Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I've come to know them as worthless and despicable.

Kaidan is easily the strongest squadmate, and has few if any actual beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

sassassin posted:

Kaidan is easily the strongest squadmate, and has few if any actual beliefs.

To be fair he gets majorly creepy toward the end.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sombrerotron posted:

Well, in all fairness, there's a difference between wanting two individuals to die for their views and actions, and wanting an entire species to perish for its general (perceived) characteristics.

Then again, before ME3 came out everyone was clamouring for batarian megadeath.

Well their entire culture revolves around slavery and they view humans as ideal slaves.... So....

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I felt bad for the Batarians after ME3 though. :(

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I feel bad about not being able to personally kill them all before the Reapers got there first.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Batarians basically being eliminated from the universe without rhyme or reason was a pretty poor choice IMO.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Batarians are interesting jerks.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Coughing Hobo posted:

I feel bad about not being able to personally kill them all before the Reapers got there first.

You're arguably responsible for the death of 100,000-1,000,000 of them?

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The fact that people want to kill all batarians yet love krogan despite them being just as bad or demonstrably worse will never stop amusing me

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If Wrex taught us anything, the way to fix this is by finding one chill batarian and engineering his ascendancy to the top of Batarian government leadership.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Milky Moor posted:

The Batarians basically being eliminated from the universe without rhyme or reason was a pretty poor choice IMO.

The batarians never getting any kind of face turn was just weird to be honest and having one race just be irredeemable arseholes doesn't fit at all with ME1 or ME2.

Before ME3 came out, when we all thought the trial at the beginning was going to be a bigger deal, I honestly thought there was going to be a scene where a batarian ruler walks in all threatening and imposing to press charges then surprises the court by saying "Yeah our intel says the Reapers are real and we're about to have an extinction war, Shepard is off the hook so they can help fight, here's a batarian squadmate to humanise the race like all the other races got".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Vitamin P posted:

The batarians never getting any kind of face turn was just weird to be honest and having one race just be irredeemable arseholes doesn't fit at all with ME1 or ME2.

Before ME3 came out, when we all thought the trial at the beginning was going to be a bigger deal, I honestly thought there was going to be a scene where a batarian ruler walks in all threatening and imposing to press charges then surprises the court by saying "Yeah our intel says the Reapers are real and we're about to have an extinction war, Shepard is off the hook so they can help fight, here's a batarian squadmate to humanise the race like all the other races got".

They basically existed to be space terrorists or be killed en masse. It's kind of disgusting when you think about it. I mean, we never even met a female batarian. ME3 could have had you go into batarian space to bring them on side for the fight but, nope, they're just awkwardly shoved off-stage.

In some ways, ME3 is kind of lucky that the ending was just that bad because it helped overshadow a lot of other issues the plot had.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It think it's a shame that the Batarian head design ended with relatively human proportions, their pre-Bring Down the Sky design was much more interesting.

This was the Batarian image in the Codex before the DLC came out.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Milky Moor posted:

They basically existed to be space terrorists or be killed en masse. It's kind of disgusting when you think about it. I mean, we never even met a female batarian. ME3 could have had you go into batarian space to bring them on side for the fight but, nope, they're just awkwardly shoved off-stage.

In some ways, ME3 is kind of lucky that the ending was just that bad because it helped overshadow a lot of other issues the plot had.

True. ME3 had terrible writing all around, but the endings were so awful that almost everything else was overlook. Once Bioware made them barely acceptable (at least, to people dumb enough to swallow the premise), they were off the hook.

I also wish that ME3 had a Batarian Sentinel squadmate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Milky Moor posted:

They basically existed to be space terrorists or be killed en masse. It's kind of disgusting when you think about it. I mean, we never even met a female batarian.
Or did you?

Unfortunately the only times Batarians are depicted in a good light is showing them in a sympathetic light, as victims trying to hold onto their culture. The side-mission to recover the Pillars of Strength, and an off-hand comment someone makes that Batarians are a lot more agreeable without the Batarian Hegemony policing them. They seem analogous to the Klingons from the original Star Trek series.

Then there are the vorcha, who are just space trash.

Geostomp posted:

True. ME3 had terrible writing all around, but the endings were so awful that almost everything else was overlook. Once Bioware made them barely acceptable (at least, to people dumb enough to swallow the premise), they were off the hook.
I'm late to the party so what were the general criticisms of ME3's writing outside of the ending?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm late to the party so what were the general criticisms of ME3's writing outside of the ending?

It had its moments but there's a lot of stuff that barely holds together on reflection

the entire ME3 intro is a huge mess with a lot of straight-up nonsense. the original idea for a trial would have been a big help, I think -- both in terms of pacing and getting new and old players up to speed.

instead they went for a big ol' cinematic city destruction, which was, uh, a bad idea

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
OMG THE REAPERS ARE HERE NOW ACTIVELY GLASSING THE PLANET so feel free to go road trip, collect all your space bros, go hareing off after archaeological artifacts that give a plus 1 to morale, bang your embedded reporter, whatevs. The reapers'll wait.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also you have no idea the Reapers are going to swipe the Crucible and put it on Earth. You're just romping around the Galaxy and trying to get all the other races with big fleets to abandon their home planets to go fight on Earth, even though the Reapers are literally attacking everywhere at once.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Shepard does not in fact ask anyone to abandon their planet to save Earth.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Leaving Earth/Palaven to rally the fleets didn't seem implausible to me, instead of getting bogged down in losing ground wars there. As for recruiting space bros and recovering artifacts, that seems like something you're mainly doing on the way to other stuff, even if the mechanics don't force you to play it that way. And recruitment isn't set up like ME2 where recruiting team members is a priority mission in and of itself.

The main thing that stuck in my craw was building the Catalyst without ever having any idea whatsoever what it does. Like, at least toss me a meatier bone than "it manipulates lots of energy...to do what we have no idea."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Halloween Jack posted:

It's really bad apart from the ending which was originally good in places.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Milky Moor posted:

They basically existed to be space terrorists or be killed en masse. It's kind of disgusting when you think about it. I mean, we never even met a female batarian.

Look at these goons who need to see all four tits on a batarian to figure out if it is a lady. :v:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
people complain that we didn't see a female turian until ME3's Omega DLC, and yet Saren was staring them in the face all along

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'm actually disappointed they didn't just say that Turian men and women are pretty much indistinguishable from each other to a human eye. I mean, that's basically what they did with the Salarians, and with them there was actually a reason in the codex why there weren't any women around.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
And then reveal Garrus is a woman.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Or maybe, being barred from a quick entry thanks to the events of Arrival, they have to come in the old fashioned way. They hit the edge of the galaxy. Remote stations or colonies start going dark. Certain relays, ships go through, nothing comes back. But STILL, nobody believes in these :airquote: Reapers :airquote: that Shepard keeps going on about. Shep is in chains, on trial for blowing up a relay. Just as Shep is about to be declared guilty, a lone ship, blown to poo poo, bleeding atmosphere, pops back through one of the relays, and begins frantically transmitting sensor records.

Take it from there. The Reapers are a crawling horror, slowing rolling over the galaxy. This puts a time pressure on, BUT still gives Shep time to roll around doing things. Put in some hard choices with no right answers. Which flank to shore up? Which colony to rescue an important asset from? You have time for ONE. Put in some real god-drat consequences. Make sure there is ZERO golden path. Cerberus turns at some point. There's advance Reaper mini-fleets flying ahead of the main horde to strike vital targets, scoop up the Ardat-Yakshi to make banshees, whatever.

The council goes nuts. The Turian councellor tracks Shep down, apologizes, and says that he's shipping out with a front-line unit. The Salarian councellor is flipping out because Salarian space happens to be in the way. Shep, you're the ONLY person who even remotely has a clue. What do, brah?

Make the Crucible a super weapon, sure. The plans are scattered around the galaxy in ancient time capsules from the Prothean era, like what Liara is putting together. You're bopping around the galaxy looking for them, as well as rebuilding your team. You start to find time capsules from even older cycles, now that you know what to look for. You start to piece together the real history of the reapers.

Meanwhile, Cerberus salvaged Sovereign's brain, after ME1, and it's been slowly indoctrinating TIM the whole time. The Asari are being all coy because of their Prothean artifacts all squirrled away. The Quarian fleet is having an internal power struggle between a faction that wants to improve Quarian standing in the galaxy by helping, a faction that wants to exploit the chaos to retake Rannoch, and a faction that wants to use their mobility to keep the frack away from the Reapers. The Geth send an emissary, because they don't want to become reaper-chow either. The Krogran want to make babies, and offer to fight in exchange for the Genophage cure. Mordin is worried that his new musical's opening night will be ruined.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Pattonesque posted:

It had its moments but there's a lot of stuff that barely holds together on reflection

the entire ME3 intro is a huge mess with a lot of straight-up nonsense. the original idea for a trial would have been a big help, I think -- both in terms of pacing and getting new and old players up to speed.

instead they went for a big ol' cinematic city destruction, which was, uh, a bad idea

The series was a victim of it's own success. EA wanted it more accessible for people that didn't play the first two. (and probably rushed it out the door to meet deadlines.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'd be happy to see a ME game which sacrificed a story to emphasize a variety of playstyles and squad based options a la the ME3 multiplayer, couple with the kingdom-building stuff they're promising us in Andromeda.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish there was a female batarian...so I could space gently caress her.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I'd be happy to see a ME game which sacrificed a story to emphasize a variety of playstyles and squad based options a la the ME3 multiplayer, couple with the kingdom-building stuff they're promising us in Andromeda.

Ya. This but with some kind of frame narrative would be the best, but it's gonna be another linear Chosen One story

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Waltzing Along posted:

Don't be so crass.

It's "solving their daddy problems with you magical space weiner."

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Halloween Jack posted:

Start from here for just ME3. Or just read the whole thing.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Waltzing Along posted:

Bioware Writer nods knowingly.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Trast posted:

Bioware Writer nods knowingly.
But what does their sweat taste like?!

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Noooooo.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Halloween Jack posted:

Basically, everything that was set up in ME1, excepting Wrex and Tali's subplots, was thrown out for no good reason, and because your choices are taken away and you're shoehorned into doing what the writer wants you to do, because the writer thinks he's the best ever. So you get scenes where you can't do something really really obvious, like this:

Honestly, by comparison with what came before, the ending wasn't even that bad, it's just the scapegoat for the whole series going off the rails with the opening scene for ME2. (like how Jar-Jar is to blame for the prequels)

The writer(s) of all the sections but Rannoch and Tuchanka (and maybe Palaven) were up their own rear end about their awesome part of the story and didn't bother trying to figure out how to make it fit with the rest of the story, so in general ME3 (and ME2) are just convoluted set pieces for action sequences and illogical and out-of-place but obviously perfect Mary-Sue villains expositing during uninterruptable cut-scenes, like TIM, or Kai Leng.

I just spent way too much time doing this. I didn't realize it was the same guy who did the Elder Scrolls series, including blasting the Skyrim Thieves Guild quest.

quote:

It’s shocking that this character design was even proposed, much less modeled, written, voice acted, scripted, and put into a real AAA videogame. He’s the antithesis of the BioWare style of storytelling. He doesn’t fit in this universe, this genre of videogame, or this genre of fiction.

I’d rather sit through the ending a dozen times than watch one Kai Leng cutscene again.

quote:

Once you drain his shields three times, you win. And by “win” I mean the writer takes control away from you again and makes you lose. Kai grabs Liara and throws her into your third teammate and they both fly out of frame. As far as the writer is concerned, this means they have traveled to another dimension and can no longer contribute to the fight.

quote:

Kai is only a couple of steps away, but he’s strutting confidently. The crumbling floor doesn’t apply to him. He’s not worried about falling in because he’s the writer and he made that abyss just for you. You can cling to the ledge just long enough to see his dramatic exit and listen to his one-liners. You don’t get any dialog, because the writer doesn’t want to hear your voice while he’s busy jerking off in your face. Loser.

At least ME3 has awesome Multiplayer.

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

Reading this was almost as fun as playing me2

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Guys stop trolling!!

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Real excited for the new game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://youtu.be/HinsGPuqIDg

• Locked thread