Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Some babies are born with hair and others are born with insane grip strength and powerful fore-arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
A butcher friend of mine has incredible forearms from chopping meat all day

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

My forearms got huge as gently caress when I was working as a deck seaman in the navy. My grip used to be ridiculous.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i toss off my incompetent african fighters for forearm strength. also myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq92gDny-dE

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I did not expect that youtube video to be exactly what you just described.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

there are some pretty choice comments there

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

no discussion of grip strength is complete without Dan Hodge doin' his thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS7s3yebyrg

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

colonel_korn posted:

no discussion of grip strength is complete without Dan Hodge doin' his thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS7s3yebyrg

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

Gonna keep quoting myself. Both the women are in the bronze medal matches but you have to place in the top 2 so they are out. The women's Olympic team for the US will be...

48 kg/105.5 lbs. – Haley Augello, Lockport, Ill. (New York AC/OTC)
53 kg/116.5 lbs. – Helen Maroulis, Huntington Beach, Calif. (Sunkist Kids)
63 kg/138.75 lbs. – Elena Pirozhkova, Colorado Springs, Colo. (Titan Mercury WC)
75 kg/165 lbs. – Adeline Gray, Colorado Springs, Colo. (New York AC/OTC)

USA will not be represented at the Olympics at 58kg or 69kg in Women's freestyle. Men's Freestyle is tommorow and the US will try to qualify their last weight, 65kg.

Marilano didn't get to the top 2. USA won't have Olympic rep at 65kg.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Based on results it looks like the premier regional training center is at Ohio State. For Freestyle at least. Greco is still Northern Michigan because Northern Michigan is still the only place in the country that cares enough about Greco to make it a priority.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Thoguh posted:

drat that was a supremely stacked division at trials this year too.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

JHomer722 posted:

drat that was a supremely stacked division at trials this year too.

Yeah, crazy that much talent wasn't able to place high enough at any of the qualifying tournaments. Though the combination of all the former Soviet states getting individual reps plus the reduced number of weight classes makes just qualifying in wrestling harder than medaling in some sports.

Seriously, you can't tell me the total number of people who participate in competitive trampoline worldwide is more than the number of kids at a random weekend youth wrestling tournament in nowhere USA.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Pretty entertaining fight, plenty of ground work -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTgnmp8lr_w

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Marching Powder posted:

So why are they all seemingly jacking dude off here?

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 9, 2016

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Captain Log posted:

"Seemingly"

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Captain Log posted:

A guy convinced people that jacking people off is the cure for getting knocked out.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Outside of Dollamur mats, are there any other quality mats out there?

Looking to put at least 10x10 worth of mats in my garage and always seem to get directed to Dollamur.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Alfalfa posted:

Looking to put at least 10x10 worth of mats in my garage and always seem to get directed to Dollamur.

Zebra Mats is the other one I see fairly often. Are you looking to get tatami or rolling mats?

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa posted:

I've never used them but I've been told that AK Athletics has decent mats for the price.

I personally have some Dollamur Flexi-Roll mats and really like them. The only issue I have is that I got the tatami texture so the mat tape doesn't stick well at all. I got mine from Dollamur's Ebay store for a better price then buying them directly from the Dollamur website. You can also get factory seconds from the ebay store that are completely functional but may have misprinted vinyl from a custom order or something like that.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I've been a fat goon all my life and decided to try a bjj class. I never really played sports and I'm uncoordinated in general but I just wanted to get out of my comfort zone.

I'm 4 classes in now and having a lot of fun, but as expected I'm not catching on very quickly. The moves we go over feel awkward and by the next class I've forgotten how to do them.

For the first time I stayed to roll with another white belt and I realized that I have absolutely no game plan. Is there some decent resource out there for newb white belts that perhaps suggests 1-3 basic submissions from top and from bottom as a starting point to work on?

Maybe I just found a nice gym but I'm very surprised at how encouraging and supportive the environment is. I expected people to be annoyed at being paired with the sloppy clueless new guy but the "ace" students jumped at the chance to partner up with me and they have been very helpful showing me through the motions and not all concerned that they might be wasting their time in class with my mr. magoo moves. There might be a teacher's pet factor as the instructor seems very good and well respected.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

kickascii posted:

I've been a fat goon all my life and decided to try a bjj class. I never really played sports and I'm uncoordinated in general but I just wanted to get out of my comfort zone.

I'm 4 classes in now and having a lot of fun, but as expected I'm not catching on very quickly. The moves we go over feel awkward and by the next class I've forgotten how to do them.

For the first time I stayed to roll with another white belt and I realized that I have absolutely no game plan. Is there some decent resource out there for newb white belts that perhaps suggests 1-3 basic submissions from top and from bottom as a starting point to work on?

Maybe I just found a nice gym but I'm very surprised at how encouraging and supportive the environment is. I expected people to be annoyed at being paired with the sloppy clueless new guy but the "ace" students jumped at the chance to partner up with me and they have been very helpful showing me through the motions and not all concerned that they might be wasting their time in class with my mr. magoo moves. There might be a teacher's pet factor as the instructor seems very good and well respected.

It's not you. Anyone new to grappling will be lost and helpless for awhile. You just gotta keep showing up. Even as you progress you might not feel like it's getting better because all of the dudes around you are also getting better. Then, one day, some new guy will come in and you'll feel like you've figured out the matrix because you can do what you want with him. For a gameplan: try to get into positions to do the moves that you drilled during class and try them against a more resistant opponent. Even if you don't get to do the move, trying to solve the "how do I get there?" problem is a worthwhile endeavor. You'll fail repeatedly. Try not to keep failing the same way.

Everyone here likes Saulo Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University as a reference.
http://www.amazon.com/Jiu-Jitsu-University-Saulo-Ribeiro/dp/0981504434

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Just keep going, everyone had the same start as you, it's not unusual. You'll get it.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Evetyone says the same thing, youll spend months being ground up and then one day you'll turn a corner and start being more competitive.

If/when new people start and you roll with them you'll realise how much you've picked up too.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Appreciate it. Decided to just go with Dollamur and got smooth rolling mats. Looking forward to getting them in and trying them out in my garage.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
drat that weird 'reverse rubber guard' position in Fredericks match at ebi was certainly interesting.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Holy crap, and this OT is great viewing.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

kickascii posted:

I think this is basically what Stephan Kesting's free book at grapplearts.com covers. From most of what I've seen/experienced, the attitude you describe is pretty universal in the bjj world. Experiencing humility on such a regular basis makes for great people.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It must do. Everyone I've met through bjj, one person aside, has been so nice & friendly.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
BJJ has it's assholes just like any hobby, but the culture as a whole is very helpful and welcoming. BJJ owes a lot to Judo, but Kano's "Mutual Welfare and Benefit" was definitely one of the best things it retained.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

fatherdog posted:

BJJ has it's assholes just like any hobby, but the culture as a whole is very helpful and welcoming. BJJ owes a lot to Judo, but Kano's "Mutual Welfare and Benefit" was definitely one of the best things it retained.

Not to take the thread on a psychology and philosophy derail but...

In "Man's Search for Meaning" Frankl lays out his case for the "will to meaning." The idea is that the fundamental force driving human's through their life is the desire to have meaning in their life. There were three basic tenets to this:

•Life has meaning under all circumstances, even the most miserable ones.
•Our main motivation for living is our will to find meaning in life.
•We have freedom to find meaning in what we do, and what we experience, or at least in the stand we take when faced with a situation of unchangeable suffering.

To Frankl the troubles many people dealt with (depression, unhappiness, anxiety, etc) are due to not seeing or understanding the meaning that people have their lives. The meaning is always there, but many times people are blind to it. He argued that there are three ways that people can discover the meaning in their lives.

1. By the work that we do
2. By the relationships we have with other people
3. By the attitude we take in the face of unavoidable suffering

BJJ is an activity that let's someone engage in all 3 of those things at once. There is the work of learning and improving ourselves, there are relationships with training partners and being of service to them so that they may learn and improve themselves, and there is, of course, suffering and discomfort that can be used to learn to be positive and keep working even under tremendous stress.

Through BJJ I'm able to find meaning in my life, learn to stay positive, and improve myself all at once. Given that, it's easy to see why BJJ leads to positive people and a desire to be of service to others.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Nicely put

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
And anything thats super technical is always very humbling.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Then there's the dude who angrily jumps on an ankle lock after the round is over because he couldn't pass your guard.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

kickascii posted:

Your initial 'game plan' will consist of whatever techniques you remember from class put together like piecework, but you'll probably get exposed to a number of offensive techniques a few times each before you even remember to try them in rolling. If you're going to get on youtube and start obsessing about stuff, start with basic side control and mount escape techniques, because you'll have a lot more opportunities to work on those than anything else for a while:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCu3MmHfbb0

Keg fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 11, 2016

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Then there's the dude who angrily jumps on an ankle lock after the round is over because he couldn't pass your guard.

Had similar thing happen today with 30 seconds left, purple belt goes nuts trying to get a finish, I end up grabbing a single on him and he somehow tried to jump and RNC me but instead just punched me in the mouth...

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I had a brown belt bite the top of my skull as he moved in for a move after ripping me towards the ground. that sucked.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Wangsbig posted:

Experiencing humility on such a regular basis makes for great people.

https://www.attacktheback.com/man-wearing-gracie-jiu-jitsu-hoodie-flashes-girls-in-melbourne-australia/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

also, Hermes Franca. and Lloyd Irvin.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Also http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/5/11/11647128/royce-gracie-khonkhor-enterprises-irs-tax-fraud-ufc-bellator-mma-news

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

About that. Apparently a couple guys tested positive for Melodium at some of the earlier qualifier tournaments and had their results invalidated. Because of that, there was a ripple effect through the results of multiple qualifier tournaments (since the last chance tournaments could only be attended if a country had not already qualified)

Flowrestling posted:

Due to doping violations at the European Olympic Games Qualifier Magomedmurad GADZHIEV (POL) and Andriy KVYATKOVSKYY (UKR) have had their results at 65kg wiped and associated Olympic licenses revoked. The licenses were transferred to Georgia (via Zurabi IAKOBISHVILI) and Armenia (via Devid SAFARYAN).

Following this adjustment, Bulgaria (via Boris NOVACHKOV) earns the Olympic license won by Georgia at the 1st World OG Qualifier in Mongolia.

As Bulgaria takes their license from the 1st World OG Qualifier, their first-place finish at the 2nd World OG Qualifier will be transferred to the United States who finished in third place (via Frank MOLINARO).

So USA will have a full complement for Men's Freestyle.