Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Chibs posted:

A character design!

I'll steal it!!

NO ONE WILL EVER KNOW!!!

UNHAND IT CHIBS BACKSLIDE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I didn't watch new Gumball, but I did watch new Clarence. It's always a heartwarming and cute show, but this one was particularly so. :kimchi:

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Y-Hat posted:

I didn't watch new Gumball, but I did watch new Clarence. It's always a heartwarming and cute show, but this one was particularly so. :kimchi:

It was great, and it's gonna be one of those episodes of the show people will remember as their favorite. This is the closest Clarence will ever delve into romance, but it's nice to know he handled the talking-on-the-phone-with-a-girl-for-hours phase a lot better than I did at that age. :cripes:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, when they first showed the pilot for Clarence, I actually got mad at how boring it was, and that went over into the advertising, which I thought looked awful, but then the show comes along and it's quite good. Even the pilot's good, though I don't know how much of that is the original pilot and how much is expansion.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
If you grew up poor (like I did), Clarence is the most relatable cartoon ever.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, when they first showed the pilot for Clarence, I actually got mad at how boring it was, and that went over into the advertising, which I thought looked awful, but then the show comes along and it's quite good. Even the pilot's good, though I don't know how much of that is the original pilot and how much is expansion.

the only thing the expansion added was the framing device and the piņata song (the pilot had jeff saying that he loves piņatas)

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I'm shocked anyone else remembers the cartoon Where's Waldo.

I vaguely remember that cartoon. Didn't they discard the entire concept of him being 'hard to find' and just have him be a generic problem-solving adventurer on various different-than-Earth worlds? And wasn't there an evil version of Waldo, possibly called Odlaw?

The only episode I remember the details of, he went to a future-world and tried to cheer up an old robot that was being retired/scrapped because it didn't have wifi connectivity like all the new robots. (So, of course, that robot is the only one still online to save the day when the wifi crashes)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I remember they had very simple Where's Waldo puzzles for when they went to commercial, and then showed where he was when they came back. I bet that at least one kid suffered some kind of eye damage leaping up to stare at the screen three times an episode.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Did anyone here watch Filmore! when it was on? I loved that cartoon. It was a police procedural set in a middle school, but all the plots were as high stakes in presentation as an actual procedural, with my favourite one-off character being a Hannibal Lecter homage, a mad graffiti artist. There was a great joke where he smuggled in half a crayon one day and escaped when being transferred to the usual detention classroom. "This is what he did to the third floor bathroom. *Shows photo, everyone dryheaves*" That show was great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxWCc_eLLXI The Intro

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Bobulus posted:

I vaguely remember that cartoon. Didn't they discard the entire concept of him being 'hard to find' and just have him be a generic problem-solving adventurer on various different-than-Earth worlds? And wasn't there an evil version of Waldo, possibly called Odlaw?

The only episode I remember the details of, he went to a future-world and tried to cheer up an old robot that was being retired/scrapped because it didn't have wifi connectivity like all the new robots. (So, of course, that robot is the only one still online to save the day when the wifi crashes)

The only thing I remember is that they created a Britain-specific dub (same voice actors), because the books -- which originated here -- are called Where's Wally. "Odlaw" was still a thing, mind.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I really liked Filmore when it was on.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I remember there was an episode that was a parody of Die Hard where Fillmore was trapped at school overnight by a gang of kids who wanted to steal the answers to a test. That show was pretty clever.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Fillmore was pretty clever, I remember really liking the chief character. The image of the bicycle going off the side of the cliff during the opening still makes me chuckle.

The amount of clubs this school had was absurd.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Fillmore was created by Scott M. Gimple, showrunner of The Walking Dead? That's... unexpected.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Fillmore is one of my all time favourite cartoons and I still can't get over how incredibly huge and well financed that school was or how Don LaFontaine did the voiceover for every episode title

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Yeah Fillmore was great, though I preferred Recess for my Disney school cartoons.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Yeah, that show was oddly well done, and just overall odd. I'm pretty sure I was just over the intended demographic when it was on, and it was just a barrage of cultural references that I didn't get. There's no way an 8-year-old kid would understand all the buddy cop tropes that were the series' backbone.

One episode I specifically remember was where 'spending time with the wife' was replaced with 'dinner with the family', which had to be canceled because hall monitor duty.

That and Dave the Barbarian were two surprisingly good shows coming out of Disney at the time.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Flobbster posted:

Fillmore was created by Scott M. Gimple, showrunner of The Walking Dead? That's... unexpected.

Considering "showrunner of TWD" at this point is, at best, a figurehead position (the show's creative direction is being run by a combination of Kirkman in the writer's room and AMC), not really.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

SomeJazzyRat posted:

That and Dave the Barbarian were two surprisingly good shows coming out of Disney at the time.

I really liked Fillmore but skipped Dave the Barbarian as it didn't look that good to me, I guess I missed out.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

Gann Jerrod posted:

I really liked Fillmore but skipped Dave the Barbarian as it didn't look that good to me, I guess I missed out.

It has its moments, but it's like the Platonic ideal of monkey cheese comedy; if you have a high tolerance for WACKYNESS!, it's worth your time.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

That squirrel/megaphone joke is really the high point of the whole show.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
There's one joke from Dave the Barbarian that really sticks with me because it's so obviously written close to the heart, where Dave demands to know how to progress in the video game he's stuck with.

"Talk to everyone."
"Seriously, that's it?"

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dang. I just watched the episode of Clarence with Bella. That's just the sweetest drat thing. What a good show.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I'll always remember Dave the Barbarian because I thought the themesong would make for a really funny AMV set to Evangelion footage.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

One of the cool things about Clarence is that every character has a positive aspect about them. Except for Belsom, of course. He's a little poo poo. Even Ms. Baker is humanized, and it's rare to see a teacher character like that in a kids' show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
As a kid, I always greatly enjoyed it when adults, especially antagonistic adults, got humanized on kids' shows. The Recess movie, Hey Arnold, post-Etemon Digimon, Ratburn-focused episodes of Arthur, all that good stuff.

That was probably because I grew up mostly with adults (aunts and uncles), most of whom were teachers.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Also the episodes of Recess that focused on the adults, like the one where Spinelli spent a week with Mrs. Finster

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alan Young (current voice of Scrooge McDuck) passed away yesterday:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/actor-alan-young-star-60s-sitcom-mister-ed-dies-96-article-1.2644452

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I usually only get to watch cartoons these days when I'm looking after a friend's place as I don't have my own television setup at home and thusly just stream stuff. That said:

-Gumball fuckin' owns. Probably the best thing I've seen on CN since Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

-I read back about 15 pages to see if a question had already been recently answered and in that I got clued into Mystery Incorporated, so thank you for that--definitely will have to check it out! The question I'm trying to solve is: to watch Miraculous eps on Nickelodeon it seems I need a TV provider, which, well, no TV. Are there any hints of it making way to hulu or netflix or some other service I can just subscribe to directly?

-Gumball fuckin' owns (it bears repeating.)

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Gumball DOES fuckin' own, brother.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Gumball owns and it's somehow getting better and better. That love episode was just fantastic. If it didn't exist in the same era as SU and AT it would be easily the best cartoon currently and honestly it seems to be getting there always.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

axleblaze posted:

Gumball owns and it's somehow getting better and better. That love episode was just fantastic. If it didn't exist in the same era as SU and AT it would be easily the best cartoon currently and honestly it seems to be getting there always.

Gumball's great because they somehow manage to keep getting away with stuff like this.

Hope no kids ask their parents what that's referencing! It's the butt judge from The Wall.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I saw that, didn't believe I saw it and thought of it later and still had trouble believing they put that reference in.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

kefkafloyd posted:

Gumball's great because they somehow manage to keep getting away with stuff like this.

Hope no kids ask their parents what that's referencing! It's the butt judge from The Wall.

oh my god

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh wow the...lighting, I guess, in Mysteries Incorporated is totally killer. It's just nuts what it does for everything!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Trebuchet King posted:

Oh wow the...lighting, I guess, in Mysteries Incorporated is totally killer. It's just nuts what it does for everything!
The texture work in the intro is pretty badass as well. Great art direction to that whole series.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Trebuchet King posted:

That's often the case with shows that Derrick J Wyatt works on

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

drrockso20 posted:

that and Chins

good chins, but still chins

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

dang, y'all weren't kidding about fred being so great in MI.

"thanks for nothing!"

"sure thing, pops!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

drrockso20 posted:

I can't wait for the announcement of whatever it is he's currently working on