Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Stabbatical posted:

I thought that he just got tangled up in some phone chords and decided to roll with it until he found a way out.

Who knew that Davros and the Doctor were so similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CobiWann posted:

Add a Hefty bag or two and this is spot freakin' on.

Which part? :shobon:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Stabbatical posted:

To be honest, I have mixed thoughts about that reveal for Davros. It was fun to see at the time but it gave too much away. It led me to ask immersion-breaking questions, like why didn't he die right there, why doesn't he get robot or clone legs, why bother with the torso at all?

(The answers of course being it's just TV and changing Davros in any substantial way would rock the boat too much.)

Well, most of those questions would have remained if we'd found out that he had non-functional legs down there. The thing is that now that you have an answer to 'what's Davros got down there', you're now capable of asking those questions, the groundwork now exists. Whether or nt that's really adding anything to know is subjective.

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal. It's low on the list of unwanted answers to unasked questions--hell, it's not even the worst in that story.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which part? :shobon:

Either to Davros or to the severed limbs of Michael Grade before throwing the entire mess into a quarry.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CobiWann posted:

I completely agree. I’m enjoying the Big Finish Torchwood a HELL of a lot more than the television series. It really handles the “mature” nature of Torchwood with respect and thoughtful moments, as opposed to “Mature themes? BRING IN THE SEX GAS!”

Seriously, TARDIS wiki has a page for “Sex Gas.”

And yeah, I can’t imagine it either…

Pre 2010 Me – You’re going to LOVE audios.
Pre 2012 Me – Remember how you always planned to die childless and alone, God willing?
Pre 2014 Me – Remember when you said there’s no way Donald Trump could beat a field of highly experienced and electable governors?
Pre 2015 Me – Remember when you said Roman Reigns wouldn’t be the breakout star from the Shield?
Pre 2017 Me – Who would have thought Billie Piper would win an Emmy for Penny Dreadful?
Pre 2020 Me – Swansea City AFC winning the Premier League. Who knew?

(And yay for being comfortable and happy!)

Wookieepedia had a page about breasts.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

TinTower posted:

Wookieepedia had a page about breasts.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jizz

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Me, I'm all about jizz. Cool jizz, hot jizz, smooth jizz, acid jizz, the lot. Great music for swingers, so it is.

But seriously, Wookieepedia has a page for bacon. It's got a page for one guy who I'm pretty sure is in maybe half-a-dozen frames of The Empire Strike Back. It has a take-off of the TFWiki "Ruined Forever" page which is legitimately funny, but shunts it off into an "essay" section nobody will ever read, presumably so it doesn't confound the academic integrity of this bespoke Star Wars fan-site.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
iirc wookieepedia has a page for "eyes" and a list of Star Wars stories with eyes in them which was surprisingly short

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Stabbatical posted:

To be honest, I have mixed thoughts about that reveal for Davros. It was fun to see at the time but it gave too much away. It led me to ask immersion-breaking questions, like why didn't he die right there, why doesn't he get robot or clone legs, why bother with the torso at all?

(The answers of course being it's just TV and changing Davros in any substantial way would rock the boat too much.)

The chair is a simple, visual summary for Davros as a character - survival is all that matters, anything specific to his physical form is purely superfluous. At best, he presents a reminder of how close we ourselves are to the Daleks, and how they are the end result of an "at any cost" line of thinking. It would be both out of character and run counter to the central themes if he were to take any step (ha!) to become more like us.

For example, the scene of the Doctor threatening Davors by loving with the life support controls on his chair in Genesis resonates thematically and is going to last. Davros flopping around on the floor in Witch's Familiar is a cheap gag that will be forgotten.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Me, I'm all about jizz. Cool jizz, hot jizz, smooth jizz, acid jizz, the lot. Great music for swingers, so it is.

You and I have a very different definition of the word "swingers."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

After The War posted:

The chair is a simple, visual summary for Davros as a character - survival is all that matters, anything specific to his physical form is purely superfluous. At best, he presents a reminder of how close we ourselves are to the Daleks, and how they are the end result of an "at any cost" line of thinking. It would be both out of character and run counter to the central themes if he were to take any step (ha!) to become more like us.

For example, the scene of the Doctor threatening Davors by loving with the life support controls on his chair in Genesis resonates thematically and is going to last. Davros flopping around on the floor in Witch's Familiar is a cheap gag that will be forgotten.

Yeah, it's too much of a change but I'd love to see him try to clone or fix his body so he's an old school pre-accident Kaled. I thought they were going there when they were talking about "regenerating" him but I guess it's beyond the pale. Same thing with Curse of Davros from Big Finish, I really thought the endgame would be to get him in a new body. :shrug:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

CobiWann posted:

You and I have a very different definition of the word "swingers."

No it seems legit

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Remembering the Who fans that existed in the Wilderness years, both are indeed legit.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Do you want a whole bunch of Paul McGann? Because you're going to get a whole bunch of Paul McGann!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-eighth-doctor---20th-anniversary-special-offers

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

Do you want a whole bunch of Paul McGann? Because you're going to get a whole bunch of Paul McGann!

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-eighth-doctor---20th-anniversary-special-offers

Was hoping this was an announcement of new stories...but a hella sale is okay with me too!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

jivjov posted:

Was hoping this was an announcement of new stories...but a hella sale is okay with me too!

I now own every Big Finish production Paul McGann has been in save for The Four Doctors and the vinyl version of The Chimes of Midnight.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Doom Coalition 3 out in October!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

I now own every Big Finish production Paul McGann has been in save for The Four Doctors and the vinyl version of The Chimes of Midnight.

There's a certain :ninja: McGann cameo in one other Doctor's story... but I won't spoil which one, because you too should have the chance to terrify the stranger next to you with your reaction. Made that international flight more interesting!

Guess you'll just have to get them all.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

You know I just found out that the next EDA I listen to is a quasi-sequel to An Earthly Child, which was released as a bonus story and not part of the monthly range. How annoying, I thought, what are the chances it gets thrown up at a discount in the next day or two.

And just like the 8th Doctor's theme tune, Nick Briggs decided to just throw in EVERYTHING :stare:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Jerusalem posted:

from his first appearance the guy has clearly being chewed up and spit out by life and he's still clinging bitterly and jealously to life, and he imbues his creations with that same indomitable will to spit in the face of fate and say,"gently caress you I refuse to die, my HATE will keep me going."

This is a remarkably similar description of one of my professors in my grad school programme who also bore a striking resemblance to Davros, especially if you put him in an olde schoole bowtie (I graduated in 1996; he is still there, and now in his mid 90s. )

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

You know I just found out that the next EDA I listen to is a quasi-sequel to An Earthly Child, which was released as a bonus story and not part of the monthly range. How annoying, I thought, what are the chances it gets thrown up at a discount in the next day or two.

And just like the 8th Doctor's theme tune, Nick Briggs decided to just throw in EVERYTHING :stare:

Quit messing with the underlying fundamental universal concepts of reality!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
And 8th doctor: Time War in late 2017!!!!!!

There's also a free episode featuring everyone's favourite nazi Klein, 7th Doctor and McGann's mystery character called:Johann Schmidt.
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/klein-s-story-eighth-doctor-20th-anniversary-offer-1502?range=112

edit: So good!

Issaries fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 12, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Welp, bought the other three Dark Eyes stories and both Doom Coalitions, because why the hell not!?!

I am NEVER going to get through the monthly range :laugh:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

CobiWann posted:

Was tempted to grab all the Dark Eyes sets but I'm still only half way through the Eighth Doctor Adventures yet, and at the slow pace I get through those (not to mention the glut of main range stuff I'm still dragging my feet on listening to (and the Tennant set coming out next week!)) it feels like they'll probably be on sale again by the time I'm actually ready for them.

Suppose I might use this as an excuse to grab the Diary of River Song, even though it's only been knocked back a few dollars to its preorder price.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

adhuin posted:

And 8th doctor: Time War in late 2017!!!!!!

There's also a free episode featuring everyone's favourite nazi Klein, 7th Doctor and McGann's mystery character called:Johann Schmidt.
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/klein-s-story-eighth-doctor-20th-anniversary-offer-1502?range=112

edit: So good!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!

Everyone shut up and listen it right now!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

Suppose I might use this as an excuse to grab the Diary of River Song, even though it's only been knocked back a few dollars to its preorder price.

The River Song stuff is really good. I highly recommend it.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Welp, bought the other three Dark Eyes stories and both Doom Coalitions, because why the hell not!?!

I am NEVER going to get through the monthly range :laugh:

You're telling me. I still have the Companion Chronicles AND Tom Baker's range staring me in the face.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CobiWann posted:

You're telling me. I still have the Companion Chronicles AND Tom Baker's range staring me in the face.

I'm glad I started in 1999

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh man, I'm way behind. I've got most of the Lucie Miller EDAs to do, all the War Doctor stuff, the Diary of River Song... I don't generally bother with the monthly releases at all, so that's less of a bother, although the NA adaptations have got my attention.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, I'm way behind. I've got most of the Lucie Miller EDAs to do, all the War Doctor stuff, the Diary of River Song... I don't generally bother with the monthly releases at all, so that's less of a bother, although the NA adaptations have got my attention.

I know! And my wife is also hounding me to listen to this famous podcast from yeah, but it doesn't interest me. I mean, when has ANYTHING bad ever happened in a Best Buy parking lot?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I know! And my wife is also hounding me to listen to this famous podcast from yeah, but it doesn't interest me. I mean, when has ANYTHING bad ever happened in a Best Buy parking lot?

I've had the first episode of that on my iphone for the longest time. But I just discovered that Kevin Smith is doing a Frasier podcast!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CobiWann posted:

I suppose you could use that as a buffer between listening to BF releases, but that's really what Welcome To Night Vale is for.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

After The War posted:

I suppose you could use that as a buffer between listening to BF releases, but that's really what Welcome To Night Vale is for.

What's "Welcome to Night Vale?"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Doctor posted:

It blew my mind when I found out that the inspiration for the Neon Genesis Evangelion opening titles was Anderson's UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZfeY8Vg0E

Gerry Anderson's stuff is really big in Japan. A couple of sci-fi anime series drew inspiration from things like Thunderbirds (I know there's a notable one that's openly stated as much, but I can't remember what it was at the moment), and Patlabor parodies Captain Scarlet for an episode.

The episode also features Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition. I am not making this up.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

It blew my mind when I found out that the inspiration for the Neon Genesis Evangelion opening titles was Anderson's UFO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CvURidpkCY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYZfeY8Vg0E

I don't see it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

What's "Welcome to Night Vale?"

Something there's a decent chance you'll enjoy (though I've cooled on it recently, I still think it's well written, acted and produced).

Edit: just listen to a couple, it's better to go in as cold as possible I think.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Something there's a decent chance you'll enjoy (though I've cooled on it recently, I still think it's well written, acted and produced).

Edit: just listen to a couple, it's better to go in as cold as possible I think.

I've gotten tired of the pat endings that come after the weather. "Everything was fine after all. We all survived it, and we were all changed for the better. These people, our friends, family, loved ones, are all fine, and we didn't need to be afraid of it." etc etc.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

:aaaaa: A big Paul McGann sale? I can probably afford a few more audio books. I figure The Faith Stealer and The Silver Turk would be good picks. I haven't listened to anything past Scherzo. What do you folks suggest? Maybe The Natural History of Fear to keep some semblance of chronology?

The_Doctor posted:

I've gotten tired of the pat endings that come after the weather. "Everything was fine after all. We all survived it, and we were all changed for the better. These people, our friends, family, loved ones, are all fine, and we didn't need to be afraid of it." etc etc.

Yeah, Night Vale gets pretty formulaic after a while, but I guess that's kind of bound to happen once the basic structure has become so well established. I like the recent Alice isn't Dead stuff, though. It's a nice change of pace.

And More fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dabir posted:

I don't see it.

It's the flashing words and head shots. The mysticism and other 90's anime stylings were obviously not directly lifted.

• Locked thread