Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

YES. It's about high time! PSI Kusuo is shockingly underrated, so much so that scans only come once in a blue moon. Hopefully this will bring more attention to it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
here's a thing: Samon the Summoner
an impossibly nice girl tries to make friends with the weird transfer student in her class, only to find out he's a demon summoner who devotes himself to turning her evil by summoning a bunch of demons to gently caress with her daily life. Feels like it could develop into a battle manga at some point, which would be not good, but for now it probably fits in here.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I read that when it came out... I remember liking it and I just thought it wasn't being scanlationed. Not sure why it didn't actually get on my list. Thanks!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

dordreff posted:

here's a thing: Samon the Summoner
an impossibly nice girl tries to make friends with the weird transfer student in her class, only to find out he's a demon summoner who devotes himself to turning her evil by summoning a bunch of demons to gently caress with her daily life. Feels like it could develop into a battle manga at some point, which would be not good, but for now it probably fits in here.

I'd really love to see Samon interact with Karen the Demon (from Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa).

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
New Furumapura!

In which we learn: Kyou-chan has good style:

And that Cool Kyoushinsha likes leaving easter eggs lying around (spoilered if you wanna see it yourself when you read):

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

He also reealllllly likes big boobs, seems. A crime, since as Prison School tells us, boobs are just fake asses. :colbert:

Hey, a manga we had almost forgotten about! Nanige-san has a new chapter! Alas, it's the last chapter, so no more helpful Nanige-san to cheer us up.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

last volume actually, so there's still a few chapters left

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

YES. It's about high time! PSI Kusuo is shockingly underrated, so much so that scans only come once in a blue moon. Hopefully this will bring more attention to it!

I've always been really surprised that Saiki Kusuo, a really funny manga that runs in Shounen Jump, is not scanlated while countless random yaoi doujins and what have you are.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I've always been really surprised that Saiki Kusuo, a really funny manga that runs in Shounen Jump, is not scanlated while countless random yaoi doujins and what have you are.

Gag and comedy manga have never been as popular among fan translators as battle of the week stuff is. I've seen multiple groups complain about the extra effort involved with trying to get across puns and wordplay or to explain cultural references. The people doing the actual translation seem to burn out much faster on that sort of project.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
It takes a ton of effort and it makes you feel like poo poo because you end up looking at that poo poo for so long that everything feels terrible and unfunny even if it isn't

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure a fair amount of that niche stuff is done on commission, though. It's probably a lot easier to stay focused and churn stuff out when someone's paying you.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tons of new Criminale.

http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/criminale-r16325

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh my. Oh my what have you found here? This... it's amazing!! For a while now, no SDL manga has given me quite the same "ba-dump" feeling in my heart the way Sumire-16 did, but this definitely does! Look at this!!

FANTASTIC!!!

Hinako is the best girl. :swoon:

I love the drawings and the pacing of the panels. It's so lively, it's basically like watching an anime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DrSunshine posted:

Oh my. Oh my what have you found here? This... it's amazing!! For a while now, no SDL manga has given me quite the same "ba-dump" feeling in my heart the way Sumire-16 did, but this definitely does! Look at this!!

FANTASTIC!!!

Hinako is the best girl. :swoon:

I love the drawings and the pacing of the panels. It's so lively, it's basically like watching an anime.

That was one of my favorite pages too. I think what makes the comic work is how endearing the whole cast is for a gang of rambunctious criminals, besides just being nonstop nonsense comedy every chapter.

The pacing is super quick and it snaps from bit to bit to bit like that, never holding on it too long.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 6, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also: really good art, often the most important part.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

The only thing dragging Criminale down for me is Momoka, otherwise it is pretty good.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PrinnySquadron posted:

The only thing dragging Criminale down for me is Momoka, otherwise it is pretty good.

Yeah, word of warning here: it is preeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttty ecchi in a bunch of places, like the first couple chapters, and the bonus art at the end. The artist really seems to enjoy drawing dakimakura-style sketches of the girl characters!! Stay classy, Japan!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

PrinnySquadron posted:

Momoka is one of the best. You don't get the dildo swordfight without her.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Blaming an artist's proclivities on all of Japan is still super lame, too.

Thought we were past that...

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 6, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
There are plenty of pervert artists making comics outside of japan, they just don't have mainstream success.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PSI Kusuou Saiki just had a million bazillion chapters updated, go read it all!!

It will always cheese me off how his hair is actually apparently pink, but is inked black in the comic. I can't see the pink!

Oh and Demi-chan this time is a cute boy!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

PSI Kusuou Saiki just had a million bazillion chapters updated, go read it all!!

It will always cheese me off how his hair is actually apparently pink, but is inked black in the comic. I can't see the pink!

Oh and Demi-chan this time is a cute boy!

I don't think there are any new chapters, though? Just new versions of the first 30 chapters which were already translated.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Well everyone, it's here!

Chapter 7 of My Sweet Alien is up! I'm so glad my friend is doing it, she and her group do a wonderful job!

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Well everyone, it's here!

Chapter 7 of My Sweet Alien is up! I'm so glad my friend is doing it, she and her group do a wonderful job!

:siren: :megadeath: :siren:

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

Kotonoba Drive
From the guy who brought you the most relaxingingly depressing, yet optimistic take on a post-climate change world and "I really like planes". I only saw this mentioned like, two years ago so I figured I'd bring it up again.

It's a manga about a(nother) girl who works in a cafe and drives a scooter, Suu-chan, but the hook this time is that she ... gets lost in the moment. Sometimes literally. The art is as beautiful as we have come expect from Ashinano, and easily creates the sense of listlessness Suu feels in those moments. This is another great manga to lazily read on a summer afternoon. (Also, if you're here and you haven't read Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou yet ... what are you doing reading this post. Go read YKK instead.)

I took ages to get around to reading this, and I'm sorry I did - this is possibly my favourite series recommended by this thread. It really captures the feeling of, like… going somewhere that no-one else will probably visit for months. Going five minutes out of your way off a road you know like the back of your hand and finding something you never expected to see. It’s very calming and easy-going, and it has sort of a magical realism thread going throughout. The art is beautiful, too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

NAME REDACTED posted:

I took ages to get around to reading this, and I'm sorry I did - this is possibly my favourite series recommended by this thread. It really captures the feeling of, like… going somewhere that no-one else will probably visit for months. Going five minutes out of your way off a road you know like the back of your hand and finding something you never expected to see. It’s very calming and easy-going, and it has sort of a magical realism thread going throughout. The art is beautiful, too.

I was a little let-down by the fact that the background art wasn't as detailed as Yokohama Shopping Trip's in the chapters I perused, but maybe I ought to give it a second look-see.

Things start to go :tviv: on this latest, pensive episode of She's a Rokurokubi! Man I love the blushy faces this artist does, they're so nice!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's it's a flying witch.

Neat magic!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

NAME REDACTED posted:

I'm glad you like it! It's pretty great :3:

DrSunshine posted:

I was a little let-down by the fact that the background art wasn't as detailed as Yokohama Shopping Trip's in the chapters I perused, but maybe I ought to give it a second look-see.

The art is definitely not as detailed as YKK, but I do dearly love its sketchy feel.
The feel of each chapter seems to be something like "a fleeting glimpse at something different." If you don't slow down, you'll miss it

It ... sort of makes you really appreciate the sketchiness of it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

a kitten posted:

Neat magic!

I can't wait to see if they get to the cafe in the anime. Everybody there is just as perfect for the series as everyone else. :allears:

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
One question I have that may just be my terrible memory - wasn't the ghostie's whole schtick "can't talk, uses signcards, is cute"? Looks like she talked ... what, 3 times this chapter?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think she's just extremely shy with anyone who isn't part of the family running the cafe.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Ooh I love that kind of demonstrations, ghost girl did here. It really helps making the mysterious non-mysterious. And I'd think anyone in the same situation would want one.

For the Flying Witch anime, my guess is it will end with the sky whale story. It seems like a nice place to wrap up.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, that's another chapter I'd really like to see. It would be a good one to end on, too.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Sky whaaaaaaale~~

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

a kitten posted:

Neat magic!

:neckbeard: I really love this chapter. All that super-chill magic is really wonderful -- it's amazing how fun it is to see this sort of realistic, low-key magic. There's no sparkles or anything, stuff just "happens", and it's awesome.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

New Demi-chan is out!

In which Hikari is super cute.

E: to be clear, it's 16.5

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What happens if you try to put dullahan-chan's head onto her neck, where it would usually go?
How about making a shoulder-mounted head holder? (It would probably be uncomfortable, and inconvenient not being able to turn it.)

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

nielsm posted:

What happens if you try to put dullahan-chan's head onto her neck, where it would usually go?

It'd probably just fall off, without being stuck to a neck there's not much keeping it there.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

New Demi-chan is out!

In which Hikari is super cute.

E: to be clear, it's 16.5

In a contest between cute vampires, who wins -- Youko from "Actually, I'm a..." or Hikari from "Demi-chan"?

I think the real MVP of this episode is the teacher, who's again so very :science: that he's utterly unflappable and never misses a beat, even when talking about difficult subjects. It's all science to him, so he doesn't even give it a second thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Youko is a Cool Beauty though.