Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

MrYenko posted:

Cook the pancakes in the bacon pan. Trust me on this.

Also put beer in your pancake mix instead of milk

I'm not kidding do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Suspect Bucket posted:

Also put beer in your pancake mix instead of milk

I'm not kidding do it

Or earl grey or roibos tea. Fantastic.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I cooked steak with redwine and mushroom sauce in my cast iron today I love my castiorn pan (:

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Try cooking bacon in it in the oven. It takes a little longer but you'll never go back.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Ninja Pangolin posted:

Try cooking bacon in it in the oven. It takes a little longer but you'll never go back.

:cool::respek::cool:
When I visit my parents they are always surprised how much better it comes out.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
You mean the "put bacon in a pan on the range turned up to high until it's charcoal" technique isn't the best way to make bacon?

It never ceases to amaze me that the idea that "bacon shouldn't be cooked at as high of a temperature as literally possible" blows people's minds.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I love oven-baked bacon, but I also love pancakes made in the bacon grease, and I also hate doing dishes.

:effort:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

MrYenko posted:

I love oven-baked bacon, but I also love pancakes made in the bacon grease, and I also hate doing dishes.

:effort:

I do this thing: put cold bacon in cold cast iron into 375 deg oven, let it all heat up and cook checking every once in a while until at desired level. I tend to go over ten minutes for cripsy bacon.

Then by the end you have a hot pan full of rendered bacon grease, which you can save and use part of to cook pancakes immediately.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

But turning the heat down makes it take longer! I want bacon NOW!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Enourmo posted:

This was me for the longest time :smith:

I try to leave the burner on lower temps now, especially with the cast iron. Unless I'm boiling water; gotta go fast.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

nmfree posted:

You mean the "put bacon in a pan on the range turned up to high until it's charcoal" technique isn't the best way to make bacon?

It never ceases to amaze me that the idea that "bacon shouldn't be cooked at as high of a temperature as literally possible" blows people's minds.

It never ceases to amaze me.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I went oven-style after making the mistake of thinking "this bacon looks about 50% cooked, I'll go take a whiz for a second" and coming back to nice charcoal in the skillet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Enourmo posted:

thats what a microwave is for if its streaky bacon

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jose posted:

thats what a microwave is for if its streaky bacon

:getout:

I enjoy pan frying bacon because nothing quite gets the blood pumping in the morning like oil splatter. And nothing quite stops it like the quarter pound of bacon you eat to 'test' how the frying is coming along.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I put bacon in a cold cast iron pan with enough water to almost cover. By the time the water is gone, the fat is rendered and you can get that delicious bacon meat to whatever texture you want. The fat also comes out cleaner this way, so it'll keep from rancidifying longer.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

:getout:

I enjoy pan frying bacon because nothing quite gets the blood pumping in the morning like oil splatter. And nothing quite stops it like the quarter pound of bacon you eat to 'test' how the frying is coming along.

i'm not suggesting anyone do it but it is the fastest way to cook streaky bacon

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If Jacques Pepin recommends it, it's officially OK to cook bacon in the microwave.

I always cook bacon in the oven, because I want more bacon than fits on a plate in the microwave.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I cook bacon in the oven....

...in my cast iron skillet.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My buddy found this waffle griddle. Is this something that can be cleaned up without crazy stuff like an electrolysis bath? Haven't seen it in person but that's a lot of rust.

I have one of these but mine uses wood handles. It was made for a flat-top woodstove. Has a nifty base and everything. It's a pain in the rear end to use on a gas stove but I make due.

At any rate, mine looked like this one when I found it at a second hand store. I just used a green scrubby, lemon juice, and sea salt. That stripped the rust just fine. I re-seasoned it by firing it on the stove top with bacon grease.

Then I made a ton of waffles using Crisco. Totally non-stick now.

Tasty, crispy, waffles.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

QuarkMartial posted:

I cook bacon in the oven....

...in my cast iron skillet.
Do you like to preheat the skillet? I like to preheat the skillet when I oven bake bacon

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

My buddy might be grilling out later today. I saw mention of putting vegetables into cast iron skillets and putting them in a grill. What do you guys recommend?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My buddy might be grilling out later today. I saw mention of putting vegetables into cast iron skillets and putting them in a grill. What do you guys recommend?

I say do it.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I recommend doing that thing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

coyo7e posted:

Do you like to preheat the skillet? I like to preheat the skillet when I oven bake bacon

Sometimes. Kind of depends on what I'm doing and whether or not I remember.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So my friend sold me a couple cast iron things that he had, for $15. A no-name Taiwanese dutch oven, and a god drat Griswold skillet. I think 10", not sure; he was just going to chuck them in a fire for several hours to "clean" them and resell. I did my best with steel wool, a scrubber and these stupid hands to get all the rust off on the cooking surface, and they're seasoning in the oven now. The Griswold looks very black and shiny and smooth. :allears: The bottom and outside still have a lot of char but that might be a future project. I will try to remember to take pics after they cool.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'd rather do them on the grill bare, but it largely depends on the setup, the veggies, etc.. For instance I really dig gai-lon in sesame oil with garlic and ginger tossed onto the upper rack in my propane grill, cooked just long enough to get a little crispy crinkly on the edges of the leaves, but enough to make them tender. Squash and asparagus too.

I mean cast iron works but if you've got the chance to get grill marks on your veggies then jump on it!!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've got a steel skillet full of holes for grilling veggies. Yummy.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
What are everyone's thoughts/experience regarding glass top stoves with cast iron? I'm moving into a house with one and my first instinct is that I cannot use them on it, both because of potential scratching on the pans and potential breaking of the stove-top. We plan to get a gas range at some point down the line, but buying a house ain't cheap, so for now that's not an option.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

What are everyone's thoughts/experience regarding glass top stoves with cast iron? I'm moving into a house with one and my first instinct is that I cannot use them on it, both because of potential scratching on the pans and potential breaking of the stove-top. We plan to get a gas range at some point down the line, but buying a house ain't cheap, so for now that's not an option.

It's not an issue. At all.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

It's fine. Don't be an ape.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks! Hopefully as we move I can snag a picture of the GF's old griswold, because it's one of the most beat up pieces of cast iron I've ever seen someone cook with. Pitted as all hell, a huge crack that's been welded up, all before she got it for a few bucks thrifting. I can probably post the 1930's cast iron sausage stuffer her folks brought us too, her grandparents bought it when they first moved to the US, and up until her grandad died they used it every year at their family reunion if not more often.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Let's all take a moment to remember our flat cast iron griddles and the glorious courgette ("zucchini", if you must) on them

Only registered members can see post attachments!

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Knowing more about cast Iron I've started buying anything that's cheap and says USA. Today I did pretty good.

I saw this #8 cast iron dutch oven sitting on the floor with a bunch of vinyl records. It was in the white with a small amount of light surface rust so I assumed it was a Chinese junker that was sold unseasoned and was never used. It also has a weird defect to the lid handle where one base is thicker.

Lid only says 10 1/4 8

I flipped it over and could make out USA so i figured I'd take it for $5.

I got it home and with a flash can just make out USA D3 8DO. A bit of googling and it turns out it's a 1940s Lodge. Not sure if it was really never seasoned or used since the 1940s or someone stripped it with an electrolysis bath and never seasoned it and donated it. I'm leaning towards never used or seasoned because it has absolutely no wear or damage that would show from being banged around for 70 years. Even the bail is perfect which is hard to pull of with any amount of actual use. And I've stripped several pans but never not reseasoned immediately. Either way it's worth the $5

I wiped it down with vinegar to remove the surface rust and have started reseasoning with Flax Oil I got from whole foods. This is only after the first coat.

Looks great and this is only coat 2, I've never bought a used pan that is ready to season. I wish they were all this nice.

I also get the bonus of a lid to fit the pile of Griswold and Lodge #8 skillets i already have.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pubic Lair posted:

Knowing more about cast Iron I've started buying anything that's cheap and says USA. Today I did pretty good.

The lid is probably worth more then the Dutch oven. Fantastic find! So jealous.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Anyone have first hand experience returning something to Le Creuset for a warranty claim?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Nope, although I've only heard good things

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

atothesquiz posted:

Anyone have first hand experience returning something to Le Creuset for a warranty claim?

The thing I've heard is that Le Creuset US is great for customer service, but Europe is a bit hit or miss amazingly.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I got impatient and decided to use that Lodge Dutch Oven after only 2 coats of seasoning.

Paired with a 2 sided lodge griddle I thrifted for $5 and a $20 Victoria Press from amazon.

Flour and Corn because my wife is a demanding jerk.

and some salsa from the salsa thread

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Picked up (another) lodge 8" pan at a.c. estate sale over the weekend for $1. Glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

glass owns and will do basically anything you want while being piss easy to clean