Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Can you tell us what you have now? You might be able to get away with just the new graphics card (and an SSD if you don't have one) for a while still, CPU performance has increased very little in the past 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

NotInventedHere posted:

The video card in my desktop PC died, and I've decided to replace the whole system because it's getting old anyway. But it seems a little ridiculous to buy a video card right now when nvidia's 1000 series is just about to come out. So, I'm thinking I should build the new system, and just use onboard video until the new cards come out. Is there any reason I might not want to do that?

Also, looking for parts advice:
What country are you in?
US

What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing?
Gaming, web browsing, Office

What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
I'm looking to spend up to about $1500. I have a retail Windows 7 license that I plan to use for the W10 upgrade, so I won't need to buy Windows. I would like to buy a USB optical drive though.

If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution?
1080p. I'd really like to be able to put things on high settings with a good framerate.

Right now I'm thinking about getting something like this:

I've been looking a lot at the GTX 1080. Getting the best performance sounds really attractive, but I really don't know how noticeable the difference is likely to be compared to a 1070 or a 980TI.

Also, is there anything in particular I should look for in buying a USB optical drive? Or can I just grab anything that has decent reviews on Amazon?

Pretty much any decent USB optical will do, you can just look for something on Amazon with a bunch of positive reviews.

Considering your budget and the GPU you are planning to get I would change up the build a bit:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.50 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($45.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define S w/Window ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.49 @ Newegg)
Other: GTX 1080 Founders Edition ($699.99)
Total: $1427.91
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-09 13:23 EDT-0400

Basically I added an OCing CPU, a good CPU cooler, a motherboard that can OC, fast RAM, a smaller but faster SSD and a much better case. The thing is that you want a fairly beefy machine to feed a card like the 1080/70 so OCing is what makes the most sense here. This still leaves some budget left over for an external SSD and something like a wireless card if you need that or a cheap 1TB HDD.

paperfax
Oct 17, 2008
100% recycled material
Finally saved up the funds to replace my 8 year old PC. I looking to build a mid-range PC that can handle modern games.

What country are you in? Canada
What are you using the system for? Gaming and general entertainment, web browsing, Office
What's your budget? $0-$1000 CAD max if possible. Lower is better, could be talked into going slightly over.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? 1080p. I'm not fussy about running everything at max settings.

I don't plan on overclocking.

From the OP and other posts I've pieced this together:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($248.98 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($131.50 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($46.99 @ NCIX)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 4GB Video Card ($279.49 @ Newegg Canada)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $961.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-09 13:49 EDT-0400

Any obvious deficiencies/room for improvement? I picked the case pretty much at random. Would it be worthwhile to wait for the GTX 970 to go down in price? I'll have to replace my speakers soon too, and probably upgrade my mouse and keyboard, but those aren't urgent needs.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

It's been about five years since I built my last computer and I want to go fast.

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming, Editing, Programming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. ~$1100
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 1920x1080; 60FPS is good.

Here's a preliminary list:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($116.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.69 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($188.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($118.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $927.01

The case was mostly chosen for aesthetics and because PCPartPicker didn't complain about it being incompatible with anything. The CPU in my old computer is an AMD Phenom II, so I'm assuming cannibalizing that isn't the best idea. I do happen to have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive, though.

Also, I'm assuming I can just use the Win10 license from my old computer, but I don't know that for sure so confirmation would be nice.

Edit: Should I wait for the 1070 and use my old graphics card until then?

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 9, 2016

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Music Theory posted:

The case was mostly chosen for aesthetics and because PCPartPicker didn't complain about it being incompatible with anything. The CPU in my old computer is an AMD Phenom II, so I'm assuming cannibalizing that isn't the best idea. I do happen to have a 1TB Seagate Barracuda hard drive, though.

Also, I'm assuming I can just use the Win10 license from my old computer, but I don't know that for sure so confirmation would be nice.

Edit: Should I wait for the 1070 and use my old graphics card until then?

I'll let someone else critique part choice but:

-There's nothing you can upgrade a Phenom II to except maybe a better Phenom II, so a new system is the way to go. I think some Phenom systems can upgrade to Bulldozer but that's kind of a wash, don't bother.
- If your old computer's license is 7/8 retail, you can probably install it on your new computer and then upgrade to 10. If it's OEM then you will likely need a new license.
- The 1070 is going to cost a lot more than the 960 you picked so they aren't really in the same tier, but if you want to spend that much then it's not a bad idea to wait for the 1070 (or whatever Polaris brings if it comes out fast enough) instead of buying a 970 or 390 or whatever.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Allow me to preface this by saying that I really have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

System usage: General PC. I want something that'll last me a while, and that I can play games on. Most of my games on Steam are either pretty old, or don't need too much, graphics-wise. Skyrim's probably the most CPU/GPU heavy.
Budget: Probably around, oh, 800 or so? My uncle said he'd help me pay for a computer as a late graduation present, but I don't know exactly how much he's willing to pay for.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.69 @ Newegg) - OP mentioned having an SSD is kind of important for stuff like the OS?
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 460 768MB Video Card ($0.00) - Got this for free, and I don't think I'll really need anything better.
Case: I couldn't find one that PC Part Picker didn't have issues with. Even using their built in compatibility filter, it still gave me cases that either wouldn't fit my parts, or it didn't know if it would fit my parts. Stupid Algorithm. Mainly, I just want one that's black, has USB ports on the front, and isn't one of those super over-the-top "gamer" PC cases.
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
External Storage: Seagate Backup Plus 2TB External Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $861.88

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The thing is that you want a fairly beefy machine to feed a card like the 1080/70 so OCing is what makes the most sense here.

Can you explain what you mean by this? The power consumption of the 1000 series is phenomenally low, and I don't know of any game that will bottleneck noticeably on an i5-6500 or equivalent. I was under the impression that you could drop a 1070 into an Average Joe build for a pretty dramatic improvement

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 9, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Blaziken386 posted:

Allow me to preface this by saying that I really have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing.

System usage: General PC. I want something that'll last me a while, and that I can play games on. Most of my games on Steam are either pretty old, or don't need too much, graphics-wise. Skyrim's probably the most CPU/GPU heavy.
Budget: Probably around, oh, 800 or so? My uncle said he'd help me pay for a computer as a late graduation present, but I don't know exactly how much he's willing to pay for.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($33.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.69 @ Newegg) - OP mentioned having an SSD is kind of important for stuff like the OS?
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 460 768MB Video Card ($0.00) - Got this for free, and I don't think I'll really need anything better.
Case: I couldn't find one that PC Part Picker didn't have issues with. Even using their built in compatibility filter, it still gave me cases that either wouldn't fit my parts, or it didn't know if it would fit my parts. Stupid Algorithm. Mainly, I just want one that's black, has USB ports on the front, and isn't one of those super over-the-top "gamer" PC cases.
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VX238H 23.0" Monitor ($109.99 @ Micro Center)
External Storage: Seagate Backup Plus 2TB External Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $861.88

Here is a tweaked spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI H170A PC Mate ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($32.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.69 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 460 768MB Video Card ($0.00)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case ($90.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($61.49 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Micro Center)
Total: $909.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-09 16:54 EDT-0400

1) I got rid of the CPU cooler since the included one should be plenty for an i5-6500.
2) I changed the motherboard for a cheaper one since you can't overclock with your CPU choice.
3) Changed out the RAM for something cheaper and better.
4) I added a very good case with front panel USB and a fairly subdued aesthetic, it will also be easy to build in and pretty quiet.
5) I changed out the PSU, the Corsair CX PSUs have reliability issues, this one is much, much better.
6) I changed out the monitor for a better one.

PCPartPicker just does not know how long your GPU is so it was showing a warning for that, but any GTX 460 will be plenty short enough to fit in this case, I don't think they even make a video card that won't fit in this one.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Can you explain what you mean by this? The power consumption of the 1000 series is phenomenally low, and I don't know of any game that will bottleneck noticeably on an i5-6500 or equivalent. I was under the impression that you could drop a 1070 into an Average Joe build for a pretty dramatic improvement

You could put a GTX 1070 in a system like that and you would see a large improvement, but you would see a larger one with the CPU clocked to 4.6GHz & overclocked RAM, the budget allowed that so I went for it. Take a look at this video where they pair an i5-6500 with a Titan X and RAM clocked at a number of different speeds, notice that there are substantial gains in some games based both on the CPU overclock vs stock and the overclocked RAM vs stock. While we can no longer overclock the i5-6500(Intel "fixed" that.) this video provides a good illustration of the differences in performance between an overclocked system and a stock system when paired with a very fast GPU.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You could put a GTX 1070 in a system like that and you would see a large improvement, but you would see a larger one with the CPU clocked to 4.6GHz & overclocked RAM, the budget allowed that so I went for it. Take a look at this video where they pair an i5-6500 with a Titan X and RAM clocked at a number of different speeds, notice that there are substantial gains in some games based both on the CPU overclock vs stock and the overclocked RAM vs stock. While we can no longer overclock the i5-6500(Intel "fixed" that.) this video provides a good illustration of the differences in performance between an overclocked system and a stock system when paired with a very fast GPU.

Gotcha. I've seen the video (I think you or HMS Boromir linked it when I was considering my own upgrades), it's pretty fascinating.

I just misinterpreted what you said as a more general declaration, and I was curious if the CPU upgrade was more necessary than I thought. If don't strictly need one right now, I'm going to wait and see how much hyperthreading gets used in DX12 games before I choose.

Edit: (wait on the cpu, I mean. I can't buy that 1070 fast enough :swoon:)

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 9, 2016

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

I'll let someone else critique part choice but:

-There's nothing you can upgrade a Phenom II to except maybe a better Phenom II, so a new system is the way to go. I think some Phenom systems can upgrade to Bulldozer but that's kind of a wash, don't bother.
- If your old computer's license is 7/8 retail, you can probably install it on your new computer and then upgrade to 10. If it's OEM then you will likely need a new license.
- The 1070 is going to cost a lot more than the 960 you picked so they aren't really in the same tier, but if you want to spend that much then it's not a bad idea to wait for the 1070 (or whatever Polaris brings if it comes out fast enough) instead of buying a 970 or 390 or whatever.

Cool, thanks.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

1) I got rid of the CPU cooler since the included one should be plenty for an i5-6500.
2) I changed the motherboard for a cheaper one since you can't overclock with your CPU choice.
3) Changed out the RAM for something cheaper and better.
4) I added a very good case with front panel USB and a fairly subdued aesthetic, it will also be easy to build in and pretty quiet.
5) I changed out the PSU, the Corsair CX PSUs have reliability issues, this one is much, much better.
6) I changed out the monitor for a better one.

Thanks for all your suggestions! Especially the PSU one, I had no idea Corsair ones were crap.
I wasn't sure if most cases came with a cooling fan or not, so I added one just in case. :v: I'm probably just going to find a semi-decent small monitor at Best Buy or whatever, because the current way my couch/table is setup only allows a small monitor without re-arranging the furniture. If I ever need a bigger screen, I'll just use my TV screen for the display.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Blaziken386 posted:

Thanks for all your suggestions! Especially the PSU one, I had no idea Corsair ones were crap.

Corsair PSUs in general are very good. The CX series in particular has issues but only by discerning standards, they're still a lot better than no-name $20 time bombs. A Corsair RMx would've been a solid choice if that EVGA one weren't so much cheaper.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Anyone have experience with mini-itx cases? I fancy going with the corsair 250D mentioned in the op, as apparently it supports a lot of full sized parts, and so the prospect of picking up my PC and moving it isn't a mammoth undertaking.

The Z170i i picked due to its mini itx form factor.

I'm planning on building now and using the integrated graphics until the gtx1070 is out soon. Does anyone know if the new cards any longer/bigger than the 970/80?

I'm going with a corsair RM650X, and 2x corsair dominator platinum 8GB sticks, and was thinking of getting a Noctua NH-U12S for cooling, as apparently the case supports up to 240mm radiators.

My question is: Should this all fit, and would the temps be bad for the graphics card in such a small case, or should I be okay?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rookoo posted:

Anyone have experience with mini-itx cases? I fancy going with the corsair 250D mentioned in the op, as apparently it supports a lot of full sized parts, and so the prospect of picking up my PC and moving it isn't a mammoth undertaking.

I'm planning on building now and using the integrated graphics until the gtx1070 is out soon. Does anyone know if the new cards any longer/bigger than the 970/80?

I'm going with a corsair RM650X, and 2x corsair dominator platinum 8GB sticks, and was thinking of getting a Noctua NH-U12S for cooling, as apparently the case supports up to 240mm radiators.

My question is: Should this all fit, and would the temps be bad for the graphics card in such a small case, or should I be okay?

The new cards are the same size as the old ones, 10.5".

The Noctua NH-U12S is not an AIO watercooler, it's a tower HSF and it will not fit in the 250D.

Dominator Platinum is a waste of money, it's very expensive and all you are getting is a really fancy looking heatspreader. Also in the 250D there is a fair chance it will bump up against the AIOs fan/radiator, LPX is a much better choice.

Anyway, if you go with a blower style cooler like on the founders edition of the 1070 you will be fine on temps.

Here is a spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($103.92 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($163.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($147.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 250D Mini ITX Tower Case ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Other: GTX 1070 Founders Edition ($449.99)
Total: $1332.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-09 21:11 EDT-0400

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Rookoo posted:

I have a thermaltake core v1. It has an MSI card in it now. Just eyeballing the 1070/1080 looks like it is too long. MSI might release a shorter version but not in June. You will want one with good cooling for a mini itx case.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

I have a thermaltake core v1. It has an MSI card in it now. Just eyeballing the 1070/1080 looks like it is too long. MSI might release a shorter version but not in June. You will want one with good cooling for a mini itx case.

That is actually a trick of proportions, the MSI cards are longer but also much taller which makes them seem shorter. Look at the end with the video outputs for scale:

GTX 980 Ti reference:

MSI 980 Ti twin frozr V:

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks, before this I've always went with big cases, so this is new to me. I'll double check some stuff then go for it, hopefully blower versions of the 1070 aren't hard to come by when release rolls around.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Cross posting from HTPC thread. I bought an ASRock AM1H-ITX.

So my motherboard came and it only came with an atx splitter for two devices. Does this mean it only pulls enough power from the dc adapter (and I need a power supply for more) for two drives or just that I need to buy my own splitter? It has six SATA 3 ports on the board.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

You need to buy your own splitter. The DC adapter powers absolutely nothing but the motherboard and CPU, and you have to use only the 24pin ATX, or the DC adapter for that sort of thing.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya guys, a continuation question from the last thread (and about 2 months ago now) but I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that lets you choose parts and then have them assemble it that is actually any good?

I really don't want to build a PC myself as I am not very good with my hands and more than a little worried about loving up on builds, and I don't mind paying a bit extra for shipping, but can anyone recommend anything that would help?

quote:

It's overpriced, the ancient SSD is especially bad and should be replaced with a more recent and reliable model like the 850 EVO, here's a better, cheaper spec:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (Ł149.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Ł64.65 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston Blu Red Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Ł49.52 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Ł67.98 @ Novatech)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Ł40.39 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R7 370 2GB Video Card (Ł113.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Thermaltake Core V31 ATX Mid Tower Case (Ł47.99 @ Ebuyer)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Ł44.37 @ Amazon UK)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer (Ł11.94 @ Amazon UK)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (Ł74.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: Ł665.81
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-23 10:19 GMT+0000

This was the last build posted by AVeryLargeRadish that I was trying to get done, but having difficulty with.

So sorry for asking such a newbie question, thanks again for your time.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

A bit of a vague question I realise: Are blower cards still able to run in a fanless/silent mode under low loads (similar to the Asus Strix range), or does the design prevent the heatsink area required to run in a truly passive mode?

I'm looking to replace my severely ageing i7 920 & 560ti system with something more modern and probably a 1080, but I'd like the challenge/outcome of working within the NCase M1. I realise this restricts my choices a lot, so I'm in no rush to get the new gen on day one and find it won't fit, but I'd like some vague idea of what my choices may be. As far as I'm aware the biggest thing to look out for with this case is the extra height on the GPU, as AVeryLargeRadish just posted about the MSi cards..

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'd like to build a smaller profile/lower power consuming "desktop" computer for everyday office use (word, excel, email, etc). I was looking at Brix and NUC builds but I also need to be able to extend the users' desktops to 2 monitors (extended desktop, not mirrored). Brix and NUC generally use mini-display port and mini-HDMI out. I assume I can use them together for dual monitors? I don't think these computers use use display port 1.2 so daisy-chaining display port monitors doesn't seem possible.

I can't seem to find Brix or NUC cases on PCPartsPicker so I can't build something out to post. I like this deal from NewEgg which comes with 8GB of memory. I'd probably buy a 250GB internal SSD to go with it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102096&ignorebbr=1

What I like about Brix and NUC is the VESA mount option. I haven't used it before but it's really intriguing. Getting the computer up off the floor and limiting the cable profile is something that's important along with trying to limit power consumption.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

tadashi posted:

I'd like to build a smaller profile/lower power consuming "desktop" computer for everyday office use (word, excel, email, etc). I was looking at Brix and NUC builds but I also need to be able to extend the users' desktops to 2 monitors (extended desktop, not mirrored). Brix and NUC generally use mini-display port and mini-HDMI out. I assume I can use them together for dual monitors? I don't think these computers use use display port 1.2 so daisy-chaining display port monitors doesn't seem possible.

I can't seem to find Brix or NUC cases on PCPartsPicker so I can't build something out to post. I like this deal from NewEgg which comes with 8GB of memory. I'd probably buy a 250GB internal SSD to go with it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856102096&ignorebbr=1

What I like about Brix and NUC is the VESA mount option. I haven't used it before but it's really intriguing. Getting the computer up off the floor and limiting the cable profile is something that's important along with trying to limit power consumption.

I have a Broadwell NUC doing dual 1080p monitor using both ports, it works great. It can also do 4K although the HDMI port is limited to 30Hz. From the spec sheet the Broadwell and Skylake models both have HDMI 1.4a and DisplayPort 1.2.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

You need to buy your own splitter. The DC adapter powers absolutely nothing but the motherboard and CPU, and you have to use only the 24pin ATX, or the DC adapter for that sort of thing.

I don't think I understand. The psu is an external laptop charger that plugs directly into the motherboard, which has a 24-pin ATX port. The board came with a two-way ATX to SATA splitter. I'm wondering if I can just buy a cord like this that adds more SATA power plugs to the existing splitter, or if I need to go with a full (SFX) power supply. The current psu would be powering up to 5 drives (3x2.5" and 1 3.5" HDDs and one SSD) and maybe a low-profile GPU someday.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Eletriarnation posted:

I have a Broadwell NUC doing dual 1080p monitor using both ports, it works great. It can also do 4K although the HDMI port is limited to 30Hz. From the spec sheet the Broadwell and Skylake models both have HDMI 1.4a and DisplayPort 1.2.

Thanks, I must have overlooked that. Huge thanks, though. Hearing someone else is using it and that it works is the best endorsement. Have you had any issues with the bare bones components (obviously, hard drive and memory will be different)?

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Building a new rig for under $1000 to replace my old rear end AMD rig, and this is what I've come up with so far
I'll be using it for 16:9 gaming as well as A/V production with Premiere, After Effects, Protools, Reaper -- mostly non professional work -- Dual monitor setup

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: G.Skill AEGIS 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 380 4GB Video Card ($214.99 @ Micro Center)
Case: DIYPC Ranger-R4-R ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.79 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $808.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 13:30 EDT-0400

The ram that's in the list matches the set I already have, so the new system will have 16gigs of 1333. Also I'll be throwing in the HDDs that are already in my current rig for storage.

Anyway, the thing that's bothering me is that the listed ASRock mobo has some poo poo reviews on newegg that say it has wacky defects. The thing is, almost every mobo in my price range has a good amount of really hosed up reviews on newegg pointing out weird defects. Are mobos just really finicky these days, or does the 1150 socket have problems, or are newegg reviewers just pissbabies?

Also any general thoughts on the build? is something poo poo? is something overkill? that kind of poo poo.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Rape Stink posted:

Building a new rig for under $1000 to replace my old rear end AMD rig, and this is what I've come up with so far
I'll be using it for 16:9 gaming as well as A/V production with Premiere, After Effects, Protools, Reaper -- mostly non professional work -- Dual monitor setup

The ram that's in the list matches the set I already have, so the new system will have 16gigs of 1333. Also I'll be throwing in the HDDs that are already in my current rig for storage.

Anyway, the thing that's bothering me is that the listed ASRock mobo has some poo poo reviews on newegg that say it has wacky defects. The thing is, almost every mobo in my price range has a good amount of really hosed up reviews on newegg pointing out weird defects. Are mobos just really finicky these days, or does the 1150 socket have problems, or are newegg reviewers just pissbabies?

Also any general thoughts on the build? is something poo poo? is something overkill? that kind of poo poo.

How long can you wait on the graphics card? You could get a 1070, when it comes out, and still meet your budget. The 4790K has onboard graphics that will let you play indie games and older games, but not mainstream stuff. Also, you could use your old graphics card for a bit as well while waiting for the new one. A little patience would net you near top-tier GPU performance, instead of middle of the pack. Well, patience and 170$ more dollars.

Also, Most people would probably suggest a 6600K and Z170 board over the older 4790K board, unless you really need hyperthreading. You probably want 16GB of RAM, so saving $30 by bring your old (and slow) RAM over is kind of foolish.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 10, 2016

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Total: $1556.09
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-07 02:22 EDT-0400

Thanks tons for the info - That's exactly what I was looking for. Going to go with this build, with a couple of edits.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rape Stink posted:

Here is an alternate build with a Skylake i5 and some different part picks:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($244.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($102.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Thermaltake SMART 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $587.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 14:09 EDT-0400

1) I think that for your purposes an i5-6600k should be enough.
2) A decent, basic mobo, should be plenty to get you OCed to 4.6GHz+.
3) 16GB of fast RAM.
4) A better choice of SSD, it's not the fastest but it should be reliable, if you can get an 850 EVO instead, it's like $20 more but it's the fastest and most reliable drive you can get.
5) A better case, it's pretty basic but it's very good for the price point.
6) A better PSU, this one is about the same quality but comes with a 5 year warranty instead of the 3 year one on the EVGA 500B.

I left the video card off since new cards are coming out very soon from both AMD and Nvidia, it is probably best to wait for now and play lower spec games until the market has settled and we know what the line up from each company looks like. Alternately there are a lot of people getting rid of cards like the 980 Ti right now and you could swing one of those used for $300-$350 if you keep an eye out, a number of the card manufacturers have transferable warranties, EVGA for instance, so you could get one that still has some warranty left and if there is a problem go to them instead of dealing with the seller.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
Thanks for the tips homies, I'm going to change up a few things on my parts list based on your input.

My one concern is that I really want to go balls out on my processor in this build and the 4790k out benches the 6600k in terms of single core performance. Of course this would limit me to DDR3 which I though was fine because the general rule used to be that higher freqs generally meant higher latency, making memory speeds somewhat pointless. Has that changed now?

E: know what, gently caress it I'm going to go with the 6600. It seems like that's what everyone who knows way more than me is recommending. Either one is going to be a massive upgrade over my current system anyway. Thanks for the help guys

SEGA Ass Fisting fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 10, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Rape Stink posted:

Thanks for the tips homies, I'm going to change up a few things on my parts list based on your input.

My one concern is that I really want to go balls out on my processor in this build and the 4790k out benches the 6600k in terms of single core performance. Of course this would limit me to DDR3 which I though was fine because the general rule used to be that higher freqs generally meant higher latency, making memory speeds somewhat pointless. Has that changed now?

That was never true, it's just that most things did not use enough bandwidth for faster RAM to make a difference, that is no longer true. Also the 6600k should be faster clock for clock than the 4790k while also being a much better OCing chip. You could go for a 6700k if you want hyperthreading and that will definitely be faster than the 4790k. It's much better to go with a Skylake chip with DDR4 if you can.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Passmark crowns the 4790K the king of single threaded performance, by 3-4% clock for clock over the 6700K. I'm not sure what's up there. Anandtech's benchmarks don't really seem to agree, the 6700K wins the single threaded synthetics comparison at 4.4 GHz and it seems to be a coin toss which one does better in any given game.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

tadashi posted:

Thanks, I must have overlooked that. Huge thanks, though. Hearing someone else is using it and that it works is the best endorsement. Have you had any issues with the bare bones components (obviously, hard drive and memory will be different)?

No, it's worked pretty much perfectly. I've been using it as a work desktop running Windows 10 for several months now - MS Office, text editing, lots of telnet/SSH sessions. I have the i3 model (NUC5i3RYH) with a 128GB Micron SATA M.2 SSD and 2x8GB of DDR3.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

tuyop posted:

I don't think I understand. The psu is an external laptop charger that plugs directly into the motherboard, which has a 24-pin ATX port. The board came with a two-way ATX to SATA splitter. I'm wondering if I can just buy a cord like this that adds more SATA power plugs to the existing splitter, or if I need to go with a full (SFX) power supply. The current psu would be powering up to 5 drives (3x2.5" and 1 3.5" HDDs and one SSD) and maybe a low-profile GPU someday.

tuyop posted:

oh so you got one of those funky things. I didn't realise they provide SATA power back out the ATX connector :psyduck:

Check the wattage of your power brick. Subtract your CPU and graphics TDP. Figure 5W for an SSD and 15-20W for a HDD spinning up. Unless you have an enormous power brick you probably end up with no more than 3-4 drives total before your system's peak power gets too high.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm looking to build something that might be a unicorn: small, can host a 1080 or future 1080 Ti, have lots of USB 3, and be quiet. At idle it should be silent from 18" away. For reference, my H110 plus EVGA GPU liquid cooler are not thusly silent (pump noise).

Small works against big fans, which works against quiet airflow. Pump noise seems to be above my audio threshold, but maybe with a custom loop? I'm not sure what the good small cases are for this sort of thing.

Budget is let's say $750-1000 for case/cooling/CPU/motherboard/RAM. I'm in the USA. I'll be doing a bunch of VM work in addition to gaming, so I'm not sure if I want 4 cores or 6.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Josef bugman posted:

Heya guys, a continuation question from the last thread (and about 2 months ago now) but I was wondering if anyone knew of a place that lets you choose parts and then have them assemble it that is actually any good?

I think HP, Dell, and most other major PC companies have (expensive) build-a-pc options. Though if you're friends with your IT department at work you could always ask one of them for a hand. You wouldn't have a warranty but it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Many local computer stores will assemble for a varying-reasonable fee.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I'm looking to build something that might be a unicorn: small, can host a 1080 or future 1080 Ti, have lots of USB 3, and be quiet. At idle it should be silent from 18" away. For reference, my H110 plus EVGA GPU liquid cooler are not thusly silent (pump noise).

Small works against big fans, which works against quiet airflow. Pump noise seems to be above my audio threshold, but maybe with a custom loop? I'm not sure what the good small cases are for this sort of thing.

Budget is let's say $750-1000 for case/cooling/CPU/motherboard/RAM. I'm in the USA. I'll be doing a bunch of VM work in addition to gaming, so I'm not sure if I want 4 cores or 6.

Hmmm, a custom loop is probably not possible at that price point, especially if you want to include the video card. Here is the best I can think of:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($348.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($61.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Micro Center)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($94.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($136.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $926.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 19:52 EDT-0400

So a very quiet CPU cooler, a mobo with a lot of USB3, and a noise dampened case. It should be extremely quiet, the CPU cooler should be effectively silent as long as you don't overvolt the CPU and the PSU has a very high capacity and very high efficiency so it should only spin up its fan under load and even then it should still be quiet, you can also replace the case fans with Noctua ones to get it even more silent. As long as you can find a 1080 that turns off its fans at idle, and I expect most of them will, it should run nearly silently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

I'm trying to build a budget gaming PC with a budget around $600-$700. Before I go any further I have to say I haven't put a computer together since highschool (2002) and the last new computer game I bought was Freelancer (2003). So basically I have no idea what I'm doing anymore and looking at parts makes me want to curl up into the fetal position and cry.

With that said I found this parts list in a Lifehacker article from 2015.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.88 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 280 3GB Black Edition Double Dissipation Video Card ($208.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $612.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-10 21:55 EDT-0400

I'm guessing this parts list could use some updating so any suggestions are welcome.

I do know I want at least an Intel i5, 8 gigs of RAM, and wifi. I also need a full set of peripherals but I'll most likely find some cheap Logitech stuff for the mouse and keyboard. The monitor has been the biggest sticking point for me as it sends my budget soaring. I'll probably just hook the computer to my tv for the time being.

It's either this or I buy an Alienware Alpha. I just want to play some goddamn computer games again. :negative: