Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Commie NedFlanders posted:

quote:

I started getting boobs in second/third grade :stonk:

:staredog: which book of the bible does that come from

I have no idea, some terrible one. I got made fun of for "stuffing my bra"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Jokes on me, I now have terrible back problems. Thanks, God. Maybe if I'd have gotten married then I'd be ok

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Pvt.Scott posted:

You can also use your religion as a tax shelter and money laundering machine!

Well yeah but that goes without saying.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Thin Privilege posted:

[/quote]

i'm sorry friend, my wifey was cursed with the boobage at a young age as well and i know it's not an easy burden.

keep up the good fight :wookie:

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
What if someone only develops like A cup boobs? Is that a curse from Satan or something?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

The Bible posted:

If you're male and in charge, whatever you want to do is absolutely fine with God.

ummm.....i don't think so Tim

if you're male and in charge, everyone under your authority is blessed in following you, but the male must submit to the Lord God

so if the whole family is acting foolish, following dad's lead, they are righteous for honoring their father, he's the one gonna get some tough love and discipline from God for not walking the righteous path. it's a responsibility, not a free pass to act a fool

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

it's like if you have a chaotic classroom with the kids acting stupid, principle skinner is gonna giving the to the teacher, because the kids are just following his/her lead

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I have boobs. Does that mean I'm a female for purposes of smoking Jesus?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

no it means you are a mockery of gods perfect creation, hit the gym

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k
I've seen commercials on TV where you can sue for gynecomastia, look into that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

In third grade I told a girl she wasn't actually a girl because she didn't have boobs. I hope she's forgotten because I still feel like an rear end in a top hat almost 20 years later. That's what all this talk made me think of.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Thin Privilege posted:

[/quote]

Same thing happened to a friend of mine in fourth grade. She got in trouble when she became so tired of the teasing that she flashed a bunch of kids on the playground to prove them wrong.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ZDar Fan posted:

Same thing happened to a friend of mine in fourth grade. She got in trouble when she became so tired of the teasing that she flashed a bunch of kids on the playground to prove them wrong.

kids learning to neg so young these days

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
She should have chosen one of the kids first and beat them up, held them down and slapped them in the face with her tittays. You have to establish dominance to frighten potential snitches.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
What do those people think of breast reduction surgery? A slap in God's face (or lack thereof if Chick is right)?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

reduction is a crime against humanity

The Bible
May 8, 2010

maybe ppl should stop trying to play liberal lawyer games with the letter of the law, and follow the spirit of the law.

Love God, Love thy Neighbor

it's simple really

I think you forgot the "burn forever in Hell if you don't believe Jesus is God" part.

Christian moderates usually do.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

ummm.....i don't think so Tim

if you're male and in charge, everyone under your authority is blessed in following you, but the male must submit to the Lord God

so if the whole family is acting foolish, following dad's lead, they are righteous for honoring their father, he's the one gonna get some tough love and discipline from God for not walking the righteous path. it's a responsibility, not a free pass to act a fool

Yet I can't help but notice how often what these leaders want also just happens to be exactly what God wants. Weird.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

The Bible posted:

I think you forgot the "burn forever in Hell if you don't believe Jesus is God" part.

Christian moderates usually do.

it's not a punishment it's an explanation ya goof

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

The Bible posted:

Yet I can't help but notice how often what these leaders want also just happens to be exactly what God wants. Weird.

uh that's called being a leader, beavis

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

just pray regularly and study the word diligently like you would physics or philosophy really dig in and get to know God and experience his presence and gain wisdom

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

just pray regularly and study the word diligently like you would physics or philosophy really dig in and get to know God and experience his presence and gain wisdom

which word?

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

mdm posted:

which word?

i prefer the collection of inspired works known as the Bible but you don't necessary have to split hairs to get a new 'do

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Tardigrade posted:

What do those people think of breast reduction surgery? A slap in God's face (or lack thereof if Chick is right)?

My insurance was going to cover it 100% until Obummercare came into play, now I can't afford it cause it's something like $20,000. So God has clearly spoken against it.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

i prefer the collection of inspired works known as the Bible but you don't necessary have to split hairs to get a new 'do

which bible? there are many bibles in the world, how am I supposed to know what your favorite book is :confused: you're very presumptuous

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mdm posted:

which bible? there are many bibles in the world, how am I supposed to know what your favorite book is :confused: you're very presumptuous

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

mdm posted:

i would just start one book at a time, alternate new testament and old testament each turn see how ya feel

realtalk i mainly use a King James version study bible on my tablet with background historical information and maps and stuff

my parents have some others, including a catholic bible and one side-be-side bible with english to greek translation i think it's really cool

Commie NedFlanders fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 9, 2016

red19fire
May 26, 2010

The Bible posted:

Wasn't there a show about The Real Pastors of Atlanta or something like that a few years ago? It was controversial because it showed they all have private jets and Mercedes while their churchgoers struggle to pay their electric bill?

Or Prosperity Gospel just as a concept :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHrVK2iOLXw

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

i would just start one book at a time, alternate new testament and old testament each turn see how ya feel

wait, now you're talking about MULTIPLE books? I thought there was just one. Please speak English, this Latin isn't working out for you.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

red19fire posted:

Wasn't there a show about The Real Pastors of Atlanta or something like that a few years ago? It was controversial because it showed they all have private jets and Mercedes while their churchgoers struggle to pay their electric bill?

Or Prosperity Gospel just as a concept :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHrVK2iOLXw

i stick with humble poor pastors, my uncle's been one for years and my respect for him is titanic

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Thought more happened in thread, turns out to be weak role player talking to themself

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Oh commie Ned I thought he was here to abloo bloo about the Jenkins family getting pozzed in prison

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

Oh commie Ned I thought he was here to abloo bloo about the Jenkins family getting pozzed in prison

all prisoners deserve human treatment :colbert:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

all prisoners deserve human treatment :colbert:

True.

King James Version is shameful for anything, though. Politically motivated translation more interested in sounding important than getting the message on point.

E: I exclusively use mesoamerican runes carved on human knucklebones as a randomizer for a biblical Markov chain to generate my holy texts.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 9, 2016

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Pvt.Scott posted:

True.

King James Version is shameful for anything, though. Politically motivated translation more interested in sounding important than getting the message on point.

when the original message is the incoherent ramblings of schizophrenics over the ages I don't think it matters too much tbh

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

mdm posted:

when the original message is the incoherent ramblings of schizophrenics over the ages I don't think it matters too much tbh

Look, only some of it is crazy ramblings. A lot of it is the typical myths and legends of a tribal people, some aphorisms and wise sayings, records of secular laws and some bits that are just straight up some dude writing a work log about who showed up to build a wall. Yeah, there's some kickin rad visions in there, but the prophecies are all fulfilled soon after they're made and the really weird stuff is still just dreams, metaphors or symbolism, a lot of which is hard to tell because the ancient language a good chunk of the book is full of is stuffed with confusing idioms and poo poo.

The "new testament" is really just a hippy "let's take it aaaaallllll as allegory," treatment of the old that spawned a bit of a messiah fad. One of those took off, but didn't get very far. It took the concerted effort of a man known both as Saul and Paul, a dual Jewish/Roman citizen, to take the tiny Jew cult and bring it to the uncircumcised masses.

That's why a good chunk of the back half of the book is Paul telling everyone they're doing it wrong. It was his baby, drat it!

Bringing a purposefully lovely translation to a fascinating but already confusing mess is just not cool.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

True.

E: I exclusively use mesoamerican runes carved on human knucklebones as a randomizer for a biblical Markov chain to generate my holy texts.

i'm not sure which translation would best communicate the spirit of the word to my soul, perhaps this is something for me to pray about.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

Pvt.Scott posted:

Look, only some of it is crazy ramblings. A lot of it is the typical myths and legends of a tribal people, some aphorisms and wise sayings, records of secular laws and some bits that are just straight up some dude writing a work log about who showed up to build a wall. Yeah, there's some kickin rad visions in there, but the prophecies are all fulfilled soon after they're made and the really weird stuff is still just dreams, metaphors or symbolism, a lot of which is hard to tell because the ancient language a good chunk of the book is full of is stuffed with confusing idioms and poo poo.

The "new testament" is really just a hippy "let's take it aaaaallllll as allegory," treatment of the old that spawned a bit of a messiah fad. One of those took off, but didn't get very far. It took the concerted effort of a man known both as Saul and Paul, a dual Jewish/Roman citizen, to take the tiny Jew cult and bring it to the uncircumcised masses.

That's why a good chunk of the back half of the book is Paul telling everyone they're doing it wrong. It was his baby, drat it!

Bringing a purposefully lovely translation to a fascinating but already confusing mess is just not cool.

i want to read more of your posts on this topic :pipe:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

i'm not sure which translation would best communicate the spirit of the word to my soul, perhaps this is something for me to pray about.

Nah, it's cool Ned. As long as you love the sinner and are down with the JC, the details don't matter too much. I'm just whining because I'm a nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

i want to read more of your posts on this topic :pipe:

A lot of my opinion is uneducated and scrabbled from half-remembered sources, I won't lie about that. For me, the important thing to remember is that living breathing humans wrote this stuff down.

Quite often they had an agenda, even if an entirely innocent one like in Song/Psalm of Solomon/Songs/Psalms. Dude was writing a high brow poem about how nice his woman's titties and rear end were.

When something bad happens, like a drought or whatever, and the tribe finds out later that some guy murdered his brother, they note that down as the tribe being punished for allowing wickedness to flourish. The local Levites can put the social squeeze on a whole community that way, for good or ill.

• Locked thread