Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Party Plane Jones posted:

At one point they show some code on screen for the Machine during the training sequence in S4. If you Google it it's actually Stuxnet's code that they put on screen.

If there is one thing this show does that I think every should should do, it is nailing the poo poo out of their details and references. Hell even that adhoc cell network using tv antennae was based on something done in Egypt when the government starting shutting things down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It is, at the very least, one of the better examples I've seen (what I assume to be) product placement that is actually well-integrated into the plot.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Actually reasonable PS3 Cell processor cluster plot point, show continues to own :allears:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It's a little hokey, but I can buy that a bootleg super computer could be set up such that when it melts the processor (something that can happen if the hardware gets too hot), causes sparking and stuff. I well overlook it for the nerd cred of building a bootleg supercomputer out of used PS3s running a custom linux build. And when his desks go up, it's the weird PSU rig he's made that caused it, so that's plenty believable.

Also I'm in with the crowd of people literally brought to tears by the machine (multiple times).

The only thing I actually didn't like in this episode was a lack of Shaw and a lack of Greer. And Elias being dead, but I'm pretty sure they set that up ambiguously at the end of the last season incase they could get him to come back. I also thought it was a little hokey that the FBI agent covering up the investigation at Samaritan's behest didn't falsify a ballistics report, but I could buy that he didn't know he was doing it or just that the orders came down from the FBI HQ to just sweep it under the rug and the false report hasn't come in yet.

The instantly reinstalling Samaritan-ware reminds me of an article I read about someone making malware that would install itself into the disk controller on the harddisk itself, so even one were to reformat the drive completely and wipe it with a magnet, the controller software would be able to install itself at it's earliest convenience.

I am a 110% psyched for this season.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SpookyLizard posted:

I also thought it was a little hokey that the FBI agent covering up the investigation at Samaritan's behest didn't falsify a ballistics report, but I could buy that he didn't know he was doing it or just that the orders came down from the FBI HQ to just sweep it under the rug and the false report hasn't come in yet.

I can't recall if Samaritan lists him as an asset or not.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

V-Men posted:

After the scene where he shows the ballistics report and confuses the hell out of the IA guy, he does have a Samaritan asset tag, yeah.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

The only thing I actually didn't like in this episode was a lack of Shaw and a lack of Greer.

I figure we'll have plenty of both in episodes to come, and I found that Samaritan wordlessly hunting for them was effective enough that I didn't mind.

Though yeah, I really was (and am, though it seems unlikely at this point) hoping that Elias is only mostly dead. Dominic too, honestly. His story doesn't really feel like it went anywhere, and I think they could have done something a lot more interesting with the idea of 'smart and careful gang leader' than just use him as a roadblock for Our Heroes last season.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh no, I thought Samaritan, fully on it's own hunting the team was great. I just love me some Greer.

V-Men posted:

I just think it would've been great for Samaritan to just fabricate the evidence in half a second to back it's cover up. If it didn't prepare the evidence already.

Tortolia posted:

After the scene where he shows the ballistics report and confuses the hell out of the IA guy, he does have a Samaritan asset tag, yeah.

Asset asset or civilian asset.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

SpookyLizard posted:

Asset asset or civilian asset.
Same label as it gives its operatives under "Asset". Must've been a really easy bribe or blackmail, cause that was a pretty fast turn around time. That or the unlikely thing is that it was a Samaritan agent all along. Or maybe Samaritan agents infiltrated the FBI.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just a quick reminder for everyone that we are getting new eps this week tomorrow and Tuesday.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

docbeard posted:

It is, at the very least, one of the better examples I've seen (what I assume to be) product placement that is actually well-integrated into the plot.

if it was product placement why was the logo never viewed onsceen and its only referred to as "videogame console"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Monagle posted:

if it was product placement why was the logo never viewed onsceen and its only referred to as "videogame console"

Maybe I was imagining it, but I'm pretty sure I saw the PS3 logo on the boxes at one point.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

docbeard posted:

I figure we'll have plenty of both in episodes to come, and I found that Samaritan wordlessly hunting for them was effective enough that I didn't mind.

Though yeah, I really was (and am, though it seems unlikely at this point) hoping that Elias is only mostly dead. Dominic too, honestly. His story doesn't really feel like it went anywhere, and I think they could have done something a lot more interesting with the idea of 'smart and careful gang leader' than just use him as a roadblock for Our Heroes last season.

Maybe we're just seeing a consequence of the shortened season. I can see them possibly being killed as a potential write off if necessary, and they survive if there's more time. I could certainly see a situation where Dominic goes against Samaritan because he won't listen to anybody while Samaritan tries to enlist Elias because Samaritan can promise Elias his dominance over the underworld and the stability necessary to maintain it.

Monagle
May 7, 2007
Wonka Wash spelled backwards.

docbeard posted:

Maybe I was imagining it, but I'm pretty sure I saw the PS3 logo on the boxes at one point.

It wasn't like they went out of their way to hide the logos, but it was never a focus or part of the foreground

I think people have been conditioned to look for product placement boogieman and forget sometimes using real-life products is just part of verisimilitude

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Between this ep and Chappie I wonder if the writers both read the same wacky news story about using video game consoles to make supercomputers or if Sony is super keen on making the Playstation look like a supercomputer or some mix of both.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Monagle posted:

It wasn't like they went out of their way to hide the logos, but it was never a focus or part of the foreground

I think people have been conditioned to look for product placement boogieman and forget sometimes using real-life products is just part of verisimilitude

I obviously don't know if they got paid by Sony or just got permission from them, I just thought it was pretty clever if they did. I'm pretty sure they at least had to secure permission, particularly given that this is a show that doesn't hesitate to use made-up brands (Fetch-And-Retrieve.com, whatever the Facebook clone was called, etc.).

V-Men posted:

Maybe we're just seeing a consequence of the shortened season. I can see them possibly being killed as a potential write off if necessary, and they survive if there's more time. I could certainly see a situation where Dominic goes against Samaritan because he won't listen to anybody while Samaritan tries to enlist Elias because Samaritan can promise Elias his dominance over the underworld and the stability necessary to maintain it.

Yeah, I suspect you're right. Just felt like there was more story to be told with those characters (especially since Elias had drat near pieced together the existence of the Machine and Samaritan on his own, and Dominic at least knew something was up, though all of his theories were a lot more conventional). On the other hand, I can see a lot of interesting potential fallout from their deaths, too, with Samaritan noticing Fusco for the first time only being the beginning of it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

V-Men posted:

Dominic was full-out shot in the head dead in last season's finale, IIRC. Elias was the only one who was still 'alive' at the end of the episode, at least to the point where they could have written him as surviving. I'd imagine they decided to just write him out as dead when CBS only renewed for the 13 episode probably-final (at the time) season. If we got a full 22+ episode season, we might have seen, say, Floyd's return (Dominic's right-hand lady with Link killed) with her trying to work a vengeance plan or something that crosses the team's path, but welp.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:THIS WEEK'S EPISODES:siren:: SNAFU/Truth be Told

Monday Synopsis:The Machine experiences a glitch during rebooting, supplying Reese and Fusco with the numbers of dozens of people not actually involved in crimes, while also locking Finch and Root out after identifying them as threats based on past violent behavior.

Tuesday Synopsis:Reese’s cover could be blown when he realizes the latest POI has ties to his old colleagues in the CIA

Weekly Preview

SNAFU Sneak Peek

Feel free to come livewatch with us in the TVIV IRC Channel! I'm sure they won't mind being annoyed two nights in a row from now on.

As with every year, my fellow Canadians getting the Maritime airing early please refrain posting spoilers until the east coast airing at 10pm EST concludes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

As with every year, my fellow Canadians getting the Maritime airing early please refrain posting spoilers until the east coast airing at 10pm EST concludes.

Please, last week people weren't that good about this. You can do it, I believe in you.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
My friend was right and Michael Emerson is a delightful man :3: He crushed my legs the other night at a small off-broadway play and was so apologetic about it and we had a little back and forth apologetic conversation as the two of us were trying to fix the seats (think bolt-on row seats like you find at a ballpark) so he could sit without pushing the row back and into my shins again. My internal monologue was just "omgomgomgomgomg" the whole time, of course.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

It's come to my attention that the maritime airing for the Monday episodes of PoI are a bit later than the Tuesday ones. You'll still be an hour or so ahead of everyone though so don't push it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

flatluigi posted:

How does it deal with simultaneous events? Is it like that 24-style video that someone linked upthread or does it just cut between everything?

Typically with some sort of split screen. It usually works pretty okay, like lots of the scenes on Oceanic 815 overlap, and it's okay. But then there are a few points where multiple conversations are happening at once, and they still just run at the same time, and it doesn't really work. Of course no one should watch it as their first watch, so you still know what's happening.

I think there are actually two different projects to make a chrono-Lost, and I think they are a good bit different. The one I watched is pretty literal, so you get a bunch of pretty confusing blips of the time travelers appearing for a brief scene of a nose bleed or something. The other project apparently follows the time line as perceived by the cast instead of real time, so none of the 70s stuff is shown until our Losties end up there.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Early heads up. Next week's first episode, 5x4, will air on Sunday in Canada, typical spoiler rules apply. This should only be a one time thing since they are diverting airtime for the 2 hour AoS finale.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

Early heads up. Next week's first episode, 5x4, will air on Sunday in Canada, typical spoiler rules apply. This should only be a one time thing since they are diverting airtime for the 2 hour AoS finale.

And that's supposed to be the monster return of Shaw episode. Lucky fuckin' Canucks.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Suck it Americanailures

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

AoS airs Tuesdays right? That might mean we get 5x5 on Monday, not sure.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just a heads up.

https://twitter.com/marisaroffman/status/729813157494063104

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
I'm seeing double. Four Roots.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Normally I'd loot a Best Buy.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That fuckin new opening tease. Tomorrow, I guess.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Seeing the doors close on the Samaritan takeover of the title splash made me unusually happy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I couldn't help grinning when that phone rang.

Also holy poo poo an open system, for some reason I hadn't thought of that happening.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh boy this is not good

And yet it's also amazing

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
When the Machine listed Resse as having killed or disappeared 67 (or 62 my drinking dad says) people, I wonder if that's an accurate series total.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So much for contextualizing. :ohdear:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Turns out maybe Reese and Root are bad role models. Who could have thought?

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR
What time did the episode start? My DVR says it started recording at 10pm, but the episode is so far along I can't tell what's happening.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

violetdragon posted:

What time did the episode start? My DVR says it started recording at 10pm, but the episode is so far along I can't tell what's happening.

9:59

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

violetdragon posted:

They started it at 9:59 which is pretty messed up for DVR people yeah. I was watching 12 monkeys but I managed to reset my DVR just in time to record an extra couple minutes at the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the first minute is in my preview post, for what its worth.

• Locked thread