Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Until listening with headphones, I didn't realize the weird noises at the end of "Daydreaming" are both a weird backwards voice AND a string section. At least I think they are. Crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

Until listening with headphones, I didn't realize the weird noises at the end of "Daydreaming" are both a weird backwards voice AND a string section. At least I think they are. Crazy.

Efil ym fo flaH

Wonder what Rachael thinks of this record

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Sooooo is that actually Thom (albeit with some technical assistance) singing the disco-y interlude in "Identikit?"

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Wonder what Rachael thinks of this record

So admittedly I haven't kept up on Thom's personal life. Was he married but no longer is, and this is the first record since the divorce?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

So admittedly I haven't kept up on Thom's personal life. Was he married but no longer is, and this is the first record since the divorce?

I don't think they were married, might be wrong, but yeah basically.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I keep hearing "Pieces of a ragdoll mankind" on Identikit as saying "rectal mankind".

Sir Lemming posted:

Its like a backwards delay effect of his voice that eventually gets overtaken by strings playing the same melody.

AARO
Mar 9, 2005

by Lowtax

kalensc posted:

I feel the length of HTTT so there's a track or two I just skip out of habit, but it's a very good album. Coming off of OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac, and I Might be Wrong (Live) it fell flat for me initially as well, but after In Rainbows I went back to it and it clicked to a far higher degree.

These quotes are rather illuminating as to why the album felt "off" in some regards...

HTTT has Scaterbrain, Myxomatosis, Sail to the Moon, We suck young blood , Punch up at a Wedding and Wolf at the Door. Its one of their strongest releases. Every single one of those songs beats In Rainbows except for maybe Videotape.

BigFactory posted:

I don't think they were married, might be wrong, but yeah basically.

Thom and Rachel Owen lived together for 23 years and had two children but they never married. They split up last year on "totally amicable terms" or some such. Really lovely for the kids; they have a 15yo son and a 12yo daughter.

AARO fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 10, 2016

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

olin posted:

HTTT has Scaterbrain, Myxomatosis, Sail to the Moon, We suck young blood , Punch up at a Wedding and Wolf at the Door. Its one of their strongest releases. Every single one of those songs beats In Rainbows except for maybe Videotape.

As someone said earlier, it's crazy that fans of RH can have such varying opinions on their records. HTTT has never totally clicked for me and the tracks you listed are, by and large, my least favourite on the album. I don't hate them at all (or HTTT), but seeing your list particularly illustrated the divide to me. I guess it's inevitable (and good) that a huge pile of material will appeal differently to different people.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Tenterhooks posted:

As someone said earlier, it's crazy that fans of RH can have such varying opinions on their records. HTTT has never totally clicked for me and the tracks you listed are, by and large, my least favourite on the album. I don't hate them at all (or HTTT), but seeing your list particularly illustrated the divide to me. I guess it's inevitable (and good) that a huge pile of material will appeal differently to different people.

Punch up at a wedding has a sick bass line. I like that song.

olin posted:

Thom and Rachel Owen lived together for 23 years and had two children but they never married. They split up last year on "totally amicable terms" or some such. Really lovely for the kids; they have a 15yo son and a 12yo daughter.
People break up, sometimes they have kids. You don't know if it's really lovely or not.

Batcat! Batcat!
Dec 21, 2009

BigFactory posted:

People break up, sometimes they have kids. You don't know if it's really lovely or not.

If no one is angry and everyone remembers to be grown ups, its significantly better. Its a part of life.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
As with most of Radiohead's albums post-OK Computer, it took me a few listens to get into this one, but it might be my favorite since Kid A now.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

olin posted:

I find the whole my album > your album stuff tedious but this is hosed. So painfully wrong, everything here.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

I find the whole my album > your album stuff tedious but this is hosed. So painfully wrong, everything here.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ICHIBAHN posted:

All the songs he mentioned are great, but none of them match Weird Fishes, House of Cards or Jigsaw either.

All Radiohead songs and albums are cool and good and it's okay for everyone to like them. :unsmith: Except Pablo Honey.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Anyone can play guitar and I Can't are catchy as gently caress, and Blow Out is legit good.

Not a masterpiece, but Pablo is fun pop when the mood strikes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

HD DAD posted:

Anyone can play guitar and I Can't are catchy as gently caress, and Blow Out is legit good.

Not a masterpiece, but Pablo is fun pop when the mood strikes.

It's probably their best album.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BigFactory posted:

It's probably their best album.

Indeed, but is it good for the beach or the gym?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

Indeed, but is it good for the beach or the gym?

Both!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
After careful thought, I'm handicapping Pitchfork's rating at 8.9. Low, I know, but it's still going to be BNM.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
HTTT is decent but their worst of the post 2000s I think. Though those songs your mentioned are probably the worst in the record. Bizarre choices. That's on you though.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Am I losing my mind or did Burn The Witch open with bird noises? On the album it just jumps right in. Am I freaking out or was there an album version / single version?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

Am I losing my mind or did Burn The Witch open with bird noises? On the album it just jumps right in. Am I freaking out or was there an album version / single version?

You're thinking about the music video. It starts with a bird chirping. The single doesn't have that.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thank you

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

ICHIBAHN posted:

HTTT is decent but their worst of the post 2000s I think. Though those songs your mentioned are probably the worst in the record. Bizarre choices. That's on you though.

TKOL is their worst post-2000 (and honestly, worst outright) for me because it's a "good" album in that the songs were much better represented live (similar to how Amnesiac songs are all better live) except the studio versions lacked the depth and energy that the live performances bring. That said, AMSP owns and is Album of the Year material except for the fact that Blackstar exists. Long term I don't know where it'll sit in my personal rankings, but if it isn't their most cohesive album outright, it's really loving close to being it.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I like that opinions on all the albums vary. I think it's a testament to the quality of the band that everyone can get something out of every album. I really like Hail to the Thief, and I think it probably holds a particularly special place for people about my age, who were just entering college in 2003 and maybe becoming newly politically aware and angry about the direction that discourse and human interaction were heading. As with all of their albums the temporal context is super important.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Steve2911 posted:

All the songs he mentioned are great, but none of them match Weird Fishes, House of Cards or Jigsaw either.

All Radiohead songs and albums are cool and good and it's okay for everyone to like them. :unsmith: Except Pablo Honey.

I think our Radiohead tastes are opposite polarity. Those three songs are basically my least favorite in their catalog post-OKC (I assume your other favorites are Let Down, Knives Out, Punch Up, Little by Little, Mr. Magpie, Give Up the Ghost, Bodysnatchers).

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
People don't like Knives Out? Man that's my favorite Radiohead song.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Seriously, who the hell doesn't like Knives Out

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Are there full credits available anywhere? The NYT review mentioned specific string players/a choir on songs so they're out there somewhere ...

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Jewmanji posted:

(I assume your other favorites are Let Down, Knives Out, Punch Up, Little by Little, Mr. Magpie, Give Up the Ghost, Bodysnatchers).

Good list of good songs here.

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Are there full credits available anywhere? The NYT review mentioned specific string players/a choir on songs so they're out there somewhere ...

Haven't found a full list of credits, although London Contemporary Orchestra confirmed their involvement in a brief facebook post.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

turnip kid posted:

"Too many strings" is such a strange criticism. I love bombastic string arrangements. I wish there were more strings, to be honest. Give me strings.

I've been extremely indifferent to Radiohead since 2003, when Hail to the Thief landed with a resounding thud with me, so this is an extremely pleasant surprise. I love the album and am now trying to make amends with the band and give HTTT-King of Limbs another shot.

I get where you're coming from, but this album doesn't have much in the way of bombastic string arrangements...it has gentle, sort of flaccid versions of what Greenwood was already doing better on his PT Anderson scores for the last 7 years.

The first half of this album is really great, but I gotta echo what someone else said, beyond track 5 it's really close to adult contemporary. It's nice to have a song or two that hit that natural idyll (like Codex did, or Sail to the Moon), but a whole album full of them is a bit much for me. There are moments on this album that sound exactly like a Broken Bells album, an accessibility which I don't prefer. I'll probably just cut Identikit and Glass Eyes right out of my rotation, and some of the other stuff on the album is a bit too precious as well.

HttT and KoL are two of my favorite RH albums and I love how out-there both can get, just in terms of the overall abrasiveness and glitchiness of their production. Also, I much prefer the active/alert/paranoid Radiohead to the vulnerable/defeated Radiohead. I agree that this album sounds like a band at the end of the line. :(

I'll probably come around on it.

Probably Magic posted:

I'm not going to lie and say that I listen to every single Hail to the Thief song (though it's Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door that I do skip, which people love, while stuff people dismiss like Backdrifts, I really adore), and that might be what keeps it from being one of my favorite "albums" like In Rainbow was, but Hail to the Thief is definitely my favorite Radiohead album. It's so creepy and yet whimsical in its own strange way, with all the fairy tale allusions, and I'd listen to it regularly walking through wild forests because it captures the paranoia that goes with it so well. Really a fantastic album for me.

I'm with you, there are a few sub-par tracks but overall I think it has more content than any of their albums, and is tied with Amnesiac for my favorite. Of RH's stuff it's my [desert island 'disc']. Also has Radiohead's best cover art.

Ballz posted:

The King of Limbs is a Colin and Phil tour de force and I loving love it.

Princeps32 posted:

Real talk TKOL is flawed but Bloom alone was worth the price of admission, even the first time, because of that rhythm section.

Well said. Bloom is one of their best songs, period.

Probably Magic posted:

I've yet to meet anyone who hasn't absolutely raved about Scatterbrain and Wolf at the Door, while I would've been fine with the album ending with Myxomatosis, but I figure I'm the only one who feels that way. That's okay. We can all agree that There There is amazing, so it's all good.

Sometimes on playlists I cut out The Gloaming, I Will, Punch Up..., and Scatterbrain. Just leave the overall order the same and it works really loving well for the flow of the whole.

stuart scott posted:

I like that opinions on all the albums vary. I think it's a testament to the quality of the band that everyone can get something out of every album. I really like Hail to the Thief, and I think it probably holds a particularly special place for people about my age, who were just entering college in 2003 and maybe becoming newly politically aware and angry about the direction that discourse and human interaction were heading. As with all of their albums the temporal context is super important.

I can identify with this.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

This is the first album they've had since Kid A where I've felt every track is essential. This stacks up with Kid A and OK Computer and I'm still processing that they've released another album like this. I knew they could, but geez.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
I never realized that True Love Waits was a jigsaw piece made years ago for a puzzle that hadn't been created yet. It's the perfect corner piece that completes a gorgeous picture.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

For anyone that bought the 24 bit WAVs from WASTE - list to True Love Waits at 0:27-0:28 mark. Does the audio file sound distorted on the word "babies"? I've downloaded it twice and tried it in various programs, but it's almost like there's something wrong with the file. I didn't notice it until headphone listens.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Louisgod posted:

I never realized that True Love Waits was a jigsaw piece made years ago for a puzzle that hadn't been created yet. It's the perfect corner piece that completes a gorgeous picture.

Much like the fatty jerky was a jigsaw piece to a puzzle in your mouth?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Much like the fatty jerky was a jigsaw piece to a puzzle in your mouth?

Okay..?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Louisgod posted:

Yeah, agreed. Talk about tragic irony.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Go eat some jerky jerkyboy

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
The thing that trips me up about this album is the rhythm. Or lack of it.

Like, historically, Radiohead songs have a certain rhythmic rigidity, a clear pulse. Even when they're using weird time signatures or polymeters, everything snaps into a locked tempo. Pyramid Song sounds like it's adrift at first, for example, but the drums make sense of it.

... Whereas like half of AMSP drifts around dreamily, hazily, free tempo-style. I really, really want some Pyramid Song-style drumming to enter halfway into Daydreaming, to lay down that classic rhythmic grid, but it never happens; I suppose it would have been the obvious thing, oh well.

It's not just the rhythm, either. The decision to have Ful Stop fade in and fade out, rather than have a clear beginning and end, is quite strange. Again, it makes the song seem less definite and more hazy, fuzzy-edged. It's weird for a song called Ful Stop to not have a definitive full stop ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

one time someone posted just your posts in a thread in sa mart about beef jerky and you had +/- a dozen posts about something called "fatty jerky." I also remember you being mod who probated/banned people who brought up your love of "fatty jerky." Frankly the whole thing was funny as hell to me. Anyway I'm glad you enjoy the new Radiohead, I do too.