Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
True Love Waits or Daydreaming would be good songs to play at the beach if you want everyone to drown themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

turnip kid posted:

"Too many strings" is such a strange criticism. I love bombastic string arrangements. I wish there were more strings, to be honest. Give me strings.

I've been extremely indifferent to Radiohead since 2003, when Hail to the Thief landed with a resounding thud with me, so this is an extremely pleasant surprise. I love the album and am now trying to make amends with the band and give HTTT-King of Limbs another shot.

I feel the length of HTTT so there's a track or two I just skip out of habit, but it's a very good album. Coming off of OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac, and I Might be Wrong (Live) it fell flat for me initially as well, but after In Rainbows I went back to it and it clicked to a far higher degree.

These quotes are rather illuminating as to why the album felt "off" in some regards, they tried a new style for creating music and ramped up the pace a lot after Kid A and Amnesiac were so thorough and deliberate. I'd read these sentiments elsewhere before but had never seen these original quotes.

quote:

Yorke said: "We were like, 'Do we want to fly halfway around the world to do this?' But it was terrific, because we worked really hard. We did a track a day. It was sort of like holiday camp."

Greenwood said: "We didn't really have time to be stressed about what we did. We got to the end of the second week before we even heard what we did on the first two days, and didn't even remember recording it or who was playing things. Which is a magical way of doing things."

O'Brien told Rolling Stone that Hail to the Thief was the first Radiohead album "where, at the end of making it, we haven't wanted to kill each other."

A few years later

Yorke said: "I'd maybe change the playlist. I think we had a meltdown when we put it together ... as Nigel says, I wish I had another go at it. We wanted to do things quickly, and I think the songs suffered."

O'Brien told Mojo: "We should have pruned it down to 10 songs, then it would have been a really good record. I think we lost people on a couple of tracks and it broke the spell of the record."

Colin Greenwood said: "I didn't want three or four songs on there, because I thought some of the ideas we were trying out weren't completely finished ... For me, Hail to the Thief was more of a holding process, really."

Godrich told the NME: "I think there's some great moments on there - but too many songs. I think that's kind of agreed amongst the camp these days but at the time it was just what happened ... As a whole I think it's charming because of the lack of editing. But personally it's probably my least favourite of all the albums ... It didn't really have its own direction. It was almost like a homogeny of previous work. Maybe that's its strength."

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Let's be real Radiohead is not a summer jam or gym type of band.

Summer jam maybe not, although there's a bunch of good summer driving or lounging songs in their discography IMO, especially early on.

A few tracks from Pablo Honey, The Bends, and the first two discs from Towering Above the Rest are still in the cycling/jogging playlist that I shuffle through, would work in a gym too for me at least.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 9, 2016

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I'm not going to lie and say that I listen to every single Hail to the Thief song (though it's Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door that I do skip, which people love, while stuff people dismiss like Backdrifts, I really adore), and that might be what keeps it from being one of my favorite "albums" like In Rainbow was, but Hail to the Thief is definitely my favorite Radiohead album. It's so creepy and yet whimsical in its own strange way, with all the fairy tale allusions, and I'd listen to it regularly walking through wild forests because it captures the paranoia that goes with it so well. Really a fantastic album for me.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Well Identikit clicked for me today.

I keep trying to list my personal highlights and can't figure out what to leave off the list.

I guess if I had any complaints now I wish there was a 12th barnstormer track somewhere in the middle with the energy level of Burn the Witch, but I wouldn't change anything about the songs that exist. Very very happy with this one.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Probably Magic posted:

I'm not going to lie and say that I listen to every single Hail to the Thief song (though it's Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door that I do skip, which people love, while stuff people dismiss like Backdrifts, I really adore), and that might be what keeps it from being one of my favorite "albums" like In Rainbow was, but Hail to the Thief is definitely my favorite Radiohead album. It's so creepy and yet whimsical in its own strange way, with all the fairy tale allusions, and I'd listen to it regularly walking through wild forests because it captures the paranoia that goes with it so well. Really a fantastic album for me.

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it, even though it's not my favourite. Also Scatterbrain and Wolf are amazing.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
2+2=5, Where I End and You Begin, and There There are also some of the best rockers they ever wrote.

Also Go to Sleep is both super catchy and completely hilarious lyrically.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
1. Ful Stop
2. Glass Eyes
3. Daydreaming
4. Burn the Witch
5. Decks Dark
6. Desert Island Disk
7. Present Tense
8. Identikit
9. Tinker Tailor

(B Side to the Burn the Witch single) The Numbers
(B Side to the Identikit single) True Love Waits

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BigFactory posted:

I was expecting something fancy! You let me down. Are you at least conditioning your power?

They're very fancy :(

The only thing I condition is my luscious hair.

edit: I too am bummed this new Radiohead album is not suitable for ragers anymore, unlike the rest of their albums :v:

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 9, 2016

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
The piano/bass part that comes in with about 1:20 left in Decks Dark is so good.

This album is really good and I'm excited to still be in the stage of discovering new things on every song. I'm not skipping anything on any listen, which is pretty rare for me.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Volte posted:

Listening to it on day 2, having slept on it, I'm pretty sure this is my favourite Radiohead album from beginning to end. Radiohead has always been an outlier in my musical taste, which mostly lie in classic rock, blues, folk, and jazz. Even the few contemporary artists that I do like tend to draw mainly from that pool of classic influences. Radiohead was always influenced mainly by bands and sounds I was never into, but somehow this album seems to create the link between my tastes and theirs that wasn't there before. I used to have to dip back into my old library if I wanted to hear those folk and blues influences that I grew up on, and now I can listen to this album. That's a big deal to me.

If I wanted to get my parents to like Radiohead, I think this is the album I'd try with first.

I played In Rainbows for my dad once and he did not get it. He just kept saying "he sounds like the guy from Bread"

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

also Ful Stop is loving bonkers.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BigFactory posted:

IDK this is being hyped up as one of the big releases of the summer? After Drake's bummer of an album a few weeks ago I just need to hear something upbeat. Gorillaz please salvage this poo poo year of music.

You're listening to the wrong type of music and bands/artists for upbeat summer music dude.

E: oh it was a troll lol

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

BigFactory posted:

IDK this is being hyped up as one of the big releases of the summer? After Drake's bummer of an album a few weeks ago I just need to hear something upbeat. Gorillaz please salvage this poo poo year of music.

It's a big release that came out in the summer. it's not summer jamz '16

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ful Stop is one of the best Radiohead songs of all time.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Am I the only person who feels that some of the songs just kinda fizzle out? Present Tense is mostly awesome but then it just sorta ends with no real denouement. Ful Stop as well, most of the instruments just kinda fade out at the end so it just kinda ends like a wet fart.

I'm having a hard time really explaining it but they sort of have a habit of writing a lot of songs where they feel like they will go so much farther with them but then just sorta... stop.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

robodex posted:

Am I the only person who feels that some of the songs just kinda fizzle out? Present Tense is mostly awesome but then it just sorta ends with no real denouement. Ful Stop as well, most of the instruments just kinda fade out at the end so it just kinda ends like a wet fart.

I'm having a hard time really explaining it but they sort of have a habit of writing a lot of songs where they feel like they will go so much farther with them but then just sorta... stop.

Yeah, an issue I have with a lot of the album is that they keep building up songs and then just end them right before they have the chance to really pop off. I'm sure it was an intentional choice but there's so many moments on here that feel like they're holding back.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can't wait to listen to this solo on the beach in Barcelona, then watching them do some of it live. That's my jam

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

The thread has already established that this is unacceptable, please pay attention you have not been paying attention

Decades fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 9, 2016

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man buying those ACL fest tickets last week was such a good idea.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Where do you listen to music?

Deep in a forest
My local wood
In my home recording studio
When out to see friends.

Why, you wanna get all alpha male about it?

There's billions of songs, man, don't hate on something for not being something else

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
That jumping damper pedal in True Love Waits. :h:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Some initial thoughts 1+ day in...

I like it! It'll fluctuate up and down on the old Radiohead Ranking list for a while, but right now I've got it solidly in the middle of the pack behind OK Computer but above The Bends.

Identikit is weirding me out, and I'm not sure how much of it has to do with my familiarity of the version played live in 2012. Hail to the Thief was more or less ruined for me because I used to constantly listen to those 2002 Portugal/Spain shows, so it could be a bit of that, but I have to think that even if I had never heard the song before, that little disco interlude halfway through would still throw me for a loop.

The Numbers has been bothering me as well, as it sounds extremely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Pretty sure I never heard any live performances of it previously.

Echoing other people's sentiments that it feels like it just needed one more rocker somewhere in there. I think Daydreaming might be a bit too early on the album, or at the very least, needs a minute or two chopped off it. It's a good song, but it's such a slow burn... I do like how it transitions to Decks Dark though, and things kind of take off from there.

True Love Waits is great and this is definitely the album it was meant to be on.

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's too bad AMSP doesn't open with Ful Stop, and save Burn The Witch for the midpoint.

Man, this is a great tip! There isn't a song I don't like on here, but the album flows perfectly with the two swapped around. Ful Stop makes a great opening track.

True Love Waits is totally changed around, but no less great for it.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

I too traded Burn the Witch with Ful Stop and so far it has made for a more sensible and enjoyable listening experience.

I am one of those fools who has to go through the stages of grief after each new radiohead album turns out not to be Kid A. "This song sounds like Optimistic, but on 20mg of adderall, and the rhythm section doesn't go crazy at the end." I've taken turns being underwhelmed, pleasantly awed, disappointed and impressed by this album and I can say only two things for sure. That this is an album that demands my full attention, and that I intend to give it atleast that much. It is right off the bat more interesting that KoL, but in some ways just as dense.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ballz posted:

The Numbers has been bothering me as well, as it sounds extremely familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on what it is. Pretty sure I never heard any live performances of it previously.

The Numbers used to be called Silent Spring. Thom would play it on his guitar without accompaniment.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The Numbers used to be called Silent Spring. Thom would play it on his guitar without accompaniment.

That's not it, I had never listened to a live performance of it. Identikit and True Love Waits are the only songs I was really familiar with prior to the album dropping. Even Ful Stop I had only listened to a handful of times, because almost all of my downloads from TKoL tour were from the first leg of the tour, before the song entered in to their setlist.

I should go back to Radiohead Not for Profit and see what new recordings have popped up there in the past couple of years. The best quality shows I have from the 2012 tour were San Jose and Arizona.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The verse melody for Identikit really reminds me of...something from the 90s. And it's driving me crazy trying to remember what.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
I read a bunch of reviews today and it's crazy to me that not one touched on the significance of the rhythm section. I find the idea of Radiohead as Thom and Jonny is really exaggerated, and even the better reviews that mention Colin and Phil tend to minimize their contributions and relegate them to generic backround players. That's so wrong. They're actually both super distinct and creative musicians, and essential parts of the band's sound.

Ed on the other hand, I tend to have a hard time guessing what he might be doing on the studio recordings. I mostly think of him as the general auxiliary guy / eye candy. I feel like I remember reading a long time ago that he had written one of the band's most iconic lead guitar lines though. I wanna say Street Spirit?

E: Oh also, the best part of early rushed album reviews are the misheard lyrics. The Independent went with "Low Fi Banker Tax" even though low flying panic attack has been common knowledge for a week now, while the other Independent (Ireland) shat on Identikit because they thought the chorus was "Move Your Arse / Make It Rain", conjuring the imagine of Thom in a pub standing on the bar in a fur coat throwing 20 pound notes at people. Now that's what I call journalism.

Decades fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 10, 2016

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Decades posted:

E: Oh also, the best part of early rushed album reviews are the misheard lyrics. The Independent went with "Low Fi Banker Tax"

why do they even bother reviewing it?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Decades posted:

Ed on the other hand, I tend to have a hard time guessing what he might be doing on the studio recordings. I mostly think of him as the general auxiliary guy / eye candy. I feel like I remember reading a long time ago that he had written one of the band's most iconic lead guitar lines though. I wanna say Street Spirit?

Ed is the atmosphere man, nowadays. Early on, he was more of the rhythm guitarist, but now any sort of spacey, whooshy, reverby texture you hear is usually Ed and his freakishly impressive pedal board.

That awesome synth/organ sound at the climax of 15 Step? Ed cutting up and processing his guitar, and playing it back as programmed samples. That's what he's prepping when he's kinda off in the corner during the first half of the song live. Super, super talented.

And yep, he's responsible for Street Spirit, Meeting In The Aisle, Big Boots, and I think Go To Sleep. Probably more, but who knows.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Decades posted:

I read a bunch of reviews today and it's crazy to me that not one touched on the significance of the rhythm section. I find the idea of Radiohead as Thom and Jonny is really exaggerated, and even the better reviews that mention Colin and Phil tend to minimize their contributions and relegate them to generic backround players. That's so wrong. They're actually both super distinct and creative musicians, and essential parts of the band's sound.

The King of Limbs is a Colin and Phil tour de force and I loving love it.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Yeah I don't mean to suggest Ed's not pulling his weight. I trust that he's doing cool things, and it's obvious live, but on the albums it's hard to put your finger on compared to the other four.

Ballz posted:

Absolutely. It's a somewhat flawed album but it's also pretty misunderstood. My early impression of the new album is that they might've managed to combine that rhythmic depth with the warmth and humanity of In Rainbows, which shows an impressive level of self awareness. They don't just experiment for kicks. They learn from their experiences and apply the knowledge going forward.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

HD DAD posted:

And yep, he's responsible for Street Spirit, Meeting In The Aisle, Big Boots, and I think Go To Sleep. Probably more, but who knows.

I've often heard fans claim Ed wrote the Street Spirit and Go to Sleep riffs but I've never found a source, and I'm pretty sure I've read every Radiohead thing ever. Can you back this up?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Famethrowa posted:

why do they even bother reviewing it?

An increase in website traffic coming from both casual readers and also people Googling phrases like "new radiohead album review", which then translates in to ad revenue.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012

Ballz posted:

Real talk TKOL is flawed but Bloom alone was worth the price of admission, even the first time, because of that rhythm section.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it, even though it's not my favourite. Also Scatterbrain and Wolf are amazing.

I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't absolutely raved about Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door, while I would've been fine with the album ending with Myxomatosis, but I figure I'm the only one who feels that way. That's okay. We can all agree that There There is amazing, so it's all good.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Wikipedia says this on Ed O'Brien:

Wikipedia posted:

Notable contributions to Radiohead include the high-pitched lead guitar in "No Surprises", the "spidery" guitar line in "A Wolf at the Door", the main rhythm guitar on "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi", the second guitar on "Talk Show Host", and the arpeggio riff that makes up the closing song on The Bends, "Street Spirit (Fade Out)".

His unorthodox guitar playing, focusing on effects to enhance the framework of the music, is notable in songs like "Lucky" (creating the effect that opens the song), "Karma Police" (effects during the end of the song), "Bullet Proof..I Wish I Was" (improvised guitar effects), "Staircase" (the wailing guitar sounds that form the background for the song), and "Treefingers" (his guitar chords were processed electronically to sound like ambient music).

Besides his guitar work in most of Radiohead's songs, O'Brien is also known for contributing vocals to songs such as "Karma Police", "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" and "Reckoner". He also sings the backing vocals in the live versions of many of their songs, including "Idioteque" and "No Surprises".

Their source = ????

Also, for some reason my phone is autocorrecting Ed to Arf and now I'm imagining an adorable version of Radiohead made up of dogs :3:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Hedrigall posted:

Also, for some reason my phone is autocorrecting Ed to Arf and now I'm imagining an adorable version of Radiohead made up of dogs :3:

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

If only it were a Pomeranian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Thom posing with Ed