Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Aaaaannd once again the thread lives up to its given title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I remember a decade ago when you could go to the Genius Bar and they would give you a free bottle of Evian water. They took the "bar" too seriously and also water + laptops don't mix.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The Genius "Bar" now refers to the soap-like nature of the iPhone 6 series

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Actually it refers to the backroom employees drinking the isopropyl alcohol to get hosed up on their breaks because Scooter didn't come through with the whip-its AGAIN

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, broken macbook pro 2013 screen? How hosed am I?

It's cracked and my two year AppleCare plan has expired

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

JFairfax posted:

Assuming it's a Late 2013 Retina 15", it's not "user friendly" but if you are an intermediate computer person, you can take it on without issue. The display is around $400 for the 15" Late 2013 Retina, iirc.

Edit: I picked that model randomly. If you give the part of 2013 it was released in and screen size and type, there's probably a guide on iFixit that you can take on.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks. Yeah I have replaced laptop screen before, but not on a Mac.

Well it's my work machine so they will cover repairs or replacement but annoyingly I am traveling at the moment and need to use the thing. Can always use the HDMI out and be productive.

it was a late 2013 model 13 inch retina

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

If it was actually broken and not a manufacturing defect I doubt that AppleCare would've covered it in any event.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

JFairfax posted:

Thanks. Yeah I have replaced laptop screen before, but not on a Mac.

Well it's my work machine so they will cover repairs or replacement but annoyingly I am traveling at the moment and need to use the thing. Can always use the HDMI out and be productive.

it was a late 2013 model 13 inch retina
Here is the guide. iFixit has the display for $350.

A screen is no big deal. The big deal is when you watch someone drop a pot of coffee on the rMBP that just came out of the box.....

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Arsten posted:

Here is the guide. iFixit has the display for $350.

A screen is no big deal. The big deal is when you watch someone drop a pot of coffee on the rMBP that just came out of the box.....

Someone at work did this with water and he got the nickname "baby killer" for a while. It's remarkable what a bath in 99% alcohol can do to save a water damaged Mac though.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

8ender posted:

Someone at work did this with water and he got the nickname "baby killer" for a while. It's remarkable what a bath in 99% alcohol can do to save a water damaged Mac though.

It wasn't salvageable, and you bet we did try. Problem was that it was on and doing the first boot up. I was fairly convinced we'd shorted it when a distilled water rinse followed by an alcohol bath did nothing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

treiz01 posted:

Is it really that bad? I've been scoping out some egpu forums and it doesn't look too difficult. I should mention I'm employed as a computer technician who builds computers on the side...
Even if it works right, the setups I've seen don't seem particularly portable, mostly cause the external PSU you need to carry around too. I dunno, maybe something decent is possible with the newer bus powered GPUs (some 970s and some AMD one). Pricier but possibly more convenient option might be a tiny PC build.

JFairfax posted:

Not that it matters in this case (assuming it was the result of an accident) but isn't AppleCare for Macs two years on top of the normal one year, i.e. three years coverage from purchase?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Retina displays are very easy to do.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

japtor posted:

Even if it works right, the setups I've seen don't seem particularly portable, mostly cause the external PSU you need to carry around too. I dunno, maybe something decent is possible with the newer bus powered GPUs (some 970s and some AMD one). Pricier but possibly more convenient option might be a tiny PC build.

i guess it probably depends on your definition of portable? Probably a reasonable compromise vs buying a giant gaming ridiculo-notebook. I'm for sure looking forward to seeing how the Core does, but it just seems so loving expensive.

japtor posted:

Not that it matters in this case (assuming it was the result of an accident) but isn't AppleCare for Macs two years on top of the normal one year, i.e. three years coverage from purchase?

yes

You can always look up coverage dates by the serial number, too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

The T-series Thinkpads have as good of touchpads as they do screens.

Just to be clear everyone gets it, this means that they are absolute bottom of the industry garbage.

The first laptop I got here was a T540 with a 1366x768 TN panel. What. The. gently caress.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Pivo posted:

We just simply banned incandescent bulbs: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...rticle22739434/

Do they even make CFL/LED bulbs you can put in your refrigerator or in your oven, or do people in your country simply have unlit refrigerators and ovens? Because I know that's still one application for special appliance incandescent bulbs.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

kuroshi posted:

Do they even make CFL/LED bulbs you can put in your refrigerator or in your oven, or do people in your country simply have unlit refrigerators and ovens? Because I know that's still one application for special appliance incandescent bulbs.

Uhmmmmmm... I think my fridge is LED since it's a new Samsung but I'd have to check, I don't know about the oven or the overhead fan/light unit, it's warm like an incandescent bulb, so I imagine it is, I think the ban is only on certain wattages so low-power bulbs like oven lights and whatever can still exist.

But yeah they make LED equivalents for pretty much every receptacle type I believeeeeee, don't quote me on that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
We keep an led and a cfl outdoors all winter and it stays around -25c for loving months and they work fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

AlternateAccount posted:

Just to be clear everyone gets it, this means that they are absolute bottom of the industry garbage.

The first laptop I got here was a T540 with a 1366x768 TN panel. What. The. gently caress.

You should have paid the $50 extra they ask for to get a 1080p IPS display.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Even then... Lenovo is shady as gently caress with LCDs. Lots of people complaining over the X1 Carbon LCD lottery: some have LGs which are fine, whereas others are getting seizure-inducing Panasonics with PWM. This on a $2k laptop.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

Sometimes it's a work laptop and there's no avoiding that netbook-level screen.

Like my current T430 which...:smith:

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

tuyop posted:

We keep an led and a cfl outdoors all winter and it stays around -25c for loving months and they work fine.

Same, the CFL isn't as bright when you first turn it on but once it warms up it's fine.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
rMB 2016 has some weird rear end jerkiness. I wonder how related it is to p-state management.

e: need to watch actual thermals, but from touch, I think the m7 could use active cooling.

krooj fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 5, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kuroshi posted:

Incandescent 40/60/75/100w common household bulbs are being phased out. Any speciality bulbs can still be manufactured. That includes appliance bulbs, bulbs for chandeliers and vanity sockets and even regular clear household bulbs labeled "workshop bulbs".

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I sure loving hope not because CFLs and LEDs explode in ovens.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pryor on Fire posted:

I sure loving hope not because CFLs and LEDs explode in ovens.

Yeah I'm not sure I'd put CFLs anywhere near food. I do wonder if they make LED oven replacements tho. I bought an LED appliance bulb when the one in my microwave blew and it's been working great so far (but then no reason for it to get very hot where it is now).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mediaphage posted:

Yeah I'm not sure I'd put CFLs anywhere near food. I do wonder if they make LED oven replacements tho. I bought an LED appliance bulb when the one in my microwave blew and it's been working great so far (but then no reason for it to get very hot where it is now).

Even with a heatsink, diodes freak the gently caress out around 155 C. Without (and I can't imagine how you heatsink in an oven, it's not like an external heat sink would make sense or even be safe) it's around 130 C or so.

It's far cheaper from both a production and energy use standpoint to just have a purpose made incandescent. They're fairly low wattage, and it's not like they're used except briefly in a day to day sense.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I would guess that special-purpose incandescent bulbs will be around for a fair while after we're all using energy-efficient bulbs in our regular home lighting and whatnot. Much like diesel/gasoline engines will still be used in industrial and military settings after we're all driving electric cars simply because of the increased power and durability under stress.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Incandescent 40/60/75/100w common household bulbs are being phased out. Any speciality bulbs can still be manufactured. That includes appliance bulbs, bulbs for chandeliers and vanity sockets and even regular clear household bulbs labeled "workshop bulbs".

So they now make LED appliance bulbs that can roast in a 250˚C oven? Cool, so glad they're phasing out that totally obsolete technology that nobody needs any more.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

kuroshi posted:

So they now make LED appliance bulbs that can roast in a 250˚C oven? Cool, so glad they're phasing out that totally obsolete technology that nobody needs any more.

You really didn't read what you quoted there did you?

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
No, I didn't. I misread it as suggesting that specialty bulbs being phased out as well. I kind of pulled an all-nighter last night and have been awake for well over 24 hours now. I need sleep, obviously.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
I pulled 2 old Macs out of my basement. Need to get rid of them before we move at the end of the month. Is either useful to anyone somewhere, or should I just take them to electronics recycling?

•12" PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz PowerPC, 1.25GB RAM (yes, I know it's obsolete, but maybe someone has a need?)
•17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz Core2Due 8GB RAM

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

beefnoodle posted:

•17" Macbook Pro 2.6Ghz Core2Due 8GB RAM

Does this work? How much do you want for it

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

it works, although I think the battery doesn't hold a charge. Yours for shipping. PM me to get the ball rolling.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dude sell me that Powerbook

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

beefnoodle posted:

it works, although I think the battery doesn't hold a charge. Yours for shipping. PM me to get the ball rolling.

Don't have PM's. email or Paypal request to vasqzr@netscape.net? Ship to 48722

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

@netscape.net? Daaaaamn son.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pivo posted:

@netscape.net? Daaaaamn son.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

No PMs? Netscape? Middle of nowhere Michigan? Are you sure you wouldn't rather have the PowerBook G4? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

beefnoodle posted:

No PMs? Netscape? Middle of nowhere Michigan? Are you sure you wouldn't rather have the PowerBook G4? :)

So much about him is starting to make more sense..... :allears: