Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

They are holy machines of hard metal, blessed by Toil itself to perform jobs deemed too dangerous for common labourers.

Harst is home to the largest Ironworks in the region, so the Automata there would presumably be constructed to deal with temperatures well over a thousand degrees Celsius.

Yeah, uhh...

No thanks. Let's go with the Yetis instead. They are big and strong like the automata are bound to, but at least they bleed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

Theantero posted:

Yeah, uhh...

No thanks. Let's go with the Yetis instead. They are big and strong like the automata are bound to, but at least they bleed.

We are not supposed to fight them. We are supposed to go there, warn the relevant authorities and leave. If they listen to us good, if not we go a safe distance away and watch the fireworks.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Mr. Nemo posted:

We are not supposed to fight them. We are supposed to go there, warn the relevant authorities and leave. If they listen to us good, if not we go a safe distance away and watch the fireworks.

Fair enough. But if we don't make it, we are basically wasting a couple of weeks.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
A wreacked city is ripe for looting and questing.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Nyaa posted:

A wreacked city is ripe for looting and questing.

But if it is already wrecked, it means we've come too late to oppose the horrible murder-golem uprising.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Are there no churches to Toil closer than we are? Toil couldn't give anyone a bit closer to the issue a warning? Are we really the best people for the job? This stinks of cryptic bullshit.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

If it were any other god we could look for a courier service to get the message to Harst faster, but Toil probably wouldn't appreciate us handing the work off to someone else.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Almost forgot to vote.

RandomPauI posted:

1) God quest
2) God quest
3) Be nice to the dwarf in case we're ever in a position to hire her, she is friends with the mercenary after all.
Hug our owl bears.
Look at our not girlfriend long enough to get caught by her, then blush.

You mean Skvababt, right? Either way, voting for this.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

HBar posted:

Almost forgot to vote.
You mean Skvababt, right? Either way, voting for this.

He means the Gnome inventer with the mercenary we're trying to hire

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are we going to get it on with the obvious self insert kinkfrog or not?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Outrail posted:

I don't kinkshame but I would advise against that. If nothing else, it's unprofessional.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Reasons to not gently caress actual frogs: seeming unprofessional

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

"Sorry, baby. As much as I want to make sweet nectaric embracement with you, it's just... Unprofessional. I wish there is a way to gently cassess your moist frog skin Professionally, but I am not pro enough for that."

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Clearing up some Confusion

Outrail posted:

Are there no churches to Toil closer than we are? Toil couldn't give anyone a bit closer to the issue a warning? Are we really the best people for the job?

HBar posted:

If it were any other god we could look for a courier service to get the message to Harst faster, but Toil probably wouldn't appreciate us handing the work off to someone else.

Indeed there are; the very Ironworks you would be going to doubles as a grand church to Toil, as do most if not all factories of Rim. There is also the small church in Sockne and probably a bunch of others along the way.
As for the other question; good question! Could he? Are you?

Toil is the God of Hard Labour. To engage in his worship is to work together for the greater good, without expecting much or anything in return. His tasks, when given, always serve to safeguard, maintain or improve the Empire in the most efficient way possible.
He does not coddle, but neither does he judge. For Toil, there is simply a task that needs doing, and getting it done.

Outrail posted:

I am flattered, but I am not a frog.

Toughy posted:

He means the Gnome inventer with the mercenary we're trying to hire

To clear it up once and for all:

Axi Meyer is a female Gnome whom is currently 'employed' by the same Monster Hunting Company that Ragnar is. Said company will shortly be dissolving as it has only two members left.
You have a business deal with a Gnomish Alchemist back in Braav, trading monster parts for various chemicals.
The Dwarven Merchant is a Dwarven Merchant Questing Knight for Quackeen. He is asking you to get an iceslime for him.
Skvababt is a female frog currently under ITECs employ.

---

Vision Quest

4: Ever since you visited the desecrated temple of Toil in the Grüwian Silver Mine, something has been gnawing at the back of your mind. A vision, from what you assume was Toil itself.
It informed you of a coming calamity, giving you a very literal deadline as well as directions.

You ponder the how and the why, trying to gather your thoughts and all you can recall of similar incidents.

Fact: Gods intervene in everyday life, some more than others. For some, more than others.
Fact: All the Gods of Rim have different domains, motivations, agendas and modus operandi.
Fact: Toil cares only for getting the job done.
Fact: Toils work is always good for the Empire.
Fact: Harst is home to the largest Ironworks in the region.
Fact: Harst is many days of horse-back travel away.
Fact: Automata are sacred golems crafted for specific, highly dangerous tasks. They are rare and only assigned to the most important of areas within the Empire.

Reasonable Assumption: After having restored the Grüwian Silver Mine Temple, Toil directed you to some work that needs doing.
Reasonable Assumption: You have a very narrow time-frame in which to do it in.
Reasonable Assumption: Your reward will be having done a great service for the Empire.
Reasonable Assumption: For doing this, you will not receive any [wealth].
Reasonable Assumption: People won't think you are crazy if you tell them you received a vision from God. As long as that vision makes sense.
Reasonable Assumption: Your recruits will still want to get paid.

Taking all this into consideration: Is this something you want to do?

F: Yes. We go to Harst at once.

G: Actually, now that I think about it I want to go somewhere else/I want to stay here in Grüw.
Please see question 2.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Would it be more efficient to just pass the information onto the relevant authorities, who can then step in much faster and easier than us? He said we have two weeks before it goes to hell, he didn't say we actually had to go there and personally deal with it?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Fuck yeah we're going on a holy quest.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Nettle Soup posted:

Would it be more efficient to just pass the information onto the relevant authorities, who can then step in much faster and easier than us?

Everywhere you have gone so far, the Imperial Army has been curiously absent. The troubles of both Grüw and Sockne began when the local garrisons where pulled.
You are of course free to do whatever you like, but as far as you know there aren't many other 'free agents' about as it where. The only other relevant authority would be the Imperial Bureaucracy, but your timeframe is somewhat less than a decade.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

F yes

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

F - trying to kill yetis didn't sit right with me anyway.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

F

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Could we expect to find any good buisness opportunities in Harst? Or a way to make profit from preventing the disaster? Or maybe a way to profit from helping cause the disaster?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

G

If I have to be the only person to remind us that we are in this for profit, not for holy works, so be it :colbert:

I bet that all of you are only voting for F because you expect some sort of 'secret' or hidden reward for a mission that is listed as not having a reward. Well, you people better not complain if we get nothing except even more expenses to eat into our already meager savings.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Tell our vision to the errant paladin, maybe he'll join up with us for this

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
F: While the god may not offer a reward, one would expect it is reasonable to assume there will be some opportunity to profit. Whether by a reward from the Imperial Bureaucracy, possible legal salvage from the site or village, or local rewards from communities under threat.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Toughy posted:

I agree.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

Toughy posted:

+1, sure he works for Quackeen (?), which is pretty mch the opposite of Toil, but it can't hurt.

Theantero posted:

G

If I have to be the only person to remind us that we are in this for profit, not for holy works, so be it :colbert:

I bet that all of you are only voting for F because you expect some sort of 'secret' or hidden reward for a mission that is listed as not having a reward. Well, you people better not complain if we get nothing except even more expenses to eat into our already meager savings.

A hidden reward would be nice, but we also get to meet a new city, larger than the ones we've been before.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Paying a messenger to high tail it with a message would be quicker and more efficient, which I'm sure Toil would appreciate.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
F, and tell the Palladian. Also, ask him what Quacken accepts as tokens of appreciation. And if she'd prefer someone giving her a piece of gold now, or someone using it to get more gold in the long run, allowing you to give her more gold then too.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Question Knight

Toughy posted:

The Knight (not yet a Paladin) listens intently to your story, stroking his beard as if in deep thought.

"Oh Aye? Sounds serious, but t'would be if Toil where ta get involved. Still, I don't see a profit in that undertakin, though perhaps if ye should fail there might be a sudden wave of emigration, one that would be in dire need of supplies..."

RandomPauI posted:

Tell the Palladian. Also, ask him what Quacken accepts as tokens of appreciation. And if she'd prefer someone giving her a piece of gold now, or someone using it to get more gold in the long run, allowing you to give her more gold then too.

The Knight (not yet a Paladin) indicates his donkey cart full of bullion with an expensive gesture of his hands.

"Quackeen 'ppreciates trade in all its forms, but most of all the kind that leads to more."

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I thought Quackeen was pro trade? I doubt the amount of profit to be made from refugees buying scraps of bread and tents is comparable to the amount of profit lost to the empire if its most important industrial tools go haywire. Surely it's your duty to Quackeen and the Empire to ensure that the fuel of toils fires remains stoked in order to provide the goods that Quackeen wants to see sold!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Apocron posted:

I thought Quackeen was pro trade? I doubt the amount of profit to be made from refugees buying scraps of bread and tents is comparable to the amount of profit lost to the empire if its most important industrial tools go haywire. Surely it's your duty to Quackeen and the Empire to ensure that the fuel of toils fires remains stoked in order to provide the goods that Quackeen wants to see sold!

"Tis just my personal gain I worry for, you understand. A fortune does not make itself."
"As for Quackeen and the Empire? What better opportunity for trade than constructing a city anew? With the Harstian Ironworks lost, dozens of other factories would have ta step up production to meet quotas, and in turn countless subsidiaries and go-betweens would feel the pressure of increased demand leading to a net increase of prosperity for the Empire. Quackeens Invisible Hand would right the wrongs before long, mark ye my words."

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Stop making emotional appeals to the libertarian dwarf.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Pay some guy with a horse to run over a message and be done with it.

Or better tell the temple of toil what we heard from their God and they can deal with it.

Both of those things are cleverer than a whole team of people walking across half the kingdom.

I'm beginning to thing this toil character is working hard instead of working smart.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Outrail posted:

Pay some guy with a horse to run over a message and be done with it.

Or better tell the temple of toil what we heard from their God and they can deal with it.

If any of these approaches are doable, do these.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Grüw
Month 2, Week 3, Day Six
Late at Night

“Well, right now I'm on a mission from God.” You state matter of factly.
Ragnars eyebrows perk up a bit.

“Really now? And what God would that be?”

You explain to him about your vision, how you believe you met Toil in the mine and what you have learned.

Throughout it all, Ragnar looks at you sceptically.

“Well.” “I'm no follower of Toil, his Great Work satiates neither purse nor fame so I think I'll sit that one out. Still, should you survive and our paths cross once more, maybe there will be opportunity for a more lucrative venture.
Look up Axi in Braav if you return, if she is there of course, she should know whereabouts I'll be.”

The topic of employment drifts away and you spend the rest of the night in merriment.

---

Departure – 13 days remaining.
Grüw
Month 2, Week 3, Day Seven
Early Morning

You spent some time last night chatting with the Dwarven Merchant, learning amongst other things that he was a Questing Knight of Quackeen.
Such people are rare and inspiring, for if their Quest proves successful they will transcend to the rank of Paladin – those undisputed Celebrity Heroes of the Empire. Before you left, he gave you some 'free advice' for the low cost of donating a free drink to the charity that was his mouth.

“Should ye in yer hunts find some treasure rare or precious, what no market stall or peasant could afford; simply bow yer head in prayer, there is always room in Quackeens Store!”

---

Early in the morning you gather your party to venture forth. Abigail is still in her cast, a third of the charms have burned away and she seems perkier than ever. The others are less enthusiastic, nursing hangovers and grudges against owlbears and kobolds both.
Speaking of owlbears, you collect Fluffkin, Snuffkin and Sir Bob – whom you could not part with – and their larder and place it on the wagon. Their soft forms very huggable indeed.

x3

They hoot comfortably in your presence and playfully bite at your fingers when you feed them an apple. You can tell they look up to you, and not only because you are slightly larger and still smell slightly like the signed blood of their biological parents.

---

You have been non-stop hunting for quiet a while now, risking life and limb. Some of your number would probably like to rest and recuperate, although they do not voice such concerns loudly. The biggest thing on their mind right now is probably payday, coming up in a weeks time.
For most of ITECs members; [02 wealth] awaits, and for yourself a very exciting day of accounting. There is more to running a Guild than fighting and winning. Bills must be paid, gear maintained and soldiers trained.
After the healing you received at the hands of the Quackiknight, you are left with a sum of [014 wealth], [013 wealth] of which will be spent at the end of the month leaving you with a net profit of [01 wealth] with which to do with as you please.
Still, for only the second month of operations that is incredibly impressive. Not only are you still alive, so is everybody else and with some money spare to boot!

But now your mind turns to your Vision once again. You have 13 days to make it to Harst, a town, nay, City, what lies three days north-west of Braav. Unloaded, your wagon-train would reach Braav in a week, but you are not unloaded.
You are bringing a cart full of Kobold corpses for leather-working and another for loot obtained in the mine, not to mention the Owlbear Cubs that I already mentioned. Not that their weight is slowing you down; but some care must be taken in their transport.

At your current load travelling to Braav would take a week and a half at least, leaving you with scant few days to reach Harst before calamity strikes. You could always alone, pushing yourself (and your horse) to your limits.
Without your companions you would be at risk for bandits or wandering monsters but this would by far be the fastest way to travel. You could reach Braav in three, maybe four days if you leg it.

There is also the question of who you would like to take with you. You discuss your plans with ITEC and they offer their input.

Konnie: You get the feeling that he would rather spend his coming coin in Braav than risk his life for Toil.
Tommy: Could go either way, but would probably prefer to spend his wages.
Kvelar: Is your nominal second in-command. If anyone is to be left behind, he should probably be with them, to oversee headquarters whilst you are away. Still, he favours Toil and would cherish an opportunity do good for his deity.
Abigail: Would love nothing more than helping you defeat ALL the golems.
Khami: You feel confident that he would follow you to Harst if you asked him.
Johakim: Could go either way. Likes to be with his brothers, but they should be safe off-duty Braav?
Skvababt: Keeps eyeing the corpse-cart and has taken to scribbling down notes and drawing in a slimepaper journal she bought at the Grüwian Market. You reckon she is keen to get started with the tanning process, something she could not do if we came with you to Harst.

---

1: What Speed Ahead?
You have 13 days remaining.

A: Full Speed!
I go alone, taking nothing more than I need and leaving Kvelar in charge of ITEC until I get back. You could make it to Harst in a week, if you really push yourself.

B: Medium Speed!
Take [insert someone here] with you but leave [insert someone here] behind, to guard and navigate the loot-and-corpse-carts back to Braav. You should make it to Harst in ten days if you are lucky.

C: Slow Speed!
Take everyone, don't rush things! You'll make it to Braav in ten days and can calmly re-evaluate from there. Hopefully Harst wont have burned down by the time you get there?

---

2: Who do you take with you?
Even if your intent is to go as fast as possible, taking just one other member with you would drastically increase your chances in a fight. Still, taking most of your recruits is safer and all of them safer still, although you might have a hard time convincing all of them to join you. Any option you choose has its own pros and cons, making this vote hard to nail down options for.

D: Write-in.
Who's coming? Including a short speech or some additional incentive for the more reluctant members wouldn't hurt, either.

---

Bonus Geographical Information:
Grüw is a medium sized mining town and ITECs currently location, high in the mountains. Populated mostly by dwarves, houses a castle and a large church/factory to Toil.
Sockne is a small village at the base of the very same mountain-range, inhabited mostly by halflings. Has a small church to Toil.
Braav is a medium sized trading town, sister town to Feghis, both of them hugging the river Ennui. Both towns are home to all manner of species, with humans in the minority. Braav has a market-church dedicated to Quackeen.
Tukatt Hold is your old Mountainhome. Medium-sized, populated mostly by dwarves. It serves as as a bastion guarding the lonesome river and the valley into which it flows. Worship is divided amongst all the Gods.
Harst is the second largest city in the region, housing a Grand Chapel to Toil in the form of its famous Ironworks. You don't know much else about it.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

B. Pay them their wage now and take anyone who wants to come with me.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

1. B
2. Volunteers only.

Pay out wages now, tell the ones going to Braav that we'll see them in a couple weeks. If Kvelar wants to go on the quest for Toil as we suspect, appoint Johakim to hold down the fort. As a doctor of sorts he's at least somewhat educated, and having two brothers as co-workers he's got incentive to keep things together.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Nyaa posted:

Voting this

We'll be gone when it's time to pay them, so paying them up front is ok with me. Looks like we lost Ragnar's attention with our Blues Brothers "on a mission from GOD!" act. :(

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

Tran posted:

1. B
2. Volunteers only.

Pay out wages now, tell the ones going to Braav that we'll see them in a couple weeks. If Kvelar wants to go on the quest for Toil as we suspect, appoint Johakim to hold down the fort. As a doctor of sorts he's at least somewhat educated, and having two brothers as co-workers he's got incentive to keep things together.

This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Nyaa posted:

Tran posted:

2. Volunteers only.

Other: Tell the Factory of Toil before leaving, ask if they have any faster communication methods..