Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

oldpainless posted:

Scott putski. Jesus do u know anything about wrestling?!?!
Norton and Riggs left WCW after Putski joined, so WCW in fact had 6 Scotts on the roster at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Kronik were Bryan and Brian.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
In addition to Morrison and Cena, there was also John Bradshaw Layfield and John Laurenitis. I'm not sure of all four overlapped though.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

WCW had a Sean (O'Haire) and a Shawn (Stasiak) in the same stable.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Germansimp posted:

As for recently, WWE has now had two Big's (Show and E) for multiple years already.

3 now: Show, E, and Cass.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
"Chris'" wtf?!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

WCW had a Sean (O'Haire) and a Shawn (Stasiak) in the same stable.

Sean was just a nickname though.

His Christian name was Perfectsean.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The Croc posted:

Teddy long vs Ghosts always made me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EajuQERlWJg

Dear lord, was there ever a conclusion to this? (Also did any of the guys in the video ever have kayfabe team-ups for real, or did the guy just pick the most ridiculous assortment?)

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011
Well, Kofi and Punk were tag champs once, but that's about it. Helms was gone before both of them came in, wasn't he?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

rotinaj posted:

Lift Sawyer sounds like the protagonist in a bargain basement 80s sci-fi flick, not an athlete.

Fine, fine. The Modern Day Warrior, Lift Sawyer.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

No, Who was Jim Neidhart, not Scott Armstrong. Who didn't even wrestle in WCW.

He did so.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
Oh, he definitely did, but Who didn't.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

FunMerrania posted:

e: on a serious note, is there a wrestling school known for being the absolute worse?

Probably a tie between Moola's and Zandig's. Moolah because she was basically running a brothel disguised as a wrestling school, Zandig because who the gently caress has Zandig/CZW trained that didn't suck rear end?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Probably a tie between Moola's and Zandig's. Moolah because she was basically running a brothel disguised as a wrestling school, Zandig because who the gently caress has Zandig/CZW trained that didn't suck rear end?

Adam Cole, lots of other guys.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

natetimm posted:

WCW Powerplant has to be up there in the worst.

Wasn't Powerplant training basically just constant hazing and cardio?

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I got back into wrestling nearly a year after CM Punk left and a couple months after AJ Lee left. I missed their whole careers, and although I've watched a couple of Punk's more famous matches, it's hard to me to gauge their legacies as wrestlers/entertainers. Obviously, CM Punk chants still happen on shows, and I feel like there's some major angle to the current product that I'm missing.

Thanks to the how2wrestling podcast, I have a good amount of background on other Important Things I missed like Cena's rise, the Shield, and Daniel Bryan, but the podcast hasn't covered Punk or Lee yet, so I want to study up on them. To get started, I just listened to the two Colt Cabana interviews and I watched a couple of the "pipebomb" promos (how the hell did those get that name?), and so I understand a little bit about Punk's character.

I'd love to get descriptions of Punk/Lee's characters, your assessments of how they stacked up against their competition at the time and how they compare to the talent on the roster now. Both seem like they were big stars, but right now, we've got incredibly talented folks like AJ Styles and Sasha Banks on the roster. Were they considered the best around during their time? Would they still be at that level now, or would they be more in the upper-midcard range? Were they overrated?

Basically, please help me put them in context in terms of their importance and talent, thank you.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
The Big Show and The Ryback

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Punk was the Savage to Cena's Hogan. He could have easily carried the company as the main star if given the chance because he was great in the ring, dynamite on the mic, and a strong merch mover. He was so run down by the end of his career and even then he had two MOTY candidates with Taker and Brock.

It's hard to think of a situation in WWE that Punk didn't make work. He was a fresh-faced kid all about competition, a self-righteous rear end in a top hat, a cult leader, an anti-authority mouthpiece for every disgruntled fan, Paul Heyman's jilted best friend. All of it flowed and made sense because Punk absolutely knew his character and made drat sure that we knew that he was the best in the world.

If you want to talk importance and legacy, I have no qualms about saying that Punk will go down in history as one of the best promos of all time. Dude was unreal when given a mic and freedom.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Also, don't use How2Wrestling to fill in knowledge gaps without a companion piece (i.e. Wikipedia) because Kefin actually doesn't know much and poo poo goes off the rails pretty hard sometimes.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

"pipebomb" came from one of punk's promo where he described the power of his words and said that a microphone is like a pipebomb in his hands because he's dangerous when they let him speak his mind or w/e

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

MotU posted:

The Big Show and The Ryback

The Miz. :colbert:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Memento posted:

Wasn't Powerplant training basically just constant hazing and cardio?

Their graduate list is less than impressive and includes David Flair. There are a few OK guys on there, but realistically for the time and money they were spending they weren't getting a good result. If you pressed me, I would probably pick Kanyon as their best home-grown star. Goldberg was obviously the most successful, but a lot of that was booking and look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCW_Power_Plant

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

natetimm posted:

Their graduate list is less than impressive and includes David Flair. There are a few OK guys on there, but realistically for the time and money they were spending they weren't getting a good result. If you pressed me, I would probably pick Kanyon as their best home-grown star. Goldberg was obviously the most successful, but a lot of that was booking and look.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WCW_Power_Plant

Goldberg was all about the charisma. Incredible, intense, physical charisma.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MassRafTer posted:

Goldberg was all about the charisma. Incredible, intense, physical charisma.

Yeah, almost all look. Not really a good promo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Mean Gene: Goldberg, I think the question on everybody's mind isn't "Who's next", it's "Who's left?"

Goldberg: No, the question on everybody's mind isn't "Who's left", it's "Who's next?"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

El Estrago Bonito posted:

If you're bringing in Moolah then it's not far from her to the various "wrestling schools" that were just "we take your money and then beat you up until you don't want to wrestle anymore."

I think the better question would be what *good* wrestling schools have there been.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
I remember an interview with Bob Sapp where he talked about how he was training at the Power Plant when it closed down. So there were definitely some interesting folks there.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Maxwell Lord posted:

If you're bringing in Moolah then it's not far from her to the various "wrestling schools" that were just "we take your money and then beat you up until you don't want to wrestle anymore."

I think the better question would be what *good* wrestling schools have there been.

For all of Lance Storm's insanity, (libraries are theft, cancer research is bad, fun is worse), his school seems to be run along the right lines. I dunno how many famous people have come out of there though. Emma is one that I know of.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Also, don't use How2Wrestling to fill in knowledge gaps without a companion piece (i.e. Wikipedia) because Kefin actually doesn't know much and poo poo goes off the rails pretty hard sometimes.

This really can't be said enough. He literally just speculates or makes poo poo up all the time, and never even bothers to fact check. The whole show is a semi-educated wrestling fan basically making up fan fiction from things he half remembers for someone who's new to wrestling.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Who the hell is lift sawyer? That's the worst wrestling name I've ever heard, goddamn

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Lucky Cannon?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Noctis Caelum

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Shavem Teeters

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

What was the general reaction to Mark Henry winning the WHC from Randy Orton? How was the Hall of Pain overall received by people

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ostentatious posted:

What was the general reaction to Mark Henry winning the WHC from Randy Orton? How was the Hall of Pain overall received by people

I was in and out during that period but I think he was generally viewed as very entertaining even if the matches mostly sucked, and regardless still way better than Orton at being whc

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think most people liked it but mark surprisingly got injured 6 times in 5 months and plans changed.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Ostentatious posted:

I wasn't watching wrestling at the time, but Mark Henry is loving cool and I approve of him slamming people and killing them.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

MassRafTer posted:

Adam Cole, lots of other guys.

Yeah looking into it more I guess you'd have to make a division of people trained pre-, like, 2004 or so. IDK it just seems like every time I look up some random garbage Hardcore wrestler from the early 00's half of them were trained by Zandig. So I guess it's fair to say CZW has trained some good guys, but maybe Zandig is bad.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think in this case Moolah counts because she wasn't running some school in a strip mall in the rust belt, industry professionals were funneling people to her and her school was seen as a place where professional organizations could scout talent.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jason Sextro posted:

Who the hell is lift sawyer? That's the worst wrestling name I've ever heard, goddamn

some developmental FCW guy who had 2 taped matches and I don't think anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

BrigadierSensible posted:

For all of Lance Storm's insanity, (libraries are theft, cancer research is bad, fun is worse), his school seems to be run along the right lines. I dunno how many famous people have come out of there though. Emma is one that I know of.
Isnt Santino Marella's MMA/wrestling school known to be really good?