Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Why do they do this poo poo? Does CBS hate POI viewers?

The funny part is that I had the DVR set to start a minute early from when they did this last season. I changed it back to normal a couple hours ago because it was normal last week, and the early recording was causing a DVR conflict.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

violetdragon posted:

Why do they do this poo poo? Does CBS hate POI viewers?

I mean that's virtually unquestionable at this point. :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

GOOD DOG

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BAD MACHINE

BAD

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

/I DID/

gently caress.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
Way to be morally questionable by killing killers Machine. :v:

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Zaggitz posted:

the first minute is in my preview post, for what its worth.

So they basically just turned the machine on and it's facial recognition is all screwy?

Also, some kind of cool new opening. :mad:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Well that's a hell of a bug Finch!"

John, oh John

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Guy Mann posted:

Between this ep and Chappie I wonder if the writers both read the same wacky news story about using video game consoles to make supercomputers or if Sony is super keen on making the Playstation look like a supercomputer or some mix of both.

http://phys.org/news/2010-12-air-playstation-3s-supercomputer.html
Between the two, this show is more accurate. PS3's had a mode called "Other OS" and you could install Linux and use it as a desktop computer. Which means you could also cluster these together to run massively parallel software. It had some limitations so you couldn't just use it to boot up bootleg games. Sony removed that mode after someone started coming up with ways to play bootleg games using it. The PS4 consoles used in Chappie have no such mode. Also, much like the Xbox one they are basically just x86 computers with a Radeon card anyways. PS3s are a little old. I would've been more impressed had they setup a GPU-based cluster using a shitload of computers with 4 modern video cards each. But that would've been a little harder to convey to the audience what was happening.
It's not at all wacky. It's just uncommon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Haha the intro scene.

Zaggitz posted:

/I DID/

gently caress.

PAID IN ADVANCE

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Root's new costume makes me feel dirty.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This show is firing on all cylinders

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hopefully Blackwell pays off better than Claire did last year.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

"You need a purpose. More specifically, you need a job."

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh my god we're getting Keith David. This season is going to be amazing. :allears:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I thought this was coming on at the end of May . Holy poo poo is this a great start to a season.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Hollismason posted:

I thought this was coming on at the end of May . Holy poo poo is this a great start to a season.

that was the second episode, in case you missed the premiere.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Zaggitz posted:

that was the second episode, in case you missed the premiere.

And the premiere had Team Machine barely brute-forcing their way through Samaritan operatives while The Kills belted out "No Wow," so you should get on that if you haven't.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Was that Samaritan at the end, or is The Machine recruiting?

I assume The Machine, since the recruiter used Finch's line from the pilot?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

It was Samaritan's UI :\

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

That was Samaritan. It had the Samaritan UI

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Asset 704, that's a lot of assets.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What's the clue for the different UIs? Is there something obvious?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Aphrodite posted:

What's the clue for the different UIs? Is there something obvious?

The biggest visual indicator is that Samaritan uses circular/triangular identifiers when it's in AI point of view, versus the machine's dotted boxes.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Samaritan

Samaritan also had the sideblades and a gridlike pattern overlay. for transitions it also has a white background and a lot of rectangular images strewn about lines.

Machine

Machine UI transitions also look more organic, with his big brain like graph of connections, and its timeline on the bottom of the screen for flashbacks.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 10, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

Samaritan

153 IQ? Is Blackwall supposed to be a genius?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

No I caught the first episode really drat good. It looks like Samaritan is recruiting people based off IQ and a number of other analytics. Like the guy who cornered Root was kind of offputting in his explanation ,but it made a logical sense.

Samaritan is recruiting based on people who would probably respond well to specific situations like logical situations etc.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
I guess employment agencies are a more efficient way of finding new assets than devising more nautilus games.

Speaking of which, is what's-her-face coming back this season? It seemed like she was maybe beginning to question Samaritan's motives after it, you know, had a sniper shoot her.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
The Fuscanator!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Poala Bear posted:

The Fuscanator!

Best voicemail. I was really hoping someone says something to him.

And there is another episode tonight? Oh boy this is awesome

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

One strange thing I noticed this episode; Harold's walking seems to be a lot better?

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
I want an entire episode of the characters playing each other

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Lamont posted:

I couldn't disagree more. I think the last thing this show needs is more fan service.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'd love an episode of fan service as a bonus feature but it was great watching them imitate each other. I wouldn't want one of our last few eps dedicated to it to it.

This episode was loving phenomenal.

I think Samaritan is recruiting all over but it's using the office to steer useful people to it. Not just smart folks or whatever but someone who can be trusted to not just be smart but who has the willingness to do violence. This guy is also on parole which Samaritan can use as leverage.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 10, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what kind of monsters go to the park and don't take bear

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Okay I know this is a pretty obvious thing to say. But now more than ever:If you do not want to get MASSIVELY spoiled on upcoming developments for this season, avoid any and all press releases/promo photos for the show going forward. They have already released stuff all the way till ep 10 of the season and there is some massive stuff in there.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Lamont posted:

Amy Acker played everyone perfectly.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Amy Acker's Finch was so on point it was ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

NEW OPENING OWNS

• Locked thread