Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Famethrowa posted:

If nothing else, this is the best production job Godrich has ever done. It sounds otherworldy and surreal, but unlike Kid A, it actually sounds like humans are playing the instruments. Get some audiophile quality headphones with a good soundstage, and immerse yourself. It's unbelievable. Tiny details like how Thom's voice creaks on True Love Waits sounds so raw and real.

What's your headphone recommendation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BigFactory posted:

What's your headphone recommendation?

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 515's that I love dearly. Unfortunately they've discontinued that exact model, but the updated version looks pretty similar. They have amazing sound, you can hear literally everything in the mix, right down to studio noise (which, unfortunately, made me notice how badly produced some modern music is. I used to like you Songs for the Deaf :( ), and they fit really comfortably on your head.

They are open-air, so there is no noise-cancellation, and they leak a lot of sound, but as far as home listening goes they can't be beat.

Other then that, I have trialed a pair of Grados that sound just as good if not a bit better, but as far as bang for your buck, I love Sennheiser.

edit: also, headphone geeks will claim these aren't "audiophile" quality. don't listen to them. trust me.

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 9, 2016

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was expecting something fancy! You let me down. Are you at least conditioning your power?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Etymotic inner ear headphones are the bomb

For cans I have Shure

Barry Foster posted:

From my (admittedly sole) listening so far, this is might be Radiohead's most head-phone-y album yet. There're a lot of tracks where they leave the centre channel relatively empty for a lot of the run time, but there's some really cool stuff going on hard left and right in the background.

While I'm unsure about some of the tracks as songs in themselves, the production on this T the hing is an absolute treat.

Totally

I've blasted it through my home studio setup, I've used two pairs of headphones, I've been stoned last night listening after a few sober listens and a break. My speakers are great, but... poo poo I've read people say they listened to it in their car and they couldn't hear the bottom end, stupid radiohead!!

.I am not normally nuts about audio quality but part of the listening experience for this one is the top notch production

It might be my favourite Nigel production. Early to say, it plays a huge part in an album for me. Songs? Love them. Dust still settling.

Production? loving A, everything from shades of Nick Drake to Portishead, it sounds I expect how they wanted it to sound.

Definitely need to listen on something that represents the sound

So many fine details in the strings and guitars, misc effects

Colin is bringing some awesome bass to this album. Wanna give him a shout out as he's under goddamn rated.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 515's that I love dearly.

Let me second this recommendation. The new model is called the HD 518 West. The newer HD series (518, 558, 598) Sennheisers also make cable replacement really easy (no soldering).

I have HD 555s that are now my throw-in-notebook-bag-go-to-work pair that is 10 years old and they are still perfect. I upgraded my at-home headphones to the 598 and yeah, its awesome. I do not regret a single cent I've spent on these. They are EXTREMELY comfortable and the audio is sublime.

Audiophiles in general are on the same level as Scientologists, who believe they have superhuman ears and that they totally need (and can hear) the 140+ db of dynamic range from their 24bit FLACs. Also paying $20 000 for a special CD player = worth it. Don't loving listen to them. Ever.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ful Stop feels like some weird amalgamation of 60/70/80s sci-fi. I loving love it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

"Identikit" -> "The Numbers" -> "Present Tense" :swoon:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pretty good record. I really like it.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
"Too many strings" is such a strange criticism. I love bombastic string arrangements. I wish there were more strings, to be honest. Give me strings.

I've been extremely indifferent to Radiohead since 2003, when Hail to the Thief landed with a resounding thud with me, so this is an extremely pleasant surprise. I love the album and am now trying to make amends with the band and give HTTT-King of Limbs another shot.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
HTTT sucks. Just go straight to In Rainbows.

(it doesn't really suck. it's just way too long)

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Some songs, especially "Glass Eyes", remind me a little of Peter Hammill's Over.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

turnip kid posted:

I've been extremely indifferent to Radiohead since 2003, when Hail to the Thief landed with a resounding thud with me, so this is an extremely pleasant surprise. I love the album and am now trying to make amends with the band and give HTTT-King of Limbs another shot.

It's interesting because I remember when In Rainbows came out I was still pretty lukewarm on HttT, and so IR really renerergized me on the band. Consequently (also due to a great live show in 2008) I started to appreciate HttT a lot more. It and TKOL are near the bottom of the tier list for me overall, for different reasons, but both also have some of my favorite songs ever on them. Definitely worth revisiting.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

"How I Made My Millions" was always one of my favorite b-sides, both for the song itself and also because you can hear his partner coming in the house and starting to chop vegetables. I'm a sucker for unprocessed, worn piano in music, and the added noise of just normal, domestic life always made it such an intimate song to me. Speculation about their relationship ending w/r/t this album is probably already tiresome, but I couldn't help but notice that that sort of raw piano doodling is all over this album, particularly in The Numbers and True Love Waits. It invokes for me the image of Thom just sitting at his piano, trying to reckon with things.

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010
This is the first album that I've heard in ages that just immediately feels important. Like, the mythology is already there and this album is going to be remembered as a classic. The writing's on the wall. I'm awe struck at points in every song, without fail. My favorite song on the album is always the next one that plays.

I'm in the afterglow here, but good god, the band that made OK Computer and Kid A is finally back.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Ok, so after listen #2, I defiantly still like it and think it's a good album, but I wish there was just one awesome summer jam on it. I really don't see this one getting much play at the beach or in the gym. Not even sure if I'm going to buy it on cd in June, cause I listen to CDs in the car usually and this is not the kind of album I think I'm going to listen to while I cruise around with the top down.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I really don't see this one getting much play at the beach or in the gym.

Probably not, no. But I didn't know that was a bad thing.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Probably not, no. But I didn't know that was a bad thing.

Where do you listen to music?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Listening to it on day 2, having slept on it, I'm pretty sure this is my favourite Radiohead album from beginning to end. Radiohead has always been an outlier in my musical taste, which mostly lie in classic rock, blues, folk, and jazz. Even the few contemporary artists that I do like tend to draw mainly from that pool of classic influences. Radiohead was always influenced mainly by bands and sounds I was never into, but somehow this album seems to create the link between my tastes and theirs that wasn't there before. I used to have to dip back into my old library if I wanted to hear those folk and blues influences that I grew up on, and now I can listen to this album. That's a big deal to me.

If I wanted to get my parents to like Radiohead, I think this is the album I'd try with first.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
You wouldn't listen to this at the beach? poo poo feels built for an ocean view.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kull the Conqueror posted:

You wouldn't listen to this at the beach? poo poo feels built for an ocean view.

I think you'd bum people out, honestly. I like to keep things lighter when you have a group of folks at the shore I guess. A good summer album needs at least a couple songs everyone can sing along to and I can't make out most of the words on this. Think it would be a tough sell.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Ok, so after listen #2, I defiantly still like it and think it's a good album, but I wish there was just one awesome summer jam on it. I really don't see this one getting much play at the beach or in the gym. Not even sure if I'm going to buy it on cd in June, cause I listen to CDs in the car usually and this is not the kind of album I think I'm going to listen to while I cruise around with the top down.

Let's be real Radiohead is not a summer jam or gym type of band.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
The solo at the end of Identikit sounds like a 19 year old Isaac Brock was recruited for the track and it shouldn't work, why does it work?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

BigFactory posted:

I think you'd bum people out, honestly. I like to keep things lighter when you have a group of folks at the shore I guess. A good summer album needs at least a couple songs everyone can sing along to and I can't make out most of the words on this. Think it would be a tough sell.

Oh, I get ya. I was more envisioning a chez-lounge, headphones, and a book.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Oh, I get ya. I was more envisioning a chez-lounge, headphones, and a book.

I don't know what 2 of those things are.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Let's be real Radiohead is not a summer jam or gym type of band.

IDK this is being hyped up as one of the big releases of the summer? After Drake's bummer of an album a few weeks ago I just need to hear something upbeat. Gorillaz please salvage this poo poo year of music.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

BigFactory posted:

IDK this is being hyped up as one of the big releases of the summer? After Drake's bummer of an album a few weeks ago I just need to hear something upbeat. Gorillaz please salvage this poo poo year of music.

To me this would be perfect to listen to, alone or with someone that shares an appreciation for this kind of introspective music. Wine or whiskey to go with it.

This album will be perfect, somewhere peaceful with someone great.

Batcat! Batcat! fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 9, 2016

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Man have you ever listened to a single word of a gorillaz song. find me the happy one.

I realize they have a frequently summery sound but their lyrics are frequently just as sadboy as radiohead's.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Anaranjado posted:

Man have you ever listened to a single word of a gorillaz song. find me the happy one.

I realize they have a frequently summery sound but their lyrics are frequently just as sadboy as radiohead's.

White Light, bro... It's my go to keg stand song.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Releasing an album just before summer doesn't make it a summer album. Not one of Radiohead's songs is suitable for a beach.

Gorillaz aren't exactly upbeat either. And their album definitely wont be out this summer.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Steve2911 posted:

Releasing an album just before summer doesn't make it a summer album. Not one of Radiohead's songs is suitable for a beach.
Yeah it's a huge missed opportunity. Basically done with this band at this point.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

Why is it a missed opportunity?

You think Radiohead are aspiring to be Smash Mouth or something?

Sorry that Radiohead, ONCE AGAIN (they're fuckin dicks I know), didn't provide you the summer anthem you've always wanted.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BigFactory posted:

Yeah it's a huge missed opportunity. Basically done with this band at this point.
I want to give you a hug, friend.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Batcat! Batcat! posted:

Why is it a missed opportunity?

You think Radiohead are aspiring to be Smash Mouth or something?

Sorry that Radiohead, ONCE AGAIN (they're fuckin dicks I know), didn't provide you the summer anthem you've always wanted.

jfc I'm not asking for them to be smash mouth, but they could take a few cues from Coldplay or Justin Bieber and write a couple songs that are smart and sexy with great production but also have some pop sensibilities. Not too much to ask.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

BigFactory posted:

jfc I'm not asking for them to be smash mouth, but they could take a few cues from Coldplay or Justin Bieber and write a couple songs that are smart and sexy with great production but also have some pop sensibilities. Not too much to ask.

You raise a good point.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Mmmm, yeah that's some good trolling. BigFactory still has it and so do Radiohead because AMSP is really good.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

PRESENT TENSE IS SO loving GOOD

It cannot be said enough

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Truly, Radiohead has yet to reach the heights of Chumbawamba.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

Mmmm, yeah that's some good trolling. BigFactory still has it and so do Radiohead because AMSP is really good.

I like it a bunch. Still don't know if it's worth $86 bucks but the packaging looks way cooler than king of limbs at least.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
I think Thom dropped the ball this time around by not promoting the new album by going on Alex Jones' InfoWars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

BigFactory posted:

Quality troll

BigFactory posted:

One step too far

I like the album a lot though I'm not sure about the last 2 or 3 tracks. Need some time to grow. Otherwise it strikes me as combining the strongest aspects of In Rainbows and Limbs. Ful Stop is so much fun. Good poo poo.