Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
So I've never really been into wanting to build a computer at the same time as new GPUs are being released. How long does it typically take for new cards to be readily available in the retail world? Could I walk into a bestbuy or an log onto amazon and buy a 1080 within the week it is released to to the public, or are we looking at this being something that realistically won't be on the shelves for a month or more after its official release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

So I've never really been into wanting to build a computer at the same time as new GPUs are being released. How long does it typically take for new cards to be readily available in the retail world? Could I walk into a bestbuy or an log onto amazon and buy a 1080 within the week it is released to to the public, or are we looking at this being something that realistically won't be on the shelves for a month or more after its official release?

Impossible to say really. Sometimes launches happen and there are plenty of cards available, sometimes you are on a waiting list for weeks or months.

Really the only info we might have in the lead up to the release date would be leaks from retail employees, if we get multiple photos of shipping pallets full of 1080s then we will know, until then it's way up in the air.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Probably a dumb question but here goes.

I currently have 2 4g sticks of ddr3 1333 but I was thinking about adding more. Im not sure I can fit 2 more sticks due to my cooler interfering. Is it ok or even worth it to add a 3rd stick and run 12mb?

Current rig:

MOBO - ASUS P8Z77-V LX
CPU - I5 3570K
COOLER - HYPER 212
Case - Corsair Carbide 400r

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Whale Cancer posted:

I currently have 2 4g sticks of ddr3 1333 but I was thinking about adding more. Im not sure I can fit 2 more sticks due to my cooler interfering. Is it ok or even worth it to add a 3rd stick and run 12mb?

Current rig:

MOBO - ASUS P8Z77-V LX
CPU - I5 3570K
COOLER - HYPER 212

I wouldn't, you can try but I have seen lots of systems get really unstable when running weird RAM configs like that, some won't even boot like that. You should be able to fit a couple more sticks though, just make sure they are short ones, you can pop the fan off the 212 evo, get the new RAM in and pop the fan back on.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

So, this is a more general question as I look into replacing my five-year-old PC with something that can actually play modern games. What should I be looking into if I want as quiet a PC as possible, without sacrificing performance, and without getting into something as complicated as a custom watercooling rig? As in, I'm willing to spend more for components, but I'd like to keep the assembly relatively straightforward. The goal would be high-performance gaming (I'm aiming to buy one of the Nvidia 1080s that are about to be released).

For instance, what's a high-quality case for something like this? I wouldn't think I'd need something big, since I don't plan to do SLI, and would have maybe two SSD and one conventional HDD. Room for an optical drive would be a plus, since I use my PC to rip movies for hosting on a media server.

edit: I guess since I'm asking the question, I'm open to full builds if that's easier:
  • What country are you in? United States
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming, including VR
  • What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Would like to keep the total under $5k. Am planning a monitor replacement as well, but will budget separately.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Just gaming
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Would like to support VR, 1440p at least, maybe even 4k if possible

With the idea that this would be built as soon as I could get my hands on a 1080, and I understand nobody can recommend a specific card for that yet.

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 8, 2016

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.
Finally going about replacing my computer (Still using an Intel Duo Core).

What country are you in?: United States
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? 800 - 900
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Using a 1600 x 900 monitor. I am satisfied with decent graphics. Don't need all the bells and whistles and insane FPS but I like them to run smooth enough with some good graphics settings.

Basically I yoinked the Performance Build from the OP. Since it is technically under budget I am open to spending a smidge more to upgrade anything a bit further.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

So, this is a more general question as I look into replacing my five-year-old PC with something that can actually play modern games. What should I be looking into if I want as quiet a PC as possible, without sacrificing performance, and without getting into something as complicated as a custom watercooling rig? As in, I'm willing to spend more for components, but I'd like to keep the assembly relatively straightforward. The goal would be high-performance gaming (I'm aiming to buy one of the Nvidia 1080s that are about to be released).

For instance, what's a high-quality case for something like this? I wouldn't think I'd need something big, since I don't plan to do SLI, and would have maybe two SSD and one conventional HDD. Room for an optical drive would be a plus, since I use my PC to rip movies for hosting on a media server.

edit: I guess since I'm asking the question, I'm open to full builds if that's easier:
  • What country are you in? United States
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming, including VR
  • What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Would like to keep the total under $5k. Am planning a monitor replacement as well, but will budget separately.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Just gaming
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Would like to support VR, 1440p at least, maybe even 4k if possible

With the idea that this would be built as soon as I could get my hands on a 1080, and I understand nobody can recommend a specific card for that yet.

Well, with that budget pretty much anything is possible, let me whip up a spec for you:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($163.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($317.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($324.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($273.05 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.82 @ Amazon)
Other: GTX 1080 Founders Edition ($699.99)
Total: $2506.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 15:52 EDT-0400

Unfortunately it does not have an optical drive, those are usually omitted from SFF cases because most people don't use them and they take up a lot of space, I recommend an external USB optical drive instead. If you want an mATX build with an optical drive I could whip something up for you, just ask. :)

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Republicans posted:

I did too knowing what was coming but I said "gently caress it, the 970 is more than enough for 1080p." I feel like if I were gonna get anything better it would be part of a whole new machine in service of a fancy new monitor or some awesome VR thing that justifies owning a VR headset.

I see this comment a lot and I don't get it. VR is a lot like a good joystick, or a monitor, or a graphics card. No one game by itself is ever gonna "justify" it, you either want one or you don't. But conveniently, there's more than one game that utilizes these technologies! It's not a one-off value proposition, you'll keep using it until it falls apart or is replaced. So if you want one, just get it. If you're waiting for some magical dream title that's singularly worth $800 for hardware that's a funky mindset and you're going to wait forever.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

MisterFuzzles posted:

Finally going about replacing my computer (Still using an Intel Duo Core).

What country are you in?: United States
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? 800 - 900
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Using a 1600 x 900 monitor. I am satisfied with decent graphics. Don't need all the bells and whistles and insane FPS but I like them to run smooth enough with some good graphics settings.

Basically I yoinked the Performance Build from the OP. Since it is technically under budget I am open to spending a smidge more to upgrade anything a bit further.

Here is a (much)more powerful build for $905:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.17 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $905.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 15:59 EDT-0400

This will last you a lot longer even if you upgrade your monitor, basically it's much more future-proof. You might want to wait on sales for the video card, I expect there will be some big sales with the GTX 1080 & 1070 having been announced.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, with that budget pretty much anything is possible, let me whip up a spec for you:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240M 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($98.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Black 6TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($273.05 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.82 @ Amazon)

Unfortunately it does not have an optical drive, those are usually omitted from SFF cases because most people don't use them and they take up a lot of space, I recommend an external USB optical drive instead. If you want an mATX build with an optical drive I could whip something up for you, just ask. :)

That's a nice-looking case. Attractive without any of the garish gaming poo poo.

External USB optical makes a lot of sense, particularly if it gets me a case I can move around easily, as then I can also move it between machines. I appreciate the suggestion.

Unless anyone has suggested improvements, I'll probably pull the trigger on that, get it running with the integrated graphics, then just slot in the 1080 once I can get my hands on one. Thanks!

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?
Purpose: Gaming/work/general use (upgrade)
Budget: Under AU$500

I'm looking at upgrading my existing system and just want to validate what I've picked.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.00 @ Umart)
Total: $479.00

For reference I've got an existing GTX 760 which I think will do me for a little while yet, at least until the current gen card prices drop. From memory my current PSU is 430W.

Any problems with this build?

Also, what's going to happen to my existing Windows 10 install when I do this? Am I going to need to do a full reinstall?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Bent Wookiee posted:

Purpose: Gaming/work/general use (upgrade)
Budget: Under AU$500

I'm looking at upgrading my existing system and just want to validate what I've picked.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($275.00 @ Centre Com)
Motherboard: Asus H170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($45.00 @ Umart)
Total: $479.00

For reference I've got an existing GTX 760 which I think will do me for a little while yet, at least until the current gen card prices drop. From memory my current PSU is 430W.

Any problems with this build?

Also, what's going to happen to my existing Windows 10 install when I do this? Am I going to need to do a full reinstall?

The part choices look fine. If you have an OEM license you will need a new Windows license since the license is tied to the motherboard, if it's a retail copy you can just reinstall, you would want to reinstall regardless because of the significant hardware changes.

Bent Wookiee
Feb 23, 2007

AAAHHH!!?

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The part choices look fine. If you have an OEM license you will need a new Windows license since the license is tied to the motherboard, if it's a retail copy you can just reinstall, you would want to reinstall regardless because of the significant hardware changes.

Awesome. Thanks!

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
hello friends. i have been hemming and hawing about building a new pc for a while and i figured i might as well just rip off the bandaid.
I don't really know much about hardware wrt gaming so some things in this post might sound silly to you all, please forgive me

here is my current pc thats just kind of a hodgepodge ive been throwing new parts into for a couple years:

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 19:17 EDT-0400

I'm planning on using it mostly for gaming. but as for what im trying to get out of it, I've been playing fallout 4 and overwatch. i can get them to run currently, but just barely. I'm just looking to build something that can at least run those well at even low-med settings. also, its gonna be hooked up to a1920x1080 TV.

I was thinking about cannibalizing whatever i could from my old one if its acceptable. definitely my BD drive it's brand new and i do use it, possibly my gpu, psu or memory??? depending on what y'all think, I'm flexible.

My current case is pretty big (but I don't really know how big gaming pc cases usually are so maybe its a more normal size) so i would like to get something a little smaller but I'm not really looking to make it tiny or anything, just downsize a little bit.

I know there's no such thing as futureproofing, but I'm at least lookin to make something that'll keep me afloat maybe a few years until I feel like upgrading again.

I don't personally care about an SSD, and I've never used one, but the OP makes it sound pretty crucial. If it really is so important I can mull it over, but I was thinking about just getting a 2tb HDD or something because I'd rather just have one drive for everything and 1tb SSDs are a little on the more expensive side from what I see.
On this same note, I had used Acronis when I got a new HDD before and I was wondering if it would be okay to use from Old PC-> New PC. I know fresh installs are great but I just like having everything I had, where I had it y'know.

I'm in the US and ideally I'd like to keep it sub-$1000.

Sorry if this post is all over the place I typed it over a couple hours just putting in things as I thought of them. I will try and answer any questions to the best of my ability.
I look forward to trying to figure all this out with you fine folk

sincerely,
me

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Whale Cancer posted:

Current rig:

MOBO - ASUS P8Z77-V LX
CPU - I5 3570K
COOLER - HYPER 212

I also have a Hyper 212 on a P8Z68-V LX which is almost identical in layout and I'm assuming you mean the CPU fan's in the way. If that's the case you should be able to gently slide the fan up on the cooler a little bit, so that the memory stick will fit in under it. Once you have the memory in you can slide the fan back down and you'll be good.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

AfroGunsou posted:

hello friends. i have been hemming and hawing about building a new pc for a while and i figured i might as well just rip off the bandaid.
I don't really know much about hardware wrt gaming so some things in this post might sound silly to you all, please forgive me

here is my current pc thats just kind of a hodgepodge ive been throwing new parts into for a couple years:

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: AMD A4-5300 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI A55M-E33 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card
Case: Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 19:17 EDT-0400

I'm planning on using it mostly for gaming. but as for what im trying to get out of it, I've been playing fallout 4 and overwatch. i can get them to run currently, but just barely. I'm just looking to build something that can at least run those well at even low-med settings. also, its gonna be hooked up to a1920x1080 TV.

I was thinking about cannibalizing whatever i could from my old one if its acceptable. definitely my BD drive it's brand new and i do use it, possibly my gpu, psu or memory??? depending on what y'all think, I'm flexible.

My current case is pretty big (but I don't really know how big gaming pc cases usually are so maybe its a more normal size) so i would like to get something a little smaller but I'm not really looking to make it tiny or anything, just downsize a little bit.

I know there's no such thing as futureproofing, but I'm at least lookin to make something that'll keep me afloat maybe a few years until I feel like upgrading again.

I don't personally care about an SSD, and I've never used one, but the OP makes it sound pretty crucial. If it really is so important I can mull it over, but I was thinking about just getting a 2tb HDD or something because I'd rather just have one drive for everything and 1tb SSDs are a little on the more expensive side from what I see.
On this same note, I had used Acronis when I got a new HDD before and I was wondering if it would be okay to use from Old PC-> New PC. I know fresh installs are great but I just like having everything I had, where I had it y'know.

I'm in the US and ideally I'd like to keep it sub-$1000.

Sorry if this post is all over the place I typed it over a couple hours just putting in things as I thought of them. I will try and answer any questions to the best of my ability.
I look forward to trying to figure all this out with you fine folk

sincerely,
me

You can keep the video card and blu-ray player, everything else needs to be replaced. An upgrade to the video card would be a good idea but new video cards are coming out right now so prices are in flux so it's probably a good idea to wait on that, plus the 750ti is still a decent card for low-medium settings when paired with modern parts. You really should get an SSD, it's a huge performance increase, easily the biggest performance boost available for non-gaming use. Anyway, here's a spec to look over:

Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($226.32 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Thermaltake Core V31 ATX Mid Tower Case ($63.67 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.49 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $664.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-08 21:06 EDT-0400

That leaves plenty of room in your budget to get a better video card over the next few weeks, people are already offloading their 980tis for ~$310 so if you get a used card you could have a system capable of maxing everything out in any game for under 1k total.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Thanks again for doing this. When I'm looking at GTX 1080 models, am I going to need one with a blower like the Founders Edition is supposed to have, or will there be sufficient internal flow for one that just cools internally within the case? I'm thinking about the noise that I hear blowers cause.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Sir Kodiak posted:

Thanks again for doing this. When I'm looking at GTX 1080 models, am I going to need one with a blower like the Founders Edition is supposed to have, or will there be sufficient internal flow for one that just cools internally within the case? I'm thinking about the noise that I hear blowers cause.

There will be enough airflow that you can go with an open cooler design, but I'm not sure how long you will need to wait for one to be available.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You can keep the video card and blu-ray player, everything else needs to be replaced. An upgrade to the video card would be a good idea but new video cards are coming out right now so prices are in flux so it's probably a good idea to wait on that, plus the 750ti is still a decent card for low-medium settings when paired with modern parts. You really should get an SSD, it's a huge performance increase, easily the biggest performance boost available for non-gaming use. Anyway, here's a spec to look over:

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Purchased For $0.00)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)

That leaves plenty of room in your budget to get a better video card over the next few weeks, people are already offloading their 980tis for ~$310 so if you get a used card you could have a system capable of maxing everything out in any game for under 1k total.

This sounds good my dude, thanks much. I will hold off on a new gpu for now and maybe set up a pricewatch for a 980ti and see how that goes.
Will I need to get any extra fans or whatnot or are the ones that come in the case sufficient?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

There will be enough airflow that you can go with an open cooler design, but I'm not sure how long you will need to wait for one to be available.

I appreciate that. Until my Vive ships I'll have some leeway to wait if necessary, though there's a limit to how long I'll want to do so. Thanks!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

AfroGunsou posted:

This sounds good my dude, thanks much. I will hold off on a new gpu for now and maybe set up a pricewatch for a 980ti and see how that goes.
Will I need to get any extra fans or whatnot or are the ones that come in the case sufficient?

It comes with one rear exhaust fan and two front intake fans which should be plenty, most cases only come with one or two.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Is an upgrade from an overclocked i5-2500K worth it yet?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

El Generico posted:

Hmmm, not really, though you should look at benchmarks and such, there are some pretty good gains in minimum frame rates going from a 2500k to a 6600k.

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

El Generico posted:

For gaming? It's on the borderline.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZxZiksWtRQ

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

In terms of picking out a CPU fan, what is something that is "whisper" quiet, that is not water cooled? I'm looking at the Noctua NH-D15, but in terms of fitting it into a Corsair 250D; I don't know if something like that is possible.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

obi_ant posted:

In terms of picking out a CPU fan, what is something that is "whisper" quiet, that is not water cooled? I'm looking at the Noctua NH-D15, but in terms of fitting it into a Corsair 250D; I don't know if something like that is possible.

Your best bet is probably a Noctua NH-L12, that is about the largest thing that will fit in a 250D that isn't an AIO water cooler.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

Could I substitute in Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory instead? for no other reason than those Kingston sticks on Amazon say they won't ship for 2-3 weeks and the Crucial ones are available now

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

obi_ant posted:

FYI water cooling is noticeably louder than the best air cooling because you'll have the 2-3 120mm fans on the radiator plus the pump to worry about rather than the single 120-140mm fan on the big tower coolers.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Hmm. It looks like that I myself will get a 6600K when I build my next system since I could only get 4.2GHz out of my 2500K but is the 6600K just as easy to overclock?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Alright then, so my PC build is (mostly) 4 years old, and it still kind of holds up these days since I upgraded from an AMD 7850 to a GTX 970 4gb.

Processor: i5 3570k
motherboard: Gigabyte z77-d3h
RAM: Samsung Green (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz
GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 4gb

I'm not sure where to go from here. I was thinking either swap out the RAM to 16gb of 2400MHz DDR3 as a short term solution, or buy a new case, PSU, MB, CPU and RAM, and throw the 970 in there. I feel that the CPU is still up to the task, but I might be completely out on that.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Falken posted:

Alright then, so my PC build is (mostly) 4 years old, and it still kind of holds up these days since I upgraded from an AMD 7850 to a GTX 970 4gb.

Processor: i5 3570k
motherboard: Gigabyte z77-d3h
RAM: Samsung Green (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C11 1600MHz
GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 4gb

I'm not sure where to go from here. I was thinking either swap out the RAM to 16gb of 2400MHz DDR3 as a short term solution, or buy a new case, PSU, MB, CPU and RAM, and throw the 970 in there. I feel that the CPU is still up to the task, but I might be completely out on that.

Overclock the CPU (maybe get a cooler, if you don't have one), and get an SSD. Maybe start thinking about PSU change? Otherwise it's still fine.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

mmkay posted:

Overclock the CPU (maybe get a cooler, if you don't have one), and get an SSD. Maybe start thinking about PSU change? Otherwise it's still fine.
I should have mentioned that I do have the CPU overclocked with a tower cooler. PSU is 750w

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I keep putting off replacing my CPU for longer and longer!

I'm on a small budget and looking at i3-6100 vs i5-4590.

They seem to benchmark similar in single core. I do a lot of gaming at 1080p, mostly MMOs and soon, Overwatch, and I'm not sure how much those give a poo poo about having more cores. Can you guys help sell me on saving $50 and getting the i3?

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 9, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I've heard that MMOs are CPU heavy but I haven't played one in a while so I'm not sure I can help you decide between an i3 and an i5.

What I can do is tell you not to buy either of those. I think the choice that makes more sense is i3-6100 vs i5-6500. The 6300 is a negligible improvement over the 6100 and if you're trying to save money you might as well get the latter. Meanwhile the 4590 has been replaced by the 6500, and while it won't really perform noticeably better, there's no reason to buy an older processor unless you're getting a good deal on a used one or already have a motherboard with the right socket and are going from an i3 to an i5 or something.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

HMS Boromir posted:

I've heard that MMOs are CPU heavy but I haven't played one in a while so I'm not sure I can help you decide between an i3 and an i5.

What I can do is tell you not to buy either of those. I think the choice that makes more sense is i3-6100 vs i5-6500. The 6300 is a negligible improvement over the 6100 and if you're trying to save money you might as well get the latter. Meanwhile the 4590 has been replaced by the 6500, and while it won't really perform noticeably better, there's no reason to buy an older processor unless you're getting a good deal on a used one or already have a motherboard with the right socket and are going from an i3 to an i5 or something.
Whoops typoed, I meant the 6100. Thanks for the input.

Edit: I didn't realize the 6500 was the replacement for the 4590. I guess if I'm looking at an i5 that's only $20 more than the 4590 but $109 vs $179 just feels like a way bigger gulf.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 9, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I guess technically it's the replacement for the 4570 but it performs roughly as well as a 4590. The 6500 is the best price/performance Skylake i5 so it came to mind rather than the 6600. Anything in that ballpark will likely be a big upgrade if you're on a pre-Sandy Bridge CPU, it's just generally best to go with the latest generation.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I'm on an Athlon II X3 :haw:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

I keep putting off replacing my CPU for longer and longer!

I'm on a small budget and looking at i3-6100 vs i5-4590.

They seem to benchmark similar in single core. I do a lot of gaming at 1080p, mostly MMOs and soon, Overwatch, and I'm not sure how much those give a poo poo about having more cores. Can you guys help sell me on saving $50 and getting the i3?

For MMOs you want quad-core, hell, FFXIV sees gains from going to an i7 with 4c/8t, these games tend to be very CPU heavy.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

AfroGunsou posted:

Could I substitute in Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory instead? for no other reason than those Kingston sticks on Amazon say they won't ship for 2-3 weeks and the Crucial ones are available now

Yeah, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
The video card in my desktop PC died, and I've decided to replace the whole system because it's getting old anyway. But it seems a little ridiculous to buy a video card right now when nvidia's 1000 series is just about to come out. So, I'm thinking I should build the new system, and just use onboard video until the new cards come out. Is there any reason I might not want to do that?

Also, looking for parts advice:
What country are you in?
US

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming, web browsing, Office

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
I'm looking to spend up to about $1500. I have a retail Windows 7 license that I plan to use for the W10 upgrade, so I won't need to buy Windows. I would like to buy a USB optical drive though.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution?
1080p. I'd really like to be able to put things on high settings with a good framerate.

Right now I'm thinking about getting something like this:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I've been looking a lot at the GTX 1080. Getting the best performance sounds really attractive, but I really don't know how noticeable the difference is likely to be compared to a 1070 or a 980TI.

Also, is there anything in particular I should look for in buying a USB optical drive? Or can I just grab anything that has decent reviews on Amazon?