Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

veedubfreak posted:

Unfortunately that's what I'm guessing. And Colorado has no ability to sue for loss of value. At least if it does get fixed, the shop that is doing the work is one of the best around, and has perfectly matched the paint on my previous 2 metallic silver cars. Either I get a new car, or I will no longer fear having to have rear end in a top hat dings fixed since the car is no longer pristine anyway. I was planning on keeping this one for at least 10 years.

So if something crops up at least all the repairs are warrantied for as long as I have it. Plus the 2 parking lot incidents it had will be covered up by this repair.

Worst part right now is that I'm in a Kia Soul until the Hertz gets something better in. 38k and from Florida. The AC smells like wet dog and the tires are drat near bald.

I just googled "diminished value colorado" and got a ton of results. you should be able to recoup some extra money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

BraveUlysses posted:

I just googled "diminished value colorado" and got a ton of results. you should be able to recoup some extra money.

Hmm, must have changed since my last car. I looked in to it back when I had my GLI. Thanks for the heads up, will definitely pursue this.

Reading over this stuff, there is also a high likelyhood that I was just given bad info, which doesn't surprise me.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 18, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

fyodor posted:

Kia Soul, the most ironically-named car?

The incab a/c filter is probably blowing mold

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Swapped it out for a newer Altima. Somehow this car is huge in comparison but manages to get better mileage. GJ Kia. I have about 6 inches between the garage door and the rear bumper, and about a foot to walk in front of the car. It's huge.

Also, talked with someone out here that is somewhat of an injury lawyer type, but deals exclusively with "Diminished Value" claims. So hopefully after I get the car back, I'll at least be able to go after Geico for the loss in value.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

veedubfreak posted:

Swapped it out for a newer Altima. Somehow this car is huge in comparison but manages to get better mileage. GJ Kia. I have about 6 inches between the garage door and the rear bumper, and about a foot to walk in front of the car. It's huge.

Also, talked with someone out here that is somewhat of an injury lawyer type, but deals exclusively with "Diminished Value" claims. So hopefully after I get the car back, I'll at least be able to go after Geico for the loss in value.

Make sure your state even allows it

https://www.mwl-law.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/diminution-of-value-in-all-50-states.pdf

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

veedubfreak posted:

Swapped it out for a newer Altima. Somehow this car is huge in comparison but manages to get better mileage. GJ Kia.

The Altima is a fuckload more aerodynamic then the box that is a Soul. The Optima gets up to 39mpg hwy and is the same class car as the Altima if you need a comparison.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

It does, I was previously told it doesn't but apparently that was just insurance company propaganda.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

MarsellusWallace posted:

I'm ordering a FoST in time for my current lease expiration, though? If there was a Mazda3 with more torque at the low/midrange I would absolutely be buying that.

If they'd had some torque in the BRZ I'd have leased or outright bought that two years ago, but here we are.

Bummed to read about the delay. My MS3 (which is super fun to drive every day) is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I'd been thinking about a VW to replace it, but I was also hoping against hope for a MY17 MS3 as a potential alternative.

No dice on that, I guess, and no dice on a WRX hatch, so I guess VW it will be. Was thinking about an R, but I'll probably wind up going for a GTI instead.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
So yesterday the clutch in my '16 Fiesta ST with 10k miles has suddenly developed a sort of stalling sensation felt through the pedal when normally taking off from a stop in 1st gear (and only in 1st, so far I don't notice it at all when reversing, shifting, or any other time when operating the clutch) and now the usual ~1500-1750 RPM needed to get going from a stop feels inadequate and unless I rev it higher to around 2000+ RPM and go much slower on the pedal uptake I will consistently get that shaky vibration through the clutch pedal like I'm not giving it enough gas and the car is on the verge of stalling when it grabs at the friction point (but there's no RPM drop or jerkiness like the car is actually going to stall, it only seems to be felt in the pedal). So far it happens both when the car is started cold in the morning as well as after driving for an hour or so on city streets and in traffic - which of course is where this issue can become especially annoying.

Has anybody else ever experienced anything like this? I initially thought it was moisture/humidity related since it's rained all week along with a perpetual mist in the air most of this time as well but today it was finally warm and dry so I drove around 100 miles or so and it doesn't want to go away (fluid level is fine with no obvious signs of a fluid leak). And it's only felt when engaging the clutch in 1st gear from a complete stop, as I already said shifting and everything else involving the clutch still feels perfectly fine like it always has (no slipping, no grinding, no noises or smells, and it doesn't seem to be a brake issue such as a seizing caliper). I'll see what happens over the weekend and if it persists then I'll have to make a trip to the dealership as I'm obviously well within the original warranty period, not something I'd be looking forward to but I'm not going to put up with this in a new car with 10,000 miles.

In case this is being caused by some kind of clutch/flywheel surface glazing or contamination of some kind (which is what I suspect so far) is there any trick that could possibly remedy such a thing before it ends up at the dealer getting taken apart? It doesn't seem to be that uncommon of an issue when researching it and it's commonly referred to as clutch shudder/chatter. Some claim that intentionally slipping the clutch a few times or stalling the car in 1st gear a few times could help clear the affected surface but I'm not yet convinced such things will work...then again the front brake on my motorcycle can be dangerously grabby at first when it's wet/humid and briefly riding the front brake downhill a few times always takes care of it, so perhaps something similar really could help alleviate this issue.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Pull your plugs and inspect

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Bummed to read about the delay. My MS3 (which is super fun to drive every day) is getting a bit long in the tooth, and I'd been thinking about a VW to replace it, but I was also hoping against hope for a MY17 MS3 as a potential alternative.

No dice on that, I guess, and no dice on a WRX hatch, so I guess VW it will be. Was thinking about an R, but I'll probably wind up going for a GTI instead.

I'm in the same boat. The MK7 GTI looks like the only decent candidate at the moment. Test drove an S and loved it, especially for the $22-23K that dealers are selling them for. I'm just terrified about the cost of long term VW ownership so I keep getting cold feet.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Nohearum posted:

I'm in the same boat. The MK7 GTI looks like the only decent candidate at the moment. Test drove an S and loved it, especially for the $22-23K that dealers are selling them for. I'm just terrified about the cost of long term VW ownership so I keep getting cold feet.

Meh, I've put 15k miles on mine in less than a year with a JB1 tunebox, downpipe, and a couple of other little things. Been beating the poo poo out of it. All is well so far.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

You guys with MK VII GTIs, did you cross shop the S and SE? I want an S since I hate leather and sunroofs (and their cost) but I've heard the Fender audio in the SE is pretty darn good. Is the S level stereo pretty crappy, so much that it would be better to get an SE or would it be best to get the S and then do my own stereo stuff?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a base S. The stereo is great.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Mariana Horchata posted:

So yesterday the clutch in my '16 Fiesta ST with 10k miles has suddenly developed a sort of stalling sensation felt through the pedal when normally taking off from a stop in 1st gear (and only in 1st, so far I don't notice it at all when reversing, shifting, or any other time when operating the clutch) and now the usual ~1500-1750 RPM needed to get going from a stop feels inadequate and unless I rev it higher to around 2000+ RPM and go much slower on the pedal uptake I will consistently get that shaky vibration through the clutch pedal like I'm not giving it enough gas and the car is on the verge of stalling when it grabs at the friction point (but there's no RPM drop or jerkiness like the car is actually going to stall, it only seems to be felt in the pedal). So far it happens both when the car is started cold in the morning as well as after driving for an hour or so on city streets and in traffic - which of course is where this issue can become especially annoying.

Has anybody else ever experienced anything like this? I initially thought it was moisture/humidity related since it's rained all week along with a perpetual mist in the air most of this time as well but today it was finally warm and dry so I drove around 100 miles or so and it doesn't want to go away (fluid level is fine with no obvious signs of a fluid leak). And it's only felt when engaging the clutch in 1st gear from a complete stop, as I already said shifting and everything else involving the clutch still feels perfectly fine like it always has (no slipping, no grinding, no noises or smells, and it doesn't seem to be a brake issue such as a seizing caliper). I'll see what happens over the weekend and if it persists then I'll have to make a trip to the dealership as I'm obviously well within the original warranty period, not something I'd be looking forward to but I'm not going to put up with this in a new car with 10,000 miles.

In case this is being caused by some kind of clutch/flywheel surface glazing or contamination of some kind (which is what I suspect so far) is there any trick that could possibly remedy such a thing before it ends up at the dealer getting taken apart? It doesn't seem to be that uncommon of an issue when researching it and it's commonly referred to as clutch shudder/chatter. Some claim that intentionally slipping the clutch a few times or stalling the car in 1st gear a few times could help clear the affected surface but I'm not yet convinced such things will work...then again the front brake on my motorcycle can be dangerously grabby at first when it's wet/humid and briefly riding the front brake downhill a few times always takes care of it, so perhaps something similar really could help alleviate this issue.

There was a wiring harness issue on the FoST that caused some similar symptoms. Check your TSBs to see if it's a known issue or not.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Radiohead71 posted:

You guys with MK VII GTIs, did you cross shop the S and SE? I want an S since I hate leather and sunroofs (and their cost) but I've heard the Fender audio in the SE is pretty darn good. Is the S level stereo pretty crappy, so much that it would be better to get an SE or would it be best to get the S and then do my own stereo stuff?

I bought the only 6spd mk7 they had which was an SE. very happy. The glass roof is nice, the leather is nice as is the audio system.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There was a wiring harness issue on the FoST that caused some similar symptoms. Check your TSBs to see if it's a known issue or not.

No TSBs yet for the '16 FiST aside from a pending recall for a cooling recall...I think that was only affecting the Focus/Escape models anyways. As of right now it seems to be slowly getting better so hopefully it goes away entirely this week.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Mariana Horchata posted:

No TSBs yet for the '16 FiST aside from a pending recall for a cooling recall...I think that was only affecting the Focus/Escape models anyways. 

I can confirm that it affects the 2016 FiST as well. My relay died Saturday.

Good news though, even in 83F weather and stop and go traffic you can sufficiently cool the engine by cranking the heater to full.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ford's site says no TSBs for 2015 FoST either.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
11,300 dollars and counting so far on the repairs. ~might~ get the car back by the 27th. Then I get to sue Geico for loss of value. Which should make the car payments for a year since I'm now jobless for a little while.

veedubfreak fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 11, 2016

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
My moonroof started leaking. Omeara said it will either be two day or two weeks, depending on if their local parts place has the whatever assembly or not :(

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

11,300 dollars and counting so far on the repairs. ~might~ get the car back by the 27th. Then I get to sue Geico for loss of value. Which should make the car payments for a year since I'm now jobless for a little while.

Are you suing them because they aren't playing ball on DOV? You'd want to pursue the tortfeasor, their insured. If you won a judgement against them, GEICO would pay it.

Diminished value claims are such a weird gray area and seldom present well for the plaintiff. To a jury it comes across as a cash grab ("They paid for my damages but I want more!" sort of thing) and I've seen several cases where they award nothing.

What are you looking for money wise? You said make the car payments for a year, which if I estimate $300/mo, there is absolutely no way they'll be anywhere near that. If it's anything with 4 figures and up I fully expect GEICO to tell you to piss off. Have they made any offer?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

fyodor posted:

Ford's site says no TSBs for 2015 FoST either.

On the 13 they took forever to issue the TSB but the fix was actually a MY14 harness installed so I doubt it would still apply on the FoST.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bovril Delight posted:

Are you suing them because they aren't playing ball on DOV? You'd want to pursue the tortfeasor, their insured. If you won a judgement against them, GEICO would pay it.

Diminished value claims are such a weird gray area and seldom present well for the plaintiff. To a jury it comes across as a cash grab ("They paid for my damages but I want more!" sort of thing) and I've seen several cases where they award nothing.

What are you looking for money wise? You said make the car payments for a year, which if I estimate $300/mo, there is absolutely no way they'll be anywhere near that. If it's anything with 4 figures and up I fully expect GEICO to tell you to piss off. Have they made any offer?

If you choose to trade in a car rather than sell it private, and it has an accident on file (no matter how minor) they will instantly downgrade the value of the car by a full category (so excellent to good, good to fair, etc.). So it's pretty easy to determine a diminished value by looking up the wholesale blue-book value of the car and getting the difference between categories. I learned this lesson the hard way by not pursuing diminished value, and then getting to eat a 20% drop on trade-in value down the road.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Locator posted:

If you choose to trade in a car rather than sell it private, and it has an accident on file (no matter how minor) they will instantly downgrade the value of the car by a full category (so excellent to good, good to fair, etc.). So it's pretty easy to determine a diminished value by looking up the wholesale blue-book value of the car and getting the difference between categories. I learned this lesson the hard way by not pursuing diminished value, and then getting to eat a 20% drop on trade-in value down the road.

In theory this back of the napkin math works, but it's all presumptive about something that hasn't happened. What you described at that dealer certainly isn't universal, and a good chunk of the time there isn't any loss history on a vehicle. Carfax, autocheck, etc. all miss a ton of things simply because it doesn't get reported to them.

What I'm saying here is that you can certainly pursue a diminished value claim, I'm not claiming it doesn't exist. I've certainly paid a few in my day, but I've also refused to pay anything if a reasonable amount can't be agreed, and court cases are generally not favorable to the individual.

Edit: dealers aren't using blue book either

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

I guess sue was the wrong word. But yes I'm going to make a claim against Geico for the diminished value. Since the car only had 6000 miles on it.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Last week part of my dash fell off. Friday I realized that my front tires are down to the wear bars, at 7700 miles. Man this car is great.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Made my tires last to 40k miles :smuggo:.

I only use them ~8 months out of the year and also drive like I'm 80

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Sigma X posted:

Last week part of my dash fell off. Friday I realized that my front tires are down to the wear bars, at 7700 miles. Man this car is great.

The stock tires on my FiST lasted around 10k miles, I replaced them with 16" wheels and G-Force Sport Comp-IIs, I'm now at 32,000 miles and they still have about half tread left. They stick to the road better, perform better in the wet, have better tread life, less road noise and are cheaper then the POS stock tires.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Coolnezzz posted:

The stock tires on my FiST lasted around 10k miles, I replaced them with 16" wheels and G-Force Sport Comp-IIs, I'm now at 32,000 miles and they still have about half tread left. They stick to the road better, perform better in the wet, have better tread life, less road noise and are cheaper then the POS stock tires.

Does the FiST come with Eagles or something else? The Eagles on my Focus lasted over 20k, which surprised me.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Coolnezzz posted:

Yeah but that's $1500 (by my count) on a vehicle I really don't think I'll be keeping for more than another year or so. One I've already spent about three grand on.

The Locator posted:

Does the FiST come with Eagles or something else? The Eagles on my Focus lasted over 20k, which surprised me.

FiST OEM are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A in 205/40R17 at all four corners.

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 16, 2016

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
Mine came with Michelin pilot sports. They're surprisingly good for all seasons.

They don't like getting too hot though...

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Gotta upgrade to Pilot SUPER sports!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Gotta upgrade to Pilot SUPER sports!

Those are excellent tires but they don't come in the OEM size.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

GutBomb posted:

Those are excellent tires but they don't come in the OEM size.

Aren't you in a FoST? I got Michelin PSS in OEM size. Th guy was even trying to say I could put 245s on them but I thought that would make the abysmal turn radius even worse.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Ringo Star Get posted:

Aren't you in a FoST? I got Michelin PSS in OEM size. Th guy was even trying to say I could put 245s on them but I thought that would make the abysmal turn radius even worse.

Fiesta ST. I haven't looked in a while but I was unable to find the PSS in the OEM size.

Not sure how long I'm going to be driving the fiesta anymore though. I drove a 2008 STI hatch today (never driven one before) and it's a mindblowingly good car. I'm seriously in love.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Isn't that to replace the FiST as your family car? Your family will murder you if you make them ride in an STI everywhere.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Bovril Delight posted:

Isn't that to replace the FiST as your family car? Your family will murder you if you make them ride in an STI everywhere.

Nah, it's to replace the Miata. My wife sold her Jetta and is driving the Fiesta full time now. The Miata is awesome, but it's just too small.

My 11 year old daughter went on the test drive with me and was laughing and wooing along with me in the STI. She loved it, especially the dirt parking lot I did some extra "testing" in.

You're right though, my wife WILL hate it.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 17, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I love the STi but it's really unpleasant to me on Mass roads after about 45 mins between the ride quality and the exhaust note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Years ago I accidentally voted in this thread, today I finally made up for it:

My new (to me) 2015 GTI