Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Bastard Bowl and Clegane Bowl might actually save the season from being completely poo poo, just like Hardhome was the jewel in season 5's turd crown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

24-7 Urkel Cosplay posted:

He's going to interact with the past in a way that sets the course for the current events to happen. Prior to the last episode I figured he was going to accidentally distract Dayne in the same way he yelled to Ned.

that would create quite the time paradox which is a complication this story doesn't need

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Hogge Wild posted:

I also always thought that they did some backstabbing to kill Arthur Dayne. And I don't think that Ned was supposed to one of the greatest swordsmen.

Has there been any good duels after the first season? drat I liked Bronn's duel in the Vale.

Hound and Brienne was an awesome duel. I want more Hound fights, so Cleganebowl please.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cavelcade posted:

Hound and Brienne was an awesome duel. I want more Hound fights, so Cleganebowl please.

tbh, i don't remember it

i'll need to watch it again

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
ok that was a drat nice duel

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

All this talk about how terrible last night's episode was (some unjustified IMO), yet no one has mentioned the wacky sitcom gag of Pycelle ranting about zombie Mountain leading to the "He's standing right behind me, isn't he?" reveal, followed by an actual sound effect of him making GBS threads himself. I had to rewind it because I couldn't believe they would do something that hackneyed and out of place.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I love that after seeing the head of House Umber dump a severed wolf's head on the table and turn over Osha and Rickon to be raped and flayed to death by Ramsay multiple viewers have reached the conclusion that this is actually a secret gambit by Umber to backstab House Bolton.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mike N Eich posted:

i'm actually reasonably hype for clegane bowl because we might as well go Full Xena Warrior Princess with this show

I'll be happy if ends up being a medieval version of the fight scene between Piper and Davis in They Live.

Subvisual Haze posted:

I love that after seeing the head of House Umber dump a severed wolf's head on the table and turn over Osha and Rickon to be raped and flayed to death by Ramsay multiple viewers have reached the conclusion that this is actually a secret gambit by Umber to backstab House Bolton.

It's just a last ditch hope for the Great Northern Conspiracy to show up in the series since Rickon went from being hidden on Skaagos to apparently hanging out with/near the Umbers.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

To be fair, he was always with the Umbers in the show. That's where Osha says she's taking him when they all split up at the wall.

So him being there is consistent in the show. Doesn't make the Umbers apparently being on the Bolton side any less stupid, though.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

CaptainRightful posted:

All this talk about how terrible last night's episode was (some unjustified IMO), yet no one has mentioned the wacky sitcom gag of Pycelle ranting about zombie Mountain leading to the "He's standing right behind me, isn't he?" reveal, followed by an actual sound effect of him making GBS threads himself. I had to rewind it because I couldn't believe they would do something that hackneyed and out of place.

lolwut

-

The beauty of the show is that it's now too big to fail. They could have open mic comedy nite poo poo like this mixed with actual making GBS threads mixed with moustache twirling villains casually killing off what's left of the main cast and the zeitgeist would still spout off 'brilliant! best show ever on tv! one for the ages!'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cavelcade posted:

I actually don't like it that much. I'm not a fan of choppy cuts and editing in fight scenes to make them more intense. Just show the drat fight! If you're editing around the bulky costumes, maybe you shouldn't have made them so awkward looking in the first place? The Hound and Brienne are the two best dressed individuals on the show, one with proper plate armour and the other wearing a nice brigandine with a gorget and pauldrons.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
What other supposed show spoilers got out

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm not a fan of choppy cuts and editing in fight scenes to make them more intense. Just show the drat fight!

It's not to make them more intense, it's to hide the fact that the actors are terrible at fighting. This is why Jackie Chan fight scenes are a million times better than all others.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.
I suspect the reason they didn't have Ned and Arthur Dayne fighting with great swords is likely due to the fact that realistic, metal great swords are quite massive, making them fairly dangerous even when blunt. In order to make them safe for the actors to use, they'd probably have to be so flexible they'd look completely ridiculous or have them never actually clash. I mean, it's certainly possible to accomplish a scene with realistic great sword vs. great sword action, it would just be difficult, time consuming and probably pretty dangerous. They did have the mountain wielding a pretty drat big sword when he fought Oberyn, but banging a spear point against one is probably safer than banging an equally heavy blade against it.

Or they just didn't want to for whatever reason. It's a crying shame, because a duel between Ice and Dawn could have looked spectacular.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

CaptainRightful posted:

It's not to make them more intense, it's to hide the fact that the actors are terrible at fighting. This is why Jackie Chan fight scenes are a million times better than all others.

Also to help with the choreography. You break the fight down into three-second exchanges and you can just do a single part over and over until it's right. Meanwhile, super pro stunt teams train together so much and so hard, their fight scenes are broken down with "and then Sammo grabs two fish and beats up some dudes with them" and a lot of it is just the actors understanding each other like they're jazz riffing or something.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Fhate posted:

I suspect the reason they didn't have Ned and Arthur Dayne fighting with great swords is likely due to the fact that realistic, metal great swords are quite massive, making them fairly dangerous even when blunt. In order to make them safe for the actors to use, they'd probably have to be so flexible they'd look completely ridiculous or have them never actually clash. I mean, it's certainly possible to accomplish a scene with realistic great sword vs. great sword action, it would just be difficult, time consuming and probably pretty dangerous. They did have the mountain wielding a pretty drat big sword when he fought Oberyn, but banging a spear point against one is probably safer than banging an equally heavy blade against it.

I dunno - the fight with Styr features a bigass battleaxe. Obviously a sword will look different, but I'm sure they could pull it off.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Yeah mug as the toj fight was mediocre it was still better than the godawful stuff from season 5. Everyone hates in the sand snakes fight and rightfully so, but almost nobody mentions just how awful selmy street fight or jorah's arena fights were.

they were so forgettable that i forgot about them. thanks for reminding me they existed :negative:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Fhate posted:

Or they just didn't want to for whatever reason. It's a crying shame, because a duel between Ice and Dawn could have looked spectacular.

you can make a convincing looking sword (convincing enough for camera at least) with some balsa wood and spray paint. they could probably even just paint a stick green and composite that poo poo in.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Greatswords can easily weigh 25-30+ pounds and those actors might be in shape but after a few (hours) of takes they'd be on the ground gasping for air, assuming someone didn't mess up their timing and break a bone or two on someone else because the bigger the sword the harder the control's going to be.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There's still the "greenscreen stick" option, and from the budget shortcuts they've been taking it would make plenty of sense.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Greatswords didn't weigh 25 pounds. That figure is Victorian-era silliness that for some reason hasn't died off.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
personally, I think it would be stupid to use your family's most prized heirloom, an ancestral greatsword that is literally invaluable, in a swordfight. but hey, thats just me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Greatswords can easily weigh 25-30+ pounds and those actors might be in shape but after a few (hours) of takes they'd be on the ground gasping for air, assuming someone didn't mess up their timing and break a bone or two on someone else because the bigger the sword the harder the control's going to be.

The heaviest non ornamental swords are maybe eight pounds, ten if they're pushing it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

TommyGun85 posted:

personally, I think it would be stupid to use your family's most prized heirloom, an ancestral greatsword that is literally invaluable, in a swordfight. but hey, thats just me.

all the heads on crabb's cove whispering "I shoulda used the magic sword"

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

TommyGun85 posted:

If your family's most prized heirloom is also supernaturally light and sharp that's also insanely durable, you'd probably want to actually use it, particularly if you're the head of said house. Yeah, Valyrian steel is increasingly scarce, but the whole point is that weapons made of it superior as actual weapons, so it'd be kind of a waste to use one purely as a wall hanger.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Watching the Tower of Joy scene again, and now I'm just upset that despite having a nice big fortification to work with, Dayne and friend are all just 'no we can fight in this field, it's cool'.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Some Zweihander weights here. Even the largest sword on display is only 14 lbs, and that's a full seven feet long. It's not ridiculous to ask for a weapon similar in size to what we've seen in the show already (the second Magnar's greataxe is freaking huge, for example).

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Watching the Tower of Joy scene again, and now I'm just upset that despite having a nice big fortification to work with, Dayne and friend are all just 'no we can fight in this field, it's cool'.

I was just thinking that. If they stood just inside the doorway they would create a huge problem for Ned and Co.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Max posted:

I was just thinking that. If they stood just inside the doorway they would create a huge problem for Ned and Co.

something something honor

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
It it too much to ask that people wear helmets and armor for fights?

And why are there star wars sword twirls. Enough already.

Any the dialog. Why change perfectly good dialog. grum isnt giving you a book to work with so why toss out the stuff from old books that you can use?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

They're vampires so they can't get inside.

I really dug the tower design too.

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Kuiperdolin posted:

They're vampires so they can't get inside.

I really dug the tower design too.

Speaking of, did the credits or something confirm that was Hightower as the 2nd dude and definitely not Sir Batman.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

At least there's no glaring botch with the dialogue here like there was with Lysa's death.

"Your sister"

:negative:

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Also for some reason whenever I imagined the TOJ I thought the fight was going on inside the room with Lyanna giving birth in the background lol

I always imagined it was only a slim little thing and dilapidated largely with Lyanna giving birth in the middle on the bottom floor, at least visible enough for her to see and scream "Eddard" and the name Rhaegar gave it being sort of ironic for the building.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fhate posted:

They're really not that bad. What they like to call a 'greatsword' would happily stand in for the German longsword, and those are under 5lbs, historically speaking. Even the actual greatswords, the 6 foot long behemoths, are under 8lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umi_HUoLdl0&t=122s

A bit of an example of what we could have seen, that's actual competition, though.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'll be happy if ends up being a medieval version of the fight scene between Piper and Davis in They Live.

"I'm giving you a choice: either put on this fire or start eatin' that greatsword."

CaptainRightful posted:

Every frame a painting is my favourite YouTube series. :allears:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

TommyGun85 posted:

Do you also gamble "just for fun" (re: no money) and believe even the losing team gets pizza and ice cream?

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

TommyGun85 posted:

Maybe. It's also a weapon that's incredibly light, never needs to be cleaned or sharpened, and is much sharper than any normal blade. I think it's reasonable that the warrior head of the family uses a weapon that is likely to make him infinitely more deadly, even if it's priceless.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

If you had a penis that was incredibly hard and thick and veiny, would you decide it was too good to use... I don't even know what I'm trying to say here

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Arthur and Ned both use their magic swords at the duel, I'd assume both intend the return their foes sword to their family and expect to be reciprocated in a likewise manner cause that's just what Ned did.

Tywin is the only one we've seen stealing a foe's valyrian sword and smelting it down, and he used the pretext of the Starks being attained traitors to get away with it, there's some Iron Borne house who's in posession of the Reyne's ancestral sword but they're a vanquished house.

Besides, don't you remember Dick Crabb's message to Brienne? "Shoulda used your magic sword" having a magic sword and not using it in situations where it could save your life is silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
You know, when I initially heard about the TV show I was really looking forward to seeing the best scene be put on screen. Number one with a bullet was the Tower of Joy. After the way they botched Tyrion's final scenes with Jamie and Tywin, I found myself praying that they would never cover it.

If there's one thing I hate, it's needless changes in an already brilliant scene. I understand that a TV show can't fit a book's worth of dialogue in one season, and sometimes scenes have to be rewritten. But for the life of me I can't understand why fantastic snappy dialogue in the book is removed for lines which say less with more.

Of course there is a reason for it; screenwriters who want to stamp their name on iconic scenes so they get more recognition. The trouble is, if they were any good they wouldn't be a nameless screenwriter working on a TV show or film. Either that, or like D&D they have a grossly inflated sense of their writing skill and believe that every change they make is for the better.