Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fat_Jacks
May 8, 2004
Yo Mines !!!

Jeoh posted:

Win 7 retail converts to Win 10 retail just fine. As long as it's done before July 29th. You don't even need to 'upgrade' from Windows 7, you can directly enter the key into Windows 10 and it'll work. That's what I did for my current build.

yup. I just installed win 10 on my bros pc using his win 7 key. Worked with no issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Kerbtree posted:

As a point of reference, I did swapped CPUs but kept the same board a few days ago and Windows didn't say peep to me about it.
The key is kept on the board. If you were to swap motherboards then you'd have problems.

Fat_Jacks posted:

yup. I just installed win 10 on my bros pc using his win 7 key. Worked with no issues.
Did the same with putting Win 10 Pro on my desktop. I used an 8.1 Pro retail key; however,

nielsm posted:

Nah, Win 7 retail converts into Win 10 "digital entitlement". The Win 7 retail license is generally okay to install on entirely new hardware, as long as you only use the license on a single computer. The Win 10 "digital entitlement" is strongly hardware-bound, has no associated product key, and will never activate on anything but the hardware it was obtained with.
who knows how entering Win 7/8 keys will work under Win 10 after the supposed deadline.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Apparently if you use the accessibility tools in Windows 7 you'll still be able to upgrade for free. Good news for gramps!

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
I keep getting this issue where the Start button and the Taskbar become unresponsive. It's usually accompanied by other applications such as Pictures and Movies & TV not loading as well as videos in the browser stopping and becoming unplayable if I try to restart them. I haven't found a solution other than shutting down and restarting the laptop.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Cerony posted:

I keep getting this issue where the Start button and the Taskbar become unresponsive. It's usually accompanied by other applications such as Pictures and Movies & TV not loading as well as videos in the browser stopping and becoming unplayable if I try to restart them. I haven't found a solution other than shutting down and restarting the laptop.

I haven't had a problem with pictures/video, but I have had the start menu randomly fail to load anything at all for several minutes at a time.

I'm use a EA build, however. So its half expected poo poo is broken.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

How did this happen
How do I get it to unhappen
It's all the same folder, I haven't even saved anything to it recently

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Arsten posted:

Actually, if you don't mind re-buying your games, most of them can be had on steam (or even GoG) without that nonsense in the first place.

Nothing says "Safe" like a site that still has NoCD cracks from 10+ years ago.

Just wanted to say, if the game is available on steam you should be able to 'buy' it by just entering the CDkey, and it will be added to your steam account. No loving around necessary.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Khablam posted:

Just wanted to say, if the game is available on steam you should be able to 'buy' it by just entering the CDkey, and it will be added to your steam account. No loving around necessary.

Doesn't this only work for old Valve games? When did third-party titles get that kind of support?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

isndl posted:

Doesn't this only work for old Valve games? When did third-party titles get that kind of support?

It can vary pretty hard, but: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

It was pretty nice when Dark Souls PTD came out on Steam some time after the retail release and I could just plug my key in and get it there.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I upgraded from 7 to 10 a while back, then used the rollback feature to restore my windows 7 install because 10 was causing all kinds of system instability issues. I've since done a complete wipe and fresh install of 7. Do I count as having "ownership" of 10? Will I need to pay if I don't upgrade again before the deadline?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Gunder posted:

I upgraded from 7 to 10 a while back, then used the rollback feature to restore my windows 7 install because 10 was causing all kinds of system instability issues. I've since done a complete wipe and fresh install of 7. Do I count as having "ownership" of 10? Will I need to pay if I don't upgrade again before the deadline?

If your Windows 10 install activated properly, then you should have a valid "digital entitlement" as long as your hardware doesn't change too much. You can then just reinstall Windows 10 on a blank disk (or upgrade again), and skip the product key step.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
well windows 10 was a cool experiment but unless I decide to run it on my laptop, my new PC build is going to happen after July 29. guess I'll just go back to 8.1

kirbysuperstar posted:

It can vary pretty hard, but: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

It was pretty nice when Dark Souls PTD came out on Steam some time after the retail release and I could just plug my key in and get it there.

I don't understand why Steam can't accept true retail serial keys. Unless you bought Call of Duty 4 of Grand Theft Auto IV when the Steam release did, your retail key still ain't worth poo poo. What the gently caress is preventing them from just obtaining the list of master keys? It would be super loving cool if I didn't have to rely on an almost ten-year old DVD to install my games

barnold fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 9, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Turdsdown Tom posted:

I don't understand why Steam can't accept true retail serial keys. Unless you bought Call of Duty 4 of Grand Theft Auto IV when the Steam release did, your retail key still ain't worth poo poo. What the gently caress is preventing them from just obtaining the list of master keys? It would be super loving cool if I didn't have to rely on an almost ten-year old DVD to install my games

To do this requires an explicit agreement between Steam and the publishers. Some have signed on, others haven't.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Just seems bizarre that a company would allow their games to be sold Steam-only and then gently caress over the people that already bought the game. Angry man yells at cloud computing.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So I upgraded to WIn10 on my HTPC, it's the only Windows PC I have. If I follow these instructions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/create-a-recovery-drive
http://www.techrepublic.com/article/be-prepared-create-a-windows-10-recovery-drive/

I can create a WIn10 recovery drive that I can actually reinstall Windows from if my HD goes down, right? I won't need any other media or a key or anything?

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
You can create recovery media with those methods yes, but it's important to note that if you've already installed and activated 10 then any future 10 install should activate automatically on that computer even without a key. You can just skip the step in the installer where you provide one and it will continue with the installation, and then once it's done it will automatically call home to the activation server and activate with the key that was provided on first install.

Also, Microsoft provides media downloads freely through the Media Creation Tool so as long as you either use it to make a disc in advance or have another computer running some kind of Windows, you should be able to recover any system that has ever had 10 installed and activated back up to fresh-install state even without a key or backup image.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 9, 2016

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Eletriarnation posted:

You can create recovery media with those methods yes, but it's important to note that if you've already installed and activated 10 then any future 10 install should activate automatically on that computer even without a key. Microsoft provides install media through the Media Creation Tool and doesn't require you to provide a key to get it, so even without a key or backup image you should always be able to recover a machine with 10 back to a fresh-install state.

Makes sense. So my computer upgraded from Xp->Vista->7->8->8.1->10 is now saved on their system as a valid WIn10, so as long as the MB isn't replaced, I can just make a new Win10 bootable USB and rebuild.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Makes sense. So my computer upgraded from Xp->Vista->7->8->8.1->10 is now saved on their system as a valid WIn10, so as long as the MB isn't replaced, I can just make a new Win10 bootable USB and rebuild.

Yes. I have personally seen this work with at least three different systems - just skip the key input step in the installer and it will take care of itself.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Is there some way to upgrade from win 10 home to pro? I have a ton of win 7 ultimate keys.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

lostleaf posted:

Is there some way to upgrade from win 10 home to pro? I have a ton of win 7 ultimate keys.

Install 7 with one of those keys and upgrade to 10 Pro, wasting the Home license, is your only way unless you'd rather pay like $80 to upgrade the Home license.

ed.: I forgot, but you can probably fresh-install 10 Pro using one of the 7 keys and skip the step of having to install 7 as long as you get an image that's from November or newer to support using 7/8 keys directly. You'll still burn the key but I assume that you planned on that happening.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 9, 2016

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

lostleaf posted:

If just putting the Ultimate key in doesn't do it, input the generic Pro key to upgrade, then activate it with one of the Ultimate keys.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

beuges posted:

Try windows-key + down arrow

Sorry for the late reply, but nope, that just makes the window fill the lower-left quarter of the screen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Okay I'm being thrown for a loop here and I hope someone can clear this up. The new Forza game is now on the Windows store (in beta) but I cant download it, it says I have to upgrade Windows. I'm running 10 pro x64, I always keep it updated. I checked the build and its build 10240. The store entry mentions version 1511, but I cant even seem to find what version I'm running, just the build appears when I try ver from cmd or winver from run. My rig is more than capable of running whatever is out there so thats not it. Can someone shed some light on this for me?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Just tried this because Forza. I'm not getting that message, but it is just sitting there on "Working"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

10240 was the launch build, so for whatever reason it has not updated you to the current build. Download a fresh copy of the media creation tool (an old copy will only install the old build you're on now) and upgrade Windows using that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doing that now. Not sure why it missed the november update, I'm a stickler for keeping things updated

Edit: yay blue screen while updating with clock watchdog timeout message! :D

Edit again: recovered from that, tried again but it's hanging on 25%/86% copying files. Failed the first time in safe_OS install recovery environment phase.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 10, 2016

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Is there anyway to get the old style Win7 Previous Versions working? I already have solid backup plans, so File History isn't really what I'm looking for

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dud root posted:

Is there anyway to get the old style Win7 Previous Versions working? I already have solid backup plans, so File History isn't really what I'm looking for

It works fine, just like Windows 7. I didn't have to enable anything on my stuff.
[edit]WTF?! Ok it is not working. I think I checked it maybe 6 months ago and remember it was working. Sorry about that.

Enable "Volume Shadow Copy" service, put it on Automatic. I am not sure if that is all you need to do.

This might help as well, http://batcmd.com/windows/10/services/vss/

redeyes fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 11, 2016

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ugh, in the latest insider preview, they changed the UAC header from yellow to baby blue. I mean, this is a trivial change, but it bothers me to no end. Yellow kind of hinted at some urgency, plus baby blue looks ugly as gently caress from a graphics design standpoint.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

New build puts a shield icon in the system tray for Windows Defender.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

GreenNight posted:

I like that one.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I don't see it on my laptop...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Kheldarn posted:

I don't see it on my laptop...

You have the build that came out today?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I should, yeah. I had a message saying that I needed to reboot it for an update when I got home from work this afternoon.

Windows 10 Home Version 1511 OS Build 10586.318

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Windows Pro Build 14342.rs1_release.160506-1708

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Kheldarn posted:

I should, yeah. I had a message saying that I needed to reboot it for an update when I got home from work this afternoon.

Windows 10 Home Version 1511 OS Build 10586.318
Thats not even an insider build, much less the insider build that got pushed yesterday.

The windows ink workspace icon is dumb. Looks like an infinity symbol, not a pen.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

What do you guys think of Windows 10 for businesses? Has anyone here done it, and how did it go?

I feel pretty neutral about it overall (Bitlocker seems good in case someone leaves their laptop on a train) but we have about 80 machines on Windows 7 and I'm wondering whether we should take the free upgrade before it goes away.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 12, 2016

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

ilkhan posted:

Thats not even an insider build, much less the insider build that got pushed yesterday.

The windows ink workspace icon is dumb. Looks like an infinity symbol, not a pen.

You don't see the pen in the center? I knew what it was when it first appeared because it looks like a pen drawing something. :confused:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jack the Lad posted:

What do you guys think of Windows 10 for businesses? Has anyone here done it, and how did it go?

I feel pretty neutral about it overall (Bitlocker seems good in case someone leaves their laptop on a train) but we have about 80 machines on Windows 7 and I'm wondering whether we should take the free upgrade before it goes away.

Are you on a domain and use GPO and/or other central management?
In that case, it seems like you should not upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, but should really instead get a Software Assurance deal and run Enterprise edition instead. Everyone is saying Microsoft is continually removing or gelding various management features from Pro, making them Enterprise-only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stevewm
May 10, 2005

nielsm posted:

......Everyone is saying Microsoft is continually removing or gelding various management features from Pro, making them Enterprise-only.....

Why does everyone hate small business? :(