Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
i like radiohead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid Dick
May 25, 2004

I can't stop listening to Decks Dark.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Finally got home.

I really loved it. I think Identikit is the only one that threw me, just because I'm so used to the early live version (a classic radiohead problem). The intro to the song took a little while getting started, and yeah, the disco bridge caught me off guard. I'll have to see if it grows on me.

I think I honestly loved every other song, and am listening to it again now. That hasn't happened to me in a while. It's really inspiring that so many years into their career they can make an album like this.

edit: Also unlike Identikit, and previously Videotape, I'm immediately taken with the new official version of True Love Waits. It is completely stunning.

Princeps32 fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 9, 2016

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Definitely really good, and much better than TKOL. And they didn't pad the length this time with a terrible filler instrumental like pulk/pull or feral.

Not an enormous fan of what they did to True Love Waits, but it'll grow on me.

\/\/\/ TKOL should have been an EP consisting of only the last half of the album :colbert:

robodex fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 9, 2016

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
In Rainbows loving owned so I'm not going to play the "best album since X" game. But the new album is great, and certainly engaging me a lot more than TKOL('s first half) did...

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I'm really happy with it. I anticipated this one and had a feeling it would be good, I've been listening to it all day. I waited a long time for TLW, it's my favorite RH song, it's different but it should be and I like it a lot. Favorites are TLW obviously, The Numbers, Glass Eyes, Tinker Tailor, Decks Dark, but the album is solid imo. I liked TKoL, I like every RH release without exception, just some more than others, but I think LP9 is superior to TKoL. I mean, it's all just more music for us anyway so I'm happy.

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

net cafe scandal posted:

A Moon Shaped Poo.

"A Poon Shaped Fool: Radiohead's New Album Is Bad And Gay"

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
I love In Rainbows and Bodysnatchers and Arpeggi are some of my favorite songs off the album.

Anyway, swallowed my Spotify-pride and bought it off ITunes. It's definitely gonna be a grower for me, but that's okay. It is definitely more mellow, with less "wow" moments. I think I need to mull it over more before I figure it out.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
What a wonderful album. That's all I really have to say.

One thing, and this is not a slight against the album. If you replaced Thom with Matt Berninger and called this the new The National album, I would have believed you.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Am I the only one not feeling the production on this album? Everything has this milky gauze to it and I think it does a disservice to the detailed, layered arrangements on the record. I think they should have gone with a crisper mix.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HD DAD posted:

What a wonderful album. That's all I really have to say.

One thing, and this is not a slight against the album. If you replaced Thom with Matt Berninger and called this the new The National album, I would have believed you.

I can't stand The National and I'm actually offended at the comparison

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

It's not as sleepy as I was fearing. Really really great actually...

Decks Dark is my favorite and let me know right away that this was going to be a return to form. (I really don't like KOL)

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Huh. The new Radiohead is good.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Because I don't like listening to an album multiple times in short sequence, I went back to Kid A. Have you guys heard Kid A? It is a very good album.

The first two songs give me all the best chills. Kid A (the song) is even bringing me close to tears, and I intend to have it bring me ALL the ways to tears!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
First listen was interesting, every song was enjoyable but I kept hoping for at least one more urgent/panicked/whatever track like Burn the Witch. At the time I definitely felt like a lot of the middle bled together, so while each song had some great moments I had trouble remembering them after the fact. Hadn't even looked at the tracklist when I started it up, so was super pleased when True Love Waits came on.

It looped back to the second listen, and that was legit fantastic. I wasn't distracted by expectations or "hoping for more X" anymore, I just took each song at face value and dug into the layering and background and flourishes. Really surprised how much my opinion improved by the end of that second hour. Excited to see how they evolve the songs when performing live.

Don't think that any of these songs are cracking my top three of Let Down, Reckoner, and the live True Love Waits though.

Also The National is amazing so :hfive: to the poster who mentioned them earlier.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

kalensc posted:

First listen was interesting, every song was enjoyable but I kept hoping for at least one more urgent/panicked/whatever track like Burn the Witch.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any other songs by other bands that get across that urgent/panicked/whatever feeling of Burn the Witch?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Xanderkish posted:

Speaking of which, does anyone know of any other songs by other bands that get across that urgent/panicked/whatever feeling of Burn the Witch?

Depending on how big a joke you think Muse is, but try Map of the Problematique by them.

https://youtu.be/T1qzYsESDhc

Also Stockholm Syndrome.

https://youtu.be/gXN9acC9edU

They're good songs, OKAY

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Hedrigall posted:

Depending on how big a joke you think Muse is, but try Map of the Problematique by them.

https://youtu.be/T1qzYsESDhc

Also Stockholm Syndrome.

https://youtu.be/gXN9acC9edU

They're good songs, OKAY

Dude, some of my favorite songs are by Foster The People. This is a judgment-free zone. Thanks for the suggestions!

LL Fiesta!
Jul 30, 2002
hello
I'm a huge Radiohead fanboy and I'm having an emotional response to this album that I've never had with any other of their albums. I mean, I've binge-listened to every album from OK Computer on upon release, but this one is just hitting me. It's very beautiful.

And drat, I've always enjoyed True Love Waits, but it's never been one of my favorite songs. This version just nails it though.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Xanderkish posted:

Dude, some of my favorite songs are by Foster The People. This is a judgment-free zone. Thanks for the suggestions!

If you like those, a few more Muse songs that carry the same vibe are MK Ultra, City of Delusion and The Handler. You can find them!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Album has too many strings. Doubt it will be my most played RH album but I really like it. RH can't make a bad album and I'm glad they exist.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Glass Eyes is so loving beautiful, guys

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!

Hedrigall posted:

:agreed:

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

LL Fiesta! posted:

I'm a huge Radiohead fanboy and I'm having an emotional response to this album that I've never had with any other of their albums. I mean, I've binge-listened to every album from OK Computer on upon release, but this one is just hitting me. It's very beautiful.

And drat, I've always enjoyed True Love Waits, but it's never been one of my favorite songs. This version just nails it though.

I had quite an emotional response to it too. I wouldn't consider myself a fangirl but I have had a weird RH thing where every album they put out ends up correlating to things in my own life at the time. This one was no different. Having TLW on was just... well it was perfect.

Hedrigall posted:

That's when my goosebumps kicked in.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think Decks Dark is one of my favourite Radiohead songs ever now. There aren't any weak points on this record and that makes me very happy.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hi fellow Headers, just thought I'd suggest another album which just came out to all of you who don't know about it. If you like the gentle ethereal beautifulness of AMSP I doubt you won't love this, it's my personal album of the year so far:

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/28/475917617/first-listen-julianna-barwick-will

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It's too bad AMSP doesn't open with Ful Stop, and save Burn The Witch for the midpoint.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's too bad AMSP doesn't open with Ful Stop, and save Burn The Witch for the midpoint.

Yes but that's not how the alphabet works

(actually really like your switch, I'm going to do it)

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Agreed. I like all the songs on the album but it would be nice to break up the similar sound.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Took the opportunity to listen to the album in the dark with headphones while very baked and it was overall a great time.

Random first impressions -

Ful Stop is like being blasted through the time vortex or something, it's flippin awesome.

Glass Eyes was heartbreakingly beautiful.

I wasn't feeling Identikit til those big swirly synths kicked in, and then it was a total jam.

I never really 'got' True Love Waits before - it was a really nice song, for sure, but it never seemed as special as everyone made out. Now I get it. Holy poo poo.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The early live Identikit didn't really click with me, but I absolutely adore this version. In a three-way tie with Ful Stop and Present Tense for my favorite track on the album at this point.

Only tracks I think I don't love are Burn the Witch and True Love Waits. Burn the Witch because it's comparatively a bit unadventurous and feels like it's mainly there to be a single, and True Love Waits because... well, I'm not sure yet. I wasn't expecting it to sound like the live version, but it still surprised me. Maybe I'm too familiar with it and can't help but hear it as a mangled old Radiohead song that doesn't belong on here. Maybe if I'd heard the live acoustic Motion Picture Soundtrack first, I'd have felt the same way about the Kid A version.

I feel like next to True Love Waits, The Numbers is going to be the most divisive track on here. It's the most unapologetically psychedelic pop-sounding thing they've ever done, and the arrangement is quite busy, but I think it really works.

I was thinking exactly this 2/3 of the way through my first listen. Even just opening with Ful Stop and keeping the rest of the track order the same feels like it flows better.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 9, 2016

DownItGoes
Jul 1, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

Hopefully not too far removed from the genre/style you might be after but I like this:
Stress by Justice

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Rollersnake posted:

I was thinking exactly this 2/3 of the way through my first listen. Even just opening with Ful Stop and keeping the rest of the track order the same feels like it flows better.

But then they wouldn't be alphabetical :engleft:

Don We Now
Apr 18, 2005

For those of you who don't habla espanola, "El Poptart" is Spanish for.... The Poptart.

Xanderkish posted:

Because I don't like listening to an album multiple times in short sequence, I went back to Kid A. Have you guys heard Kid A? It is a very good album.

The first two songs give me all the best chills. Kid A (the song) is even bringing me close to tears, and I intend to have it bring me ALL the ways to tears!

I did the same thing for the True Love Waits > EIIRP transition :haw:

(light another candle...)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

This version of True Love Waits is just absolutely heartstopping. Radiohead has always had arresting final tracks and this might just be the best one yet. I had it on while cleaning to let the songs absorb, and when it TLW I had to just sit down and listen.

As far as cohesive, thematic albums, this is the best one since Kid A. I'm goddamn floored.
edit: if any album existed as a sum totalling of their career so far, this is it. I'm hearing bits and pieces of each era on this album.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 09:06 on May 9, 2016

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

Am I the only one not feeling the production on this album? Everything has this milky gauze to it and I think it does a disservice to the detailed, layered arrangements on the record. I think they should have gone with a crisper mix.

There's always one

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

After my first listen, I'm not really feeling this one too much :smith: I loving love Ful Stop, Identikit, The Numbers and True Love Waits, but I feel like I could never listen to the rest of the tracks for the rest of my life and be totally fine with that.

I'm bummed that this is the 2nd Radiohead album in a row that I haven't enjoyed much after being a fan of well over a decade, but yeah, here we are. I hope they start making interesting music again one of these days. Most of these tracks don't feel like they gave me any compelling reason to revisit them, which is not something I ever thought I'd say about a Radiohead album before like 5 and a half years ago.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
No I mean, I need to hear these old versions of the songs re-done/finished for AMSP, aside from True Loves Waits. I'd like to hear how they've changed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
From my (admittedly sole) listening so far, this is might be Radiohead's most head-phone-y album yet. There're a lot of tracks where they leave the centre channel relatively empty for a lot of the run time, but there's some really cool stuff going on hard left and right in the background.

While I'm unsure about some of the tracks as songs in themselves, the production on this thing is an absolute treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Barry Foster posted:

From my (admittedly sole) listening so far, this is might be Radiohead's most head-phone-y album yet. There're a lot of tracks where they leave the centre channel relatively empty for a lot of the run time, but there's some really cool stuff going on hard left and right in the background.

While I'm unsure about some of the tracks as songs in themselves, the production on this thing is an absolute treat.

If nothing else, this is the best production job Godrich has ever done. It sounds otherworldy and surreal, but unlike Kid A, it actually sounds like humans are playing the instruments. Get some audiophile quality headphones with a good soundstage, and immerse yourself. It's unbelievable. Tiny details like how Thom's voice creaks on True Love Waits sounds so raw and real.