so, or waste a ton of ammo missing 1/2 your shots even in semi.

The latter point is a problem with early SoC and CS just in general, to be fair. I think they might have made the 74SU a little bit more accurate in CoP, because I didn't have as much of a problem with it. That could just be because you get better weapons quicker than in SoC and CS. The biggest problem with the swamps is how easy it is to get lost because there are no visual landmarks, just reeds, reeds, and more reeds. I feel like Zaton in CoP is Swamps, but good. There's still enough bushes and reeds that visibility is impaired running through those patches, but there's enough tall stuff and enough clear space that you can keep your bearings straight without looking at your PDA constantly.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Swartz posted:

Looks like I'm a bit late for the Clear Sky talk, but I feel as though if Clear Sky didn't have the bugs it had, the faction system was fixed, and moreover it contained many of the improvements found in the COP engine, that it might actually be a really great game.

Something along these lines may be happening, so just getting a feel for who would play something like this.

Those don't fix the dumb storyline.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

drkeiscool posted:

Those don't fix the dumb storyline.

The storyline was fine, wasn't it? Certainly no stupider than CoPs "You mean anomolies move????"

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Who plays for the story? I've never completed one of these games and they're still among my favourites of all time.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The endings for Stalker are all pretty cool. Even in the "good" ending you get hosed.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

The storyline was fine, wasn't it? Certainly no stupider than CoPs "You mean anomolies move????"
Small scale stories are fine, they don't have to be save-the-world stuff all the time. But yeah, it seemed like an obvious thing.

I never got into the Stalker stories. The game universe feels immersive enough that I generally create my own narrative when playing them. Its especially easy to rationalize it because the Zone is host to a really messed up California gold rush, and everyone with a half corroded gun wants in on it. It's easy to feel part of that experience, "marked one" or not, because no one really seems to care about you. Getting one-shot in an exoskeleton by some cheeki-breeki with his hunting rifle drives that point home.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 13, 2016

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I love the whole angle of secret labs and experiments and the military being engaged in an ongoing cover-up that you get to thwart; also the noosphere stuff. You are given just enough suggestive detail about the whole enterprise that you get to fill in the details for yourself as you lead up to, say, X-16 (the one near Yantar? It's been a while).

SoC is just a fantastically plotted game. Pripyat? Not so much, but it's so fun that it doesn't really matter.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Call of Pripyat is the story of a bureaucratic drone sent to investigate a situation that turns out to be the commanding officers being inept fuckups who couldn't plan their way out of a paper bag, but you're still forced to clean up their mess because you didn't luck into getting promoted high enough to not have to deal with this poo poo

Its very russian

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

P. much, yeah.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

OregonDonor posted:

I love the whole angle of secret labs and experiments and the military being engaged in an ongoing cover-up that you get to thwart; also the noosphere stuff. You are given just enough suggestive detail about the whole enterprise that you get to fill in the details for yourself as you lead up to, say, X-16 (the one near Yantar? It's been a while).

SoC is just a fantastically plotted game. Pripyat? Not so much, but it's so fun that it doesn't really matter.

That's part of why I really enjoyed Lost Alpha, late in the game you get the task to shut down a malfunctioning earthquake machine. It's just like, yeah, I can completely see random doomsday machines just lying around in the stalker 'verse.

Just lucky the cheeki-breekis didn't get to it first, really.

Control Volume posted:

Call of Pripyat is the story of a bureaucratic drone sent to investigate a situation that turns out to be the commanding officers being inept fuckups who couldn't plan their way out of a paper bag, but you're still forced to clean up their mess because you didn't luck into getting promoted high enough to not have to deal with this poo poo

Its very russian

At least they got around to giving you an AK to start with, though. Although I suspect the USS might just have access to better weapons.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Ddraig posted:

Eargesplitten asked for this so I figured I'd post it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/73syozmm8p49f17/Clear_Sky.7z

OGSM, the latest updated version I could find, with SWTC ontop of it.

This is basically like the original OGSM for SoC in that it adds a bunch of pseudo-cut content, and makes gameplay more varied/interesting. SWTC also looks nice.

It's very badly translated at the moment so YMMV

Huh. Didn't even know they made one for clear sky. I'll have to check that out at some point.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Hey, some of us like being able to fire up a hill and wind up hitting someone on the opposite slope.

Powercrazy posted:

The endings for Stalker are all pretty cool. Even in the "good" ending you get hosed.

The greed ending is probably one of my favorite in video games. Plus it's funny that the game has a deliberate "gently caress you" to people who grind for cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

OregonDonor posted:

I always preferred SoC to CoP. Cop is all laid out like WoW quest hubs. Soc is constantly sending you on missions 2 maps away without telling you it's the beginning of an arc that'll send you back and forth across 8 maps before you have another opportunity to repair or resupply, or that nobody past red forest is ever going to drop 5.45x39mm ammo. You really have to manage your inventory because guns and ammo are heavy and you've got a long way to go at the brink of exhaustion. It's a game full of painful lessons that you have to learn the hard way. In CoP you're always just a short walk away from swapping junk for bullets and repairing your gear and it really lends itself to makeing the same circular route around each map every time you play without any pressure to budget your ammo or be selective about what loot you pick up

The only thing that ever really elevated CoP gameplay beyond a slightly harder flavor of the same poo poo were alpha squads. They forced me to be super paranoid, always watching the horizon with binoculars, mapping long routes around my elbow to get to my objective while avoiding them, often through additional mutants I'd have preferred to avoid and with not enough ammo. Then the game became mostly about tracking/avoiding alpha squads as I geared up to exact my revenge against them though

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 14, 2016