Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Bravely Second is a direct sequel, it spoils the plot of the entire first game in the opening. That said it has new cast members and a new villian but some of the plot points won't have the same impact without recognizing them from the first game.. If you only were going to play one I'd play Bravely Second but going Bravely Default -> Like 6 months or something -> Bravely Second is probably ideal. BS right after BD would probably burn you out.

Ah thanks for explaining, I'll play them in order then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

If you want to play Triple Triad, just make sure to consult a guide on how to change the rules. Trust me, you don'twant to play with Random.

But, yes, if you play TT enough, you can have Aga spells within the first four or five hours of the game.

Random can be alright if you're refining all your bad cards anyway

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Tempo 119 posted:

Random can be alright if you're refining all your bad cards anyway

until you win a tri-face or whatever and can't refine them until you win 9 more

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

So just skip straight to bravely second? Or are they direct sequels?

you should skip to the sequel because bd1 is only half a game and it all gets reused in bd2

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, I'm working through Bravely Default 2 right now and I can't come up with a meaningful reason to bother playing the first one. Like even the neatish twist takes so long for the game to admit to it'll wear you down long before you should just quit playing it and start the sequel.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The boss fights are really good.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Barudak posted:

Yeah, I'm working through Bravely Default 2 right now and I can't come up with a meaningful reason to bother playing the first one. Like even the neatish twist takes so long for the game to admit to it'll wear you down long before you should just quit playing it and start the sequel.

Chapter 7 and 8 of BD have the best boss fights of both games.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Yeah, the optional bosses in the last couple chapters are really amazing and some of the most fun I've had with RPG boss fights.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked the story/cast quite a bit in BD1 even with its warts. More the villains than the heroes, but it was a fun time.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
The story really isn't the same at all, characterizations are very different, the sidequest stuff isn't the same, lots of enemy/boss differences that you can't chalk up that much to reuse, different classes and balancing. There's actually quite a bit different from Second that separates it despite the same systems. I actually am missing a lot of things from Default the more and more I play Second.

Like Impatom said, I'd agree that it's worth going through the first cause it does have it's own unique things to experience, but just take a small break between playing the 2 games to avoid a burnout.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I just read the boss description for the two-headed worm boss you fight in Bravely Second and what the actual gently caress guys

Who writes these games? Are they okay? How can so cheery and bright a game have so much horrifying poo poo in it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I just read the boss description for the two-headed worm boss you fight in Bravely Second and what the actual gently caress guys

Who writes these games? Are they okay? How can so cheery and bright a game have so much horrifying poo poo in it?
There's another similar description later - apparently the same team of scientists was... productive.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The main thing I miss going from BD to BS is the normal battle theme. That thing was excellent.

Also the best enemy description (so far) is the striped rabbit one.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

from what i played of the demo all of the music is a step down

I dunno whatever the boss music in Second is supposed to be but it is no That Person's Name Is... that's for sure

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How can so cheery and bright a game have so much horrifying poo poo in it?
Bravely Default and Bravely Second are by nooooo means cheery or bright. They are dark as gently caress, they just aren't outwardly grimdark so they don't signal it as much.

Like...pretty much everything in the Florem arc of the first game was abjectly horrifying.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Final Fantasy X is one of the more brightest and colorful jrpgs and it's arguably the most grim and hopeless world.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

Tae posted:

Final Fantasy X is one of the more brightest and colorful jrpgs and it's arguably the most grim and hopeless world.

FFX has both the best and the most Final Fantasy of settings, Spira forever :kamina:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
my favorite part in ffx is the scene where the party goes to bevelle to tell maester mika that they've killed yunalesca

and his immediate response to them telling him this information is to say "gently caress this we're all doomed" and then proceeds to send himself

that part was too good

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I dunno, VII had a pretty grim setting. Outside of the Gold Saucer, Costa Del Sol, Cosmo Canyon and... Kalm? Most places had a whole bunch of problems, especially the cesspool that is Midgar.

Plus the lack of visible transportation must be terrible advertising for places like Bone Village and that ski resort in the middle of nowhere.

I can't actually remember, was it ever explained why it's perpetually dark in Midgar? Even in the upper areas of the city it's universally night.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

I dunno, VII had a pretty grim setting. Outside of the Gold Saucer, Costa Del Sol, Cosmo Canyon and... Kalm? Most places had a whole bunch of problems, especially the cesspool that is Midgar.

Plus the lack of visible transportation must be terrible advertising for places like Bone Village and that ski resort in the middle of nowhere.

I can't actually remember, was it ever explained why it's perpetually dark in Midgar? Even in the upper areas of the city it's universally night.

Gold Saucer is built atop a slave labor camp, Costa del Sol is a resort town for the same executives bleeding the world dry, and Kalm is being driven to the edge of poverty by Mako energy obsoleting their main source of income. Shinra's got its tentacles everywhere, except Cosmo Canyon, which is nice and chill.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I always figured it was sheer smog, which ties in with the hellblight the size of western Europe surrounding it.
Of course, the hellblight could be due to the eight mako reactors.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

That's a good question, and my first instinct would be to say that it's obviously from all the smog that the mako plants produce, but... they don't? Mako energy seems to be pretty "clean". Everyone was burning coal and oil before mako came around.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I could be totally off, but IIRC you're only above the plate once or twice - it wouldn't be completely impossible to call it a coincidence.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

AlphaKretin posted:

I could be totally off, but IIRC you're only above the plate once or twice - it wouldn't be completely impossible to call it a coincidence.

And most of those times you're trying to commit crimes, so it's not unreasonable to assume you they choose to go at night on purpose. I'm pretty sure it's mostly a stylistic thing, like how it's always night in Blade Runner.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Mega64 posted:

Could you summarize his summary? Bonus points if your summary is longer than his.

I just did :colbert:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ApplesandOranges posted:

Because Shinra.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I think it's just a stylistic choice, because you get a lot of sunlight filtering through in the church and near Aeris's house.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tae posted:

It's pretty cool to see a corrupt jrpg church based on Buddhism instead of Christianity.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's pretty cool to see a corrupt jrpg church based on Buddhism instead of Christianity.

uhh Bevelle is literally the Vatican?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Ryyudo/status/729340781111074816

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Yevon Church is more like a mishmash of various different religions really. The temples from Shinto, rituals and aesthetic in the temples from Buddhism, the pilgrimage from Islam and the doctrine and heirarchy from Catholicism.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

religion is bad ok

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
gently caress you my religion lets me save my game

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Gonna pray for more HP.

Oh wait God ain't got poo poo on Curaja gently caress you God.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
Curaja will, in fact, help you even as you and your group of teenage friends are killing God.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The Yevon Church is more like a mishmash of various different religions really. The temples from Shinto, rituals and aesthetic in the temples from Buddhism, the pilgrimage from Islam and the doctrine and heirarchy from Catholicism.

And let's not pretend like Buddhism/Taoism/Confucianism/Hinduism have not in the past held roles of authority and had firm hierarchies and corruption and power-grabs and poo poo like that. Religion + government power = fuckery. Given the cycle of death in Spira is sort of a grimdark interpretation of death and reincarnation within Eastern tradition and the main character is awakened (or, say, enlightened) from a dream world, after which he finds himself protecting a sage on a long pilgrimage to save the entire world from suffering. It's like a Journey to the West meets Godzilla and Grave of the Fireflies.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

God pimped outmy robot which allowed me to kill the other god.

But when it comes to FF, I don't think we've ever killed "God." We've killed gods and would-be gods but never the big Capital G God. Wait, I forgot about Bhunivelze. But even then, I always heard FFXIII drew more inspiration from Shinto than Christianity. After all, the whole "Bhunivelze had a mom just like everyone else but then he killed her" isn't very in line with Abrahamic God.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The pantheon in FFXIII is generic Gnosticism with a critical head injury.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

NikkolasKing posted:

God pimped outmy robot which allowed me to kill the other god.

But when it comes to FF, I don't think we've ever killed "God." We've killed gods and would-be gods but never the big Capital G God. Wait, I forgot about Bhunivelze. But even then, I always heard FFXIII drew more inspiration from Shinto than Christianity. After all, the whole "Bhunivelze had a mom just like everyone else but then he killed her" isn't very in line with Abrahamic God.

The list of games where you kill god with a capital G is like Xenogears and maybe one of the SMT games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's like SMT1 where you kill YHWH, and is part of the reason NOA refused to touch it and the series took a long time to make its way overseas.