Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Louisgod posted:

I never realized that True Love Waits was a jigsaw piece made years ago for a puzzle that hadn't been created yet. It's the perfect corner piece that completes a gorgeous picture.

Almost like a jigsaw...falling into place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CaptainYesterday posted:

Almost like a jigsaw...falling into place.

You've activated my trap card!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I was off on Pitchfork's review by .2.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
I'm annoyed with myself on how much it pleased me to see that number on pitchfork. The review itself is pitchfork.txt but also interesting. I hope thom yorke has stuck to his guns over the years about not reading reviews though because boy howdy are people making hay out of his breakup.

talktapes
Apr 14, 2007

You ever hear of the neutron bomb?

That reminded me of the HttT review where it spent half the article talking about how Thom Yorke got punched in the face once.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
A song title like “Glass Eyes” hints at many of the band’s longstanding morbid preoccupations—the semblance of humanity in something cold and dead, or the violation of the biological body by foreign objects— but the song is a bloodflow of strings straight into the heart. “Hey it’s me, I just got off the train,” Yorke sings, and it’s a strikingly ordinary image: The Paranoid Android himself, picking up the phone and calling someone to tell them he’s just arrived. “I feel this love turn cold,” he confesses as the ballad draws to a close, the phrasing an echo, subconscious or not, of his Kid A sign-off “I’ll see you in the next life.” A throbbing cello appears like a lump in the throat; the song fades away.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

“I’m not living/I’m just killing time,” the 47-year-old admits. You can write a line like that and set it to music; you can perform it for years in front of adoring millions; you can carry the idea around in your heart and mind. But it might take a lifetime for it to strike, as it does here, with a newfound power. The truth, as always, lies in plain sight, right there in the kicking and the squealing, the panic and the vomit. Some truths just take longer to see than others.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

That review...yuck

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Decades posted:

E: Oh also, the best part of early rushed album reviews are the misheard lyrics. The Independent went with "Low Fi Banker Tax" even though low flying panic attack has been common knowledge for a week now, while the other Independent (Ireland) shat on Identikit because they thought the chorus was "Move Your Arse / Make It Rain", conjuring the imagine of Thom in a pub standing on the bar in a fur coat throwing 20 pound notes at people. Now that's what I call journalism.

I also call it journalism - critical journalism. It is a brilliant, scathing critique of Yorke's diction. :colbert: They will continue to publish absurd misheard lyrics until Yorke starts to a) sing clearly or b) publishes all his lyrics. Ask Michael Stipe.

I like the album. I like HttT and The Bends best and although I like a few tracks on Kid A and Amnesiac, I listen to those least because they are hard work and not very rewarding. I thought In Rainbows was pretty decent but TKoL was unfinished.

I'm bummed that I will have to wait until mid-June to get the CD. I know physical media would probably have led to leaks so that was why they held that back but six weeks....seriously?

If you are in the UK you can hear the full album played on Radio 6 here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tk6ll

Don't know if this link will work for non-UK listeners.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If you live in the UK you can hear the full album anytime and place you want. Same outwith the UK.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I also call it journalism - critical journalism. It is a brilliant, scathing critique of Yorke's diction. :colbert: They will continue to publish absurd misheard lyrics until Yorke starts to a) sing clearly or b) publishes all his lyrics. Ask Michael Stipe.

I like the album. I like HttT and The Bends best and although I like a few tracks on Kid A and Amnesiac, I listen to those least because they are hard work and not very rewarding. I thought In Rainbows was pretty decent but TKoL was unfinished.

I'm bummed that I will have to wait until mid-June to get the CD. I know physical media would probably have led to leaks so that was why they held that back but six weeks....seriously?

If you are in the UK you can hear the full album played on Radio 6 here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03tk6ll

Don't know if this link will work for non-UK listeners.

You could pre order the cd, select the wav files, and burn your own until then.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

I thought 9.5

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
"Meanwhile, Jonny Greenwood’s brittle modernist string arrangement reinforces the angst, turning the orchestra into a giant pair of gnashing teeth. It’s a vintage splash of Radiohead stomach acid, a cloud of gnats unleashed in your cranial nerves."

Nothing will ever match the insane manic episode of their Kid A review though.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

This review written while the reviewer swirled PBR in a snifter glass and wore a fedora.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

This review written while the reviewer swirled PBR in a snifter glass and wore a fedora.

Ha! Could you imagine?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Will we find out what the busy tracks are come June with the physical release? Johnny insinuated that Lift may be one.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BigFactory posted:

Ha! Could you imagine?

Yeah because I've literally seen that at a bar recently, though I don't think he was writing for pitchfork.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah because I've literally seen that at a bar recently, though I don't think he was writing for pitchfork.

You saw him pour Pabsts blue ribbon into a brandy snifter or could hr possibly have been drinking Belgian ale in a Belgian ale glass.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

BigFactory posted:

You saw him pour Pabsts blue ribbon into a brandy snifter or could hr possibly have been drinking Belgian ale in a Belgian ale glass.

No, I literally saw him get a tallboy of PBR and a snifter glass, and proceeded to pour said PBR into said glass.

These people actually exist, yes.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nail Rat posted:

No, I literally saw him get a tallboy of PBR and a snifter glass, and proceeded to pour said PBR into said glass.

These people actually exist, yes.

I saw a big fat guy at a chinese restaurant bar order a Captain and milk once.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Anyway, it's a good album but Pitchfork guy needs to tone it down a little IMO

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Louisgod posted:

Will we find out what the busy tracks are come June with the physical release? Johnny insinuated that Lift may be one.

If you look at the promo photo of the special edition, you can just barely make out Spectre and something called N Wind on the bonus disc.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

For anyone who likes Decks Dark then I would urge you to check out The Bogus Man and For Your Pleasure on Roxy Music's Album "For Your Pleasure". If you like fluttery wowwing, weird ambient sounds and spooky piano plinking then you must check out these tunes. Lots of echo too! The rest of the album kicks all sort of rear end. Forget what you think you know about Roxy Music and submerge yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZjuaU0jOyo

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

HD DAD posted:

If you look at the promo photo of the special edition, you can just barely make out Spectre and something called N Wind on the bonus disc.

Bummer. Oh well, Lift's lyrics don't line up with the theme of the album anyway.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Tinker Tailor wasn't working for me at first, but 10 plays in I'm really loving it. Reminds me of a spookier Gorillaz.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Famethrowa posted:

Tinker Tailor wasn't working for me at first, but 10 plays in I'm really loving it. Reminds me of a spookier Gorillaz.

Strangely the opening piano notes of Decks Dark also remind me of Gorillaz.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet

Popcorn posted:

Strangely the opening piano notes of Decks Dark also remind me of Gorillaz.

Yep. The very start of, I think it's Present Tense, reminds me a little of Revolving Doors from The Fall.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The beginning of Present Tense is stuck in my head because it sounds like sashaying onto a Spanish beach.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

The beginning of Present Tense is stuck in my head because it sounds like sashaying onto a Spanish beach.

I've seen a lot of people referring to it as a "samba" rhythm.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
In Rainbows contends for best Radiohead album for me, but I've never ever understood the love for House of Cards. There needed to be a "breather" between Reckoner and Jigsaw for sure so it's a fine track within the album, but I do not get the praise people give it as a stand-alone song.

Can someone who really likes the song share why they dig it so much? I'd be curious to listen to it again with a different perspective on it.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Probably Magic posted:

Beach album confirmed

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Thom also does walk onto a beach during the video for Daydreaming.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

kalensc posted:

In Rainbows contends for best Radiohead album for me, but I've never ever understood the love for House of Cards. There needed to be a "breather" between Reckoner and Jigsaw for sure so it's a fine track within the album, but I do not get the praise people give it as a stand-alone song.

Can someone who really likes the song share why they dig it so much? I'd be curious to listen to it again with a different perspective on it.

It's a beautiful, gorgeous song and I love Thom's singing in it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

A couple lines of Thom's vocals for Decks Dark reminds me of Massive Attack's Teardrop

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Also the beginning of it is Maps by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

House of Cards is probably my favorite song from IR. That final chorus :cry:

Funny story, the first time I listened to Kid A I started having a panic attack halfway through the second song (not because of the music, of course, but it certainly didn't help).
I decided that continuing to listen to the album might calm me down. That was probably a mistake.

My two least favorite albums are HTTT and TKOL, though that doesn't mean much considering there are some really good songs on both. Separator and There There come to mind.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

kalensc posted:

I love how the main percussion sounds like a large second hand on a clock kinda like in Videotape. The live version before In Rainbows was released was a huge fan favorite, including Arpeggi and Videotape. The slower version of Videotape on IR was hugely disappointing compared to the superior live version.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Decades posted:

.. they thought the chorus was "Move Your Arse / Make It Rain", conjuring the imagine of Thom in a pub standing on the bar in a fur coat throwing 20 pound notes at people.
That's amazing. When i get to that part it's now impossible to not imagine that.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Nail Rat posted:

Anyway, it's a good album but Pitchfork guy needs to tone it down a little IMO

I only care about Pitchfork's written reviews for Radiohead and Kanye West, because they ramp up the pretension for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

For as long as I've loved True Love Waits, I've been certain he said 'To have your babies', rather than 'To have you be at peace'.

It sounds exactly like that in both versions. I can't hear 'be at peace' no matter how hard I try. They have such different connotations. :ohdear: