Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Walked posted:

This is true; I'll reach out and ask - I do appreciate the suggestion. I'm just averse to asking sales people to put me in touch / coordinate when I know this wont go through them in the end for purchase.

Be frank with them, "Hey I need to get in touch with someone at Azure to see if they even qualify for an RFP. Can you guys bid on Azure RFP's? If so I will let our purchasing department know you would like to submit a bid." You probably spend enough with CDWG for them to spend 5 minutes sending you a phone number. The worst that happens is they are included in the bidding process and lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Toshimo posted:

Success means being able to afford the personal life that allows me to endure my job.

Boom. This right here.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

OK. I'll explain my situation first so I don't come off quite as vindictive/unstable as the actions alone convey. If you just want the meat of it, skip down to The actual story.

I'd been working at an extremely busy downtown Apple store for a little over two years, as a technician ("Genius") the entire time. I had just gone through my second annual performance review, this one by a former Lululemon manager wearing a Power Balance bracelet who let me know that I'd be getting a 2% raise, which I should be grateful for as it's "standard", and suggested that I if I want something better next year I should focus on raising my Net Promoter Score and "developing better relationships with my peers". The last part was one of many indications that advancement (to the maximum levels of Trainer or Manager) was accelerated by informing management which of your coworkers weren't loyal party members behind closed doors.

I had been very unhappy for at least a few months - my schedule was unbelievably unhealthy, I was regularly spoken to for things like 'not saying hello to people' and 'not being a team player', which I believe were code for 'please stop emoting anything other than saccharine happiness while at work'. I felt, and the other technicians generally agreed, that I did a great job getting my hands dirty and troubleshooting tricky issues in depth. I did research, learned new things, and spent extra time fixing people's bizarre hard-to-diagnose problems instead of just wiping their machines or checking them in for "tests" that often involved leaving a 10-hour youtube video playing overnight to see if it crashed. To be repeatedly told by management that I'm not doing good work when I and my coworkers feel that I am was infuriating. In addition to all of my personal incompatibilities, it was early 2013, Apple was more successful than ever, and the sheer volume of repairs and appointments resulted in pretty extreme pressure on the technicians to get unrealistic amounts of work done in an 8-hour day. Appointments were changed from 15 minutes long to 10, with the expectation that in addition to handling anything from simple how-tos through "my wireless drops exactly once every 20 minutes" style questions within the appointment time, we'd multitask and have more than one appointment going at once.

The poor performance review in context with everything else finally kicked my rear end into looking for a real job. I spent a couple months applying and interviewing, and eventually got a jr. sysadmin job working with some people who had quit my store a few months earlier. Between the final interview and signing the offer I think I burned 8 of my 10 sick days, all in late February/early March. I wonder if Apple (or anyone else) uses heuristics to see things like this coming. I wanted some serious catharsis from leaving this toxic dump so I agreed (on a Wednesday) to start the following Monday. This meant I'd do my quitting on Thursday. I was scheduled to work 10am-7pm, so I planned to phone it in and give people free replacements all morning, then hand in my letter and walk out right in the middle of the mid-day rush.

Three pieces of background before the actual story: first, Apple's internal training materials are extremely self-obsessed - references to old marketing campaigns are constant. The one that stuck out most to me, due to the intense irony involved, was the 1984 Super Bowl ad. As described above, Apple Retail is a cesspool of propaganda, doublespeak, and groupthink, so it was unbelievable to see the uncritical worship of an ad campaign specifically referencing those as negative traits.

Second, there were 27" iMacs everywhere in the back of the store - used for punch clocks, breakroom computers, repair room workstations, and a few mounted to walls just for slideshows of recent 'company events' etc. Displayed on all of these iMacs as a screensaver was a newish program, I think it started in 2012, called 'iCredo', in reference to the Credo, a horrific mantra that we were given on a small folding card and encouraged to carry in our wallets. iCredo is/was a barebones social network - all you could do at the time was post "Credos" (??) to your coworkers, meant to be "Nice work selling all those iPads!" or whatever. When using the desktop site, you could browse to your coworkers' pages and see all of the Credos they'd received, and the screensaver on every back-of-house iMac just cycled through the 10 most recent posts for your store.

Third, ANY open expression of negativity or even the possibility of negativity was unheard of. I know this is the case in a lot of places, but it was overwhelming in Apple retail. When someone quit, or even when someone was fired, the all-store emails that went out referred to them "moving on in their journey" or "graduating". This insane article about Hubspot covers some nearly-identical corporate psyops. I can't express enough how shocking it would have been to receive an email with any kind of honest negativity at Apple.

The actual story: I showed up to work that day and made some preparations on my first break: I bought a copy of 1984 (two actually, one to keep as a souvenir) and wrote my resignation letter inside the front cover. I made myself a second account ("Meow Meow" for some reason) in iCredo, so that I could post Credos to myself. I wrote up a blunt all-store email from my @apple.com email to the store DLs and saved it as a draft. I then worked the rest of the first half of my shift, replacing every frayed power adapter and cracked iPhone for free and telling the surprised owner that it's because I would be quitting in a couple hours. I still remember having to repeat it a couple times to a girl who kept thinking she was mishearing me.

I treated myself to a nice disgusting burger for lunch, then walked back to the store. Instead of going back to the floor and taking my next appointment, I sat at a punch-clock computer and sent my email to all 300 employees, posted a bunch of Credos to myself that were simply "I quit!", and found my manager and handed him the copy of 1984 with my resignation letter written on the inside cover. Walking out through a hallway of monitors showing my smiling face with "I quit!" next to it was exactly as cathartic as I wanted it to be.

Here's some slightly redacted photographic evidence:

I heard back from similarly disenfranchised friends working that day that they almost immediately put the Genius Bar on hold for 10 minutes to have an emergency meeting regarding my sudden departure. Two of them were nice enough to send me recordings of that meeting that I treasure to this day, in addition to the damage control email that was sent as a reply-all to mine:

quote:

Hey Team

Although <uniball>'s departure is sudden, we have known that <uniball> has not had the best experience over the past few months. We have actively been working with <uniball> and it is disappointing to see him leave in this way. As you know the connections and relationships we build in the store are the foundation of our Credo and Apple. We may never understand why <uniball> left the way he did but I confident in the team that we have today.

Many of you have approached me over the last few weeks to tell me how excited you are about the experience you are having in the family room. Although we have many opportunities, our culture and performance is changing to one of success and resilience. Continuing to hold each other accountable to the environment you want to create is the key to our success.

Let's continue to keep our dialogue open and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out.

Thanks

<store manager>

I know "don't burn bridges" is universal advice regarding leaving a job you hate, but in my specific situation I'm positive it was the right choice. It continues to feel soooo good.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

uniball posted:

I know "don't burn bridges" is universal advice regarding leaving a job you hate, but in my specific situation I'm positive it was the right choice. It continues to feel soooo good.

gently caress that. Some bridges should be burned, especially if they involve lovely people.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

uniball posted:

OK. I'll explain my situation first so I don't come off quite as vindictive/unstable as the actions alone convey. If you just want the meat of it, skip down to The actual story.

I'd been working at an extremely busy downtown Apple store for a little over two years, as a technician ("Genius") the entire time. I had just gone through my second annual performance review, this one by a former Lululemon manager wearing a Power Balance bracelet who let me know that I'd be getting a 2% raise, which I should be grateful for as it's "standard", and suggested that I if I want something better next year I should focus on raising my Net Promoter Score and "developing better relationships with my peers". The last part was one of many indications that advancement (to the maximum levels of Trainer or Manager) was accelerated by informing management which of your coworkers weren't loyal party members behind closed doors.

I had been very unhappy for at least a few months - my schedule was unbelievably unhealthy, I was regularly spoken to for things like 'not saying hello to people' and 'not being a team player', which I believe were code for 'please stop emoting anything other than saccharine happiness while at work'. I felt, and the other technicians generally agreed, that I did a great job getting my hands dirty and troubleshooting tricky issues in depth. I did research, learned new things, and spent extra time fixing people's bizarre hard-to-diagnose problems instead of just wiping their machines or checking them in for "tests" that often involved leaving a 10-hour youtube video playing overnight to see if it crashed. To be repeatedly told by management that I'm not doing good work when I and my coworkers feel that I am was infuriating. In addition to all of my personal incompatibilities, it was early 2013, Apple was more successful than ever, and the sheer volume of repairs and appointments resulted in pretty extreme pressure on the technicians to get unrealistic amounts of work done in an 8-hour day. Appointments were changed from 15 minutes long to 10, with the expectation that in addition to handling anything from simple how-tos through "my wireless drops exactly once every 20 minutes" style questions within the appointment time, we'd multitask and have more than one appointment going at once.

The poor performance review in context with everything else finally kicked my rear end into looking for a real job. I spent a couple months applying and interviewing, and eventually got a jr. sysadmin job working with some people who had quit my store a few months earlier. Between the final interview and signing the offer I think I burned 8 of my 10 sick days, all in late February/early March. I wonder if Apple (or anyone else) uses heuristics to see things like this coming. I wanted some serious catharsis from leaving this toxic dump so I agreed (on a Wednesday) to start the following Monday. This meant I'd do my quitting on Thursday. I was scheduled to work 10am-7pm, so I planned to phone it in and give people free replacements all morning, then hand in my letter and walk out right in the middle of the mid-day rush.

Three pieces of background before the actual story: first, Apple's internal training materials are extremely self-obsessed - references to old marketing campaigns are constant. The one that stuck out most to me, due to the intense irony involved, was the 1984 Super Bowl ad. As described above, Apple Retail is a cesspool of propaganda, doublespeak, and groupthink, so it was unbelievable to see the uncritical worship of an ad campaign specifically referencing those as negative traits.

Second, there were 27" iMacs everywhere in the back of the store - used for punch clocks, breakroom computers, repair room workstations, and a few mounted to walls just for slideshows of recent 'company events' etc. Displayed on all of these iMacs as a screensaver was a newish program, I think it started in 2012, called 'iCredo', in reference to the Credo, a horrific mantra that we were given on a small folding card and encouraged to carry in our wallets. iCredo is/was a barebones social network - all you could do at the time was post "Credos" (??) to your coworkers, meant to be "Nice work selling all those iPads!" or whatever. When using the desktop site, you could browse to your coworkers' pages and see all of the Credos they'd received, and the screensaver on every back-of-house iMac just cycled through the 10 most recent posts for your store.

Third, ANY open expression of negativity or even the possibility of negativity was unheard of. I know this is the case in a lot of places, but it was overwhelming in Apple retail. When someone quit, or even when someone was fired, the all-store emails that went out referred to them "moving on in their journey" or "graduating". This insane article about Hubspot covers some nearly-identical corporate psyops. I can't express enough how shocking it would have been to receive an email with any kind of honest negativity at Apple.

The actual story: I showed up to work that day and made some preparations on my first break: I bought a copy of 1984 (two actually, one to keep as a souvenir) and wrote my resignation letter inside the front cover. I made myself a second account ("Meow Meow" for some reason) in iCredo, so that I could post Credos to myself. I wrote up a blunt all-store email from my @apple.com email to the store DLs and saved it as a draft. I then worked the rest of the first half of my shift, replacing every frayed power adapter and cracked iPhone for free and telling the surprised owner that it's because I would be quitting in a couple hours. I still remember having to repeat it a couple times to a girl who kept thinking she was mishearing me.

I treated myself to a nice disgusting burger for lunch, then walked back to the store. Instead of going back to the floor and taking my next appointment, I sat at a punch-clock computer and sent my email to all 300 employees, posted a bunch of Credos to myself that were simply "I quit!", and found my manager and handed him the copy of 1984 with my resignation letter written on the inside cover. Walking out through a hallway of monitors showing my smiling face with "I quit!" next to it was exactly as cathartic as I wanted it to be.

Here's some slightly redacted photographic evidence:

I heard back from similarly disenfranchised friends working that day that they almost immediately put the Genius Bar on hold for 10 minutes to have an emergency meeting regarding my sudden departure. Two of them were nice enough to send me recordings of that meeting that I treasure to this day, in addition to the damage control email that was sent as a reply-all to mine:

quote:

Hey Team

Although <uniball>'s departure is sudden, we have known that <uniball> has not had the best experience over the past few months. We have actively been working with <uniball> and it is disappointing to see him leave in this way. As you know the connections and relationships we build in the store are the foundation of our Credo and Apple. We may never understand why <uniball> left the way he did but I confident in the team that we have today.

Many of you have approached me over the last few weeks to tell me how excited you are about the experience you are having in the family room. Although we have many opportunities, our culture and performance is changing to one of success and resilience. Continuing to hold each other accountable to the environment you want to create is the key to our success.

Let's continue to keep our dialogue open and if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to reach out.

Thanks

<store manager>

I hope you took a picture of the inscribed 1984 novel / resignation letter.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

I hope you took a picture of the inscribed 1984 novel / resignation letter.

I wasn't going to post it since my handwriting is so embarrassingly bad (especially writing on the inside of a paperback with a solid dose of adrenaline) but here you go

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I'm not sure if i should be amazed or mortified with such a story.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

I am so happy I didn't accept a job offer from Apple for this position when I first moved because god drat

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Between uniballs sales training and adorais accidental data acquisition.... :stare:

(Not trying to be the one-up the other story guy)

I'll give you one to think about.

A few years back I worked for a cell phone payment processor for pre-paid cell systems. I was responsible for the network and several months into my tenure there our CISO up and quit, leaving me responsible for PCI in the interim. We were bringing on a large new client, one of the only large clients we didn't actually have. Part of the migration plan was for their current payment processor to send us a dummy file in .csv format of their database dump so we could import the company's user data into our databases. They had sent us several sample files with 50 records and each one was more hosed up than the last. Format was different, data rules were different, everything. Our CTO and the customer CTO got on the horn with the old processor and ripped their president a new rear end about delaying the process and trying to sabotage the migration. He promised they'd send a proper sample files with 50 users so we could run a test. Next step after that was getting their total user count so I could dummy up the 3.5 million records in the right format so we could plan for how long the migration would take.

A day goes by and I'm sitting at my desk, the old payment processor was in Isreal so time was always skewed hard. I get an email from their PCI guy labeled "users.csv.7z". This is supposed to be the sample file with the proper data structure and I uncompress it. First thing I notice is that its big. Like really huge. I'm curious, so I double click the file and it opens in excel. Excel throws up an error about there being too many records, but it loaded the first million and change.

It was their user database.
In plain text.
Full names, addresses, credit card info and to my :stonk:, a field labeled CVV2, fully populated for probably 80% of the records.

:psyboom:

I immediately got up, locked my office door and tracked down the CTO to show him and wash my hands of that shitshow as soon as I could.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

uniball posted:

I wasn't going to post it since my handwriting is so embarrassingly bad (especially writing on the inside of a paperback with a solid dose of adrenaline) but here you go

You are my hero.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Tab8715 posted:

I'm not sure if i should be amazed or mortified with such a story.

Maybe this select quote from the reply-all email will help, because it sure sold me on the deal

rear end in a top hat posted:

The corporate double-speak and mental backflips here are loving astounding to the point that the actual conveyed message is uninterpretable. I have no idea what the store manager is trying to get across to employees other than throwing a wall of feel-good words at them to make it seem like they should care.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I hope you don't tell that story during interviews. :v:

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I had a nice smile to myself when a US border guard grilling me on my application for a TN visa asked why I left Apple. "There weren't many opportunities for advancement."

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Internet Explorer posted:

I'd be ok with hearing that.

edit: maybe not the vindictive way of quitting...

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Glorious

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DigitalMocking posted:

In plain text.
Full names, addresses, credit card info and to my :stonk:, a field labeled CVV2, fully populated for probably 80% of the records.

I immediately got up, locked my office door and tracked down the CTO to show him and wash my hands of that shitshow as soon as I could.

You could probably have got good money for that on Silk Road!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

DigitalMocking posted:

(Not trying to be the one-up the other story guy)

I'll give you one to think about.

A few years back I worked for a cell phone payment processor for pre-paid cell systems. I was responsible for the network and several months into my tenure there our CISO up and quit, leaving me responsible for PCI in the interim. We were bringing on a large new client, one of the only large clients we didn't actually have. Part of the migration plan was for their current payment processor to send us a dummy file in .csv format of their database dump so we could import the company's user data into our databases. They had sent us several sample files with 50 records and each one was more hosed up than the last. Format was different, data rules were different, everything. Our CTO and the customer CTO got on the horn with the old processor and ripped their president a new rear end about delaying the process and trying to sabotage the migration. He promised they'd send a proper sample files with 50 users so we could run a test. Next step after that was getting their total user count so I could dummy up the 3.5 million records in the right format so we could plan for how long the migration would take.

A day goes by and I'm sitting at my desk, the old payment processor was in Isreal so time was always skewed hard. I get an email from their PCI guy labeled "users.csv.7z". This is supposed to be the sample file with the proper data structure and I uncompress it. First thing I notice is that its big. Like really huge. I'm curious, so I double click the file and it opens in excel. Excel throws up an error about there being too many records, but it loaded the first million and change.

In plain text.

I can't even imagine how I would react to this. I know how I SHOULD react, but whether or not I could do it in the moment is up in the air. It seems equally likely I would set fire to my desk and walk out.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
I want to have an exciting experience in MY family room.

vvvv lol :cheers: vvvv

Dark Helmut fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 9, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Dark Helmut posted:

I want to have an exciting experience in MY family room.

Im sure you can find some resources for that

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

go3 posted:

Im sure you can find some resources for that

:stonklol:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Anyone here have a TS clearance? How deep do they dig on that stuff?

For instance, will me crazy eve oriented twitter posts be held against me?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

uniball posted:

I then worked the rest of the first half of my shift, replacing every frayed power adapter and cracked iPhone for free and telling the surprised owner that it's because I would be quitting in a couple hours. I still remember having to repeat it a couple times to a girl who kept thinking she was mishearing me.

Uh, not sure this was the best idea. Doesn't that basically boil down to "and then I proceeded to steal from my job because I was quitting shortly"?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

captkirk posted:

Uh, not sure this was the best idea. Doesn't that basically boil down to "and then I proceeded to steal from my job because I was quitting shortly"?

Not going to defend the behavior, but unless he was colluding and profiting with these people it doesn't rise to that level. Worst case scenario they ding or fire him for poor judgment calls in issuing replacements, and under the circumstances, who cares?

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

captkirk posted:

No, you're specifically given the ability to make judgment calls for small repairs. If you think it's "right for the customer" you're allowed to replace out-of-warranty parts for free, within reason (you can't swap entire computers without a manager, for example), as long as you classify the repair you create accordingly. I was just operating at 100% lenient for that shift.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not going to defend the behavior, but unless he was colluding and profiting with these people it doesn't rise to that level. Worst case scenario they ding or fire him for poor judgment calls in issuing replacements, and under the circumstances, who cares?

I'm pretty surprised Apple's procedures allow for something like that to even happen. A decade and change ago at my last retail gig, it wouldn't let you send a repair through our system without an associated cost / transaction. Any changes to that required manager approval.

edit : ^^^ his clarification came in before i was done replying. that makes a bit of sense. empowering employees to make customers happy is a good thing. ^^

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Yes they will probably find it, no they likely won't care about it so long as it's obviously a game. Remember to bring up how you were friends with vilerat. I believe it is better to be up front about everything than to hide from them and let them find it. (Seriously though scan it for obviously hilariously racist stuff before applying.)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just realized, you weren't kidding about the 1984 stuff. What the hell is up with the family room?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

For a standard TS, they'll go back around 10 years. Be prepared to dig up phone numbers and names of old acquaintances and neighbors who can verify that you lived places and were not spying for the Cubans. Bottom line: tell the truth about everything on the forms. Traveled to Europe and Asia during a gap year? Be prepared to list every single date you spent in every single country. Did some drugs? Great, put it on there. Had a gambling addiction for a while? Put it on there. Did you go through a period where you thought credit cards were free money? Put it on there. Because if you leave it off, and they find out about it, you're done.

For a TS/SCI, they'll go waaaaaay deeper. They'll build upon your initial contacts and will end up interviewing quite a few people without your knowledge, and they'll take a much deeper look at your foreign travel and any foreign contacts. They'll also take a much more indepth look at your financial history.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

psydude posted:

For a standard TS, they'll go back around 10 years. Be prepared to dig up phone numbers and names of old acquaintances and neighbors who can verify that you lived places and were not spying for the Cubans. Bottom line: tell the truth about everything on the forms. Traveled to Europe and Asia during a gap year? Be prepared to list every single date you spent in every single country. Did some drugs? Great, put it on there. Had a gambling addiction for a while? Put it on there. Did you go through a period where you thought credit cards were free money? Put it on there. Because if you leave it off, and they find out about it, you're done.

For a TS/SCI, they'll go waaaaaay deeper. They'll build upon your initial contacts and will end up interviewing quite a few people without your knowledge, and they'll take a much deeper look at your foreign travel and any foreign contacts. They'll also take a much more indepth look at your financial history.

Its not relevant yet, but that is a little worrysome. I went through a little over a decade stuck on stupid(was with a woman with drug and mental problems, tho all I ever did was smoke weed) so going back too far and I start having to spend quite a bit of time explaining things.

Ah well, I'll find out if any of these applications get that far.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
theres a website where you can review clearance decisions and 'bad with money' is a pretty common theme in people that are denied

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

go3 posted:

theres a website where you can review clearance decisions and 'bad with money' is a pretty common theme in people that are denied

welp there goes any chance of me getting clearance thanks teenage/early 20s me

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Isn't there a public listing of those whom where accepted into clearances with a summary similar too,

"Candidate graduated a Bachelors in Computer Science. Had sex with multiple prostitutes in San Francisco and used Cocaine.

Clearance Granted."

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Tab8715 posted:

Isn't there a public listing of those whom where accepted into clearances with a summary similar too,

"Candidate graduated a Bachelors in Computer Science. Had sex with multiple prostitutes in San Francisco and used Cocaine.

Clearance Granted."

I don't think they care so much what you did, as long as it's something you admit so it can't be used to blackmail you.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

go3 posted:

It's more like "bad with money, kept lying about it and digging himself into a bigger hole" is a common theme in people that are denied. Someone who has $500k of student and mortgage debt but is forthright about it is more likely to get a clearance than someone who borrowed $5k from a loan shark to lie about a $10k credit card debt to his wife.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

Its not relevant yet, but that is a little worrysome. I went through a little over a decade stuck on stupid(was with a woman with drug and mental problems, tho all I ever did was smoke weed) so going back too far and I start having to spend quite a bit of time explaining things.

Ah well, I'll find out if any of these applications get that far.

If your credit report has improved and you've resolved your delinquencies then you're probably fine. The drug use isn't really an issue so long as you haven't used any in the last 2 or 3 years.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Kashuno posted:

welp there goes any chance of me getting clearance thanks teenage/early 20s me

It's one thing to have been bad with money at 18 and recovered by 28 and are now on a stable track, it's another to have been bad with money last year and still own the boat.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

Clearance Granted."

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I read an article somewhere recently, The Atlantic, I think about some higher-ups in the FBI, CIA, etc were desperately trying to revise the background check policy for security clearance. So many IT and programming types love weed that a large percentage of would be qualified employees were ineligible already. Add to that that an even greater number of potential applicants can make more money in the private sector and sympathize with Edward Snowden that you have a very, very, small slice of qualified and willing applicants.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

One of my friends from high school had to get a clearance to work as an engineer at Westinghouse. She passed the clearance just fine and was truthful. She admitted to binge drinking in college and trying weed and the government didn't have an issue with it.

Westinghouse did though. They made a contingency of employment like 6 months of drug and alcohol counseling. She turned down the position out of principal. Acting like a college student during college does not an alcoholic make and good luck to Westinghouse in finding a candidate in that field who doesn't have that in their past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, it was the FBI. They have a firm 10-year no-use period, which disqualifies basically everyone until their 30s. CIA and other intel agencies are a lot more tolerant of past drug use.